Dr. Konior

Ty

Hey all,

Anyone had a transplant done by Dr. Konior outside Chicago? Or does anyone know anything about his reputation that I can't get off his website?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Anyone had a transplant done by Dr. Konior outside Chicago? Or does anyone know anything about his reputation that I can't get off his website?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I find the previous comments to be quite interesting in light of the fact that I routinely use lateral slits in the frontal hairline and have extensive experience with the trichophytic closure technique. The concept of trichophytic closure for enhancing scar camouflage via the promotion of hair growth through a scar has been around for decades. Only recently has this concept been embraced by hair restoration surgeons in an attempt to improve results in the donor region. Many competent hair surgeons, including myself, are continuing to evaluate this technique to determine the best way to get the highest quality scar. As a teaching surgeon at a leading medical center, I have the responsibility to train several new physicians each year. Each and every one is exposed to the latest concepts in our field, including trichophytic closure and the application of lateral slit recipient site strategies. Pat, the host of this web site, has had the opportunity to personally observe the meticulous nature of my surgical technique. Hopefully, he will make a return visit sometime soon to provide you a continuing update as new strategies continue to evolve in this dynamic field. Prospective patients are welcome to visit my office to personally inspect an immediate postoperative patient so that they can see first-hand what one can expect from a procedure. Those with a medical background are invited into the operating room where they can view the procedure in its entirety. These opportunities are openly offered to facilitate patient education and to dispel unsubstantiated disparaging remarks.

• Administrators

I had the opportunity to see Dr. Konior and his staff in action this past Fall. In my opinion their work is very meticulous and highly refined. Dr. Konior took more time and care in removing the donor tissue and closing this area than almost any other surgeon I have seen. He also staying in the surgical room from start to finish.

All the Best, pat

To view my observations and photos from this visit, click here.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

dr konior i never said you did have expierence with the tri-closure since you are a plastic surgeon who does many other procedures besides hair restoration . You just told me you dont currently use in it closing the donor and thats your choice and as far as lateral slits i was aware you used them in the hairline but what ive learned from some of the top docs that one of the advantages of the lateral slit is the hair is fanned out to help create a fuller look and obviously that would take 3 and 4 hair grafts unlike the "hairline" grafts that are usually single hair, and that would defeat the purpose when it comes to the fanned out effect. Im sure you do good work but for the same amount of money and even less i personally want a doctor who does exclusively hair restoration ,all lateral slits and the triclosure. all these newer techniques made only make marginal differences but its my money my head and my decsion

• Administrators

So Tired,

I understand your desire to choose a physician who performs both the trichophytic closure and lateral slits. I agree that both of these refinements in technique can enhance hair restoration surgery.

To clarify, Dr. Konior does use the trichophytic closure technique and regularly creates graft incisions in a lateral orientation in all transplanted areas.

However, Dr. Konior, as well as many other leading surgeons, often create both lateral graft incisions (that are perpendicular to the hair normally in the transplanted area) and sagital incisions (that are parallel to the hair normally in the transplanted area incisions). These physician's decisions on how to orient the graft incisions often depends upon the particular patient and the areas being transplanted.

As you point out, one of the potential benefits of lateral slits is that the 3 and 4 hair grafts in particular are oriented so that they fan out over the scalp and thus can better mask the balding scalp. Given this advantage and others, Dr. Konior and other Coalition physicians often use lateral slits, especially when transplanting into totally bald areas.

However, when transplanting hair in and around pre-existing hairs some leading hair transplant surgeons prefer to create sagital incisions (parallel to the existing hair follicles) because they feel it minimizes the chances of transecting (severing) hair follicles when incisions are made near them.

Dr. Ron Shapiro once explained this to me by asking me to imagine a room full of people standing (i.e. representing existing hair follicles under the skin). Then he suggested picturing a wide bladed cutting through the wall and across this room perpendicular to all the people standing. Because this blade's cutting surface is sweeping wide across the room it could sever (transect) many of the people. This scenario represented a "Lateral" (perpendicular) incision or slit.

Dr. Shapiro then asked me to imagine these same people standing in the room only now the blade cuts into the room through the ceiling with the flat side of the blade parallel to the people (i.e. representing a sagital incision). With the blade orientated parallel to the people it would have a better chance of slicing through and in between these standing people (i.e. hair follicles) and thus not severing (transecting) them.

Thus many leading hair transplant surgeons do feel it is better to often use sagital incisions when going in between existing hairs and lateral incisions when there is no preexisting hairs.

Personally I think that surgeons can achieve ultra refined and minimally invasive results using either sagital or lateral incisions.

