After You've Had a HT, Other Peoples Pictures "Make More Sense"

I am a NW 5/6 that had a HT 7 monhts ago (coalition doctor). In general I'm happy, but my feeling is that there are density issues (not enough hair in some places). In some ways I look much better than before, in other ways, not much differnt at all. The ultra refined HT is of such fine quality, there is no plugginess or root effect, so it does not scream HT, except for the fact that my crown is empty. Going with ultra refined grafts seems to sacrifice density for naturalness. I look like a guy who is going bald but got lucky and was able to retain a collection of hair in the front. I am now fully aware what they mean by "illusion of density". When combed up to expose the scalp, it looks like I am almost bald, maybe 30% original density, but with hair from behind growing forward and layering on top of the hairline hair, it looks like I have more than I do. I am fortunate that I have high rim/side hair that contributes to the result, otherwise there would be _serious_ density problems. Overall I would have to rate my HT as "very clever". The hairline is not as low as I would like, but I think if it was lower or wider, the lack of hair behind and general lack of density would be hard to explain. IOW, I do not think the HT subtracted any years from my appearance, but from most angles I look better and no one would describe me as "the bald guy".

I then was browsing through Bobman's (home run) results and it occured to me that some of the problems I see in my own result are present to a lesser degree in the Bobman's result. After his #1 procedure, I can see that he only has a thin bridge between his side hair and new top hair, but that from most angles the look "works". Of course he went back for #2 and #3 to greatly improve the result. He is lucky in that his hair is coarsr (or he had a greater yield). His front hair collection is more impressive. OTH, his crown and sides were farter receded. (Bobman, Im not singling you out -- you have a great result -- im only saying that I understand what im seeing much better now)

My point is that unless you have had a HT, the pitures will be more impressive in some ways than the actual result. Only when you have had a HT will you really understand what you are seeing.

On a related topic, there is a guy at work who has a HT (over a period of 9 months went from a good NW6 bald to a reconstructed hairline. While I originally thougt his result was impressive, now when I look at him, I realize that his result is also only "very clever" and that my HT result is much better on the virtue that my hair is finer and I had a good bit more native side hair. I would rate his HT as very skillful, but the overall lack of density combined with his coarse hair reveals it as a HT to those in the know. I am happy for him in some ways because I think he loooks much better, but OTH, he cant have much more donor left and theres really not much more he can do to improve his result. If he blasts the front with a second pass and neglects his "black hole" crown, the contrast between front and rear would be more pronounced and wouldnt hlep his case any. If he attempts to address the crown it would probably only achieve the ability to reduce the shine and put the thinnest of see thru coverage up there.

I guess what I am saying is that until you have had a HT yourself, you cant accurately evaluate the elements of "density", resource allocation, or overall cleverness of the surgeon.

Its quite apparent that with some poor decisions, a doctor could completely screw over a patient, (and this includes building up an area with too many grafts.) In that sense, while my HT is not perfect, I am very thankful that I can walk out in public without anyone staring or suspecting anything.

Those NW 2 and 3s who we see getting their hairlines blasted with 70g/cm2 really doesnt take much skill at all.

I am a NW 5/6 that had a HT 7 monhts ago (coalition doctor). In general I'm happy, but my feeling is that there are density issues (not enough hair in some places). In some ways I look much better than before, in other ways, not much differnt at all. The ultra refined HT is of such fine quality, there is no plugginess or root effect, so it does not scream HT, except for the fact that my crown is empty. Going with ultra refined grafts seems to sacrifice density for naturalness. I look like a guy who is going bald but got lucky and was able to retain a collection of hair in the front. I am now fully aware what they mean by "illusion of density". When combed up to expose the scalp, it looks like I am almost bald, maybe 30% original density, but with hair from behind growing forward and layering on top of the hairline hair, it looks like I have more than I do. I am fortunate that I have high rim/side hair that contributes to the result, otherwise there would be _serious_ density problems. Overall I would have to rate my HT as "very clever". The hairline is not as low as I would like, but I think if it was lower or wider, the lack of hair behind and general lack of density would be hard to explain. IOW, I do not think the HT subtracted any years from my appearance, but from most angles I look better and no one would describe me as "the bald guy".

I then was browsing through Bobman's (home run) results and it occured to me that some of the problems I see in my own result are present to a lesser degree in the Bobman's result. After his #1 procedure, I can see that he only has a thin bridge between his side hair and new top hair, but that from most angles the look "works". Of course he went back for #2 and #3 to greatly improve the result. He is lucky in that his hair is coarsr (or he had a greater yield). His front hair collection is more impressive. OTH, his crown and sides were farter receded. (Bobman, Im not singling you out -- you have a great result -- im only saying that I understand what im seeing much better now)

My point is that unless you have had a HT, the pitures will be more impressive in some ways than the actual result. Only when you have had a HT will you really understand what you are seeing.

