22yo, Dr. Feller, Ab Ovo Trip Report (and other such ramblings)

N.B. to those who read, filter what is said through the lens of me being slightly hammered after downing two Scorpion Bowls (actually didn't down two "scorpion bowls", but foolishly, albeit unwittingly drank a little bit) w/ my mother....**shameless plug #1** Hanata (Japanese) Fusion Restaurant and Bar makes a mean Scorpion Bowl and has wonderful, crispy duck, ahem.

The Night Before

I arrive to Inn At Great Neck and immediately start wondering if knowledge really is always power, and whether or not I should have spent so much time on the Bosley Medical Violation website. Any irrational anxieties, however, are quickly quelled when I scoped out the sick, hanging TV in my room and an eclectic supply of Pirate's Booty on the top of the cabinet.

N.B. #2 it is often said that Caramel Pirate's Booty and Scorpion Bowls have a synergistic effect, and tonight proved no different.

Settling into my room, my mother and I make haste into the mellow, but wholly interesting and refined night of Great Neck, NY. In well over a year, this is the first time I have exposed myself to the public sans Dermmatch and/or Toppik. And it felt awkward, but liberating; like the first time you wear a pink shirt, or so I imagine....we amble along, and find out way to the aforementioned Scorpion Bowls and crispy duck.

N.B #3 the sushi looked to be amazing, but I wasn't about to risk getting food poisoned for the third time in as many months by gorging oneself on raw fish....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Drunk, but not altogether mentally absent, I run down my master check-list of potentially useful items, paying particular attention the narcotic section of my list. Perhaps losing my hair @ 20 and electing to get a series of HT is a disguised blessing after all. Speaking of blessings, **shameless plug #2** Dr. Feller's office is situated in close proximity to a Chinese "ChiGong" massage shop; indeed, right across the street from the Inn At Great Neck you can have your back and neck trampled upon and come out feeling wonderful. Highly recommended, even if you elect to go about your business sans trampling.

My father has called me about 8 times in the span of 8 hours as he thinks I am about to go to the butcher store and come back with hair that resembles shredded honey-ham. It is with this vein that I will down an ambien, and retire to my chambers, bathing myself in a soothing slumber of ambien and Scorpion Bowlage where cell-phone rings just don't exist.

Surgical experience and frank dialogue of Why and How I got here to follow...

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

N.B. to those who read, filter what is said through the lens of me being slightly hammered after downing two Scorpion Bowls (actually didn't down two "scorpion bowls", but foolishly, albeit unwittingly drank a little bit) w/ my mother....**shameless plug #1** Hanata (Japanese) Fusion Restaurant and Bar makes a mean Scorpion Bowl and has wonderful, crispy duck, ahem.

The Night Before

I arrive to Inn At Great Neck and immediately start wondering if knowledge really is always power, and whether or not I should have spent so much time on the Bosley Medical Violation website. Any irrational anxieties, however, are quickly quelled when I scoped out the sick, hanging TV in my room and an eclectic supply of Pirate's Booty on the top of the cabinet.

N.B. #2 it is often said that Caramel Pirate's Booty and Scorpion Bowls have a synergistic effect, and tonight proved no different.

Settling into my room, my mother and I make haste into the mellow, but wholly interesting and refined night of Great Neck, NY. In well over a year, this is the first time I have exposed myself to the public sans Dermmatch and/or Toppik. And it felt awkward, but liberating; like the first time you wear a pink shirt, or so I imagine....we amble along, and find out way to the aforementioned Scorpion Bowls and crispy duck.

N.B #3 the sushi looked to be amazing, but I wasn't about to risk getting food poisoned for the third time in as many months by gorging oneself on raw fish....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Drunk, but not altogether mentally absent, I run down my master check-list of potentially useful items, paying particular attention the narcotic section of my list. Perhaps losing my hair @ 20 and electing to get a series of HT is a disguised blessing after all. Speaking of blessings, **shameless plug #2** Dr. Feller's office is situated in close proximity to a Chinese "ChiGong" massage shop; indeed, right across the street from the Inn At Great Neck you can have your back and neck trampled upon and come out feeling wonderful. Highly recommended, even if you elect to go about your business sans trampling.

My father has called me about 8 times in the span of 8 hours as he thinks I am about to go to the butcher store and come back with hair that resembles shredded honey-ham. It is with this vein that I will down an ambien, and retire to my chambers, bathing myself in a soothing slumber of ambien and Scorpion Bowlage where cell-phone rings just don't exist.

Surgical experience and frank dialogue of Why and How I got here to follow...

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

"ChiGong" massage shop? Hope your mom didn't go in with you. Those places can get Pr-T-I-E down 'n dirty!

Don't drink too much Pirate Booty (what is this: Beyonce meets Black Beard lingo?). You'll end up spending all your money on a happy-time massage paror! Having friendship massage with sm nice yng girl!!!

AND

won't have any dough left to buy your new do from Fellar!!!

Aren't you NOT supposed to drink the night before your head receives its Holy Annointment from the Father, as your blood is shed into your baptism of new hair?

Your going to be one happy man in a few months!

congrats!

---and keep us posted on the adventures of mr. hair and da friendship massage paror!!! I have a feeling you might drink too much Pirate Booty and wake up tomorrow morning in MiHung massage room, with all your do' dough spent and nothing to show for it save some scavies or other Pirate's disease...

Thankfully I am one for hyperbole and my mother is a lush...nonetheless, worrysome.

-----------

Can't believe I drank.....stunned. I read and re-read the what to do's, what not to do's, when to do's, lists 8ways to sunday icon_confused.gif...mea culpa.... icon_frown.gif

-----------

Ugh. Well, I probably had the equivolence of 1, maybe 2 drinks; and I followed every other blood thinning related precept to a T....can't find much detailed info on this, I'm not sure if a little drink the night before is going to be my ruin....