Best wishes for great results. Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

PAT thanks for the explaination. In no way was I trying to bash Dr konior I know hes well respected and does good work i know he has extensive training with the closure since he does brow lifts and other surgeries but when I asked him personally if he did it he said no plain and simple he said it has merit but its mostly hype and maybe it is, but its something that cant hurt only improve or stay the same All i kept thinking then was then why wouldnt you do it. Did he perform the closure when you were on the roadtrip Shapiro does it Dr wolf does it even though he also thinks its overhyped h&w do it feller cole so on and so on. I was really just saying for over 5 dollars a graft at his practice i would want every advancement there was performed on me, even if its "overhyped" i had a DR tell me refined follicular units were overhyped. Some doctors out there are real comfortable in doing the same thing over and over and when it comes to change they put in on the backburner until there is a demand From what i read now everyday from potential clients is the same thing that i want from a doctor ,the ability to dense pack if needed ,lateral slits and the tri-closure Dr konior said he does lateral slits in the hair line What about behind it where im bald.

I dont know about the rest of the fellas on here but $10,000 is alot of money to me I paid alot of money for bosley to butcher me i dont want to make that mistake again. Once again im not saying going to konior would be a mistake but what i an saying is that all you thousands of knowledgeable posters have schooled me and have shown me a light that has reenergized me and given me hope,and im going with a doctor that produces the best consistent results and so far those doctors are the ones performing ALL the the things i mentioned above Crazy as this seems these forums are one of the greatest thing to happen for me in a long long time If i piss some people off speaking my mind as long as its the truth i dont care, because ive been pissed off for a long time on top of looking silly .Its not enough anymore to only be one step above the incompetent hair quacks i will only give my hard earned money to the best doctor out there

• Administrators

So tired,

I do agree that good is not good enough when it comes to life long results. There are physicians and clinics that strive to incorporate the most advanced patient friendly techniques, which often involve more work for them, and then there are the clinics that are content to be pare for the course. I consider Dr. Konior (who has traveled to attend all three of the last three Coalition live surgical workshops) to be on of the minority of hair transplant surgeons who is always pushing to be on the cutting edge.

Frankly, most patients who don't do their research, unlike you and others online, don't know the difference and thus don't require it from their clinic. Therefore many clinics do not feel compelled to provide ultra refined results using very small minimally invasive incisions, dense packing (when appropriate), large sessions (when appropriate), all microscopic disection of grafts etc.

But some clinics who are highly visible online are committed to working with patients who are educated and thus demanding and who may be posting their surgical experiences the next day on this forum (including what they had for lunch).

These clinics are committed to operating in the transparent environment of the Internet, which holds them publically accountable. I commend them for operating in such an honest and some times tough atmosphere.

Dr. Konior and the other members of the Coalition are committed to not only performing hair transplantation at the highest level (far above "good enough") and also to be held accountable on this forum for all their work.

Nobody how knows better wants "good enough". That's why it is important for us to hold clinics to the very highest standards.

So Tired, you do deserve the best for your hard earned money and for the grief you've put up with. I hope that who ever you ultimately choose will give you outstanding results.

All the best, Pat

P.S. So Tired, I understand your concern about a clinic being dedicated exclusively to hair transplant surgery to assure true excellence. I agree that a clinic needs to be focused on hair restoration surgery to develop the staff and skill to be at the top. The vast majority of Dr. Konior's practice is hair restoration surgery and I know he and his staff are well over the thresh hold needed to be very up to speed on hair transplantation.

My Hair Loss Blog

thanks pat I may sound a little bitter and thats because I am I lost my wife Ive been living under a hat I lost my social life and its all because i believed a stranger or a commercial Once again I want to say i saw alot of pitures at dr koniors office and they were all pretty damn good hes head and shoulders above any other dr here in illinois I Only responded to tys post and then it took off from there It just kind of pissed me off to read the Dr say how mush expierence he has with the tri-closure and just left it at that Most people would just assume that means he incorporates it in the donor closure Like i said before he told me he doesnt, thats all. I just got one last question for you did he use the tri-closure when you were on the roadtrip you dont have to answer because i already know Im not the smartest guy around but i am a straight shooter and thats all i ask from my doctor

• Administrators

So Tired,

I did speak with Dr. Konior a couple of days ago to get clarification regarding his use of lateral slits and the trichophytic closure.

He told me that he does now use the trichophytic closure when closing the donor area. He also uses lateral slits in the hairline area, mid scalp and crown. However, when the areas that are being transplanted into have a good deal existing hair he will often use sagital incisions for the reasons stated in my above post (i.e. to minimize transection of these existing folicles).

