Consultation w/Dr. Vogel

I had a consultation with Dr. Vogel last Tuesday at his office in Owings Mills, MD. I have to say, this was the most comprehensive consultation I've had. I'm currently looking into my 4th transplant -- the first three have yielded very unsatisfactory results, so I am very, very cautious about what is probably my last transplant.

I met with Mary for an initial consultation, then with Dr. Vogel himself. They showed me photos of the patients pre and post op not just from the front, but the back and top! They're the only ones to show me this! All I've seen before are photos of the hairline. Nobody EVER shows post op, top of the scalp. They hide this. Dr. Vogel did not.

The time in his office was almost 2 hours. For the record, he had a warm smile when he saw on my application that I was referred to him by the "Famous Hair Transplant Network" (His words, direct quote).

He went over the procedure, which I've heard before. He and Mary were pretty dismayed over the scattering of previous transplants -- that they were placed randomly throughout the scalp with no real game plan. Dr. Vogel showed me the two tracks of scars from previous surgeries, and how they would complicate his work, he could not pull these scars together to make one scar, and felt that good donor hairs would go to waste if he tried.

What did he recommend? 1500 grafts to soften the hairline, and work backwards. The donor hair would come from below the current scars, meaning softer, less course hair, which concerns me regarding the appearance of density and coverage. It makes me wonder how worth it this will be. If these hairs aren't as thick or as coarse and are fine, then what's the point?

He put me back on Propecia, which I've been off for a month or so. His price is a little costly, and driving the Beltway was a nightmare.

It was probably the best experience I've had in a hair transplant surgeon's office. I can say one thing, I think Dr. Vogel has been the most honest with me, and I wonder what my hair would look like if he had been the one to do my previous work.

I just have to make the decision if the 1500 graft is worth the effort.

PANA0376.JPG.52bc5d658faf1501a0284f7d97c0bb4f.JPG

I had a consultation with Dr. Vogel last Tuesday at his office in Owings Mills, MD. I have to say, this was the most comprehensive consultation I've had. I'm currently looking into my 4th transplant -- the first three have yielded very unsatisfactory results, so I am very, very cautious about what is probably my last transplant.

I met with Mary for an initial consultation, then with Dr. Vogel himself. They showed me photos of the patients pre and post op not just from the front, but the back and top! They're the only ones to show me this! All I've seen before are photos of the hairline. Nobody EVER shows post op, top of the scalp. They hide this. Dr. Vogel did not.

The time in his office was almost 2 hours. For the record, he had a warm smile when he saw on my application that I was referred to him by the "Famous Hair Transplant Network" (His words, direct quote).

He went over the procedure, which I've heard before. He and Mary were pretty dismayed over the scattering of previous transplants -- that they were placed randomly throughout the scalp with no real game plan. Dr. Vogel showed me the two tracks of scars from previous surgeries, and how they would complicate his work, he could not pull these scars together to make one scar, and felt that good donor hairs would go to waste if he tried.

What did he recommend? 1500 grafts to soften the hairline, and work backwards. The donor hair would come from below the current scars, meaning softer, less course hair, which concerns me regarding the appearance of density and coverage. It makes me wonder how worth it this will be. If these hairs aren't as thick or as coarse and are fine, then what's the point?

He put me back on Propecia, which I've been off for a month or so. His price is a little costly, and driving the Beltway was a nightmare.

It was probably the best experience I've had in a hair transplant surgeon's office. I can say one thing, I think Dr. Vogel has been the most honest with me, and I wonder what my hair would look like if he had been the one to do my previous work.

I just have to make the decision if the 1500 graft is worth the effort.

You sort of look like me, from the top. I'm going under with Dr. Cooley on Thursday for 2,500. FWIW, he trained under Dr. Vogel according to the video of the interview with him on this site.

But, I think 1500 would be worth the trouble and it might blend in with the existing tp you already have.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I'm glad to hear that through the forum you are going to end up going with a 1st rate clinic.

As for "will it be worth it?", that is an extremely important question, and understanding what your end result will look like, and where you will stand with regard to future procedures is crucial.

Do you have any hairline shots? 1500 grafts can definitely do a lot of good to improve a hairline, especially if it is re-wiring the result of shoddy, unfocused work from the past. I would not expect a lot of density, however in knowing hands, 1500 can definitely be stategically used to make an appreciable impact. I'm guessing the 1500 would be focused strictly on the hairline and frontal 1/3rd? Also, is the 1500 the max that he would feel comfortable getting, given your complex situation regarding past, poor work?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

1500 was his conservative estimate. He said if he could get more, he'd use them. He said that they don't waste grafts. Everything the get they put to use. Anything over his estimate is charged at 50% his graft price, which is $5.50.

