Anybody have HT's from Dr.David Kelsey formerly of Chambers Hair Institute?

forlife

• 3 years later...

I see that Dr. David P. Kelsey now is running the "Kelsey Clinic" in New Buffalo, MI. The URL is (link removed)

Anyone have any experience with Dr. Kelsey since this initial posts back in 2004?

<span class="ev_code_red">Important Moderator Note:</span>

Blatant Promotions and Solicitations are not allowed here. See our terms of service for more information.

Failure to comply to these rules will result in suspension of posting privileges. Thank you.

Bill - Moderator

GetFuzzy-

It's obvious you are on HTN promoting this doc...............please stop and move on. We who frequent the site often take extra care making sure this is an unbiased, patient-oriented forum.

Move on, please! I reported this post, too.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I can think of another word to put next to "Get" (can any of YOU think of a good word?) ....... Of course, I have properly restrained myself at this point.

icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Sorry...I'm not trying to promote Dr. Kelsey...I don't even know who he is and have no affiliation with him.

I'm thinking about getting my very first transplant and am trying to investigate doctors as well as learn as much as I can about the hair transplant process. I'm very nervous about "taking the plunge" and am trying my best to do research and find out the "goods/bads" about particular doctors.

Based on other posts by people asking for input on their experiences about a particular doctor, I don't understand why my similar question about people's experiences about a particular doctor is being questioned. Dr. Kelsey ran an ad in my local newspaper and I searched this site to see if anyone had posted anything good or bad about him...and found the initial thread from a few years ago...but nothing more. Which is why I asked if anyone had any "new" experiences with him since he has apparently moved his practice (is that a "red flag" I should be concerned with?) since the posting from a few years ago.

If asking for input/past experiences about a particular doctor isn't appropriate for this forum, can anyone recommend other hair transplant forums/web sites that can give objective/neutral opions about hair transplant doctors?

This whole process, for me, is very overwhelming and scarey. There are just so many doctors out there and from what I've read on this forum...it is very advantageous for one to do their research. I did a "google" search on Dr. Kelsey (and other doctors I'm researching) and only found this forum with any references for any of them. It seems like there are a lot of people on this forum who are willing to share their past hair transplant experiences (ggod and bad) with specific doctors (I see specific doctor names mentioned in many of the posts).

So, here's another generic question if I can't ask about other's experiences with a specific doctor...how does one go about researching the goods/bads of a particular doctor? Are there other web sites/forums which can be visited?

I've met with a couple of hair transplant doctors so far and, of course, they all lead one to believe that they are the greatest hair transplant doctor. How does one find out for sure?

One doctor (whose name I won't mention since that seems to be taboo) I really liked when I met with him for an initial consultation and was ready to "sign up" with him. Then I found this site and read a lot of negative experiences people had with that same doctor. So, now I'm "scared off" to that particular doctor and am researching others. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on these other doctors I'm researching...which is why I asked the specific question above.

I was hoping that this site would also provide me with some support and encouragement for a potential hair-transplant "first-timer"...who has already dragged his feet for over a year in having the procedure done and is trying really hard to gain the courage to proceed...but that doesn't seem to be the case based on some of the nasty responses to an innocent question for help/information. Thanks!

Although I have seen other posts that say "don't let geography dictate which doctor one selects"...I personally don't have the ability (work responsibilities/family responsibilities/finances/etc.) to travel to far off places to visit some of the doctors (who I'm sure are very good) promoted on this site. Thus, I'm forced to either find someone within a few hours of where I live...or continue to put off having a procedure done.

Again, I'm new to this whole process...and this forum. Do the doctors who are listed on this forum somehow sponser/support this site...which is why if someone inquires about a doctor outside of the "network"...they are "blasted"?

I'm just a common guy who wishes to improve my appearance via the possibility of a hair transplant. For me, it is a very scarey (and expensive) process to undertake...so I'm not trying to be a wise-guy. But if this forum is restrcited to only discuss those specific doctors who are listed in the "network", please let me know and I'll discontinuing posting.