I'm sorry about your personal set backs. I hope that your circumstances and outlook improve.

All the best, Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Pat your a dedicated man to this site and if no one has ever thanked you, well i do. its unbelievable the transformation ive made for the bad with a bogus transplant. Its hard to trust any Dr. the funny thing about all this is my situation isnt even half as bad as the majority of repair patients and i fell so damn hurt for them. well im through with this subject. Thanks again Pat. Also congratulations to Dr konior for making that change. From every other thing i saw, combined with this is just great to hear.

So tired, I saw that you ask about the lateral slit method on the other forum. Pat provided a very good explanation of it's advantages along with the reason for doing sagital slits.

I'm slowly starting to understand more and more about the lateral slits (I'm pretty dense). Lateral slits provide 3 things that I can see. 1) The hair is at a closer angle to the scalp, thus "laying down". Hair that is laying down gives the appearce of better coverage. 2) Denser packing is possible due to reasons previously discussed. 3) Multi-haired grafts can be splayed in a way that gives a better illusion of density. Well, I should mention a 4th - they are less intrusive because they simply don't go as deep (because they are at an angle).

I am however still struggling with one thing. In areas where there is existing hair, that might not be at a lateral angle, the lateral slits would not match up, right? Wouldn't this affect the naturalness of it - at least upon close inspection? Maybe the idea is to cram so many densly packed grafts in there that it really would never be noticed. Hey, if it works...

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

gorpy I think what it all boils down to is pack the shit out of the scalp at least twice and that will make up for loss due to transection and hairs angled at different directions. I know jotronic says and believes doing all lateral slits even with existing hair is the only way to go as long as you shave the hair since then there will be zero transection, is a bit overboard .i mean hell, when your doing a 4000 graft session your telling me there wont even be accidental transection.Even our creator didnt get this hair thing right do think Dr wong can, as good as he is. My point to all this is which way is best,all lateral or a combination when it comes to transection.I mean if one way you accidedntly transect 200 previous grafts and the other 600 that a difference of 400 or $2000 dollars and worse yet permanent hair. I dont think anybody truly knows .I think its one of those there no complete way to avoid transection just be happy you have hair. i just wish i knew what were the percentages between the two because i dont like paying for things twice, like chopping down a tree just to replace it with another one. Ill tell you one thing once i find the right doctor and complete all this with satisfation boy do I have a story to tell including how hairloss landed me in prison. You think jotronic girl tech and shane do alot of ass kissing for their doctor you havent seen nothing yet

so tired,

I don't think transection amongst top doctors is as common as you think. You should be expecting nearly 100% growth rate from your HT which effictively means that minimal grafts (if any) will be lost because of transection. I believe going to a top doctor is important for a high yield as they use small custom blades, high magnification and the appropriate incision for the appropriate location.

But yeah I wouldnt worry about it too much as all you can do is to chose the best doc and sit dead still when they are making the incisions icon_smile.gif

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

jake well i dont think we will ever know because whos gonna count hairs before and after. i just believe alot of what drs call permanent shockloss is actually transection but thats just my opinion .Im seriously considering Shapiro since i live in Illinois Are you happy with your results I have 3 friends waiting on me to find us the right doctor

Great subject, not enough information.

Gorpy, you're right on with your continued education regarding lateral slits. There's more to it but you'll get it soon enough.

In areas where there is existing hair, that might not be at a lateral angle, the lateral slits would not match up, right? Wouldn't this affect the naturalness of it - at least upon close inspection?

You're confusing the issue here. There is no "lateral angle" for existing native hair. The term does not apply. "Lateral" refers to the DIRECTION that the incision is made with regards to the DIRECTION of growth for the native hair. Remember, it is all dependent on the EXISTING direction of the hair. If your hair on top flows in a direction toward the forehead (most likely) then the incisions are made in a lateral fashion to said direction. You can also replace the word "lateral" with "perpendicular".

Regarding angles, if your native hair stands more vertical relative to your scalp then incisions can be made to match the same angle. Simple. It's all about matching the angle AND direction of EXISTING hair. Angle and direction are not synonymous but both are precisely controlled via lateral slits with custom cut blades.

sotired,

You happy now? You've got me posting twice on the same subject (albeit on differnt forums). Just ribbing you. Happy to do so.

You need to take a moment to look at the merits of the lateral slit technique and filter out what's been said so far then put the pieces together. I can sense it in your noggin now, the wheels are turning and a light bulb is about to turn onicon_smile.gif

Larger grafts via this technique are fanned out giving better coverage, graft for graft, than if performed in a sagittal fashion. Better overall coverage is achieved thereby giving the "illusion" (I hate that word but it's necessary) of better density, again, graft for graft. Remember, coverage is not an illusion but density can be.

