Calling all smokers (or ex-smokers!)

Robert_

...and I am talking about cigarettes to all you "Cheech and Chong" types icon_biggrin.gif.

The evil seductress known as Marlboro Lights led me back into her lair here recently. It all started innocently enough. I was at a function (ok...ok...a party) and I was having a few Guinnesses and talking to some friends. A young woman that I used to casually date came up to say hello. The last time that we spoke I was a pack-a-day smoker. Well, when she lit up I didn't flinch. Months of not smoking had given me that much will-power. That turned out to be my downfall, however.

While we were talking she remarked that she had never seen me with a beer in my hand without a cigarette in the other. I immediately went into this gloating spiel about how I quit, that I feel so much better that I had, and, basically, how awesome my will power was. She congratulated me and immediately proceded to offer me one of hers. I took it. Like an idiot, I figured that one wouldn't hurt. I figured that I had been away long enough that I could be a "social smoker." Oh, how very wrong I was.

For the rest of the night while drinking I would bum smokes from her. On the way to another party, I told the designated driver to stop at a convenience store and bought a pack. The next morning when I woke up, I had about 12 left in it. "Might as well finish 'em," I thought to myself. I have been back to about 3/4 a pack a day for a couple of months now.

I slipped and slipped bad. Today was my "Quit Day" to kick the habit again. I am armed with the Commit Lozenge, a recent book purchase (" 21 Days to Stop Smoking "), and more gum than any grown man should be allowed to carry at any given time. I am confident that I will be able to quit again. That is not the problem. The real kicker is how cocky I had become. I realized that once you quit, there is no going back. Once a smoker, always a smoker. I will never be able to be a "casual smoker." I have learned my lesson. Now, I just hope that my fat-headedness will not get in the way anymore.

Has anyone else gone through this? Slip up at more than 3 or so months after quitting? I'd like to know that I am not the only one succeptible out there.

Smoking is a hell of a thing. We know its horrible for us, yet society still deems it so acceptable (within waining limits, of course). I think that is the sole reason that it is so difficult to quit (other than the obvious mental, psychological, and physical addictive properties). If it were not so easy and legal to obtain then it would be infinitely easier to quit.

Don't get me wrong, I am not out to start a "ban smoking" campaign. Far from it. I used to hate it when I would be smoking OUTSIDE and someone would scowl at me for it. Basically, it just took me this long to realize the mental affect that the habit has on you.

/end rant. Anyone else have any input on this? I figured it would make for some good discussion.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

...and I am talking about cigarettes to all you "Cheech and Chong" types icon_biggrin.gif.

The evil seductress known as Marlboro Lights led me back into her lair here recently. It all started innocently enough. I was at a function (ok...ok...a party) and I was having a few Guinnesses and talking to some friends. A young woman that I used to casually date came up to say hello. The last time that we spoke I was a pack-a-day smoker. Well, when she lit up I didn't flinch. Months of not smoking had given me that much will-power. That turned out to be my downfall, however.

While we were talking she remarked that she had never seen me with a beer in my hand without a cigarette in the other. I immediately went into this gloating spiel about how I quit, that I feel so much better that I had, and, basically, how awesome my will power was. She congratulated me and immediately proceded to offer me one of hers. I took it. Like an idiot, I figured that one wouldn't hurt. I figured that I had been away long enough that I could be a "social smoker." Oh, how very wrong I was.

For the rest of the night while drinking I would bum smokes from her. On the way to another party, I told the designated driver to stop at a convenience store and bought a pack. The next morning when I woke up, I had about 12 left in it. "Might as well finish 'em," I thought to myself. I have been back to about 3/4 a pack a day for a couple of months now.

I slipped and slipped bad. Today was my "Quit Day" to kick the habit again. I am armed with the Commit Lozenge, a recent book purchase (" 21 Days to Stop Smoking "), and more gum than any grown man should be allowed to carry at any given time. I am confident that I will be able to quit again. That is not the problem. The real kicker is how cocky I had become. I realized that once you quit, there is no going back. Once a smoker, always a smoker. I will never be able to be a "casual smoker." I have learned my lesson. Now, I just hope that my fat-headedness will not get in the way anymore.