-----------

Whats in these scorpion bowls as they sound nice .Alcohol does thin the blood and make you bleed more as your clotting agents dont work to well but as long as your not obliterated and start drinking gallons of water to flush the alcohol out your system i think you should be ok.

how much of these bowls did your mama drink icon_smile.gif

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Good luck tomorrow t_a. Even though you're not supposed to drink I highly doubt a couple of scorps will cause any issues. All that crispy duck probably soaked it right up. Sounds like NG2GB has been to some of those HAPPY ENDING massagiiiiiiii parlors :-). Pretty cool that you have a good close relationship with your parents since mom came along for the trip. Just make sure she's not doing your laundry at 30 :-). I've never told a soul (not girlfriends nor family) and I suspect it may be a skeleton I take to my grave. Sometimes I wonder if it would be liberating to share with close ones but naaaah I prefer the dirty little secret.

Anywhooo. Look forward to seeing some great results for you 3+ months down the road. No miagi do karate for a while cuz rubbin some dermatch on the sparring partners gui is one thing but shedding on them is quite another.

thanatopsis,

Because you will be in great hands with Dr. Feller, I don't really have to wish you good luck. icon_smile.gif

I will admit however, that I am a bit concerned that you've had a few drinks the night before. Please make sure you tell Dr. Feller so he is aware.

Come back to share your experience and photos when you have a chance.

Bill

Hey guys,

Appreciate the kind words of support. Well, the deed is done and I just returned to my hotel room...I need to first say some words about Dr. Feller and his staff, because they really did go above and beyond their "typical" commitment to excellence.

I really can't speak highly enough of Dr. Feller and his team; they all have a true passion for hair restoration, and they really do strive for the best that a patient can receive. I was no exception today. I did slip up and had some alcohol last night....ironic considering right before I went to buy socks and a nail clipper to make extra sure that I didn't hurty my grafts when I sleep!! Taking your advice, I made sure to alert Dr. Feller right away.

While I didn't drink a terrible amount, I did drink enough to inrease whatever inclinations I had to bleeding and "popping"....this did make the procedure more complex and lenghty than it had to be, yet Dr. Feller and his staff worked tirelessly -- and meticulously -- in conquering the setback and forging ahead towards optimal results. I don't beleive many doctors would have been able to do this, or been willing. So, once again, I thank the entire Feller Operation for showing true dedication and care, which I truly do appreciate. (**conjuring up plans to express a tangible "thank you"**).

Ok, now for some brighter news: the work came out great, and with my donor charachteristics I think the result is really going to be super. We got the 3k (and some change) grafts that was our goal, and built a hairline that I *love* and think to be very appropriate. The surgery was a breaze for me, save for some minor neck cramping towards the end....but, then again, the surgery was longer than it even had to be. I woul rate my overall discomfort during the procedure as a 2.5....the shots were a literal pain, but you are so excited and pumped up you get over it quickly. I was stunned by virtually feeling nothing as Dr. Feller excised my donor and made his incisions. Post-op, I felt some VERY minor pains in my head, but after popping a painkiller I feel 100%.

I look forward to documenting my progress with this community. I can confidently say that without this site and it's members I would NOT have just received such a high-quality, safe procedure; and that the altetnative very well could have been disastrous!

-----------

Glad it all went well in the end after your night before little drink.I`m looking forward to seeing your pictures.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

glad to hear it all worked out. now remember the one most important factor in your recovery is to have the utmost PATIENCE...in a year you'll be able to fully judge the results. good growing to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hey friend

Godspeed - you know i'll be following your progress like a hawk icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

The wait truly begins; but a wonderful wait it is! In the coming days I will start assembling a weblog and posting pics.

Balody, I haven't actually been told this, but I *think* "popping" means that when the grafts are being placed they don't take well (perhas due to a lack of coagulation?) and keep "popping" out.

-----------

Ya, I was (am) QUITE embrassed by my gaffe the night before and have felt seriously terrible about it; for the life of me I still don't what I was thinking -- or not thinking to be more precise, as I had been taking every other precaution leading up my surgery and it was so uncharachteristic of me.....just one of those weird things, I guess....it was like the first thing I made sure I stopped doing leading up the surgery (drinking, even on NewYears), that by the time the day came I was just so consumed by everything other than drinking that I had a drink unwittingly.

But ya, a lesson to all, indeed -- do not do *anything* (be it a sip of alcohol or a tablt of ibiprofun) that messes with your blood and make sure to never forget. All is well that ends well, though, and I will *never* make a slip up like that again for sure!

-----------

Balody wrote:

"i certainly hope he had been drinking cos i didnt understand a word he wrote,he,ll be in surgery today but goodluck anyway than!"

Balody, sometimes you crack me up!

Thanatopsis you were a great patient. I know it's hard to sit still like you did all day, but I beleive you will agree it was well worth it in just a few months.

Popping is when a graft or grafts pop out of the recipient site it was placed into usually due to the placement of another graft nearby. Incidence of popping will increase in skin that has been previous scarred by surgery or trauma. It will also increase in skin that has had alot of lumps, bumps, and "black and blue" marks in the past usually from sports trauma and horse play.

Popping will also increase in patients who are anti-coagulated from medicines, heavy running before surgery, aspirin, vitamins, and alcohol.

While a person who is somewhat anti-coagulated may bleed a bit more during surgery, thankfully I've never had to cancel a case because of it. The length of time a case may take toward completion may increase, but we have thankfully always been able to get the job done thanks to some countering techniques and teamwork.