To take your analogy of a 4000 graft session, what do you think would be best? Shave or not shave? I simply don't see that there can be an argument stating that it's just as easy to see precise angle and direction of native hair at two inches as it is at 2 millimeters. Can you? Forget the angle and direction issue even. Just the mere difference in length should be enough for anyone to realize that a better job can be done if you have the opportunity to see the existing hair as clearly as can be. THEN add to the mix that the true angle and direction is revealed and the answer has now materialized.

The doc can see better. The techs can see better (big factor), the angles are revealed, the direction is revealed thus reducing the chance of transection to nil. The only case where transection may be an issue is if a patient comes in with original density in the recipient area thereby not being in need of a hair transplant in the first place.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

JOTRONIC THIS IS WHY YOU GET PAID THE BIG BUCKS .SERIOUSLY THOUGH ,IT DOES MAKE SENSE AND IM STARTING TO LET MY GAURD DOWN AND BELIEVE. ONCE YOUVE BEEN RAPED BY A DOCTOR ITS HARD TO TRUST ANY.I MIGHT ASK QUESTIONS AND MAKE COMMENTS THAT ARE RIDICULOUS OR PISS PEOPLE OFF OR ACTUALLY HAVE MERIT BUT IF THAT WANT I FEEL I HAVE TO DO TOGET THE BEST RESULT THEN SO BE IT GO WHITE SOX

Regarding angles, if your native hair stands more vertical relative to your scalp then incisions can be made to match the same angle. Simple.

Thanks Joe. I understand what you mean by angle and direction, but if the incision is made more vertical, isn't that then called a sagital incision? Most doctors, including mine use the same type of custom cut flat blades. Yet, they claim to do both lateral and sagital incisions.

OR... are we going back to what I originally thought that lateral slits were ear to ear (at least when on the top of the head) and satital are back to front slits??? Too bad this is so hard to describe in writing. A doctor could show me this in about 2 secons and I would understand it.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Gorpy,

You're not going to make this easy for me, are ya? Kidding. I'll try to put together a graph to illustrate better what I'm saying. I think I did at one point in the past but I'm not sure where it is off the top of my head. So many posts, so many files, not enough brain cells.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Sorry Joe,

I did just read something that Dr. Hasson was explaining with pictures. In general, since most people's hair on top flows towards the forehead, it is safe to say that the "slit" would be in the "ear to ear" direction in that area, because that is perpendicular to the hair flow. I think that is a correct statement, right?

But one other thing (sorry) - that only seems to help with multi haired grafts. Single haired grafts don't reap the same benifit with a lateral incision. They still however reap the other benifits discussed.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Originally posted by so tired:

jake well i dont think we will ever know because whos gonna count hairs before and after. i just believe alot of what drs call permanent shockloss is actually transection but thats just my opinion .Im seriously considering Shapiro since i live in Illinois Are you happy with your results I have 3 friends waiting on me to find us the right doctor

Well I'm very happy with my experience with SMG. Apart from being one of the worlds best, Ron really has your long term interests at heart and will let you know what can be achived with your limited donor now and in the future. Im only 2 months out so I can only see some peach fuzz which doesn't really make a cosmetic difference at the moment. I am using Minioxidil and MSM to speed up growth so your mileage will vary at the 2 month mark. But I was happy with my hairline immediately post-op so if it all comes through like its supposed to I stand to be one happy kid in the future!!!

My recipient area lost its redness within the first week and I didn't experience any shockloss that I can tell, though most of transplanted hairs did shed (around 85-90% I believe) by the 3 week mark.

As for the donor, I had to use dermatch for the first couple of weeks after my HT because my donor hair was short and so couldnt conceal the shaved area on its own. At this time my donor scar is completely flat and is very hard to locate by touch. I just had my first haircut yesterday since my HT and even though my donor is shorter than when I had a HT, you cannot see the donor scar which im pretty happy about.

Other side effects after the HT were that my recipient area was a little numb after my HT but is now almost back to normal. Also for about 1 1/2 months I could feel tightness in the donor area when sleeping on it, though that has pretty much gone now aswell. I will still be careful about not lifting heavy weights and avoid doing anything that can stretch the scar (like crunches, etc) for another month or so.

Overall I had a positive experience at SMG I believe my surgery was world class and am happy I took the flight over from the UK rather than settling with a doctor here. I took the advice from the forums and went to who I thought the best doctor in the world for me, regardles of location. If you live close I would definately add them to your list of consulting doctors.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006