Again, after spending considerable amount of time reading other posts on this forum...and seeing requests for information from other posters about doctors outside of the "network", I was innocently asking a question about a doctor I know nothing about....for there seemed to be a precedence many times over that this was a forum where people could ask others about their own experiences.

getFuzzy,

if the doc is so close to where u live.. i reckon u go over and ask him to post some patient pics with details of surgery.. that way ppl here who have never heard of this doc will get a better idea of this doc.. thats how a new doc comes in here i guess.. somebody from that clinic or some patients of theirs should take the initiative.. since there has been none even though he has been practicing for some years everybody here will be a bit skeptic...

GetFuzzy,

I apologize if my and other posts came across as strong and attacking.

You have to understand that there are a number of spammers that come to various forum communities to spam and advertise their clinics masquerading as a hair transplant patient but actually working for the hair transplant clinic. A strong indication of this is when an old thread is revived like this one instead of starting a new thread. Once again, I'm sorry that we misjudged you.

You are welcome to ask about and talk about ANY physician regardless of whether or not a physician is recommended on our network.

Please accept my apology and please feel free to continuing posting your questions/concerns.

Regarding a "bias" that hair transplant patients may have about certain doctors - you have to understand that finding a first-rate hair transplant physician is key to ensure a quality hair transplant. You are asking all the right questions especially since anyone you consult with will believe they are the best. That is why communities such as these are extremely important to research. But "biases" formed about particular physicians are because many hair restoration physicians, especially those recommended on this site have consistently proven themselves to yield positive results. Seeking an unknown doctor is risky which is why this community exists - so you can see for yourself the quality of the work performed by reading about hair transplant patient experiences and viewing pictures posted by real patients.

Click here to see how we recommend physicians on this community.

If you are looking for a quality hair transplant physician in Michigan, I recommend considering and consulting with Dr. Leonard Aronovitz, one of our Coalition Physicians. Feel free to use the find feature of our community to see what other hair transplant patients have been saying.

Best wishes,

Bill

getfuzzy, there are only a handful of TOP HT docs in the world. and when trying to improve the appearance of your hair you do not want to run the risk of going to a less-than-top doctor--it could make things worse for you.

as others will tell you, do not let travel stop you from getting a first-rate procedure. if that's a factor than i would say forget it altogether.

good docs to start with are: feller, alexander, rahal, hasson and wong, shapiro, wolf, cole. do TONS of research before deciding on anything. this site is a great place to start. also check hairlosshelp.com.

Best of luck to you.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I would recommend FUZZY that you really think about this. I am not going into details....But listen to what HAIRHERE said. I know from experience...DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH THIS. Save money, then go. Don't get all emotionally involved as I did and now am having to deal with the problem of scarring and I am only 31...

Go to the DOCTORS recommended on this site starting with what HARIHERE recommends...

You don't want to deall with a F'ED UP BACK OF THE HEAD..

TRUST ME~!

• 3 years later...

I am apprehensive to say anything based on concerns about spammers... For the record I am not... I saw Dr Kelsey starting in 93 and went back over the years and never had any problems. Except now when my original hair is thinning. The procedures with him were at the start of my inevitable thinning. There were no bald areas and I think he did a great job. I want to say I've read concerns about his harvesting method at the time, the dove tailing. I'm not sure if he still does that or not. It worked for me with minimal scaring. I wish I would have made the trip and gone back to him.

I had my most recent hair transplant almost two years ago. The donor area was from the back of my head and a very good donor zone. Of the areas I could witness easily, many of the old follicles didn't fall out for well over a year. In the front\hairline was "peppered" follicles about an 1\8 inch or so below to blend in and clean up some previous work I had done over the years with Kelsey. Of those in from there are only a few left now. Some grew in and then have thinned and fallen out. As I mentioned before I started transplant procedures in 1993 and never had this problem before. Those follicles are still with me and growing strong. This recent transplant was with a different Dr and he used the method of removing a long strip from the back and cutting up the follicles to be transplanted from the strip. My concern is that maybe during the procedure the follicles were not cared for properly. Maybe out too long before transplanted or maybe cutting\removing them from the strip was not done properly damaging the follicles. I have a follow up appt but I'm worried he's going to blow smoke my way. He is a top Dr in my area although no listed in HTNetwork.

I just notice you posted this in 2004. Did you ever get a procedure?