On a related topic, there is a guy at work who has a HT (over a period of 9 months went from a good NW6 bald to a reconstructed hairline. While I originally thougt his result was impressive, now when I look at him, I realize that his result is also only "very clever" and that my HT result is much better on the virtue that my hair is finer and I had a good bit more native side hair. I would rate his HT as very skillful, but the overall lack of density combined with his coarse hair reveals it as a HT to those in the know. I am happy for him in some ways because I think he loooks much better, but OTH, he cant have much more donor left and theres really not much more he can do to improve his result. If he blasts the front with a second pass and neglects his "black hole" crown, the contrast between front and rear would be more pronounced and wouldnt hlep his case any. If he attempts to address the crown it would probably only achieve the ability to reduce the shine and put the thinnest of see thru coverage up there.

I guess what I am saying is that until you have had a HT yourself, you cant accurately evaluate the elements of "density", resource allocation, or overall cleverness of the surgeon.

Its quite apparent that with some poor decisions, a doctor could completely screw over a patient, (and this includes building up an area with too many grafts.) In that sense, while my HT is not perfect, I am very thankful that I can walk out in public without anyone staring or suspecting anything.

Those NW 2 and 3s who we see getting their hairlines blasted with 70g/cm2 really doesnt take much skill at all.

everything you have said i agree with. it just goes to show that all hairtransplant docs or in the buisness for one reason and one reason only and that is money. they dont care what the patients results are. they dont care if they completely ruin a persons life as long as they get their money..and i can say this because ive has two procedures done. i to know that its all a lie.

TheEmperor,

As you rightfully pointed out, hair transplantation is about the art of illusion. Since most patients can't have the original density (or even half that in some cases) of their hair restored, physicians must strategically place hair in balding areas that's going to put off the illusion of density.

Those with less than 50% hair density will especially look thinner in brighter lights (especially florescents) and natural sunlight (the angle of the sun will also make a difference). Those above 50% hair density will have an easier time pulling off a thicker appearance and look good in most lights.

In many cases, especially in patients with higher degrees of balding, one hair transplant won't be enough, plain and simple. Unfortunately, some surgeons dupe patients into believing this and don't work with the patient on a long term game plan. But long term hair restoration goals are more important than discussion of a single surgery. The risks of future hair loss are great for some and not so for others.

For those who believe they are going to achieve a "full head of hair", think again. Hair transplant surgery is about improving our appearance - but there is only so much donor hair to work with, so it must be used strategically and wisely.

Best wishes,

Bill

But, it's worth a lot of money to most of us just to NOT be noticed for being bald. Personally, I don't care what some other bald guy who's had a transplant thinks; I want to not think about my hair and want others not to think about my hair. And that's worth a lot.

If some dude who's had one recognizes mine, then I won't think twice about that. But, I see what you're saying and understand it. Mine hasn't fully matured (and I think yours probably hasn't either...), so I'll have to withhold judgement as to whether I agree with your final conclusions.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by Dewayne:

But, it's worth a lot of money to most of us just to NOT be noticed for being bald. Personally, I don't care what some other bald guy who's had a transplant thinks; I want to not think about my hair and want others not to think about my hair. And that's worth a lot.

If some dude who's had one recognizes mine, then I won't think twice about that. But, I see what you're saying and understand it. Mine hasn't fully matured (and I think yours probably hasn't either...), so I'll have to withhold judgement as to whether I agree with your final conclusions.

They say there will be some thickening through the next few months, so even if my result improves it will still probably be in the same ballpark of what I have now. Anything extra will be appreciated.

I know the doctor and his consultant made some very specific claims about how good my subjective result would be in comparison to other patients. Perhaps the benefits were oversold or perhaps I just need another 3-4K grafts to achieve what I was hoping for.

My hair does not look "good" by any stretch of the imagination. (if carefully styled, it does not look "bad") The HT hasnt reduced any years because the temples are receded and the hairline is high. (It frames my face a bit better than the "combforward" of bridge hair I had before.) However, I am not "bald" anymore.

It really hasnt improved my self confidence much. I detect slightly improved reaction to my look from the opposite sex (strangers). However, the majority of people that I work with know it was done and I have to contend with that- even though surprisingly only two people have said anything, one positive and one negative.