I've attached a hairline shot.

PANA0378.JPG.2b66808aaa68f5653fd3452a22895a8c.JPG

Sounds good; and I'm sure even if you ended up w/ the 1500 estimate, it would do you a lot of good in that region.

And being in capable hands can do wonders with regard to the entire recovery process, as well.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Seeker:

Check out some of the pics on this site under "Repair Work". You might even find some of Dr. Vogel himself.

To me, repair work looks much fuller with fewer grafts than the same amt. on a virgin scalp. The reason is obvious, but my point is I was amazed at what 1,000, 1,500 or so grafts did for a head with a previous ht.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

TS, are you plannnig on doing just the front or the vertex and crown too. If it's the latter you're gonna need way more than 1500....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

"TS, are you plannnig on doing just the front or the vertex and crown too. If it's the latter you're gonna need way more than 1500...."

No kidding. The crown is a lost cause, and unfortunately, Rogaine has not worked in the past and I've seen minimal results of Propecia.

Dr. Vogel seems to be first rate choice judging from the pics. I've seen on here of him and doing repairs. There is alot of info. on him on this very website. After I saw the pics on this site of his work I did a little further reading on him and was really impressed with what I read, and then after your description of an indepth consult he sounds even more impressive.

Also, looking at your pics. and his estimate of 1500 grafts, all at the hairline, it can make a HUGE difference.

Originally posted by Truth Seeker:

Have fun on the Beltway! icon_wink.gif

I'm planning for June to get the work done. His est. is $8500. Need a few more bucks to get the work done.

You know, geography and price aren't supposed to be one of the top deciding factors; but we do live in a capitalistic society in which competition has definitely raise all our standard of living.

Having said that, I'm traveling to North Carolina to get 2500 grafts for $9k. Now granted, that includes a 10% discount for certfied funds payment in advance. That price includes a two night stay at the luxurious Best Western of Charlotte..... So that is a little steep, imo.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

TS,

I had two sessions with Dr. Vogel of about 1600 grafts each and repair old style plug work.

Like you I was impressed with his honesty and attention to detail. I just had my 2nd with him in January so I will no know how it will turn out but I am pleased with my first session from last year and the repair work made a big difference.

You can read my story here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/256...331036482#5331036482

And Round #2 here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/256...191001863#7191001863

I am looking forward to Summer when things start to grow out. Good luck!

NoBuzz

You know, geography and price aren't supposed to be one of the top deciding factors; but we do live in a capitalistic society in which competition has definitely raise all our standard of living.

Lighten up! For your information, I drive over 100 miles for my consultation, so geography isn't an issue. The Beltway is horrendous, and has a reputation for being so!

"From your pics i really don't think 1500 is a good idea. I really think you should consult with some other well known doctors."

Care to elaborate?

Originally posted by Truth Seeker:

Lighten up! For your information, I drive over 100 miles for my consultation, so geography isn't an issue. The Beltway is horrendous, and has a reputation for being so!

QUOTE]

I don't know what you're talking about, but you asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. My reference to geography was a preface to my comment about cost; as those two issues are always brought up as "not to be the deciding factor", which I agree.

So, if you prefer I should say...."you know, price shouldn't be one of the deciding factors...."

I simply think you could get 1500 grafts for a better price than $8,500 from an equally world-class surgeon. IMO, probably $2k less.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

So far, though, Dr. Vogel has been most honest. I could fly to Ottawa to see Dr. Rahal and, up to a few months ago, would have gotten a nice exchange CDN vs. US. I've been to Dr. Bernstein whose recommendation was 600 FUs, and even at 1500 FUs, would be cheaper than Dr. Vogel. What is the difference, when Bernstein is cheaper and closer? Dr. Vogel is cautious about wasting donor hairs based on scars from PREVIOUS surgeries. He could get more than 1500 FUs if he wanted, but he has issues wasting donor supply for the sake of the scar. To me that speaks volumes.

• 6 months later...

Truthseeker:

The #1 consideration for HT should be how confortable you are with doctor and his or her approach. You may use price as a deal breaker if you are equally confortable with 2 doctors but don't know which one to choose.

You even say it yourself about dr. Vogel: 'Probably the best experience I've had in a hair transplant surgeon's office' Therefore,IMO you should not go look further and fully trust his recommendation.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Truthseeker said Dr. Vogel's estimate was conservative and if he could get more grafts, he would.

After looking at some of Dr. Vogel's work I would say you are in great hands. Maybe he's pricey, but I just saw one of his repair jobs and you can't put a price on that. It was amazing!

All the best, Truthseeker.

And stop being such a dick, vincehair! icon_razz.gif

Kman