How Soon After The Transplant Can You Return To Work

Hi,

I've been told different answers to this - one from a transplant clinic and one from someone who had it done. I was hoping others who have had this done could share their opinion.

What I have been told is basically this:

Basically you can return back to work - the very next day after the transplant if you wish. The scabs from the transplant fall out after about 10 days after the operation - so if you want you can wait till 10 days and return to work.

The person I know who had it done - said he took two weeks off work - saying it was his first operation ever and wanted to take it as easy as possible.

I'm not so sure the scabs (hope thats the right word) would be an issue for me - I am not completely bald - i will have reasonable coverage on the top. Anyway I would appreciate it if others could share their own experience or what they've read or heard of?

Thanks

Hi,

I've been told different answers to this - one from a transplant clinic and one from someone who had it done. I was hoping others who have had this done could share their opinion.

What I have been told is basically this:

Basically you can return back to work - the very next day after the transplant if you wish. The scabs from the transplant fall out after about 10 days after the operation - so if you want you can wait till 10 days and return to work.

The person I know who had it done - said he took two weeks off work - saying it was his first operation ever and wanted to take it as easy as possible.

I'm not so sure the scabs (hope thats the right word) would be an issue for me - I am not completely bald - i will have reasonable coverage on the top. Anyway I would appreciate it if others could share their own experience or what they've read or heard of?

Thanks

mm76,

It really depends on what you do for a living and whether or not you are concerned about people knowing you had a hair transplant, and if so, how you are going to conceal it.

If you are concerned solely about being able to function at work, if you have a desk job, you can return the next day assuming you can work with some mild donor discomfort or pain. If you have a job that involves heavier lifting or moving around, you will want to wait a week or two before going back.

If you are concerned about your concealing your hair transplant to your co-workers, this opens up a whole new discussion. icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Well I would want to conceal it too. Seeing I was planning on having it done on a friday and then back to work on monday. That said, what exactly would make it obvious that i had something done? the scabs (thats what they call them here)? Would these be visible after 2 days and would they be visible considering I am not completely bald on the top/front. My hair is just slightly thin there - you could see my scalp under sunlight or extreme lighting. what could i do to conceal it or is it not that obvious?

Bill is right on with his thread. Depends on whether you are doing a little or a lot, how long is surrounding hair(can you comb it over recipient area), does your doctor shave recipient area (like we do--multiple blogs on that) and what do you have to look like when you go back to work.

We do a fair amount of "frontal triangle" work and although I shave the recipient area, if we can get the patient to grow the forelock a bit, then they can kind of "bushy it up" and have it cover the recipient area after just a few days. Thus, we do a lot of Friday or Saturday surgeries and people like this tell me they go back on Wednesday, but that is a guideline--not a guarantee. It is however a good argument for doing a smaller case (15-1800 grafts) in the triangles if there is a pretty good forelock, rather than doing a 2500 + grafter and getting a change that would be hard to conceal upon returning to work in a few days.

So we do a lot of frontal triangles, let it grow for a year or more, and then if the forelock is thinning, that can be done and will be hidden behind the previous work so guys can often pull off the entire procedure without too many people knowing.

Dr. Lindsey RESTON VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

if you can wear a hat to work do so. if you cant i would recommend you take about 2 weeks off if your concerned about anyone knowing. While you may think you are able to "hide" your recipient area with your native hair, it will be difficult to fully conceal the redness and scabs that are a byproduct of surgery. I'm like you, i just had surgery to improve my hairline. However, it was still difficult to conceal, even with my hair being about 4-5 inches long. This is especially true if your work forces you to interact with people at close range.

I had mine done on Thursday, and returned to the office on Monday at 11 a.m. Now, it's only me and a secretary and I think she was suspicious of something. I had several large plugs removed from my hairline so they were more noticeable than anything.

I was trying to lay low and dodge clients and colleagues for a few days for sure though.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

nm76,

I just received 2500 grafts (first HT) on May 22 (Thursday). I was back at work on Tuesday May 27 and nobody noticed anything. I received 50% of grafts in the crown and the rest spread on the top and front area. I have some hair and was able to comb over the areas to conceal it. My crown is bald so nothing could conceal there.

I have not had a single person tell me anything, notice anything, or have a strange look. I think I healed a lot faster than normal thanks to Monavie acai fruit juice I have been taking for a 4 months.

I could have returned to work on day 4 and it would have been fine as well.

The only aspect that was a little strange were the white grease balls I got. Not everyone gets these, but they only lasted from day 5 to 7 and you had to look closely at my head to notice.

I work on IT as a Project Manager in consulting. I was at my client site on day 5. No issues.

Good luck. Some pictures are in my blog. You can tell with wet hair, but once dry, I was 100% concealed.

If you have diffuse thinning hair that is shaved and replaced with thousands of grafts, there is really no way to hide the procedure short of wearing a hat.

Your scalp will likely be red for 2-3 months, and the grafts may shed anywhere between 1-4 weeks, so if you go back within the first week it will look like you have a buzz cut.

I did not look "normal" until 3 months and it was not until five months that hair growth caught me up to where I was before the surgery.

You may also have to contend with donor shock loss which may impact the way you style your sides if you usually buzz it.

The reality is that it is very difficult to hide unless you have native hair or a hat to cover the work.

Also, consider that you will not be sleeping well and this may impcat your job performance.

I believe I might be the recordholder here.

After my FUE with dr. Ilter in our institute I went right back for consultation after the session ended. I did 2 consults that evenening and both signed up immediatelly (altough I looked like a freak). icon_smile.gif

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Thanks guys, I'm more concerned about the redness and the scabs - which i guess is what makes it evident that you've had something done. So I guess I'' have to take two weeks off at least - crap I only have 2 left this year too.