In some ways having no hair was more liberating than having "bad hair". Now Ive got something extra to do in the morning with mousse and a hair dryer. When you lose the majority of your hair and cut it short, it is less worrysome than having thin wispy hair that need to be styled correctly to not look bad. I guess I've reversed my hairloss situation about 3-5 years (although five years ago my crown wasnt bald.)

I believe that I will require another procedure to fil in the crown , connect better on the one side and lower hairline . I realize that with enough time and money I can get to a good place but Im not there yet. Quite frankly, the scar is what is causing me alot of anxiety. I feel like Ive made a trade off - gained some hair on top, but cant use clippers on the side or back ever again.

I'm really on the fence if this was a good idea. I think I realize that if I have another one or two procedures, I will eventually get _close_ to where I want to be, maybe then I will be happy. With the scar and future loss I'll need to be careful in coming years. I really dont want to go through another surgery or spend more money on this but im only half way across the river. May just decide to stop where I am now with a bald crown. Just dont know.

this is an excellent post for any prospective nw5/6 to read.

do not look at work done on 2 and 3,s and expect the same result,also only a few lucky 5/6,s will be able to achieve that full head of hair they crave due to donor/hair characteristics.most will only manage to swap the the bald tag for a balding/thinning or receeding one.

i myself am happy to be seen as a balding man compared to what i was which was slick bald.

as for the age thing i do think it helps,a stranger had me at 34 the other day(im 38)before the ht i looked late 40,s.having said that he was 35 and a norwood 5,i then let him into my little secret... he was very shocked but v impressed. icon_wink.gif

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

This is interesting because I totally agree with you on this..

To conclude, some docs give a shit about there patients and some just don't.

Guest wanthairs

emporer

at 7 months out i felt the same way you do....now 15 months on, i feel totally different. At 25 people aged me at 40 and now at 37 i am aged at my mid 30's....

i am going to need a total of 3 strip procedures to get where i want to be......

TheEmperor

Excellent post, probably as I've been thinking many of the same thoughts and I debated having the surgery done for a very long time.

According to the surgeon who did mine I was growing in very fast and dense at the 5 month mark with much more to come in a year or more but I feel pretty confident that I'll look about the same as I do now at the 6 month mark-just more of it and the look you are talking about I see in mine as well.

Even though I knew I would need a 2nd procedure for the crown and had very realistic expectations I'm not sure if I look better or worse as it stands today. Getting an honest opinion is tough.

One interesting thing is my hair in the donor area is quite curly and the top and sides aren't so the transplanted area is coming in wavy. As I have a lot of hair on the sides this, to me, looks goofy. It's like I had a bad perm on top. I'm not doing any fancy crap with the styling, just brushing it back and letting it grow.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few months and then another 6-8 months after the crown is done. Maybe I'll be pleased though I do not relish the 2nd HT at all but now have absolutely no choice given how odd the top looks with a whack of hair the front 2/3rds then virtually no hair on the crown area and it's a fairly big area.

However, I did fully expect to need 2 HT's to get the results I'd be okay with and it sounds like you knew going in as well that you'd need more than one so I suppose we should both keep the faith.

Your post is worth reading for any thinking about getting surgery. I think many want what it is impossible to get.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Agio,

I looked closely at your pics and your loss and hair color is similar to mine. Also I had about the same # of grafts as you, about 800 more hairs total. I think my hair may be a finer quality than yours, but it is straight.

My doctor dipped down in the front a bit more (with the temples receded a bit more with no closure.) Also I believe he angled the hairs a bit farther forward. This has the effect of layering the hairs from behind to add density to the front. I use a thickening mouse, a hair dryer, and a round brush to style the hair forward/across and add some body. Surprisingly, if I do not style my hair, just comb it across it is fairly cohesive and well managed but with less body. Im not having any problems with the quality of the hair and because of its color, the see-thru nature is not devastating.

It was about the 5.5month mark where everything "came together" for me. Somewhere around 5.5months there was enough hair to do something with. Looks like your 5mo pics. After that, it seems that lengthening of hair has added to the layering and perceived density. You probably have that to look forward to. I think you have higher hairline density than me.

One trick which I would urge you to try is to get a "robocut". Its one of those vaccum cleaner hair cutting devices. You can accurately control the length of hair. MY impression is that your top hair suffers from the contrast of how much side hair you have.

Good luck! I think it will come together for you in the next month or so, but youve got to take responsibility for the styling to make it look its best.

Originally posted by Agio:

TheEmperor

Excellent post, probably as I've been thinking many of the same thoughts and I debated having the surgery done for a very long time.

According to the surgeon who did mine I was growing in very fast and dense at the 5 month mark with much more to come in a year or more but I feel pretty confident that I'll look about the same as I do now at the 6 month mark-just more of it and the look you are talking about I see in mine as well.

