not all are ---U, V, or square hairline's

NW

In my opinion,

We can get wrapped up in classifying hairlines as U, V, or square. But there are so many that are not necesarrily one or the other, like mine.

I would say it falls into the "U" pattern but has several "jagged" purposely irregular edges and does not even fall into the "Stadium seating" look as suggested on this site, in fact perhaps a U that was slightly widened for a bit more coverage, but not quite a square temple look either, and some temple area left naturally receeded.

They come in all shapes I guess...

Just a 2 cents thought.

NW

In my opinion,

We can get wrapped up in classifying hairlines as U, V, or square. But there are so many that are not necesarrily one or the other, like mine.

I would say it falls into the "U" pattern but has several "jagged" purposely irregular edges and does not even fall into the "Stadium seating" look as suggested on this site, in fact perhaps a U that was slightly widened for a bit more coverage, but not quite a square temple look either, and some temple area left naturally receeded.

They come in all shapes I guess...

Just a 2 cents thought.

NW

I think the debate is not as much about the shape of hairline, as about the way it connects with the sides (which in a way dictates the shape).

when I first decided I wanted an HT, I was going to lower my hairline. It wasn't until much later that I realized that all I really need is temple work - I don't mind high placed hairline, as long as it joins the sides at right angles. I think temple work has been for the most part neglected - for example Dr. Bernstein told me they don't do temple work (but then again, they also don't go over 25 grafts per cm2). I believe it's wrong. Sure temple work carries certain risks with it, but at the expense of 500-1000 grafts you can obtain dramatic results, and most importantly, it can be done with FUE only - cosmetic surgery at its best. Temple work is not for everybody - if you're high on NW scale, then you are probably not going for a perfect 'Brad Pitt' hairline. Your priority would be to get something that looks ok, and won't extinguish your donor supply. If on the other hand you are a NW2, NW3 at most, with no MPB running in the family, and on medication, than why not? It then simply becomes another cosmetic surgery (again - I'm making an assumpion your hairloss doesn't progress). I admit, I'm still in my early 20's and my views may change when I'm 30, 40 years old, but then again maybe they won't. I certainly won't be waiting 20 years to find out. The best years of my life, are supposed to be now, not when I'm old.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(but then again, they also don't go over 25 grafts per cm2).

I've see this quoted as a "fact" here several times. I would like to know if this is based on anything concrete? I am not aware of anyone at NHI making this "rule" for themselves... can you validate?

The reasons not to do temples are numerous, but easy to ignore for some guys...

Think about square temples this way. They can look appropriate on a 20 year old guy. However your face, hair, body and attitudes are going to change over time. You are going to undergo tremendous changes between age 20 and, say, age 40.

Think about how much you have changed between age 10 and 20, or age 15 and 25; I mean how much your face physically changed. What if you really wanted a nose job at age 10... would it still look correct at age 25?

Highly unlikely, in my opinion.

It is possible that squared temples will last a lifetime and give a guy a lot of satisfaction.

However, it is also VERY possible that like many other guys, permanent squared-off temples from a transplant will become a cosmetic negative for a guy when he is older. This comment is based on reading basically almost every top doctor bemoaning all the damged guys they have had to try to fix, over the years. Repair work is at epidemic levels... with some doctors it is one-third to one-half of all their new patients. Removing grafts from a squared temple is one of the most difficult repairs in the world of HT, and can never look truly perfect, as you are exposing scarred areas on your forehead. So while your boxed temples may work out, if they turn into a problem there is hell to pay.

Now please, nobody post that they only care about their lives from the ages of 20 to 35, or anything like that... it will only PROVE to me that you don't have the emotional maturity or foresight to get involved with life-altering permanent cosmetic surgery like hair transplants.

The whole trick here is to minimize your risks, because hair transplants are always (always!) a gamble, even in the best-case scenarios. Minimizing your risks means picking the best-possible doctor, picking a reasonable goal, having a good plan, etc. Many guys have no hairloss, but then hit 35 or 45 (or whatever) and lose hair like crazy. There are no guarantees. Even the best doctors have some patients who are "less satisfied" than others. Etc. So the key is to play it smart, and don't go out on a limb, because (speaking from personal experience) it is one HELL of a drop.

