How long to give meds before getting HT?

I was told by my doctor at least 6 months is the minimum requirement. I have been on Propecia for 2 years although I can't say it has helped in anything other than obliterating my hair line. Just be prepared for some shedding to follow in the upcoming weeks as the dying hairs bow out.

I'd recommend waiting 12 or more months, if ya can hold out. As a new user to going both pro and ro your results might be quite surprising -- in a good way, and change both your own opinion and your prospective doctor's on your prognosis!

Plus, it is best to stabalize your hairs as much as possible to prevent shockloss....going to an elite HT practice is another prevention.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

NG2GB,

No my hairline is pretty sparse now but it was on the way out regardless. Propecia just accelerated the process. As far as how much I lost, it would be hard to quantify, but there is no real starting point on the hairline as it is all thin and jagged like.

that sucks. I knew that a ht can cause those hairs which are on their way out to "bow out early" as you say, but I didn't know that propecia causes this too.

the hairs that bowed out early: were they basically cosmetically insignificant anyway? I mean, you weren't styling the $hit out of them and then lost them all due to propecia right?

has the rest of your hair thickened/felt stronger as a result of propecia?

anybody: is this common to lose some hairs PERMANENTLY from propecia?...

I've heard a decent amount of anecdotal evidence (for whatever that is worth) where rogaine (either foam or liquid) brought about and destroyed hairlines, as well.

I'd like a more "official" opinion on whether fin and rogaine can actually put hairs to sleep w/o reviving them.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

thanatopsis,

If there are official reports on this, I'd like to hear about it too. I imagine however, that these rumors have started because of the initial hair shedding that can occur with either hair loss drug.

I have seen quite the opposite however, the evidence in some patients (especially diffuse thinners), where use of Propecia and Rogaine combined has thickened the hair in the hair line and all over the balding regions.

Bill

Hmmm, ya, shedding and natural, inevitable hair loss seems most likely....I scoured the web some last night and could't find anything other than anecdotal evidence that either treatment can have that effect.

Good to know that a rogaine-propecia combo can work especially well in diffuse thinners, even on the hairline! Riding the wave of sheds is crucial, even though they can get pretty rattling....

-----------

Kingsley,

I personally think 6 months to a year is ideal time to give meds a try. Of course not everyone wants to wait half a year or more. We recently had a patient cancel his surgery date for end of January because the effects of propecia and rogaine has worked so well after 4.5 months. It's nice to give min. of 3 months, but longer if you can. Good luck!

i have my appointment in 2,5 month, not being on propecia now.

i will do the ht in march, not able to wait longer but i want to start with propecia, what do you recommend to start with propecia?

Now, so 2,5 month before Ht?

One month before the HT?

Or wait until the appointment day or a few days before, or after the ht?

Hmmm, my first thought was to wait till after, but I'm curious as to others' opinions.

Getting on propecia now, or any time pre-HT at this point, I don't think would aid you in any way regarding the procedure (strenghtening of hairs, minimizing shockloss); however, it could cause shedding, which while I don't think would effect you in a really averse way, might not be ideal.

I wouldn't think it to be a big deal either way, though.

-----------

I've heard some contradicting things about propecia being a huge thing to have before a HT to mitigate shockloss; but, I've always been under the assumption that it takes some time either way before propecia would have any chance of making any appreciable impact via the strengthening of your follicles (i.e. longer than 4weeks).

Who is your doctor, btw? I would prolly side w/ him unless someone presents damning proof otherwise.

-----------

nw2,

You've been given some great advice so far from our veteran members.

It really depends on each patient's individual circumstances.

If you are having hair translanted in completely bald areas, starting Propecia before your hair transplant isn't all that necessary. If hair is being transplanted into areas with existing natural hair, I'd suggest using Propecia for at least 6 months to a year to see if it has any benefit for you.

Click here to see a Propecia and Rogaine patient 1 year after they started using them. Though these results aren't typical, they are possible. Thanks to Janna from Shapiro Medical Group for contributing this data.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by nw2:

but i talked with a ht doc and he thinks, if i use it 1 month before, i will be awared of shock loss, what do you think??

SMG generally favors getting on propecia and rogaine as soon as possible. I've never heard our doctors advise patients to wait AFTER surgery.

NW2,

I know some people report back that they experienced shock loss when first trying propecia. This does not seem to happen for everyone, at least not to my knowledge. Our clinic believes a patient can start on propecia at any time if they want to. But, if you have reservations about starting due to shockloss and shedding, you can wait until after surgery to avoid unnecessary stress. In the grand scheme of things, one month & ?? is not going to be much of a factor.

I feel that it is extremely important to use rogain and propecia for atleast one year before any hair transplant, deal with the shed it is a good sign. Look at it like this if you have MPB depending on the degree your kinda screwed, if you do nothing its gonna get thinner and thinner, a HT should be the last option taken. The meds work for some people and the cost isnt that much plus a year isnt that long of a time to try these meds. If it atleast halts your hairloss, then go for the HT. As Janna stated I cancelled my HT because I saw my hair getting thicker and less fall out and I am seeing less scalp. I also went thru the shedding it sucks but dont give up, try them for a year. Good luck, Jeff

so you recommend it because propecia could work for me instead the transplant at the moment.

but i have paid 20% deposit and i don?‚??t want to wait longer. it?‚??s only in the temples. i will start with fin latest on the ht day.

i don?‚??t think the hair will grow back in the temple area, where i want the ht. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by nw2:

so you recommend it because propecia could work for me instead the transplant at the moment.

but i have paid 20% deposit and i don?‚??t want to wait longer. it?‚??s only in the temples. i will start with fin latest on the ht day.

i don?‚??t think the hair will grow back in the temple area, where i want the ht. icon_smile.gif

i can?‚??t use rogaine because i have a sensitive skin.

but thanks for your reply jfo! icon_smile.gif