NEW MEMBER! HELP ME PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!

I am 22 years old and I am already going bald, to the extent where I probably need 7,000-8,000 grafts. I am looking for a good doctor in the Southern California region. THe following are my concerns

Price - I know its well stated that price should not be much of an issue. But I am only 22, barely out of college, it is an important issue to me. I recently went to a consulation at a $2/graft Crown Cosmetic facility, it was terrible, unprofessional, needless to say I am staying away. However I am looking for something in the 3-4 dollars a graft range, or even lower if possible considering I am getting alot of grafts.

Scar - I currently shave my head, how visible is the scar going to be after the first couple of weeks? Do the other types of HTs (that dont leave scarring) cost THAT much more?

Quality - Obviously.

What doctors, or clinics should I visit?

Please please please help me.

I am 22 years old and I am already going bald, to the extent where I probably need 7,000-8,000 grafts. I am looking for a good doctor in the Southern California region. THe following are my concerns

Price - I know its well stated that price should not be much of an issue. But I am only 22, barely out of college, it is an important issue to me. I recently went to a consulation at a $2/graft Crown Cosmetic facility, it was terrible, unprofessional, needless to say I am staying away. However I am looking for something in the 3-4 dollars a graft range, or even lower if possible considering I am getting alot of grafts.

Scar - I currently shave my head, how visible is the scar going to be after the first couple of weeks? Do the other types of HTs (that dont leave scarring) cost THAT much more?

Quality - Obviously.

What doctors, or clinics should I visit?

Please please please help me.

try Dr. Siporin-beverly hills

dr. alexander- phoenix

dr.gabel in oregon

try doing a search on the forums and read past posting.

Also, sometimes you need to go out of the area to find a doctor you like,

NO BOSELY or MHR.

If you need 7-8k grafts, you are a full fledged NW6+ -- at the age of 22, this would be incredibly rare. I would post some pics, if you can, so members can weigh in w/ an objective perspective on where you stand. You also would (most likely) not be able to achieve this in one sessions, but rather multiple sessions.

Re: price...thankfully, many of the top clinics do not charge exorbitant prices, and most are very competitive. I only mention this because you have stated that price is a major issue for you, otherwise I wouldn't bring it up b/c I don't want to seem like I am pushing *ONE* doctor -- but, Dr. Feller's pricing is extremely competitive, and I would recommend you look into him to begin with. Additionally, I would try to do some consults (be it live or online) w/ H&W, Shapiro, Alexander, to name a few. Often times, when traveling a great distance, a clinic will work out a deal with you so you don' get beaten down on the cost of the voyage.

Depeding on how short you shave your head, the FUT scar can be visible, particularly the first several months before it fully heals. However, with recent advancements (e.g. trichophytic closure) the scar really isn't that bad -- and I am sure docs you consult with could show you some good examples, and you can find some on this website, also.

The other "type" of HT, is "FUE", which leaves a much more invisible scarring when done right; however, it is MUCH more expensive; AND, perhaps most importantly, is really not used for large cases, which you seem to be leaning towards.

Also, have you gotten on any treatment yet? The Big Three? (propecia, rogaine foam 5%, revita shampoo).

As for clinics in Califnornia, Siporin seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback; though, I would implore you to not let location play a *major* role in your decision, and at the very least consult with some clinics that happen to be out of state, but are incredibly well respected and proven.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

This case may interest you -- http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=327

Also, fwiw, I am 22, as well.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, what NW level are you?

What makes you believe you need 7-8K grafts?

Being bald is NOT the worst case scenario. Do some research on this forum, having a POOR transplant which leaves you with a PLUGGY hair line, Wastes all your money, leaves you with a HORRIBLE scar, AND (worst of all) WASTES your finite, limited donor grafts IS the worst case scenario.

If you don't have the cash for a world class surgeon right now and financing is not an option, then I wouldn't even CONSIDER a ht right now.