Unfortunately there is an attitude among some less-experienced guys that the doctors who urge cautious planning are somehow "less able" than a doctor who throws caution to the wind. These aggressive doctors may be gamblers, but it is not their own life that they gamble with, it is the lives of insecure and vulnerable young men who don't actually understand the meaning of their actions.

Good post NW. The urge to narrow hairlines down to 2 or 3 shapes is too simplistic. Look at Dr. True's site for a range of different hairlines (I don't know True's work and am not recommending him, I just noticed that he illustrates several different types of hair styles on his site). The guys who say they don't like a U or V shape really mean that they want a hair transplant that will make it look like they do not have any hair loss whatsoever. This is a totally unrealistic goal for anybody who might actually need a hair transplant in the first place.

(Oh yeah, the other problem with a lot of square temple work is that it is not a "stand-alone procedure")

Choose wisely and maximize your odds of happiness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

The guys who say they don't like a U or V shape really mean that they want a hair transplant that will make it look like they do not have any hair loss whatsoever. This is a totally unrealistic goal for anybody who might actually need a hair transplant in the first place.

I wouldn't fit into your defninition of a person who needs a hair transplant - and I agree - I do want to look like like I never had any hair loss whatsoever (=NW1). I agree that there is a lot of risk involved, but at the same time I feel that it's the risk worth taking - of course that is something everybody needs to decide on their own, and I'm sure for most the risk would be unacceptable.

As far as a comment about 25 grafts per cm2, I'm not sure, but I believe I saw it for the first time, on Dr. Feller's density thread. I just tried to verify this on NHI's website, but couldn't find anything concrete, so it's possible that it's not true. I know for a fact however that they don't do fill-in temple work.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Microprose,

I think you should listen to Arfy.

I hate to be blunt, but if you need a hair transplant in your early 20's, you are VERY LIKELY to have extensive hair loss later in life, most likely NW6-7. You won't have enough donor hair to cover all of your bald areas, and will look like an ABSOLUTE FREAK with squared temples. Trust me, you will regret it.

I am over 40 now, and think I look much better with a slight recession.I have plenty of donor hair, but you couldn't pay me enough to get my temples squared.

Please don't disregard my post. I have read extensively on hair restoration. Don't be in denial, because you may do something that you will regret in ten years. Please, wake up and consult with other HT doctors before you make a big mistake.

I agree Arfy has made a very valid point on hairline, I am happy I listened to him early on. I was a dificult newbie too...I told my 1st Doc put me way back in time...its normal, hell we all what to look like Brad Pitt etc.. nothin wrong with that !!!

Also I think there is nothing personal here either, because he mentions any guy could have a nice hairline for life...some guys can definately pull it off.. (I agree)

But,

He qualifies that with..."most" guys experiencing hairloss..are not best suited for such an aggresive square temple..if you see your hair going at a young age, that is NOT a good sign for aggressive work. It is very difficult, almost impossible to cleanly extract frontal/temple hair later....ouch !! you dont want to hafta be in them shoes..

The message is just be careful and be certain..

I think honestly "if" Pat ever hires a true "staff" member it should be Arfy, he tells you what some docs may sidestep, and I know his intentions are genuine (not personal).

I wish every single guy hair happiness, but boy I almost jumped in too quick....."just be sure to look both ways before crossing"

NW

[This message was edited by NW on April 27, 2003 at 09:52 PM.]

temple work is one of the biggest issues now as far as i'm concerned. If we are aware of the finite donor supply that we all have, the good transplant work, and the good rugs available, for alot of guys its the sides and the temples that give it away to the trained eye instead of the work itself. Someone mentioned dr true and i respect him opinion very much and i think he does good work, for me he underestimated what i would need for good coverage.

Placing a hairline too low, or not addressing temples w/ good graft work is as bad as getting doll plugs

Yes, as I've said many times it is all a risk even if you are a good candidate.

