Collateral shock loss?

Is it possible or normal that a transplant in the frontal region of the scalp would cause either shock loss or accelerated thinning near the back/top ( not the crown ) where there were no grafts placed?

I just got out of the shower and was rubbing the hair there over the sink and a lot of hairs came out. Maybe 1000 after 3 minutes. They say normal is approx 50/100 per day. I wouldn't say they are exactly miniaturized but not full strength either. If I pinch a group there I can get 2-3 hairs at a time in some spots.

I gotta admit, since I had the HT ( 5 weeks post ) and especially since my latest buzz to even out the hair I have had my paws on my head a lot. This may be a factor?

I'm in trouble huh?

But I have to say in fairness to my fear, I have been finding a lot of hairs on my kitchen floor for over a year. I was always surprised by how many and that I never noticed any thinning in the months afterwards, but I never have directly rubbed my hair like I did tonight over a counter so I can't compare that from months past. Maybe I'm just a fast shedder/re-grower?

p.s. To all the propecia pushers out there .. Not an option, I just wont do it.

Is it possible or normal that a transplant in the frontal region of the scalp would cause either shock loss or accelerated thinning near the back/top ( not the crown ) where there were no grafts placed?

I just got out of the shower and was rubbing the hair there over the sink and a lot of hairs came out. Maybe 1000 after 3 minutes. They say normal is approx 50/100 per day. I wouldn't say they are exactly miniaturized but not full strength either. If I pinch a group there I can get 2-3 hairs at a time in some spots.

I gotta admit, since I had the HT ( 5 weeks post ) and especially since my latest buzz to even out the hair I have had my paws on my head a lot. This may be a factor?

I'm in trouble huh?

But I have to say in fairness to my fear, I have been finding a lot of hairs on my kitchen floor for over a year. I was always surprised by how many and that I never noticed any thinning in the months afterwards, but I never have directly rubbed my hair like I did tonight over a counter so I can't compare that from months past. Maybe I'm just a fast shedder/re-grower?

p.s. To all the propecia pushers out there .. Not an option, I just wont do it.

I haven't asked my doctor about this. Thought I would see if anyone here knows or has some related experience. I'm clinging to the hope that this is just normal for me, or that all my fuzz pawing may be the cause.

I've heard of this before..

u can have some shock loss in areas u did not recieve a graft !! that should plateau soon and then u should grow those hairs back..

were u using rogaine prior & not now ? that could lead to rebound hair loss !!

r u sure about the propecia? how about the alternate day dosing ?

Get on MSM and B-complex if ur not already.

oh & did u check with Dr. Wong about it ?

Good that you have heard about this before. The area though is inches away from any grafts, no where close really but only on top in the back but outside of the safe donor area. Where natural loss would occur in that "half circle" area near the back top.

I did get a little shock loss near the scar, which makes perfect sense, but it is returning fortunately and I didn't experience any shock loss in the immediate recipient area.

I've never used any meds and never will. I'm pretty sure about this. I would rather know the real state of my loss and deal with it as it comes. I went to Dr. Hasson instead of Dr. Wong but haven't asked him about this.

Rambler, this is a good point you bring up, I am wondering if this happened to me also.

I had a procedure in summer 06 and I noticed a distinct loss from mid scalp tocrown, even though I was thinning/balding there to begin with. I have wondered if the procedure accelerated this loss even though the grafts were not placed there.

I am now working on setting up procedure #2 because the loss to mid scalp is very noticeable, but I need the next HT to make up for further shockloss... its a vicious cycle it seems...

Rambler,

I'd like to hear a physician's input on this. But here are my thoughts...

Shock loss should (if at all) only occur to native hair if hair was transplanted in between or around it. However, your scalp was traumatized overall from the donor to the recipient, so I suppose it could be possible that it could induce additional shedding.

But hair loss is also progressive and without Propecia, you simply may lose it if your hair loss is destined to progress that far. You may want to try Rogaine Foam for the area to see if that will help.

Best wishes,

Bill

condoguy,

I would think if it happens 2 years after a procedure it would be normal thinning progression, but just weeks afterwards makes me think it could possibly be due to overall scalp trauma as Bill suggested. The donor area on top is still numb so maybe this has a direct affect.

During week 2-4 I also noticed pretty bad dryness ( dandruff ) in the numb area, and *only* in the numb area, which wasn't there before the surgery but has since cleared up.

Now I'm finding this is happening in the donor area too above the scar where there is/was no loss whatsoever. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Rambler, I didn't say that my shed started now, it started soon after my procedure and the hair has not grown back. I don't have any pics to document, so perhaps it was going to happen regardless.

you should be on meds if you hope to keep any native hair after a HT however.

Guest Martin E.Tessler M.D.

the size of the procedure can be a factor. With a very large procedure one could get shock loss in the area between the donor and recipient areas. This can vary with the patient and the surgeon.

Smaller sessions can cause this as well so I disagree that it has to do with session size. It's just something that, while rather uncommon, is not something that can be predicted. All in all it should come back in a couple of months though so don't think this is something that is isolated for your case. Just hunker down for the "ugly duckling " phase and you'll be alright.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians