Micro and mini graft

Daniel,

The word "micrograft" has referred to different things depending on who is posting so I will explain how it is typically used. Sometimes you will have to read the context to determine how "micrograft" is being used.

The gold standard is ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation which is a refined method of standard follicular unit hair transplantation.

A follicular unit is a bundle of hair follicles as they grow and occur naturally in the scalp between 1-4 hairs (sometimes more in very rare occasions)

A minigraft CONTAINS follicular units but is constructed typically in groups of 5-8 hairs.

Some people use "micrograft" synonymously with the word "minigraft" while yet others are referring to follicular unit grafting being dissected with a microscope (which is standard).

Therefore, the meaning of "micrograft" seems to depend on who is referring to it.

I believe the correct meaning of the word "micrograft" simply means a hair graft of any size being trimmed under a microscope. This could refer either to follicular units or minigrafts.

See more about these terms and why ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation is the new gold standard by clicking here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Arrie is correct, I would def heed his advice and research tons. "Mini" grafts are antiquated modes of hair transplantation and are *FAR* less desireable than the latest methods utilized by elite, progressive doctors.

If you have walked into a place that is throwing around terms like "mini grafting" be *very* cautious.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for your information guys..so if i am understanding correctly a mini graft is a combination of follicular unit whereas a FUT means tranplanting just one follicular unit at a time. Also, some of the physicians recommended in this foum do not clearly state what kind of procedures they are performing..

some of the physicians recommended in this foum do not clearly state what kind of procedures they are performing..

Can you be more specific?

All of the services provided are listed on their physician recommendation page which can be found by selecting a physician from the drop down list on the Hair Transplant Network website.

Bill

Hey danielkiwi I think If you are confused A standard procedure or megasession is a normal"strip session" and a F.U.E. follicular unit extraction is a small extraction of hair ie. bundle or follicles that the doctor extracts without a strip and is generally for a smaller session and less invasive.

Dr Hasson 2-08

Originally posted by morenewhair1:

below is a link to Dr. Reed's website. after reading the Q&A section, questions 10 and 12, it is not clear which he uses, FU or micro's. can anyone please help clearify?

http://www.ljhr.com/faqs.php#10

I think his explanation is in bold:

12. What is the difference between a follicular unit graft and a micrograft?

A follicular unit graft is defined elsewhere. A micrograft is one or two hairs per graft. These are used in the combined follicular unit grafting surgical technique to define a subtle, "feathered" appearance to the scalpline and to any border of transplant with skin or in any low hair density situation. The one and two hair follicular unit grafts (i.e. the large percentage of them) are therefore micrografts. Micrografts that have been harvested from the donor from a cluster rather than from splitting a cluster apart are also follicular unit grafts. However, for example, if we split apart a three hair follicular unit to get a one or two hair micrograft, that micrograft would not be a follicular graft! Are you glad you wondered? At La Jolla Hair Restoration, all of our micrografts are from follicular units and are therefore also follicular unit grafts. The rare situation where we would intentionally make micrografts from splitting apart follicular units is the person with very strong, thick diameter hair whose thick diameter will not look as natural as quickly as when the diameter is compromised by cutting the follicle away from a tight cluster. Survival is compromised in this situation as well, however.