Seeing some examples of high density and lower and squared off temples scares the hell out of me.

I hope to god that people who have committed to that hair do not progress to NW6+, or their lives will be a pathetic state of affairs. They will become a slave to the hair system as I was once slave to the baseball cap.

Sure, you'll make it, but your existance is a bit of a sham on some level and you know it because that is how you feel.

But to each his own. I based my HT on the fact that my hairloss pattern is very similar to my father's and several uncles and cousins on my father's side. They all have very strong sides with good density. They are all NW5 at worst with the worst case being thin crowns and thin tops. If I had seen a pattern of NW6+ in my family, I would have been very hesitant to do anything.

And still I risk that I will be the corner case and my hairloss will be worse than anticipated.

But still, I feel I've made a reasonable bet. I'll deal with a thin crown when it comes, go with the bet that the "lateral hump" (I'm referring to the height of the sides and back) region remains strong.

I personally would like a thick top and reasonable hairline. I hope that end is achieved.

If I squared off, lowered, and dense packed my temples, I would be a very nervous human being knowing that NW5 is probably in my future. But I am not nervous at all. And that is worth a lot to me.

What is it worth to you?

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I agree with you 100% vocor. I went as conservative as I possibly could last week, with no temple work. I try to envision my situation when I turn, say 50 (I'm currently 38). I wanted a slight recession, and that will look perfectly normal for the rest of my life, I hope anyway. With my family history of very little hairloss, and my current state, about NW2 - NW3 (and I've been slowly losing hair since I was 19 **by the way, for years I would massage my temples and scalp, and I'm convinced that has helped because in a couple periods where I was lazy is where I'd notice more hairloss), and ample donor supply in the doctor's judgement, he said I could have even went a tad bit more aggressive. But I went as conservative as I could that would still provide me good astethic benefits. So I think I was in a position to push the envelope a bit, but in my eyes there's to much at stake here, and being as conservative as possible, while still making you feel good about yourself again, is the way to go, or at least safest.

Tkotko,

I think you definitely did the right thing. As I pointed out on another thread, if, after your hair fully grows in, you don't like the way it looks you can always go back and get more "aggressive" later. But if you go too aggressively at first, and you don't like the results, well you're just plain out of luck. Also, many guys are surprised at how good a conservative hairline looks when it consists of "new," healthy hairs and not thin, wispy hairs that are on their way to the hair "graveyard."

One of the many "bottom lines" to HT's is that whatever is done, is, well "done." You really cannot "erase" an undesirable result.

tkotko:

I've seen your picts and know your doctor (meaning I've met him). You will be very happy with your improvement.

I'll be honest, at first when the doctor and I came to a decision about the hairline placement, I was a bit skeptical. I could not have predicted how utterly happy I would become from a much thicker top, no more frontal tuft, and moderately filled in temples. I see you took the same approach. I think you'll be thrilled.

And it'll never look weird at any age unless something very unpredictable happens.

I'm reaching a time the next 3 to 6 months where I have to decide if I want to "get greedy". Get greedy in my case is add 600-1500 more FU to the top and broaden the V slightly.

We'll see.

HotCreek: You absolutely hit it on the head! (No pun intended). You can always alter things to your liking once you've seen the result but you can't undo a lot of poorly placed hairs. That is an excellent point!

Again, to each his own. Make an informed decision.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

vocor: based on your family history it is very likely you'd end up as NW5, and you correctly based your decision to go conservative on that assumption. In my case, based on my family history, it is highly unlikely I'll progress beyond NW2/3, and so I'm making my decision to go aggressive. I'm doing it in two FUE sessions 500 each, so after the first HT, I will be able to decide whether I want to just go moderately aggressvie, or all the way, and 'fine-tune' the results. I was asssured the first session would be a stand-alone, from aesthetical point of view (if of course I don't start to lose hair), but at this point I'm pretty sure I'll go for second session as well. I'm not losing hair, I'm simply unhappy with the shape of my hairline (just like one would be unhappy with shape of their nose, or chin) - if it can be fixed, why not?

Microprose:

I'm not worried about you. You've done your homework and you are going with what you think is the right decision for you. That's cool.

