HT ARE DETECTABLE...

Everyone on this forum is of the opinion that top notch docs (coalition) have the ability to create the illusion of a natural head of hair on virtually anyone, except to the trained eye of course. My mind was made up and I agreed.

But, I have been browsing some other forums and some of the guys (over there) claim that some individuals have characteristics which simply will not allow for a natural look. Period. This seems strange to me. They also claimed that transplanted hair will never lay on your head the way your native hair once did. I was always under the impression that the "kinkiness" and "friziness" were only temporary qualities that passed with time. I have two questions:

1. How is the transplanted hair different than native hair (apart from temporary kinkiness of course)?

2. What characteristics could an individual have that simply would not allow for a natural look even provided that they went to a world class surgeon?

Oh and let me throw in a bonus question that Im curious about since Im making a new post:

To those of you who have already had a ht AND your hair style is the parted to one side and swept over look: do you have this hair style due to a lack of density and therefore have no other styling options or do you just prefer it?

Everyone on this forum is of the opinion that top notch docs (coalition) have the ability to create the illusion of a natural head of hair on virtually anyone, except to the trained eye of course. My mind was made up and I agreed.

But, I have been browsing some other forums and some of the guys (over there) claim that some individuals have characteristics which simply will not allow for a natural look. Period. This seems strange to me. They also claimed that transplanted hair will never lay on your head the way your native hair once did. I was always under the impression that the "kinkiness" and "friziness" were only temporary qualities that passed with time. I have two questions:

1. How is the transplanted hair different than native hair (apart from temporary kinkiness of course)?

2. What characteristics could an individual have that simply would not allow for a natural look even provided that they went to a world class surgeon?

Oh and let me throw in a bonus question that Im curious about since Im making a new post:

To those of you who have already had a ht AND your hair style is the parted to one side and swept over look: do you have this hair style due to a lack of density and therefore have no other styling options or do you just prefer it?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but since the hair from the donor isn't affected by dht, perhaps that's what makes it more coarse? People with curly or wavy hair seem to have more varying hair characteristics between donor and recipient than those with straight. for instance, my donor hair has wave, but the hairline gets cork screw curly.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

ng2gb,

I have read the post you are referring to I believe.

I believe that the best of physicians can mimic nature pretty well and a hair transplant can be virtually undetectable to the untrained eye, but nature cannot be duplicated exactly so some things may stand out depending on how the hair is transplanted, hair density, hair coverage, etc. This is why it is extremely important to have hair transplanted in such a way that will appear natural, even if the desired hair density cannot be reached.

I'll be interested to hear what people say about their chosen hairstyles. For me, I style it straight back pulling some hair forward to give it more body and style. Even when my hair was thinner, I preferred this style - but now that I have the hair density for it, it looks that much better!

Bill

Bill,

thanks. I also read that transplanted hair will never lay on your head the same way your native hair did. Is there something to this besides the temporary kinkiness?

I don't recall you giving any recent photos of your ht with Dr. Hasson. It should be fully matured or close to it by now, right? At what month (post op) was your last photo update?

Notgoing2,

Some hair characteristics are very forgiving and it is hard not to make the work look natural. With other hair types, naturalness is a challenge. Still, certain surgeons can overcome these challenges. Like anything else, you find a way or you make a way.

BTW, have you had the chance to check out any HT work in person?

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

THLC,

thanks. No I have not had a chance to check any work out in person and Im attempting to get a hair convention together. You should come, check it out:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...441057253#1441057253

If anyone else is interested then lets do this!

I think we should plan it out for AFTER the new year so we can get a lot of people there.

Could you give me some examples of which hair characteristics fall into which category regarding natural and unnatural appearances?

Hi

Good topic. I think it varies and a hairstyle certainly can make or break a HT. BUT I think hair characteristics and the Norwood make a big difference. Very difficult to make a blanket statement here.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

From my experience, it always appears that on this forum everyone is under the impression (or at least I was) that if you go to a top doc then it is ONLY detectable to the trained eye (i.e. us hair geeks who only know because were considering getting one). When I look at H&Ws' website I don't see any that would give it away.

I thought with the relinquishing of mini's and micros' the only detectable aspect of the procedure would be the scar. Can someone tell me why it would be so obvious apart from temporary kinkiness? We obviously don't have to worry about the old pluggy doll head look anymore, so then what is it?

I still haven't got any specific, concrete examples of what hair characteristics would lend themselves to an unnatural result with the exception of contrasting skin to hair colors, which I assume is merely so that the scalp isn't seen as obvious. Any thing else? I would really like to know.

notgoing,

This is an awesome post with great questions. I would like to see these questions answered by someone. I really would like to see someone answer your bonus question about hair styling. I started a thread about "cosmetic expectations not met or surpassed". To my surprise not many responded with solid answers which makes me wonder.

You only live once...

• Moderators

Some people like to think they are smarter than they really are.

How do they know they can tell the HT hairlines from natural hairlines when they are only studying high resolution still pictures of hair transplanted hairlines?

The next time someone says to you that they can tell the difference, ask them how many times they saw high res photos of natural hairlines.

I mean seriously, even if you can tell by studying an close up shot for a few minutes, how many times have you ever done that to someone in person? It doesn't happen.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

There is no way people can tell every HT. Look at some of the pics on here. camera's always pick out flaws.