Has anyone else gone through this? Slip up at more than 3 or so months after quitting? I'd like to know that I am not the only one succeptible out there.

Smoking is a hell of a thing. We know its horrible for us, yet society still deems it so acceptable (within waining limits, of course). I think that is the sole reason that it is so difficult to quit (other than the obvious mental, psychological, and physical addictive properties). If it were not so easy and legal to obtain then it would be infinitely easier to quit.

Don't get me wrong, I am not out to start a "ban smoking" campaign. Far from it. I used to hate it when I would be smoking OUTSIDE and someone would scowl at me for it. Basically, it just took me this long to realize the mental affect that the habit has on you.

/end rant. Anyone else have any input on this? I figured it would make for some good discussion.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 years later...

Robert,

YES, I have had that experience. Granted, I hadn't made it as far in quitting as you had.

Over a three year period I must've 'quit smoking' 20 times. It was starting to drive me crazy.

And I discovered, I can't go out drinking with people who smoke. Period.

I've now successfully *knock wood* quit again, this time cold turkey. It's been 18+ weeks.

I CAN drink. I avoided it entirely for weeks, but then allowed myself to have a glass of wine with dinner and a non-smoking companion. Then worked my way up to be able to have cocktails with non-smokers.

Now I've even gone out and had cocktails with smokers BUT, when they go out to have their cigarette, I stay inside!

I'm sorry for your lapse, but glad to hear you've not given up hope. Just think of it one step in the struggle.

And it will be a life-long thing. I know I'll always be a smoker and always be at risk for going back.

One day at a time.

This is my first post! I am SO happy to have found this site.

Just started doing research this week. Probably over a year away from surgery.

Thanks guys!

Forgot to say: that ABSOLUTELY there are others out there with stories like yours, with several months or more of smoking sobriety and then went back. A co-worker here in the office said he quit for six months before and went back. (And he's now at 8 months yet again.)

And a guy I knew a few years ago said he'd quit for TEN YEARS only to start again.

It REALLY is an addiction, like alcoholism.

You need to talk about it, confront it, and just don't loose sight of the goal.

And ignore all these people that make light of it - it's A BIG DEAL! Ugh. HUGE.

I tried patches, I tried gum. I was prepared to try hypnosis, therapy - ALL of it. And if I relapse I shall continue those efforts.

I go through phases of snacking - nuts with no salt, dried cranberries this week, CARROTS have been really useful - try to snack on healthy stuff.

Good luck, Sir!

• 5 months later...
Guest eyebrow

7 years , 2 marathons, daily running, weight lifting, fitness guru and model of every aspect of healthy living. Health was my identity (even my job.) Survived very bad things in life - you name it. Never had the urge. Then the loss of jobs, self esteem with the change to my appearance -still OK for years. I could hang around bars, dated smokers (ick, then) Hated the smell by then but even let people smoke in my house sometimes. Finally, snapped and felt hopeless about my situation and started picking one up here and there and now I'm making up for those 7 years. Ugh.

Guest eyebrow

One more thing... As my mother says, "I don't now why you're so upset, at least you know it;s possible. A good point to remember after a relapse - even a very bad one. (It would help, though, if I was feeling normal and wasn't so anxious that I'm living on hair sites!)

SHIT!!! This is kind of discouraging. I used to smoke AT LEAST a pack of marlboro reds a day, for five years. Loads of red wine at night, followed by a constant influx of espresso in the morning ALL accompanied by cigarettes...

Here's the thing: Im a TOTAL extremist. Everything is 200% or nothing. I used to lift weights and be in the gym six days a week. In excellent shape, I had to force myself to give myself a day off...

Went through a period where I still worked out and smoked WAY too much.