Others may not be as well researched or worse yet, they are indecisive.

The only way they can make an informed decision is to know the possible drawbacks (and benefits) of their HT decision.

A 22 year old NW3 with a family history of NW7s is not a good HT candidate. He wants his "old" hairline back, so he fixes today to ruin all his tomorrows. It isn't worth it.

Like I said, he'll become slave to a hair system. He'll have no options. And he'll be miserable.

How can an HT with such impending misery be anybody's savior? It can't.

Each person must evaluate themselves individually, but not all people are good candidates. If they aren't, then they have to shake off the self-pity and the "they're wrong" mentality. If they are a good candidate, then risk can be reassessed.

Plain and simple: Some people who actually want to "square off and bring forward" temples can pull it off and be satisfied for a lifetime. The vast majority cannot.

Why is that so? A man in his 30s or older doesn't usually want that young 20s hairline. Someone in their young 20s does. And if the guy in his young 20s has advanced hairloss, then probably, it is just beginning.

It is a real Catch-22. The men who most fervently desire the young, low hairline stand the most to lose by their decision simply because the way they feel right now and what their early hairloss indicates is their lot in the future.

I know it sucks. For the sake of others, they just need to think it through and not just "go for it".

As for Microprose, I look forward to hearing about your results and seeing your picts. And of course, best of luck to you!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Microprose,

I agree this thread is not really about you, in fact I am anxious for you with the "all FUE". This is for the guys that could have rapid hairloss later....as you have mentioned you will never have a large amount of hairloss and are not worried about it. No prob.

But most other guys will have substantial hairloss later in life, the point is just be careful, nothing more.

Keep us posted.

NW

I actually had an in person consultation with Dr. Bernstein at NHI. He pretty much 'kicked me out' of his office saying I'm too young for an HT, and they don't 'fill in' corners in the temples. I had to try really hard to get them to give me a prescription for Propecia at least, and have been on it for almost a year now. I will definitely continue to take it as long as I have hair, or until something better comes out. As far as hairloss I don't think I'm in denial - because my hairline is just as crappy on pics from years before, as it is now - must run in the family. I agree with you arfy (and I was told the same thing at NHI), that there are places out there where a doc will do anything for the customer, just to get his money. That's why I took my time to find what's right for me, and didn't rush into the whole thing.

I don't understand why you are using Propecia then, if you say you don't have male pattern baldness?

Is that why NHI didn't want to prescribe Propecia? Because you don't have MPB? They are ordinarily big advocates of Propecia for hair loss.

Also, NHI is a place where you can get examined for miniaturization...

I'm taking it because I read somewhere it makes hair stronger and thicker. I know this is meant to apply to miniaturized hair, but if there aren't any side-effects, might as well lower the level of DHT, just in case.

Voice of Reason here. icon_wink.gif

MICRO: I don't think it's fair to be calling you nuts or anything else, but I think when people question your actions here they're doing so out of legitimate concern for your well-being.

Some, such as Arfy, have painful first-hand experience with HT surgery. If they're angry or strong-willed/opinionated, it's not anger at YOU or even your opinions or decisions; it's anger at what they KNOW is a field in which the practitioners are sometimes the last to inform you clearly of the risks. If they are strong-willed, it is because they KNOW of what they speak. For a doctor, when the bottom line is the bottom line, said doc will go with whatever you want to believe, however erroneous. Just to get your moolah. I make a lot of the fact that HT is "mere cosmetic surgery" in my posts -- but besides the "mere" being rather relative, the fact that HT is cosmetic surgery makes it EASIER for some docs to justify crap behavior, as they can RATIONALIZE it thus: "Oh, it's not like if I screw up this guy's hair he's going to DIE or anything. Plus, if he doesn't like the results, he'll come back for more and I can make the BIG BUCKS BABY!!!"

It's your right, even your responsibility (to yourself personally and as a consumer), to question anyone's advice, comments or views on this forum. But there are reasons ol' Arfy is almost deified on this Web site -- the reasons are, again, the experience he has suffered and knowledge gained subsequently.