There are some undetecable ones on here and more than you think.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Arrie,

I agree. This post has gotten SOME comments, but not many specific, concrete examples of the different hair characteristics which lend themselves to either looking natural or not. I often check and see how many people are logged in on this site. Theres alot, I guess a lot of people just like to read and not comment.

As far as the styling option question goes: virtually NO ONE EVER answers this question! This is a question I think all virgin scalps wanna know. Especially us younger guys.

Be Happy and Mrjb, I think I agree with you guys. As you recall I posted this because some one on another forum said he was simply not a good candidate for a ht, as he does not feel they look natural. Well, this some what alarmed me as it is taken for granted on this site that the top docs can produce natural results on virtually anyone. Hence the post. But, I think you guys are right.

I keep getting a bunch of general comments, but I would like specific examples if anyone has any. I have one simple question that I would like answered:

1. What SPECIFICIALLY would make a ht obvious given a top doc does it (i.e. so there is no pluggy look) apart from temporary kinkiness?

Notgoing2,

If you have questions about hair characteristics and naturalness, I think you will find it hugely beneficial when you check out some live patients. Pictures are great, but there is no substitute for seeing live work, even if it is just a few patients.

For me naturalness is the most crucial aspect of a HT. Without naturalness, coverage and density do not matter. Everything is in the details so get up and personal with a few HT patients if ya can. I think your convention idea is a great one

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

me too and Im surprised there hasn't been more interest. On top of seeing results in person, we get to meet the guys weve been chatting with on line over drinks? Whats better then that? Should I put.."STEAK, VODKA, HOOKERS, AND HAIR" in the title? that seemed to get Spex attention...

c'mon guys, this would be really cool..

Personally, I just got a 1650 hair graft HT to the very front of my hairline, so I have no way of giving you a definite answer to your concern... naturally.

On a non-natural level, I can give you a DEFINITE answer: Straightening Iron. There are so may different gels/lotions you can use pre-blowdryer to get the effect you desire of your hair if you are Caucasian, whether it's straight, curly, wavy, thick, etc... Then following blow-drying, the best way to further rid kink or frizziness is a straightening iron. Plenty of companies make straighteners for men that are anywhere from 1/2 in. to 1&1/2 in. wide. If you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a HT, and more money a month on Propecia and vitamins and whatnot, why not spend 100 on a good straightener or hair-dryer?

I can guarantee that a combination of serums, lotions, gels, etc. combined with blow-drying and or straightening iron will give you 100% uniformity for your hair characteristics.

The point of a HT is to add more hair and density to the areas where you have lost hair. The journey to looking your best or the way you feel best doesn't end there however. If you want to look the way that you do in your dreams/subconscious/mind then you may have to fight genetics a bit. Fortunately technology has progressed to a point where you may do so given the research or experimentation you are willing to attempt. If technology can insert donor hairs into places where you used to have hair, don't you think technology can provide uniformity to your hair?

Yes,

In the first 8 months or so the hair may be extra coarse or kinkny. This will smooth out over time. For me it take about 14 months for the final result

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

are we ever gonna see this chick slaying monster mop of yours? who in the world is going to recognize your hair line? Even if they do, they are probably balding themselves as they found it on this site....

send it to me pm....if not, I understand but I still remember our joke about your massive mop walking down the street (just the hair and a pair of legs) picking up chicks, taking them home and you yelling..."not the hair ladies, NOT THE HAIR!!!!"...

actually I was talking to Mrjb, but damn! You got a lot of hair! What were your stats (age, prior loss, grafts, ect.)? Do you have pre-ht pics and graft placement pics? You have a shit load of hair! I bet you can style that mop any way you wanna, huh?

Mrjb: beat that one! Thats' one chick slaying mop.

That's how it was before my HT as well as now, I just had it a week ago. I do have a lot of hair, but my hairline has receded about 3/4 in. on the temples and in the front. The way I've been styling my hair the past few years allows me to hide that fact, but I'd like to be able to have a more professional style because I'm going to be starting clerkships for judges and interning at law firms next year, so filling in my old hair line was important for me and I had the funds, so I went with 1500 grafts to restore my hairline. I'm 25 by the way.

There was an out of state vendor visiting my workplace earlier in the week, and he had outstanding characteristics for an undetectable HT. Yet I spotted his, almost immediately (no one else did, nor did I hear any murmurings, and I was attentive)

The guy had thick, bushy hair that he combed straight back. It revealed a artifically created front hairline (that could easily be made invisible in the hands of any coaliton doctor) and I could see the frontal work was not good at all, yet it was his hair characteristcs that let him get away with this.

To the trained eye, it was detectable, to the untrained eye, people never noticed that his front hairline was created by some doctor (he had no balding in the crown, and if he did, it was completely covered by his swept back hair on top)

You take someone like that, and one more session of small grafts right at the hairline to take away the unnaturally straight line it had and you could pretty much say that this guy would be undetectable to the trained eye as well.

So to say that you can "spot" someones HT is so subjective as to the individual.

Alot of it is simply hair coloring and hair thickness. This has alot to do with concealement. Dark, thin hair on a pale complexion is your worst nightmare. Lighter colored, thicker, curlier hair is your friend. I have to dye mine lightly blond, not that its any big deal (kind of cool after you do it a few times, I guess, and the look is good) but sometimes its simply the art of camoflauge, and sometimes you simply cannot conceal the obvious.

It's definitely a case-by-case basis as to detectability.