Flexible spending account

Hi guys

I had an important question. Do you know if we can use flexible spending account money for Hair transplant procedures. i would really appreciate if you guys can reply quickly as i have a deadline tonite and need to decide how much i need to contribute in to my account.,

Thank you in advance

Hi guys

I had an important question. Do you know if we can use flexible spending account money for Hair transplant procedures. i would really appreciate if you guys can reply quickly as i have a deadline tonite and need to decide how much i need to contribute in to my account.,

Thank you in advance

That's an excellent question. If someone was twisting my arm for an answer I would say yes. The reason I would say that is I believe my wife used some of that for some plastic surgery on her eyes.

I've also heard the lasik surgery can be done with those funds too, and I know chiropractic care is covered.

You should call a couple of the clinics to be sure.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I'm fairly certain you can't use it on cosmetic surgery. You could apply it to the blood work etc. But the insurance carrier won't reimburse you for the transplant costs. Maybe a dr. Could chime in but I think that's the way it works. If not I'd love to know as well as your looking at over 30 percent savings due to the tax benefit etc

Lara,

That's a terrific and unique question that I don't think I've seen posed yet.

And clearly there is some mixed feedback.

I would guess since cosmetic surgery is optional and not covered by insurance, that you could not use a flexible spending account. But this is only a guess.

It's certainly worth researching further though.

Bill

Seriously though, that would be a good issue for one of the hair transplant associations to lobby for. Like someone mentioned before, you could save that money pre-tax, therefore it would take you about 1/3 less time to save up for a procedure.

Maybe now since Biden is the VP, he could help us all out seeing how he's had a couple of procedures at least.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Indeed it would be great if you can use it, but i'm almost 100% certain I looked into it at one point and the FSA stated that cosemetic surgery was not covered for reinbursement. As Dewayne mentioned though a great issue to lobby for sure. With that said, I hope i'm wrong and it is covered currently.

It may go through initially, but don't be surprised of you get a letter from the company questioning the charge and then sending you a bill to cover it. I know ours has been increasingly strict about what they do and do not cover. Just remember, do not put that $$ in the account without knowing FOR CERTAIN if it can be used for this purpose, because once it's put in there, you have to use it by the end of the year for approved purposes

Thanks for all your feedback guys. i really appreciate it. i also spoke to a couple of hair transplant doctors and it looks like it is not covered by FSA. I am waiting to hear from my insurance company on monday and will let you guys know. in any case, my deadline is expired but i hope it would benefit certain people in this forum

Below is from one FSA plan---

Hair Transplant Maybe Surgical hair transplants can be an eligible expense if it is necessary to improve a deformity that arises from, or

is directly related to, a birth defect, a disfiguring disease or an injury resulting from an accident or trauma. Doctor's statement required.

Doctor's Statement Form for Healthcare Expense

The Internal Revenue Service requires a doctor's statement be provided for certain healthcare expenses in order to be reimbursed from your healthcare Flexible Spending

Account (FSA) or Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA). The doctor's statement must indicate the specific medical disorder,

the specific treatment needed, and how this treatment will alleviate the medical condition.

SHPS has developed the following form to assist you and your healthcare provider in providing the information we need in order to process your reimbursement request. Your provider can also write a letter on his or her letterhead, as long as the letter includes all the information on this form.

For fast and accurate processing of your reimbursement request, please make sure to include this doctor's statement form or your provider's letter along with an itemized receipt or other documentation.

The reimbursement request form can be found on

Please note: If your treatment extends beyond the time period listed

below, you will need to submit a new

doctor's statement form.

Employee Name

Alternate ID/SSN

Email Address

Phone Number

Patient Name

Diagnosis

Recommended Treatment

How will the recommended

treatment alleviate the

diagnosis or symptoms?

How long is the treatment

required?

Provider Name

Provider Address

Provider Telephone

Provider Signature

Date

One additional note:

Note: SHPS' role is to ensure that the proper documentation is submitted for reimbursement under the Plan, and not to determine whether the treatment prescribed by your doctor or other

licensed health care provider is medically necessary.

Simply answer is every company's FSA benefits are different--most are similar but some variance. Some co. allow Lasik-- good friends have done this. As far as other costmetic procedures it varies-- most will not but a few including my Dads company will allow it to be paid for HTs-- rare but some do.

If company offers you to just submit reciept for direct payment reimbursement it might be easier to get paid versus direct payment.

Call your benefits manager of your company.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Zinc/B6/Saw Palmetto

3 oz Zrii daily

It is hard to know. I feel certain that someone did use some type of FSA about 2 years ago with me, but I never filled out any paperwork. I had a guy in yesterday asking and had to advise him to ask his company rep.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I've heard of using flex spending for LASIK. Hair transplants and hair removal procedures (and cosmetics in general) are not eligible items to the best of my knowledge.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eyebrow

I used to be an administrator for IRS Code Section 125 Cafeteria plans and surgery soley for cosmetic purposes that does not treat any underlying health issue was not eligible. There are grey areas - for instance, Retin-A to treat acne (a medical condition) is covered by insurance but not Retin-A to treat wrinkles. Lasik does treat a medical condition.

• 6 years later...