Think of it this way -- when are you likely to ask more objective questions: when you find a girl interested in you and want to get her to like you (before you've had any intimacy)? Or after you've been with her and she's left you? If you're like most guys I know, you're likely only to ask hard questions AFTER you've gone through hell with a woman. But BEFORE you've been with her, when you're hot for her -- especially if she's showing definite interest in you -- you're NOT going to be asking too many pointed questions because you're hoping not to "ruin" anything.

The only thing you risk ruining -- by asking questions of a woman, job, or HT -- are your ILLUSIONS and ultimate HEARTBREAK you WILL suffer if you are making the wrong choice.

My situation: I began NOTICING my hairloss around the age of 18 or 19. I, too, considered getting HT then. I HATED my hairline when it began to recede. But I'm almost 40 now and I'm only a NW 3 or so. I've had a productive, happy life -- which is FAR from over, hopefully icon_biggrin.gif -- and I've managed to look good at all my most important functions, on all the most important occasions, despite my hairloss. Hair STYLE has a LOT to do with it, but, that said, I can wear my hair any way I like and still look decent, if not good, DESPITE my hairloss.

My point is simply that NEVER getting an HT is NOT going to result in a sad, pathetic life, no girlfriends, no good photos, no happiness -- and neither is WAITING to get one. So if you're NOT losing hair and your motivation for HT is that you dislike your hairline, please reconsider and wait. You probably look just fine to everyone BUT YOU YOURSELF. If your hairloss is like mine and proves mild overall and gradual in the process, you can wait five years, continue to look good, THEN "top up" for that ultimate Brad Pitt look if you so desire. You will probably be able to feel more secure in getting that top up later, too, once you've seen how your hairloss is likely going to progress.

But if an HT screws you up you'll regret it the rest of your life.

I am considering HT now, but I may actually never get it done. I am honestly only CONSIDERING it. Why am I considering it at all? First because techniques have improved; when I was considering HT in MY twenties, it was PLUGVILLE. Thank GOD I waited! Imagine how techniques could improve if YOU wait five years -- maybe you CAN'T imagine. Maybe they will be so much better there's no comparing the "primitive" FUE we're so excited about now. But there's no way to know unless you DO wait. If nothing else, at least by waiting the FUE which is more on the edge now will be standard fare by the time you get it done, if you wait, and CHEAPER.

I'm also considering having HT now BECAUSE I HAVE waited. I now know that the rest of my hair is unlikely to go, and if it does it's more than likely to go as it has already gone -- slowly. It has taken me 20 years to get to NW 3; at this rate, I'll be at least 50 or maybe 55 if not 60 by the time I begin to notice any more hairloss. By then, I really don't care. And frankly, with my family's history, I think any further hairloss is unlikely.

You're wrong, Micro, when you say your twenties are "supposed to be" the best years of your life. Trust me. I had an AWESOME time in my 20s, but my 30s have been EVEN BETTER. If you're healthy and even a little lucky there's a LOT more to life than your 20s, a lot more to life than hairlines, and once your career gets going and you have lots of money -- or at least MORE money -- and once you have seen some of the world, had a few (more) girlfriends and so on you'll wonder why you ever thought your twenties were "supposed" to be the best. It's like when you were fed that bullshit in high school about THOSE years being "the best of times." What crap! HIGH SCHOOL? Uh, NO. Likewise, your twenties ARE great years, but so are your thirties, trust me. And this comes from a guy who, like you, USED to think the 20s were "supposed to" be the best and who ALSO seriously considered HT in his early 20s (when I was modelling professionally and didn't want to lose my looks for obvious reasons). I continued modelling and acting as my hair fell out and I only stopped when I began enjoying other work in the film industry more -- as well as making more money and getting more respect doing other things.

Blah blah blah.

If I were you, I'd put off the HT. I'd also refrain from responding to too many of these posts. Not that I'm advising you against participating on this forum. I like your thoughts very much and agree with many of them. But when you get into "reply mode" you (I mean "a person," not YOU personally) tend to argue to win, sort of thing, to defend your position; in other words, you stop listening. And listening, at this point, is what you should be doing. No matter how sure you are. You ARE too young for cosmetic surgery, in my opinion.

