How painfull is .................

Originally posted by Mikeb921:

this procedure as some know I am having it done this coming Wednesday and I have never asked how much it actually hurts?

Not painful at all, imo. I'm 3 weeks out, and I slept (and snored) through most of it. The most painful to me was day 12, as having something foreign in my head was driving me nuts!

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Mike -

Assuming Dr. Hasson is like Dr. Wong (my Ht Doc)..........it there wasn't much pain at all. The tool they used for numbing was a vibrating instrument they ran across the donor and recipient sites. It felt like several little pin pricks which i didn't consider painful at all.

Totally unlike my 1st HT where they shoved a very long needle under my skin and I still felt things a little.

Just sit back in the chair and relax, you'll be in the best of hands. I know when I was in for HT #2 I couldn't stop smiling from thinking of all those hairs that would be sprouting soon icon_wink.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

On a 1-10 pain scale:

Injections (2)

Surgery (0)

Post-op pains (1)

Staple removal (2-3)

I would say there is more discomfort sitting in a chair for 8-12 hours and sleeping the next few nights is tough because of the staples. The toughest part is waiting for the damn hair to grow.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Mike,

Great question and you have been given many great answers.

Keep in mind that pain tolerances are different. Most people will agree that it's no walk in the park however, very few people I've talked to say it's overly painful.

In my experience, the worst part was the local anesthetic injections. I needed to have them reapplied every so often as they would wear off due to my high metabolism. But though you will hear noises and feel pressure, the rest of the experience is pain free. Just do yourself a favor and be honest - if you feel something, tell the physician or technicians.

Cheers,

Bill

I'm with mrkneed..I feel if I have a ht I will get all worked up and faint. I'm not real good with needles and blood and from what I hear the strip removal makes some weird noises. I guess laying face down you would have less of a chance of fainting. Definitely something I will worry about!!

Originally posted by NJ:

I'm with mrkneed..I feel if I have a ht I will get all worked up and faint. I'm not real good with needles and blood and from what I hear the strip removal makes some weird noises. I guess laying face down you would have less of a chance of fainting. Definitely something I will worry about!!

You could take some earplugs..... I don't have the best hearing (rock music from the 80's) but I didn't notice the sound too much. It seems like I could feel like it was being sewn up before I knew it was done. Nevertheless, it's all worth it I think and hope.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Pain is pretty much a non-issue with the surgery (apart from those "bee-stings"). During the operation you will not feel much at all. In the following day and/or weeks you may feel some mild discomfort (or itchiness) in the donor and recipient areas. I would not call it "pain" though.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Intra-op pain is really non-existent, and you just have to contend with the initial numbing shots; which are pretty annoying "stings", but you may very well be so excited in general that you will get through it without much thought.

Post-op pain.....personally, once my initial painkillers wore off from the surgery, I felt some moderate+ pain for about 1.5hours that night.....it definitely hurt, but between finding a good movie to watch and just the general excitement -- and exhaustion -- from the day's preceedings it coulda been a lot worse.

Other than those two, pretty shortlived instances of mild to moderate pain, there were no issues. As others have mentioned, the last hour or two in the operating room was the most arduous, and I am *very* happy I got a massage the night before!

I would rate the pain, though, in the spirit of HairThere:

Shots -- 3

Surgery -- 0

Post-Op -- 0, except for that night which I'd give a 6

Staple Removal -- .25

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!