accutane before surgery

I just got my pre-op instructions for my surgery oct. 4. It say no Vitamin A 10 days before surgery. I take accutane--low dosage 20 mg 3 X week for mild acne; accutane is a derivative of vit a. Will it be OK if I get off accutane a couple weeks before the surgery? I don't want to cause any complications during my surgery and compromise the results. Thanks for the replys.

I just got my pre-op instructions for my surgery oct. 4. It say no Vitamin A 10 days before surgery. I take accutane--low dosage 20 mg 3 X week for mild acne; accutane is a derivative of vit a. Will it be OK if I get off accutane a couple weeks before the surgery? I don't want to cause any complications during my surgery and compromise the results. Thanks for the replys.

D,

Accutane is a serious medication. It's effects can last for several months. In our clinic, we like for patients to be off of it for at least six months. You need to speak with your doctor about it as it could influence your procedure date.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Be very careful!!! I was on accutane as a teenager for a long time.

Although your dose is low it will affect the healing of your surgery. You will compromise your HT.

I say wait three months off of it because your dose is relatively low.

Originally posted by calvinmd:

There's a lot of unsettled issues about high doses of Accutane driving up MPB.

--------------------------------------------------

I was on accutane for a long time with a pretty high dose. My hair fell out rapidly. Lucky I had a lot of it. But compared to my brother who took no accutane he has tons more hair.

does accutane cause your hair to fall out? Hell yea.

I've been on two courses of Accutane. It stops the production of sebum in the skin to make acne cysts go away. It also makes your pores smaller.

I think it may have exacerbated my MPB.

Get off Accutane for 6 months before you have the HT or any other Aesthetic surgery.

Hello,

Acutane has many side effects and why doc consider accutane contra indicated before surgery?

This drug interfere the skin structure and proteins called collagen and elastin fiber so if it is not emergency surgery then you should avoid at least six months from any elective surgery.