Laser Combs - is hairmax the only choice? What about other brands?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've had a few people tell me that they've had luck with laser combs... however the $550 ones from hairmax are a little out of my price range. Does anyone know of any other brands? The only alternative I've found is

(promotional link removed)

Their comb only runs $79.95. It's not an LED comb - it's a 650nm laser comb. Anyone tried them?

Thanks in advance for any info!

I have a hairmax laser comb, which is collecting dust as we speak. I don't buy into its efficacy, though I'm more than willing to change my opinion if future results/information come out in favor of it. I would then go back to it and give it a try.

To me, the biggest problem the laser comb represents is that it might lure people into using it IN LIEU of the best treatments -- The Big Three...propecia, rogaine foam 5%, nizoral (or revita).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by Bill - Moderator:

BRiley,

Welcome to our community forum.

You are welcome to ask any question you like, but promotional links are not permitted as per our terms of service.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the warm welcome - and sorry, I didn't realize the product page counted as a promotional link.

Is it OK to put the name of the manufacturer here so people know what brand I'm looking into? I'm curious as to whether anyone else has used them.

Thanks again for the welcome!

BRiley,

Normally I allow external links if it is obvious a poster is asking a legitimate question. But when a newbie's first post contains a link, it comes off as promotional.

Feel free to mention the name of the manufacturer so people are aware of what you are intending to purchase.

May I advise you also to do a lot of research on laser therapy in our community on whether or not it is an effective hair loss treatment.

Bill

Thanks Bill - and I understand your concern over a newb's posts.

The brand is Wired Technologies AKA Get Wired Direct.

I've been reading a lot about laser therapy, and I've seen people coming out on both sides of the fence (as is the case w/ many hair restoration methods). The thing that's been stopping me from trying laser for myself is the price - with people on the fence about it, $550 seems like a lot to spend. That's mainly why I'm curious about wired technologies laser combs - much much cheaper at $80. At that price I'd be willing to try it out, but I'm still poking around to see if there are any reviews or personal experiences w/ their products to be found.

BRiley,

I'm glad to hear that you've been doing your research.

In my opinion, if you are going to try laser therapy at all, go the cheaper route of the laser comb and use it as an adjunct hair loss treatment along with Propecia and Rogaine.

I am not a believer at this point in laser therapy because I have not seen any compelling evidence of its efficacy however, I don't see a harm in trying it if you are willing to make the financial committment. Research will help you make an educated decision.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Moderators

I checked out the web site. It's the same output as Hairmax and others (650nm, 5mw) so it should be fine. It has 9 lasers. This sounds like a good deal at $80. It's low enough to try it out to see if it works for you without breaking the bank.

The reason Hairmax and Sunetics are so expensive is because they put a lot of research and have a lot of Drs on their "board" to make it look like a better product. I think you're better off going with the less expensive option. Mine is more of a laser brush that I got for around $119 (I can never remember the exact price) from another company. It's been working well for me.

The one you mention has both a battery operated option and a plug in option. I prefer plugging it into an outlet because I feel with batteries you don't always get the full output power. It's great to have the battery option though for occasional using it while watching TV or something, but I would try to use the cord as much as possible. Just my opinion.

i use mine just about every day. I always see recommended to use it about 3 times a week, but I feel it's been giving me better results with every day use. also use it on a clean scalp after taking a shower and your hair has just dried. This way there is no buildup on your scalp that would block some of the laser light from getting into your skin as there would be if you used it at the end of the day.

EDIT: I should also add that it definately works better for me in combination with propecia about every other day.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BeHappy, I bought the same laser as you about a week ago and have been using it every day. Its definately worth a go at that price. When you say it has been working well, have you experienced regrowth or just a generally healthier feel about the hair?

Thanks.

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

I think it is clear that the laser therapy debate will never really end unless compelling before/after photos are presented by patients (those who have no vested financial interest) who have undergone laser therapy as a stand alone hair loss treatment.

That being said - I am still not convinced that it works - but I also won't sway people away from trying it if they have their heart set on trying it.

My only recommendation is - use Propecia and Rogaine as core "meat" treatments and anything else as adjunct "gravy" treatments.

Bill

• Moderators
Originally posted by gazzasgoin2:

BeHappy, I bought the same laser as you about a week ago and have been using it every day. Its definately worth a go at that price. When you say it has been working well, have you experienced regrowth or just a generally healthier feel about the hair?

Thanks.

I'm getting new growth all over my head. I'm at about 4.5 months of use now and it's starting to get noticeable by others. I've been getting comments like "You hair looks shiny today", "Have you been losing weight?", "Are you using a new conditioner on your hair", and yes I did get one person I hardly know say "You have more hair since the last time I saw you". That made my day!

I just hope the growth continues. I'll keep using the laser brush every day along with Proscar every 2 or 3 days and Nizoral daily.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

Bill,

I'm using just what I said at the end of my post above.

1. Proscar every other day (although I've been cutting it down to every 3 days once in a while)

2. Nizoral shampoo every day

3. Laser Brush once a day, every day for between 8 to 12 minutes each time.

I've been using both Proscar and Nizoral for somewhere around 10 years. They are the only 2 things I've used in the last maybe 6 or 7 years until I started with the laser brush a few months ago. I've gotten a small amount of growth over the years with just Proscar and Nizoral, but the few that grew long were mostly very fine, thin hairs. Other hairs never got past the tiny almost invisible hair stage and would fall out quickly, but they kept regrowing back the same way.

I figured if the laser brush was able to thicken the existing thin hairs and keep the small ones in a growth phase a little longer then I'd have an overall better look. So far it's done that and more because I'm definitely getting new growth. My crown is filling in and the sides are coming forward (temple areas) Just the temple growth is making the frame of hair on my face look better. I think that's why I'm getting the "Are you losing weight?" questions.

As for pictures, I tried to take some back in the 1st month, but they didn't turn out very clear and are pretty much useless. I realy wish I tried harder at the picture taking now because they would certainly show an improvement if I took clear ones then and now. I'll try to take some good ones this week if I can. I seem to have trouble taking pics of my own hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

• 4 weeks later...

BeHappy I'm very interested in purchasing a laser comb and yours seems to be working well and with that price I was wondering which one did you get?I was thinking about the x5 hair laser but with yours being cheaper I'm reconsidering.

Also I am confused cause earlier in the post you said "EDIT: I should also add that it definately works better for me in combination with propecia about every other day."

but then later you said you use

"

1. Proscar every other day (although I've been cutting it down to every 3 days once in a while)

2. Nizoral shampoo every day

3. Laser Brush once a day, every day for between 8 to 12 minutes each time."

without mentioning propecia

• Moderators
Originally posted by johnnyg:

I am confused cause earlier in the post you said "EDIT: I should also add that it definately works better for me in combination with propecia about every other day."

but then later you said you use

"

--snip--

without mentioning propecia

Hi johnnyg

Propecia and Proscar both have the same active ingredient which is finisteride. Propecia is a 1mg finisteride pill and Proscar is a 5mg finisteride pill. Although I sometimes say Propecia I actually use Proscar cut in quarters. Many people on these forums do the same. You get the same drug at a much cheaper price. I take a 1/4 pill about every other day or so.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)