If you think your self-conscious and look bad now, wait until you have a poor ht with all of the afore mentioned.

If you are truly a NW6+ at age 22 (which I really have no idea if you are or are not) then a ht might not even be a viable option for you to begin with...

I would post some pics or if your not comfy with that at least take a look at the NW levels and tell us where you think you fit in

-OR-

find a pic of someone else on the forum who has comperable hair loss and post that; so we know where your at.

That being said: don't rush out into anything...

right now you sound like your in a state of desperation, which is prime game for the butchers of this industry

and there are PLENTY out there.

This is your head. Any decision you make is going to last a life time and everyone you meet will be able to see what you had done on the top of your head.

Don't go to some coupon accepting Mcdonalds ht shop...

NG2GB,

I'm sure your input is much appreciated but keep in mind this is this lad's first post and very well maybe the first time he has spoken to anyone about his hair loss. It takes a lot of balls to get here, you shouldn't bark at brow beat the guy.

Hair loss can affect certain people certain ways and I know you are only trying to help and educate... but being so abrupt might not be the best angle in this particular case. icon_wink.gif

MbM

IMHO, if you have a good build and a nice looking head, I'd consider wearing it shaved slick for a few years.

Back in '88 when I was 22 this wasn't considered an option as far as style goes. But seriously, with the number of good-looking heads walking around shaved today I would consider it.

If you're overweight, it doesn't look so good. In my business (investments) I see a lot of men from 28 - 40 who call on our firm who look very good with a shaved head; as most are in great shape and wear suits to work every day. If you've got money and a nice looking body - all of a sudden your head looks good to women!

If you can pull it off, I think it's a great look and will cause you less grief if you just shave it every morning and forget about it.

I know this site is about transplants, but I'm dead serious. There are plenty of examples, such as Bruce Willis, J. Gordon Liddy, Andre Agassi (on the front of GQ this month) and plenty of others.

There are worser (if that's a word) case scenarios.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks for the replies so far. I am not rushing into anything, I have been considering this for several months now. Financing is definitely an option.

Thanatopsis - Dr. Fellers website indicates that he is almost 8-9 dollars per graft, is this what you are familiar with?

notgoing2gobald - i appreciate your concerns, and your reply was not taken negatively. point well taken. let me assure you that I am not rushing into this.

Dewayne - I currently wear my hair shaved slick, I worked at Nordstroms and have been told it looked nice. However, my concern is that the field I am going into is Pharmaceutical Sales. They place a great deal of emphasis on a "clean-cut" business man look.

As for pictures, here is one.

P10101255555.JPG.c2b83dd38997d5d1f01f194235894819.JPG

Not the best pic, BUT, in my opinion, you have some serious balding going on. I concur w/ NGGB that it appears your donor is thinning, as well.

Also, regarding 8-9 dollars a graft I am not familiar with that...thankfully! icon_smile.gif Perhaps you read that in reference to FUE (which Dr. Feller also does, and which is considerably more expensive), as opposed to FUT/strip.

Pharma sales aside, how comfortable (or uncomfortable) are you with your hair loss and how you look when you keep it shaved slick? How big a role is the pharma sales image?

-----------

NG2GB - My donor area is actually really thick, I realize it looks like its thinning in the pic, but I think its because I had just woken up and was wore a beanie to bed. I am pretty confident it will be fine. I didnt use clippers at all, I normally shave my head with a razor, but I was away on a trip for a few weeks so I simply didnt shave. The picture is how my hair looked after about three weeks.

thanatopsis - What is the price range for Feller, I am not against traveling. Im comfortable with my head shaved, its just I would much rather have hair now while im still young.

