not all are ---U, V, or square hairline's

NW

VOICE OF REASON HAS RETURNED icon_wink.gif

(you all KNOW that's just me kidding around, I hope, when I claim to be the VOICE OF REASON)

ALL: Thanks for your responses to what I wrote, though I didn't start this thread. Micro, I DO take time to give thought and energy to my posts, and if they end up long, well, that's just the nature of the beast -- but I'm glad you, for one, don't mind. Now if I could only get Harvey Wienstein to share your glowing opinion of my writing...

VOCOR1: Your motto on this forum is "knowledge is power," and opinions are of course one way of obtaining and/or disseminating knowledge. Given, opinion also gives rise to INCORRECT knowledge (ie. bullshit) -- but it's often only in sharing opinions, however accurate or erroneous, that we communicate what we know and what IS true. In other words, you have to allow for the mud and rock to get to the diamond.

You wrote: "Ahh, so many opinions." Yeah, isn't it great? God Bless America, where we CAN share our opinions.

You wrote: "All that matters is that YOU (read: you the, reader of this thread) make a hairloss decision that you can live with and you will be happy with."

Hopefully it's NOT a hairLOSS decision icon_eek.gif, but rather a decision on REGAINING lost hair. icon_wink.gif

You wrote: "HTs can help your happiness or they can hurt it. But it is too important a decision not to know as much as you can about it."

Couldn't agree with you more -- totally, 100% bang on correct. And that's why forums like this are so great, in which we can share our knowledge and opinions, offer comfort, suggestions, advice, seek help, or just hang and read and whatevah.

By the way, I say NONE of this to suggest you do not agree, as you wrote, "The more opinions, the more actually knowledge gets passed and false info gets weeded out and squashed."

Yeah. Right on.

MICROPROSE:

I'm sure glad you didn't take what I wrote the wrong way. I DID only mean to offer you some well-meaning advice in good faith, but I know I tend to come on strong. Like I said, glad you didn't take my call to wait the wrong way.

Someone, perhaps on this post (I'm too lazy to go back and check), wrote to you on this forum once about how he wasn't referring to you when he was being critical of certain HT candidates and so on, and this person went on to say you sound like you have done your homework and know what you're doing. I agreed when I read that. But I have to admit I was a little stunned when I read you were taking meds though you had yet to experience any hairloss. To me, that sounded like a bit too much worry. Sometimes the "cure" is actually worse than the problem, as they say.

But if taking procepia or whatever you've been taking helps relieve your anxieties, that in itself is a good thing -- that is, so long as the meds are causing you NO harm. Anxiety is MUCH more of a killer than hairloss, which, I repeat pathologically, is itself NOT pathological, and down here in lala land (L.A.), people swallow (and smoke, suck up, inject, freebase) 'meds' of a lot more potent and problematic nature than procepia...

If you HAVE done your homework, and you really ARE as committed as you seem to be, then who am I (who is ANYone) to suggest you're doing the wrong thing? Like Arfy always says, HT always involves risk, ALWAYS. But then so does bungee jumping, skydiving, or as I mentioned so brilliantly icon_biggrin.gif so do relationships. So does sex. But who on God's green earth establishes bungee jumping discussion forums so that prospective bungee jumpers can discuss the risks? Who even THINKS as much about the risks of bungee jumping as they do about HT? I'd think dashing out your brains would have at least as serious a consequence for you as an HT -- unless you're George W. Bush.

Oops! Did I say that? icon_redface.gif

Hello C.I.A.!

Point? Glad you're ready and know what you're doing and what to get done. Best of luck to you, Microprose. Look me up once you're done and have moved to Hollywood to star in the movies with your new hairline icon_wink.gif.

I suppose by the time this reaches you, your HT will be history. I sincerely hope it went well. I trust you'll keep us all informed of your progress. Take care, man.

TEXAS: YES! SCREW THE CROWN! I've never liked the Royal Family anyway!

Oh... you meant the top of the head. Nevermind.

Seriously, though, yes, I obviously agree with you as I wrote that in the first place. But I don't begrudge ANYone who WANTS to have work done on the crown. All I was trying to say is to whom it may concern, don't go around pontificating on how hairloss always involves male pattern baldness from the hairline on back because it doesn't always work that way. And DON'T say the "monk" look is "unnatural."

I should qualify my stance slightly, however. Someone once wrote ME that "you don't want a dense hedge up front." I would tend to agree with that. No offense to folks like Futzy, whose HT has to be the goddamned best I've ever seen (lucky son of a ...), but basically I think in cases like his one HT is enough. We DO thin out as we get older, even if we manage to be lucky enough to maintain the basic integrity of the hairline (ie. suffer no major receeding hairline).

Whether we receed or not, we DO thin in time. Most of us. Then again, look at photos of old Samuel Beckett, the Irish writer. Thicker, and lower, hairline than even Mr. Pitt -- and as an old geezer to boot! BASTARD!

So, nothing IS unnatural. But there ARE unnatural LOOKS. To make another BRILLIANT analogy, it's like the difference between fiction and nonfiction. If we write a biography about a guy who used to drink a gallon of whale fat every day and lived to be 200, we'd say, "wow icon_eek.gif" But if we wrote a NOVEL about a guy who did that, people would read it (well, probably they would NOT read it, but anyway...) and say, "uh, RIGHT! icon_rolleyes.gif"

Point? I guess there IS some merit in the argument that in many cases a V-shaped or U-shaped hairline, that is one CREATED by an HT procedure, DOES look the most natural. I'd agree with everyone who says it all depends and "case by case basis" sort of thing.

All I ever wanted to do, really, was EXPAND people's definition of what is REALLY natural -- what many old guys' natural hairlines DO look like (often good, better than some younger guys'), what many young guys' patterns of balding ARE like (ie. the Zidane/monk look).

Ultimately, if you're like Futzy and the majority of your head looks pretty dense (I mean with HAIR! icon_biggrin.gif), you can probably get away with going in for two or even three sessions and end up with a truly "Hollywood" hairline that looks as natural as some ARE. Even into old age.

By the way, Futzy, nice Web site, pics and so on -- you look awesome. Good luck with the 2nd HT.

Pic

Pic,

Excellent post! even mildly entertaining at some points.

Here is some "food for thought"

A- some guys that have verifiably never had a HT, actually look as though "they have"...lol

There is some really crummy looking "God given" hair out there....(sorry Lord !)

B- some guys that "have" had HT work are nearly impossible to point out.

doesnt that blow you away at times...??

NW

NW:

Good point.

Any man with a well defined "frontal tuft" region and balding around that has been handed a crappy hand, IMO. It looks like crap no matter how you try to "style" it (and believe this: your attempt to "style" it is always construed by others as a lame attempt to conceal what you are not proud of) so your only alternative is to shave it. And what if that too looks like crap?

Some MPB look good and appropriate on some faces. We shouldn't always necessarily seek to design out this "advantage".

Holy sacrilege! Hairloss an ADVANTAGE? On some men, YES. Look around and you'll see.

But it is the weird and extreme hairloss, especially at an unusually young age that can be damning and alter your life's course into a direction where you aren't all that happy with it.

That is what we are trying to correct. Just give nature a helping hand to help our looks match our personality.

I do think when your looks and personality are synergistic, then you have a formula to not only be happy, but be influential to others. And that is power. If you use that power positively for others (and not just yourself), well isn't that just a great, great thing?

The ability to inspire and influence people is a great gift and responsibilty. It can do so much good for people.

Ahh, I rambled here. But this stuff is what I think about sometimes. I guess sometimes, I want to find a greater purpose.

And I believe many others here think that way too.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.