Information on Dr. Sword and/or Dr Ziering in LA

leborv

Hi,

Can anybody give me any information on one of the above 2 doctors. I am considering a procedure of about 2000 grafts and have heard some horror stories in general...If anybody has had direct or indirect expereince, please let me know...

eric

leborv, welcome to the forums. I have heard of these Drs., but I can't offer an opinion of either of them. Perhaps some other members can. I would suggest that you broaden your research by checking out the Drs. on this site. I would also recommend that you read previous posts by other members under the heading of Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews. Terry.

• Administrators

leborv,

"I'm all stocked up" on lawsuits for this year ;-) but I'd be very careful regarding these two clinics. Let's just say that you would be VERY wise to keep shopping. Don't commit to anyone until you hear overwhelmingly good reports from their patients on this and other forums.

To research a doctor on this forum enter the doctor's last name into the "Find" feature. You will then get posts regarding this doctor going back four years.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I've been reading these forums for a while. I have never heard a positive report about Dr Sword's clinics, only complaints.

I've heard that Dr Zierring has some okay skills but maybe falls short as far as ethics (?) because when he was the medical director at a big franchise just a couple of years ago, he would sometimes do as many as 10 patients per day. That is outrageous if it is true (and the office records would be the evidence of it). You want a doctor who concentrates on one patient per day (or two AT MOST. One patient per day is better.) Would you rather have the doctor's full attention, or share it with a bunch of other guys who are also getting hair transplants that day?

My advice is to keep looking!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a procedure from Dr. Sword 9 months ago and am very pleased. I submitted a report with pics, but it is time for more pics now. I'll get to it as soon as I can. I had 2000 fue, and no pain whatsoever until later at night from the scar. I took the valium he gave me and promptly passed out. I can recommend him as a Doctor that knows what he's doing.

Steve Scott your quote" I had 2000 fue," Dr. Sword does Fue(follicular unit extraction)??? That would mean no linear scar. Not many in my opinion are willing to put the time and effort into this to do it correctly. Or did you just simply mean you had 2000 Fu's follicular units?

I think steve Scott is confused. Here is his thread with photos from his procedure. In it, he is showing off his linear scar.

steve, for a look at what FUE (follicular-unit extraction) is, check out this page.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Duly noted... one satisfied Sword customer. Seriously, this is the first time I've heard anyone say something good. Mostly I've heard he's like a smaller version of the big franchise hair mills.

I would never say it's impossible to get a satisfying result at any clinic. Even the WORST clinic can do some okay or even good results. But would you choose a clinic if you knew that your odds were like 50-50??????

"I don't think so!"

Yes, I made a mistake about the "extraction". I simply meant FU's.

I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone to go to him, I just wanted to state for the record that I had a good experience, and am getting numerous comments from friends and family about all my hair.

I will certainly add pictures as soon as my daughter gets back from summer vacation. She is my HT photographericon_smile.gif

• 8 months later...

Hello,

If you are going to have your procedure done in Los Angeles or OC area, I recommend Dr Elliott. I have previous experiences meeting with other doctors and Dr Elliott is the most experienced and has amazing, natural looking results. I had my procedure there and it was the best decision I ever made. He is a very honest and professional, yet he has a great personality. I didn't want to leave his office, he had me laughing the whole time. Great experience and results, great staff.

Originally posted by leborv:

Hi,

Can anybody give me any information on one of the above 2 doctors. I am considering a procedure of about 2000 grafts and have heard some horror stories in general...If anybody has had direct or indirect expereince, please let me know...

eric

Hi,

eric

With so many good choices out there today (ie. the Coalition Surgeons), why would you even want to consider someone who has 'horror stories' about them?

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by MattBBBB:

Hello,

If you are going to have your procedure done in Los Angeles or OC area, I recommend Dr Elliott. I have previous experiences meeting with other doctors and Dr Elliott is the most experienced and has amazing, natural looking results. I had my procedure there and it was the best decision I ever made. He is a very honest and professional, yet he has a great personality. I didn't want to leave his office, he had me laughing the whole time. Great experience and results, great staff.

Hi,

eric

MattBBBB,

Look at the date stamp on this thread...........it's from July 2005. Just wanted to point this out to any other posters here.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by steve Scott:

I had a procedure from Dr. Sword 9 months ago and am very pleased. I submitted a report with pics, but it is time for more pics now. I'll get to it as soon as I can. I had 2000 fue, and no pain whatsoever until later at night from the scar. I took the valium he gave me and promptly passed out. I can recommend him as a Doctor that knows what he's doing.

Originally posted by joezeppy:
Originally posted by steve Scott:

You got extremely lucky and must have caught him on a good day. I had several transplants with Sword medical. Some were OK but I had much better at other places after him. I went to him for what I thought would be my sixth and final. It was supposed to be touch up.He ended up nearly killing me in the chair. He cut a 7" by 2" scar in the back that was impossible to hide. I was instantly a mutant. I could not sleep on my back for 1 and a half years or my head would touch the pillow and because there was no padding there where the scar was (just bone) it would send me into massive headaches and head spins all the next day. All of the donor I had achieved in previous transplants had fallen out of the crown never to return. I now had a much bigger and balder bald spot that was pulled down the back of my head in an attempt to close the scar. The hairline converted to barbie doll and when I asked the technician if they were planting the 1 hair grafts up front she replied "no, we just plant them randomly" What!!! It was evident afterward that my well hidden transplant efforts over the years will now be quite obvious with a really messed up hairline. It took me 3 transplants and two scar revisions after that at other places just to look acceptable in society. Just think, this cost me $4,500. I had to spend an additional $10,000 to almost fix it. I went to doctors for 3 years after trying to address my post concusion type syndrome of not being able to think or concentrate and having a feeling that my skull was so tight that it was crushing my brain. The shape of my face structure changed as well due to him pulling so much skin back to close wide scars. The anethesia was done improperly and as amature as possible as I think they had a new crew. It hurt like no other office. I highly recommend anyone over Sword. Ziering Medical or Dr. Rassman would be good choices. Even if you are intentionally out to get scalped, I would suggest getting it from wild Indians because you will at least end up looking consistent and uniform.