MAC just to let you know, im 21 and although not a nw 6 yet im headn there man, im in your same situation( i from california too man), keep in touch and let me know how it goes for you. and so far the docs i ve seen down here are ziering(which seems a little sketchy and hes gotten pretty bad feedback from this site, and i saw DR pak, who was more professional.

propecia .5mg 7x

revita shampoo 5x

multi vitamin 7x

saw palmetto 7x

Mac,

If I were you I would:

grow your hair out to at least an inch.

then either take pics and have an online consultation (or if you can go in person) with H&W, Feller, Shapiro; even IF you don't intend/cant afford a ht with ANY of them right now. The consultation is free so why not get a world class opinion.

I have heard of guys who went in for consultations with their hair very short and even the doc thought that the hair in the donor was miniaturising due to MPB

-BUT-

the same patient went to another doc later when his hair was longer, and it turned out the donor was not thinning at all.

Grow your hair out longer so you and the doc can get a better read on things.

I honestly don't even recall with absolute certainty, but I beleive I paid ~9k for 3k n' change grafts.

All things considered, and you being comfortable with a shaved head, I would seriously consider NOT getting a hair-transplant at this time; put the money towards something else, and save yourself a whole lot of time and emotional/physical energy. I, and prolly' many others, envy your situation in that regard.

I'd still get a couple online consults, however, with some top clinics.

-----------

JW - THanks for the support, what part of Cali are you from? I was about to look into Zeiring, I guess I might as well not bother.

NG2GB - Thanks again, I am looking into getting these online consultations, not just waiting for responses.

Mac,

I am sure that a top-notch doc will guide you in the right direction. To receive the nod from this end I would need to see more evidence of a strong donor area.

Likely not what you want to hear, but at your age and that aggressive of loss, I would be very cautious of HT. I guess it also depends on what your ultimate goal is. The fact that you are comfortable with a shaved head is certainly a bonus.

thanatopsis - That sounds like a really good price. Another MAIN reason I am considering the HT right now is that I am quitting my job to take the next few months off, since I recently graduated I have not had time to myself for a while. I was going to take advantage of this downtime because I will probably never come across it again. Does this make any sense?

That makes good sense; I can relate, as I was in something of an ideal time to be getting an HT.

Something you should consider, though: if you get an HT, it really won't be a "one and done" deal where you are absolved from needing another one in the future, maybe even the very near future. Just as an FYI, so you know there may very well be ANOTHER time after this where you will have to buckle up and get back in the chair one more time.

Also, I want to be clear that a HT may very well be the best thing for YOU -- just that there are lots of considerations, and you should weigh them. When you get some online consults with some top docs I think that will really be great for you.

-----------

Personally, I'd shave and shine that thing up and spend about $5k on three or four new, custom tailored suits, a gym membership and a pair of running shoes, and maybe the first months payment on a nice Lexus automobile!

I had lost a lot of hair at 25 when I had my 1st ht, and now at 42 I'm limited on the hairstyle I can have - and shaving or even clipped close isn't an option.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne - Thanks for the advice! I will use that as a solid plan B.

thanatopsis - What docs offer good online consultations? And I realize I might need more HTs later, but the first step is the biggest one i think.

I would start off looking into Feller, H&W, and Shapiro for online consults -- I am pretty sure all 3 of those do online consults, and do them well! icon_smile.gif If you do that, you will come away with a wealth of incredibly expert, pointed information regarding your situation and its options.

-----------

Hi Mac--- from what I can see of your pics, your NOT a candidate for strip surgery.

Regardless of what you wore to bed or how you have your hair at the moment, you have general thinning in the donor region.

I recommend you try propecia and minoxidil for at LEAST 1-2 years to see if you thicken up your donor and regrow some hair in the crown area.

If your level of loss is that severe at 22, you have a likelihood of progressing further.

After 1-2 years, re-evaluate your position with in-person consults.

Please consider my advice, and do NOT get a strip hair transplant or FUE for that matter at this time.

Please visit only top clinics with a history of positive ethical staff so you will be recieving advice that is best for YOU and not the clinic.

Put the ground work in, allow the meds time to to work, then re-evaluate.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.