I took chantix and it worked fantastically. I quit smoking New Years day, from smoking heavily and not working out at all for six months. I started walking 12 miles a day, lifting weights again, not smoking or drinking any red wine so I wouldn't crave a smoke...In all honesty, the chantix worked wonders along with my healthy work out investments. I never had any nic-fits and even when I walked by smokers it smelled rathe repulsive. My breathing cleared up and I had absolutely no coughing or constant clearing of my throaght which I used to have every three minutes...

I went from january 1'st to the 17th with not one single cigarrete. Then on Friday I just felt like I wanted to go out and have some fun as I have not had a drink in a month. Went out, pounded some vodka ( a TON of vodka) and thought I could just smoke a few cigarettes socially for the evening and then put them down...

I should have known better. I know myself and I don't do ANYTHING in moderation. Smoked half a pack that night, then was hung over the next day so I went to the bar and nursed some new castles and smoked the rest of the pack...

Chantix seriously works. I had NO nic fits. What I did have was this underlying craving for the whole tactile experience and process of smoking. I attempted to quit cold turkey before and went for 2 weeks and I can completelly tell the difference...

I was stupid. Hoping to just "socially" smoke when I drink...not gonna happen. Im back on the chantix on not going to make that mistake again.

I think if you were never a smoker then this thread looks depressing and pathetic, but if you were or know anyone who was, then it makes total sense.

you can't go from a habit/ addiction as strong as smoking every day for years to quiting cold turkey with absolutely NO relapses. Every one I know who used to smoke and eventually quit went through a few relapses before it finally stuck.

were all human and fall. What makes the material long term difference is what you do when you fall:l do you pick yourself back up, brush yourself off and continue moving forward; or do you stay stuck?

were ALL gonna fall, but its what you do from that point moving forward. what is the OVERALL end result?

I don't know anyone who has never gone back and had a relapse with something like this. Its just a matter of moving forward...

Ancient thread

But anyway, I was a pack a day smoker - then one night it was extremely chilly, I was out hitting the town with some mates, and got sick.

I got pneumonia.

SO I didn't smoke for a month while it passed, and after a month, I picked up the pack again (i didn't really plan to quit) ... and I said, you know what, if I lasted 4 weeks, lets do another four weeks.

2 years later and not one smoke more, I leeched a few here and there.

Nowadays, I am still a quitter, but I leech the occasional, and have even purchased a pack here and there when I felt like it, and never took up the habit though.

Anyway, in saying that, I started the night shift at work, its killing me, I am all alone in a supervisory role, looking over a subcontractor, who really, needs no guidance (in construction). So I am gonna buy a pack tonight, smoke it over a few nights, and then prove to myself that I can smoke without become hooked again.

Lol @ tempting fate. Idiot

EDIT - spelling was atrocious - I barely understood what I wrote

Guest eyebrow

That's what's so messed up about my story. Tried before, had the lapses... These last several years, I had every opportunity and less than zero interest. No appeal to me. Never thought about it. Wouldn't continue seeing someone I liked because I couldn't stand the smell on him. Boggles my mind that I could have started again. A testament to how bad life can get and the straws we'll reach for when we think nothing matters... Just wrong company and wrong thought at the wrong time.

Originally posted by its752:

anonymous man, That's smoking!! That's part of the whole smoking game. If your smoking one smoke a month your considered a smoker.

NOOOOOOOOOO

(shhhhh dont tell anyone)

I like to think that my smoking is out of pure enjoyment and not habit

That sort of justifies it icon_smile.gif hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

one "smoke" a month is NOT---NOT---ANYWHERE NEAR A SMOKER!!!! There are 20 cigarrettes in a pack. Most smokers smoke a pack a day... What Anonymous Man sounds like to me is a social smoker now. My brother in law used to smoke, then quit. And has the ability to only smoke on occasions. Like one here or there if he has a drink and someone else is smoking, so he bums a cigarrette. I Wish...I WISH I had this ability. Unfortunately I'm 200% or nothing.