Even though I knew I would need a 2nd procedure for the crown and had very realistic expectations I'm not sure if I look better or worse as it stands today. Getting an honest opinion is tough.

One interesting thing is my hair in the donor area is quite curly and the top and sides aren't so the transplanted area is coming in wavy. As I have a lot of hair on the sides this, to me, looks goofy. It's like I had a bad perm on top. I'm not doing any fancy crap with the styling, just brushing it back and letting it grow.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few months and then another 6-8 months after the crown is done. Maybe I'll be pleased though I do not relish the 2nd HT at all but now have absolutely no choice given how odd the top looks with a whack of hair the front 2/3rds then virtually no hair on the crown area and it's a fairly big area.

However, I did fully expect to need 2 HT's to get the results I'd be okay with and it sounds like you knew going in as well that you'd need more than one so I suppose we should both keep the faith.

Your post is worth reading for any thinking about getting surgery. I think many want what it is impossible to get.

I hear what you're saying, and it should always be told by the clinic that there's no going back to being 18 or 20 again. My first clinic built my hopes up for the 300 'mini's' I had and honestly there was never much difference.

But, check out this guy's weblog after just 3,000 grafts over a diffused pattern. He actually emailed me some even better pics but I think his transformation is / was definitely worth the $10k or so spent and time, etc. Granted, he could stand another 3k grafts if he wants it thicker, but my point is now he looks like an ordinary 40 year old with some thinning, instead of an obvious bald guy who's constantly thinking and fretting over his hair loss. To me, that's worth a lot.

And these tricho scars are just undetectable in most cases. But, I'm with you on the shaving the head. If I had the body, the do-over, etc. I might consider the shaved look. I think it's pretty cool on some.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=881&WebID=364

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

You have to assume that a Norwood 5/6 has lost 70% of the hair or approx 70,000 hairs so they cannot expect 3-4000 hairs to change their heads that much. A norwood 2-3 should be able to have a dramatic changes especially if the back and crown are solid and only the front and mid sections need the work. 3-4,000 hairs on a Noroowd 2-3 would make a dramatic change.

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

Agio,

I looked closely at your pics and your loss and hair color is similar to mine. Also I had about the same # of grafts as you, about 800 more hairs total. I think my hair may be a finer quality than yours, but it is straight.

My doctor dipped down in the front a bit more (with the temples receded a bit more with no closure.) Also I believe he angled the hairs a bit farther forward. This has the effect of layering the hairs from behind to add density to the front. I use a thickening mouse, a hair dryer, and a round brush to style the hair forward/across and add some body. Surprisingly, if I do not style my hair, just comb it across it is fairly cohesive and well managed but with less body. Im not having any problems with the quality of the hair and because of its color, the see-thru nature is not devastating.

It was about the 5.5month mark where everything "came together" for me. Somewhere around 5.5months there was enough hair to do something with. Looks like your 5mo pics. After that, it seems that lengthening of hair has added to the layering and perceived density. You probably have that to look forward to. I think you have higher hairline density than me.

One trick which I would urge you to try is to get a "robocut". Its one of those vaccum cleaner hair cutting devices. You can accurately control the length of hair. MY impression is that your top hair suffers from the contrast of how much side hair you have.

Good luck! I think it will come together for you in the next month or so, but youve got to take responsibility for the styling to make it look its best.

TheEmperor

Don't get me wrong, I have zero regrets-it's vanity surgery afterall and now past the 6 month mark it's definitely growing in like a weed. I simply agreed that until you've had it done you don't appreciate what it's all about.

As for the surgery itself, it sounds as if we went a different way with mine, opting to work from front to back with as much density as possible up front without the need for me to do any tricks given that I was going to need two anyhow to achieve the results I wanted and I have a good donor area. I was quite specific about that. If I had to walk sideways in just the right light or spend 3 hrs making it 'look right' I wasn't interested in getting it done. Both I and the surgeon are pragmatic-that's a big deal.

You are correct, the density between the sides and top combined with the waviness makes it stand out to me. My hairdresser does good work though and cuts and blends it nicely. I have lots of body, maybe we should swap some-you can have some wave and I'll take some straight.

Probably the dramatic difference now between the front 2/3rds and the crown is simply irritating me but that's solvable and not a bad 'problem' to be irritated with. In the end, it's not that big of a deal.

My Hair Loss Weblog

After researching on this forum, and looking at tons of blogs and pics, I am under the impression that most people see the real results around 10-12 months. I have seen many amazing results, and very few looked decent at all at the seven month mark.

Does anyone out there agree with me?