But you're NOT nuts to be considering it. icon_smile.gif

Pic

p.s. ON THE TOPIC THIS THREAD STARTED WITH: I agree, there ARE many types of hairlines. There is ALSO more to losing hair than receding hairlines, and I take issue with the idea of someone who has hair up front but less behind on the crown looking "unnatural." The "monk" look is one of the classic types of balding. Not EVERYone loses tons of hair up front. I have at least two friends who have solid, relatively straight hairlines (I admit they're thinner than they were when these guys were younger, but they're in tact and look GOOD not JUST "natural") but whose crowns shine in the sun like you would not believe. I'm sure they've caused car accidents behind them when they are driving with those bright, shiny chrome domes! But looking at them from the front, you wouldn't be able to tell they're balding.

This is A natural kind of balding. So, if you get hairline work and then later lose hair behind it, so what? That can be fine, too. For a real life example of what I mean, look at any photos of French soccer star Zidane. He's got a primo hairline, but he's as bald as a rock in back.

I hope when I'm your age I'll be able to express myself as precisely as you do it in all your posts. I enjoy reading them, because not only are they long, but they contain a lot of information - not necessarily related to HT, but about life in general. On a number of occassions you brought my spirits up, and making an analogy between an HT and a relationship is brilliant. Thanks for advice, but as far as getting an HT - I'm already committed, and won't turn back for anything. Only days separate me now from the procedure, and I am very much looking forward to it - I'll be sure to post some pictures afterwards.

quote from pic,

"p.s. ON THE TOPIC THIS THREAD STARTED WITH: I agree, there ARE many types of hairlines. There is ALSO more to losing hair than receding hairlines, and I take issue with the idea of someone who has hair up front but less behind on the crown looking "unnatural." The "monk" look is one of the classic types of balding. Not EVERYone loses tons of hair up front. I have at least two friends who have solid, relatively straight hairlines (I admit they're thinner than they were when these guys were younger, but they're in tact and look GOOD not JUST "natural") but whose crowns shine in the sun like you would not believe. I'm sure they've caused car accidents behind them when they are driving with those bright, shiny chrome domes! But looking at them from the front, you wouldn't be able to tell they're balding.

This is A natural kind of balding. So, if you get hairline work and then later lose hair behind it, so what? That can be fine, too. For a real life example of what I mean, look at any photos of French soccer star Zidane. He's got a primo hairline, but he's as bald as a rock in back."

pic, i'm glad you wrote this! i agree 110% when you say, " ...if you get hairline work and thn later lose hair behind it, so what?"

that's a point i feel some posters here don't really understand. some posters will say, "don't do aggressive work on the hairline or else you won't have anything left for the crown."

in my opinion, i say "SCREW THE CROWN!". I'd rather use all my donor hair for the hairline and the top of my head. if i run out of hair for the crown, oh well. this looks more appealing to me than a full crown, with hair on top and recession in the front.

so once again, thank you pic for posting your opinion!!

Texasnw,

I agree w/you for guys with extreme hairloss, absolutely leave the crown alone, however I think there are many men who are older with less severe loss, and these guys can use a crown dusting of FU's.

A 30 year old NW6-NW7 has very different options than a 45-50 year old NW3 ??.

Even though I say err on the side of Caution, I am very satisfied to Not have the small round patch in back. I spent 450 grafts on a very small area (coupled w/Propecia use), and I do get great satisfaction in growing my hair long and not seeing the bare spot.

Case by case...in my opinion.

NW

Ahh, so many opinions. It doesn't matter who is right or who the hell thinks he's right.

All that matters is that YOU (read: you the, reader of this thread) make a hairloss decision that you can live with and you will be happy with.

HTs can help your happiness or they can hurt it. But it is too important a decision not to know as much as you can about it.

The more opinions, the more actually knowledge gets passed and false info gets weeded out and squashed.

I think that is a great thing for everyone involved, including YOU.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power