I quit for 17 days which was for me incredible. Began lifting weights again and started walking 12 miles a day. Then, under the premise (bull shit voluntary self deception) that I could have a few smokes over some vodka on a Friday night, then just put them down again, I started smoking again.

Well, I will quit. And not deceive myself again--even though self-deception is not even truly possible.

***BY THE WAY*** I know SO many people who smoke out of boredom as Anonymous Man stated. I for one have WAY too much time on my hands and I know most of my smoking is a result of this. Pretty stupid since the act of "smoking" isn't very exciting. there's just something to it. Only a smoker/ex-smoker would understand...

• 3 months later...

used to smoke regularly but i now am QUITE successful at being a social smoker (though at the same time there's nothing like a bad day at work to drag you back into the soothing embrace of nicotine!)

If i could i'd smoke regularly. I enjoy it, so fuck the long term effects! Only problem is the old asthma means the long term effects are reduced to quite present effects. After a few bad bouts of chest problems, and one particularly bad moment, i've reduced the amount i smoke... as the unpleasant choking etc was overshadowing the pleasantness of smoking.

But i can't see myself ever fully quitting. It's enjoyable, i enjoy smoking when i'm out, and i live to enjoy life!

But kudos on quitting! It's not easy. incidentally, don't you hate when non smokers tell you to quit? the old 'how hard can it be' crap.... quite hard!

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone who has quit for the first time with success? I'm on week 3, and now feeling discouraged icon_frown.gif

I assume chantix are some form of nicotine patch or something, like nicobate? Can anyone shed any light on how the cravings are once you've finished the course of patches/gum etc? While i rarely crave a smoke since i've been on the patches, my biggest fear is resisting temptation when i don't have a patch on to ease me through.

nick_au

• 2 weeks later...

Quitting smoking must be done beside a real, tangible goal that you can chart the progress of so that you have the twin roles of:

1) Visible difference in your lifestyle by adding this new activity

2) You can focus your energies and attention on something OTHER than quitting.

I tried patches, gum, candy, and I always reverted back to smoking. This was about 10 years ago. But then I decided to start running, and I never was a good runner. But it kept me from going back, and the thought of smoking when I had a run coming up was not even on my mind, considering how I felt after each run.

10 years later I'm still running and not smoking. I traded a bad habit for a good one. Always try and do something else to take your mind off quitting.

And for those smokers, I have a 52 yr. old co-worker who has only months to live because she smoked for 30 years. Remember why you are trying to quit.

• 7 months later...

i started smoking at age 18 and i tried quit smoking 3 times by now (longest was 9 months ??“ my first try) and currently i am at 2.5 month mark with third and hopefully final attempt. here is another reason why you should quit smoking as i learned this first hand.

every time i quit smoking i notice improvement in my facial appearance big time. it's the area under my eyes to be more specific, so when i smoke (12 ??“ 15 cigs per day) it gets very black under both eyes. after a joint it's even worse! so every time i quit smoking i notice drastic improvement and the "raccoon eyes" is non issue what so ever as everything blends perfectly with the rest of my face (colour wise). it takes 5 to 7 days of no-smoking for me to eliminate the "raccoon eyes" issue.

so having said all that it makes me think as if i see the "lack of oxygen" or perhaps "blood clogging" vessels under my eyes where the skin is the thinnest, then the same goes for the head skin and blood vessels up there where transplanted grafts depend on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeap, it's happened to me. I quit for 3 years, I used to dream about it and feel guilty when I woke up. Then I had this room mate and it started one puff at a time, then one smoke, then a pack a week and so on............

I quit again, but three years later at a time of stress I started again, then quit. This happened one more time. Now I don't have that first drag. I tell myself it will taste terrible and just don't go there! So far so good 1 1/2years fresh and clean!

Good luck fellow slaves!

Cheers Norm