Ceasar,

I agree with you. Some patients will have amazing looking results at only 7 months. The good news is, hair still continues to mature and thicken up to a year, adding to the fullness and illusion of density.

But in most hair transplant patients, especially those with higher levels of baldness only are able to create an illusion of hair density that won't appear as thick in some lights.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Originally posted by Ceasar08:

After researching on this forum, and looking at tons of blogs and pics, I am under the impression that most people see the real results around 10-12 months. I have seen many amazing results, and very few looked decent at all at the seven month mark.

Does anyone out there agree with me?

At 6 momths I look great according to various opinions-mainly the Doc as he was surprised at the growth at 5 mos and a few people from this site. You can't trust people close to you, they can't help but be biased.

The issue of the post wasn't about timeline, simply that images of HT patients 'make more sense' after you've had the procedure. You get an idea how and what is actually achievable etc. This is of course pertaining to those with substantial hair loss.

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 years later...

Its hard to tell who posted what but like the man said, when you shave your head bald, you dont really think about your hair at all. Out of sight out of mind, although I don't particularly like rocking the bald look, or being singled out as the bald guy, But with my remaining diffuse stubble, shaving down keeps me from having to deal with that dreaded bozo look and or just seeing the sides grow out and not the top, My dilemma is, Im a 5a with diffuse thinning, that brings my hairline up to about a nw 3 pattern. Ive been seriously researching and am planning on getting an ht, but when i hear all these density issues, and see all these pictures of grown out see through hair, I really start to think that this is not for me, I started buzzing my hair down to a 3 or 2 guard at 19 and seemingly got away with looking like a nw 3 with the diffuse thinning going up to a 2 or 1 pattern, but remembering high school, with all the combing and fussing, and parting, and obsessing, and the frizziness that takes place when trying to style the front part of your hair when it is has no density, it was horrible, I seemingly went from feeling like i was going bald at 17 buzzed my head down, and didnt feel like hair loss was an issue for about another 8 or nine years. My thin hairs up front just receded to a solid nw 3 and i was fine with it. But now my density up top is going, having a hard time deciding which way to go about it,

I just dont want to have a scar on my head, and add to my thinning areas, only to shock loss the native hair, and thin out and be stuck, Does anyone with a strip scar rock the 3 guard buzz cut all over. because ive tended to notice the coarseness of my side hair makes me not want to grow it out past a buzzed look.

So to be clear, what you guys are saying, is that a transplanted area will never be satisfactorily thick, I notice, that if you look real close at most hair transplant pics, you can see through them, Is this the case after multiple procedures. and Does anybody know if having your whole head buzzed to a 3 guard can camouflage the sparseness of transplanted areas.

also agio, when you say that the images of people who have had hair transplants make more sense, Ive noticed this phonomenon of all the before and after pictures, the people always have their hair parted to the side, or combed straight back, This sets off red flags too, as most of us, at least under the age of 60, usually have it in our head, that getting our hair back, will bring us more styling options, Not less, and im sure not too many of us when imagining what we would look like with our hair back, imagined ourselves looking like a plastic policeman. If we did, alot of us would have probably just decided to just keep buzzing your heads down and resort to other means of looking more attractive, Like a new sportscar!

also agio, when you say that the images of people who have had hair transplants make more sense, Ive noticed this phonomenon of all the before and after pictures, the people always have their hair parted to the side, or combed straight back, This sets off red flags too, as most of us, at least under the age of 60, usually have it in our head, that getting our hair back, will bring us more styling options, Not less, and im sure not too many of us when imagining what we would look like with our hair back, imagined ourselves looking like a plastic policeman. If we did, alot of us would have probably just decided to just keep buzzing your heads down and resort to other means of looking more attractive, Like a new sportscar!

It's been a long time since I visited the site. So far skep I've not had to do anything untoward so I am pleased. As I said before, that 'new look' style and me was never going to fly. It always looks odd when people try and compensate-plastic policeman is a good one :)

Interestingly I'm at the 3yr mark , very pleased but have yet to get the crown down given a wicked flu last year when it was scheduled and so far been too busy this year.

Given the last procedure I do not want it done during the summer so I'm being selective I guess- for some people the redness goes away fast but for me it didn't , took about 2-2 1/2 mos and given we're doing the crown this time I do not want to screw it up by running around with a hat for 3 mos.

My Hair Loss Weblog

I see what you're saying, Emperor, but I hope (and think) your hair will end up thickening in the coming months. People have said it earlier, and 7 months seems a little early to write it off. I know that you've said you're alright with how it looks and are just explaining that it's really all about the illusion, but I hope some extra density makes you happier with your HT.