6 months - no growth

I'm at 6 months and have no growth to speak of.

I had 2400 placed in the frontal third,close to 5,000 hairs.

Is it possible that I'm just a late bloomer? Or is it more likely I am in for a huge dissapointment?

I emailed my doc over weekend, but have yet to hear back.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm at 6 months and have no growth to speak of.

I had 2400 placed in the frontal third,close to 5,000 hairs.

Is it possible that I'm just a late bloomer? Or is it more likely I am in for a huge dissapointment?

I emailed my doc over weekend, but have yet to hear back.

Any advice is appreciated.

Maybe you can post some before pictures and some current pictures so that we can compare the two. It is possible that you are a late bloomer especially if you have slow growth to begin with.

Personally, I'm surprised that you have "no growth" at this stage.

This is a very scary time -- I am a bit behind you and wondering where everything is.

Even though they say 3-5 months, with many of the online posters you can see good growth in their pics in the month 3 or 4 time frame, then by month 9 they are absolutely hairy.

Hopefully you will be ok. I have heard of slow growers, but if nothing has happened in 6 months you may need to adopt some realism (as opposed to hopefulness) and come up with a contingency plan.

My understanding is that most of the top docs guarantee growth -- will replace grafts that did not grow and in some cases may refund the costs if there is no growth. Of course if there is no growth, do you want to return to te same clinic?

If you dont have any growth and the doctor does not respond adequately, I would start shopping your pics around and see what other docs have to say regarding the yield.

kevkristy,

I feel for you as this must be *very* tough and require an exponential amount of patience. It's possible that your a late-bloomer, but I would expect to see *some* signs of growth at the six month mark. Were you exaggerating or have you truly not seen *any* hair grow in the transplanted area?

Who was your doc? I would pick up the phone and give them a call directly. Your situation and concerns warrant a direct talk w/the doc, and perhaps your email just got lost in the bundle of so many others.

Keep us posted.

kevkristy,

Though most hair transplant patients see some decent hair growth by 6 months, it is possible that you are a late bloomer. Even though you can't see any new hair growth, can you feel any signs of new growth with your finger tips? Often times, new hair starting to grow can't be seen with the naked eye however, can be felt.

Contacting your physician is a good idea however, I'd give it another month to see how you progress.

Who was your physician?

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi

Thanks to all for the support. It is a distressing time. I thought the difficult part was going through with the procedure. But this part is even harder.

And it's sort of embarrassing... My wife, family and friends all know I've had a transplant. And while they don't say anything I can feel they're thinking "what the heck is going on?"

I wasn't one to take pics but I did take a photo following procedure and then another yesterday. If you look side by side it's pretty scary. Certainly not something one would say, "Yep that's what I want for $10,000!"

I'll post pictures today. As for surgeon, he's a coaliion doc and highly, highly recommended on this site. I don't want to mention his name yet, but if does not followup today, I'll post his name. That would give him over 72 hours to respond.

Thanks again to all. And any other feedback is welcome.

As promised, here is a side by side pic of 6 day post-op and exactly 6 month post-op. Not the greatest photos, but gives you an idea.

The sparse hairs you see in the sixth month are hairs already had pre surgery (if not even less). The post op pic sort of gives you an idea of where new hairline was supposed to be.

Again it was 2,400, close to 5,000 hairs to build only the frontal third. Expectations were conservative -- maintain receding hairline, filled in front, frame face, with hopes of propecia working on crown (where there is more hair).

Thanks. -KK

upload_sidebyside_a_copy.jpg.e0b0d51031186b1dfa47c1cbe4ae273f.jpg

Thanks Spex... Your comments are appreciated.

However, I do not feel that I am being impatient or unreasonable re: my concerns.

It's not like I'm at 3 months or 4 months. I've waited patiently for 6 full months, without a post of concern, without bothering my doc, etc.

Secondly, it's not like I'm concerned with the stoppage of growth after month 4 or 5 or the slowness in improvement. I'm concerned about no growth, no improvement.

I'm still waiting commment from my doc. It's been 3 days now with no feedback. I'll let you know what he says.

kevkristy,

If I were in your shoes, I'd be concerned too. I'm not suggesting that there IS a problem at this point - after all, it is still early - however, I know that I would be nervous thinking that I should be seeing hair growth by now.

Make sure you not only email your doctor but call him/her as well and express your concerns.

Please keep us posted.

Bill

Thanks Bill... It is very concerning.

I have sent along another email to doc and his office mgr. I hope to hear back this evening. If not, I'll call to get some feedback. I'll post the response.

Thanks to all!

Got feedback from doc. Told me "it is still far too early to judge the growth." (Although there is no growth.)

Essentially what I expected. Did not seem too concerned.

Will keep ya'll updated. Thanks.

Sorry to hear things arent happening yet. It is early but Im not so sure about far too early for no growth.

You quite possibly could be a very slow grower as I am.

Have you tried the foam to possibly jumpstart the grafts.

Dont panic yet but you concerns are valid.

If you went to a coalition doctor then they will stand behind you.

I have a friend Jimmyjam on here that also had no growth at 6 months then exploded in the last 5 ,so give it at least 2-3 more months before a final judgement

Your 6 day photo looks like the grafts were not placed very close together.

It definitely doesn't look dense packed.

Too bad you don't have a Day 1 photo after surgery.

Does your Doc have these photos?

This doesn't look like the type of work I am used to seeing from one of the Top Docs.

(Hasson,Wong,Rahal,Feller....)

I can see why you are concerned.

Nothing like paying $10,000 to look balder.

Byehair,

I don't think we can really make an accurate assessment of the 6 day picture in terms of dense packing verses coverage from the picture presented. More pictures would clearly be helpful.

kev,

I hope you decide to share the details of your surgery and post some additional pictures. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bill

Kevkristy,

It is a game of mine to sometimes guess that doc that did the work and I am almost certain I know the surgeon you saw. I would have to think that you are just a slow grower and likely will start to see a lot more at the 8 month mark. I can understand you concern though. Hopefully your doc will stand by their work should their be any yield concerns.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I also like to play that game. I have a feeling i know who it is as well and if it is who i think it is, kevkristy you'll will be just fine. Like nervousnelly says wait till 7-8 month mark and i bet you'll happy.

Thanks to all for comments... I'll tell you, I'm not expert here. So the comments on density I'll pass. Althouth the doctor is one of the top docs on this site, probably top 3 in terms of hairline artistry, frontal area. Or so says the public opinion.

He claims the 2400 grafts were "packed" in at a fairly small coverage area (we went conservative, didn't lower hairline at all and only frontal third).

I don't want to name the doc because I feel he'll back up work 100%, and I feel it will only cause unwarranted bad exposure for him at this point. Obviously if it doesn't grow in and he doesn't back it up to my liking, then I'll release name, only to help others.

I feel that is only fair.

Updates to come (any growth, doc feedback, etc).

Thanks to all.

Hi Spex

Good point.. I did no get shaved. And I feel I had some decent shock loss. At about 2 months I had less than pre op. The 6 day is straight out of shower.

Does shock loss come back? Or is it a case of losing x amount from shock loss and gaining x amount from transplant. And then all being wash?

Thanks. -K