Opinion

Looking for some opinions on my hair loss??¦ here's a recent pic of my head. Would 1500 grafts seem appropriate? I'm 35 this year and it's been like this for a while now. Started Propecia a couple months ago, and have met and been suggested receiving 1200-1500 grafts by a couple local doc's.

Ideally I'm looking for increased fullness and slightly filling in the receding hair line before it really started thinning out.

Generally speaking, do you think I'll need another HT in the future (in the frontal/top area) to get a good fullness? Anything else I should be concerned with?

356165871.jpg

Looking for some opinions on my hair loss??¦ here's a recent pic of my head. Would 1500 grafts seem appropriate? I'm 35 this year and it's been like this for a while now. Started Propecia a couple months ago, and have met and been suggested receiving 1200-1500 grafts by a couple local doc's.

Ideally I'm looking for increased fullness and slightly filling in the receding hair line before it really started thinning out.

Generally speaking, do you think I'll need another HT in the future (in the frontal/top area) to get a good fullness? Anything else I should be concerned with?

356165871.jpg

Don't go to a local doc unless recommended by this site. There will be a lot more heartache down the road if you go to a local doc.

Do some research and ask a ton of questions on this site. People are here to help you.

Your level of loss will require a lot more than 1500 grafts in my opinion. Again, begin doing your research and if you decide to get a procedure you will go into it with the proper knowledge.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I agree, I wouldn't do anything less than 2500 grafts. If you want noticeable increase in thickness, you'll want to transplant the entire area in the front. When you look at the area through magnification, it will be easy to find places to stick the grafts. By using the custom cut blades it becomes very easy to go inbetween the existing hair to place grafts without injuring any of it. If anyone is trying to talk you into 1000-1500 grafts, I would run the other direction. I can tell by the photo and by the color of your hair in the front that it is already miniaturizing.

I had 1500 grafts my first time around and I had more hair than you "in the front not the back" and I didnt see any noticable results. In fact because I went to a "local Doc" I have less hair today than I did before the procedure. Listen to what people are saying here. Some of us had to learn the hard way that there are HUGE diferences in HT doctors and distance should not be a factor when considering a HT. Good luck

Geomarq

May I ask how old you are?

You will be disappointed with 1200-1500 grafts. If you want to cover the area well, at least 2500 or more.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I'm 35 In July.

Here's another photo that may help.

If everyone still thinks 2500 grafts are needed, I'd have to have a future session due to the cost and time from work. Does this seem like a resaonable plan?

temp_ii.jpg.964679c2657f92d38c21dad1a2e81bc4.jpg

First of all, forget about HT for now. Wait at least a year on Propecia. You may be surprised of the result. I did not see a difference at the 1 year mark, but 2 months later, i can definitely see a difference at the crown, and maybe on the temples as well. However, i had an HT on the temples 3 months ago, so now i will never know whether Propecia really works on my temples as well.

You may want to wait 1 year anyway in order to save for a larger HT session, as opposed to have one small HT now and then plan for a second future HT session. I would run away from your local doctor, as 1500 grafts is clearly not sufficient. Stay with a doctor from the Coalition and you will not regret your decision.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

The exception is, you just started propecia (I would strongly consider Rog Foam, too...yes in the front as well as crown)it take ultimately 2years to achieve what you are going to achieve, in regard to retention and thickening of miniaturized hair. Which, if you could keep and enhance all the hair that's there, it may surprise you cosmetically and meet your goals. You may have 40fus/cm2 in your core, of many 3hair groupings, but it looks approx like 10-15 due to the miniaturization

of the hair, if you could keep those hairs, increase diameter and make them look like a true 40FU/cm2 the core may be sufficient 40FUs is good, many times. And, you are then left with simply, resolving the hairline zone, which could be serving with approx 1500FUs,... the hairline area is approx 40cm2, transplant 40fus/cm2...1600gr. Hairline work based on age, approx 1500-1800 possibly up to 2000gr, be nervous to do much more, at this time.

Now, if you had already been on Propecia & Rog for more then 2-3 years and we knew things were not going to get any better, I would clearly say whole front third. Best to cut hair in core, not require, but possibly optimal, in order to best work down between fine miniaturized hairs that are very close. Transplant based on available space approx 2500gr. Dr Shapiro would probably consent to either approaches. There can be two sides to the approach, there's always alot to consider and evalute.

1500-2500plus...FUs Front third

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna