ripped out hairs

Guys, quick question, I'm like 10 months post op and the hair looks decent but I feel like whenever I comb my hair I loose a few hairs, its not a lot, maybe 1-5 everytime I comb my hair and it tends to mainly where the grafts were placed. Am I just being paranoid? I'm trying to be as gentle as I can when I comb that area, and I swear I'm coming the rest of my hair more vigorously and still I feel like more hair is coming out of the graft area.,...does that hair that falls out assuming its a graft grow back???

or is it gone?

thanks in advance.

0.5 mg Avodart daily since 6/19/06

1950 grafts with Dr. Hasson in the front line 6/19/06.

Guys, quick question, I'm like 10 months post op and the hair looks decent but I feel like whenever I comb my hair I loose a few hairs, its not a lot, maybe 1-5 everytime I comb my hair and it tends to mainly where the grafts were placed. Am I just being paranoid? I'm trying to be as gentle as I can when I comb that area, and I swear I'm coming the rest of my hair more vigorously and still I feel like more hair is coming out of the graft area.,...does that hair that falls out assuming its a graft grow back???

or is it gone?

thanks in advance.

GrowPlease,

At 10 months post op, you should not be experiencing any shock or fallout. However, hair does go through normal shedding cycles...so it could definitely just be that. Not knowing your specific case by memory, I will also say, that it could be native hairs that are dying around the transplanted grafts.

One way to get a better feel for what's going on...is to examin the hairs. Are they thick healthy looking hairs? It is most likely just shedding. Are the hairs thinner and maybe even shorter than the rest of your hair? It could be more native hair falling out.

I hope this helps.

Bill

no the hairs are thick and healthy looking. they sometimes come in pairs when they come out. so r u saying they might be native hairs that are destined for death? if they are grafts, they should grow back right?

thanks for speaking up Bill, your replies are always appreciated.

GP

Unless there's some other issue here at 10 months your HT hair should be cycling like your normal hair. If you feel it's excessive, I'd call your HT Doc or see a Dermatologist.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Growplease,

no the hairs are thick and healthy looking. they sometimes come in pairs when they come out. so r u saying they might be native hairs that are destined for death?

Re-read what I wrote...especially the paragraph icon_wink.gif

Here I'll save you the trouble of scrolling icon_biggrin.gif

"One way to get a better feel for what's going on...is to examin the hairs. Are they thick healthy looking hairs? It is most likely just shedding. Are the hairs thinner and maybe even shorter than the rest of your hair? It could be more native hair falling out."

You know, I would not be surprised to find out that a HT temporarily changes the cycling of normal native hair in a txplanted area. Like causes earlier or more frequent cycling for a while until things stabilize. I dunno, just a thought but I guess its possible.

Have you started using some hair product you weren't using before? I started using Nizoral shampoo at 6 months post-op and shed a load of hair. I used it for three months and shed all the time. By 9 months post-op I had less hair than at 6 months post-op icon_mad.gif The only thing I had done differently was use Nizoral. I stopped using it and the shedding stopped and the lost hair eventually grew back after several months.

Bill: thanks for the clarifying, I actually was one too many beers when I read your post. The hairs don't look like thinner shorter hairs, they look healthy with a small bulb attached to the end. They don't have the longer bulb that you usually see if you just yanked out one hair.

I've been using Nizoral on the regular since about 4 months post op. I haven't had any shedding with it the past, so I don't think its the nizoral but who knows?

Thanks for all the replies, I don't think its visually thinner than at 6-7 months. Its probably about the same. I didn't really see much thickening after 6-7 months and I was a later bloomer.

Originally posted by GrowPlease:

The hairs don't look like thinner shorter hairs, they look healthy with a small bulb attached to the end.

Definitely sounds like a hair with the 'club' at the end, which is a sign of normal shedding.

GrowPlease.

There really shouldn't be anymore shockloss. I can tell you this- as I asked a client of mine who has owned a hair salon in my city for the past 20 plus years. Hair loss can occur if you shampoo too rough. Are the hairs breaking off or do you see the root of the hair? Do not wear a hat!!!! The friction from the hat can break hair, especially if you have fine hair. Stop combing it, don't over style it with excessive heat from a blow dryer. Are you using rogaine? I can tell you from experience that I used to see more than normal hair loss when I would apply rogaine and then shortly after letting it dry I would style with hair products and a blow dryer. The hair was in fact breaking- because the rogaine dries your scalp. Apply your daily treatment of rogaine(if you are using it) a while before you go to bed. Don't apply it in the morning-just night. Hope all is well.. Do me a favor- I see that you are using Avodart-please scroll thru the questions and find mine that is titled AVODART SIDE EFFECTS??? I am experiencing terrible side effects from avodart... let me know what happens with you........later CJS

hairs aren't breaking for sure CJS. I usually always see a little bulb at the end of the hairs. I hardly rub the scalp at all while shampooing, never wear a hat, don't use a blow dryer and don't use minoxidil. Thanks for all the advice however. I might be combing the area a little too much though, I've been trying to stop doing that actually but its tough!!!

Side effects huh? I'll check out your post after this, but I've been free from any kind of side effects actually.