Surgery Tomorrow! :D

Hello everyone. I know I haven't posted much here but I have lurked for months. This site has been a great resource for me.

I am having my first procedure tomorrow with Dr. Gencheff. I had a great consultation with him and Pat's recommendation sealed the deal for me. Dr. Gencheff and I both agree with going forward with a conservative approach. About a 1,000 or so grafts in the front to construct a hairline with the appearance of some recession. I don't want a completely restored hairline but one that will look less conspicuous now at the age of 28 and later when I'm in my 40's or 50's. This approach will leave me with much more leeway for future procedure's. So wish me luck. I can't believe I am actually going through with this.

I posted my pre-op pictures in a blog. So feel free to check them out. I was hoping you guys could check out my "concealers" entry. You'll be able to see that I'm having a bit of a color match problem with the light brown dermmatch. It's a bit too red, even though I have strawberry blonde hair. Let me know what you guys would do.

Much appreciated!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hello everyone. I know I haven't posted much here but I have lurked for months. This site has been a great resource for me.

I am having my first procedure tomorrow with Dr. Gencheff. I had a great consultation with him and Pat's recommendation sealed the deal for me. Dr. Gencheff and I both agree with going forward with a conservative approach. About a 1,000 or so grafts in the front to construct a hairline with the appearance of some recession. I don't want a completely restored hairline but one that will look less conspicuous now at the age of 28 and later when I'm in my 40's or 50's. This approach will leave me with much more leeway for future procedure's. So wish me luck. I can't believe I am actually going through with this.

I posted my pre-op pictures in a blog. So feel free to check them out. I was hoping you guys could check out my "concealers" entry. You'll be able to see that I'm having a bit of a color match problem with the light brown dermmatch. It's a bit too red, even though I have strawberry blonde hair. Let me know what you guys would do.

Much appreciated!

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

To be frank, my initial reaction is that 1k grafts is *way* to low a number for you, especially for a strip procedure -- even taking into account a very "conservative" approach that doesn't look to rectify an entire frontal region in a single pass. icon_confused.gif

I'm not saying this to ruffle your feathers in any way; I just say this to make sure you are totally cognizent of what 1k grafts will most likely end up looking like when applied to the given balding region you choose.

Concealer pics look great, btw -- nanogen and dermmatch are remarkable tools.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

yeah, not sure 1k strip procedure sounds like such a great idea. i would like to see a picture of the hairline he drew for you because based on how much loss you have it's gonna be ultra conservative/high. also, you might have a hairline but what about the area behind that (zone 2)?

i hope you're not letting money effect your decision to do such a small strip procedure....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yeah, I was wondering if a 1,000 grafts would be enough. But he's should me pics of similar patients and they looked really good even with lower number of grafts. But I'll plan on bringing it up again in the morning consultation.

Like hairthere said, a concern that I'd have as well is that even if the 1k establishes some semblence of a hairline, you have enough damage behind that region, "zone 2ish", where I don't see how it could look good, let alone natural.

IMHO, double that graft total -- 2k -- would still be very conservative, but I could see how you could end with something that looks natural, and satisfies your goal of an actual hairline, with an ample amount of recession and not a whole lot of density, of course.

You seem to have fine hair, also, which really won't help aid the cause of making a graft go a long way.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

I'd go for at least 1,500; maybe even 2,000 grafts. If $ is the issue, I think you'd be ahead by even financing the additional 500 grafts as you'll surely be wanting to go back in a year or so.

I do think you'll see a nice difference with 1,000 but will still be bald... icon_frown.gif

But, you'll still be better off!

I went through the same thing as you might be going through. At first I didn't want "too much" of a change, and finally I decided to just about double the amount I went for. And I'm glad I did. Not that it's painful or anything, it's just some emotional and physical things about the after in the transplant that I'd like to limit....

Anyway, good luck.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Aaron--1000 grafts will not be sufficient to achieve anything other than a re-established hairline.

Additionally, b/c you cannot simply place all the grafts in front, they will be spread out and thin.

At 28, and with your level of loss, you need to decide if you want to undergo a strip session for 1000 grafts--essentially signing you up for a lifetime commitment.

You look like a strip candidate, but for 2-3 thousand grafts, not 1000.

I like Dr. Gencheff's work and I have seen a patient of his in person, so there is no question about his actual work.

However, absent some circumstance I am not aware of, I am having a difficult time understanding this treatment plan.

If you have a tight donor and you cannot get more grafts than you are likely not a strip candidate.

If the concern is financial(we all understand that one!) then you should hold off until you can do a decent sized session.

My advice is to re-consult with Dr. Gencheff and see what he says.

Your 28, with what looks like a fair amount of baldness...I would not be comfortable with a strip scar.

IF you only want some coverage to blend with concealers--your best bet is to do FUE --1000-1200 grafts, re-establish your hairline and leave options open for the future.

Your hair looks great with concealers, so that is good plan, IMO.

Please let us know how things go, what decision you make and how you arrived there.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Ok, so I called Dr. Gencheff's clinic to double check. I misunderstood what he told me at our previous consultation. He is going to try to get as much out of my donor area as possible for the procedure tomorrow. His estimation is that I will have somewhere between 1500 to 2000 follicular units at his disposal. Sorry about the confusion but I'm feeling better about it now. Thanks for all of the comments. I'll keep you all posted.

aaron,

1500-2000 grafts is a much better estimate, but will still only be a nice start, depending on your hair restoration goals.

Dr. Gencheff does high quality work, but leans toward smaller sessions. This approach is not wrong, but know that it will take a greater number of surgeries to accomplish your hair restoration goals.

You will be in good hands. I hope you'll share your experience and photos with us.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey everyone. I had the surgery. All went well. Not much at pain at all. Just a lot of prickling. Dr. Gencheff and his staff were great. Pat is right in his assessment that the clinic has a family feel. I had a total of 2100 follicular units. So I'm excited and ready to move on. I'll post more picks once I get this bandage off my head tomorrow. Cheers. icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear things went well. Rest up, take of your new babies, and report back with pics for us hairmongers to ogle! icon_smile.gif

-----------