NBC's TODAY Show reporting on Hair Growth Treatments

DrBauman

For those of us on the 'front-line' in the battle against hair loss, it was with great excitement that we learned of the recent FDA-clearance of a hand-held laser for the treatment of hair loss. Having used laser therapy in my hair restoration practice since 1999, alone as well as with other FDA-approved therapies (like Propecia and Rogaine) and hair transplantation, the clearance did not come as a surprise. However, the FDA-clearance of the first hand-held laser (and others not far behind) for hair growth should add significant confidence to those who may have been skeptical of this non-chemical, non-invasive therapy's ability to promote hair growth.

In the wake of the FDA-clearance, Bauman Medical was contacted by NBC's TODAY Show's Janice Lieberman, who was reporting on the medical hair-growth treatments and procedures used by hair restoration physicians to slow, stop and reverse hereditary hair loss.

I invite you to tune in to see Janice's interviews with our patients, which took place at the Bauman Medical Group's newly-expanded facility for Laser Therapy and Hair Transplantation in Boca Raton, Florida. The segment is due to air Thursday morning, March 15th, at 8am on NBC's TODAY Show. For more detailed information on the treatments and procedures used to help protect, enhance and restore hair, visit www.baumanmedical.com. I've also got some photos of the NBC visit on my flickr.com account. They interviewed more than a few paitients. I have heard from the producer that there is not time for all of the interviews. We'll all have to tune in to see which patients 'made the final cut.'

Sincerely,

Dr. B.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

http://www.baumanmedical.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Bauman, this is exciting to hear. I searched youtube to see if this episode is up (had is even been broadcast yet?) I did, however, find this episode you did on ABC, including discussion about the laser gadget:

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Bauman,

Thanks for the video. One of the better hair transplantation videos I've seen in mainstream for certain. It doesn't get into the gorey details of the surgery process, but it does paint a realistic picture unlike many infomercials for certain hairmills we all love to hate so well :P

Not a lot of information about the laser therapy on it's own...however, I'm interested in doing some more research on it at some point. I don't know if I'll ever try it having 3 hair transplants already...but who knows!

Bill

Hi Dr Bauman

Personally, I am not a big believer of the lasercomb& the claims. Do you have any documented photo's of before and after with significant progress. Obviously, there needs to be an avoiddance for extraineous varibles such as Propecia or Rogaine..

Thanks so much

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Today previously had a series of stories on hairloss and solutions last summer or maybe two summers ago. Dr. Bernstein and one of his patients were featured. They also had a segment with a hairsystem client from HCM.

Was it just a coincidence that Matt Lauer was the host for the series?

Phil

Mrjb,

Though I'm mostly with you, the fact that FDA approved it to me does say something. Now people may dismiss FDA, however, if that's the case, than why do we advocate finasteride and minoxodil? The truth is, that very rarely do these two medications produce significant regrowth results, though regrowth can occur sometimes.

Anyway...I'm willing to keep an open mind...but I want to (when I have more time) spend some more time researching laser technology. I don't know that I'll ever use it myself at this point...but I know it gives a new hope (especially to women) since they can't use finasteride.

My best guess at this point is that it probably is in similar effectiveness to minoxidil since it stimulates growth by increasing the blood supply to the scalp.

Bill

Thanks Bill

I can just see 5 years from now a big shift in credibility with this item. Just seems to fishy. I'm sticking with the BIG 3

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Moderators

I think this might be a decent option for someone like myself who can't use minoxidil. Even the old 2% (I think that was the amount when it first came out) used to make my heart beat fast and made my entire body have a swollen, puffy look and feel. The laser comb is a few hundred dollars, but it's a one time charge and you're not using any drugs.

Also in another thread there was a link to a laser hair treatment center that was bashed for not working at all. But you have to realize that those people were going once a month for treatment as opposed to 3 to 4 days a week if you use the comb. That's like saying minoxidil or propecia don't work because people who used them once or twice a month for a year still lost hair. Everyone here knows that's not going to work, however you all know that using them daily does work in many people, so I think you have to keep that in mind.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Personally, I am not a big believer of the lasercomb& the claims. Do you have any documented photo's...

Actually, I have plenty of photos. In my practice, I've used laser therapy since 1999--hand-helds and in-office units... Sometimes in conjunction with other therapies but many times without other treatments (just pure laser). But today, most patients in my practice are using at least two of the three fda-cleared therapies.

Laser's greatest benefit is not the increase in density (which is what the fda looked at for proof), but the incredible increase in the quality of the hair growth you get.

Also, I believe that the increase in blood circulation is a consequence of the hair growth, not the other way around.

Here's a patient photo from my recent Laser Therapy lecture at the ISHRS conference in March:

laserbrush_6mos_2

The FDA documents are pretty clear about their position on laser therapy (promoting hair growth, etc.). The 510(k) also summarizes the clinical trials that were submitted. If you haven't seen the document, here it is:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf6/K060305.pdf

Laser is just another new tool. It is now up to us docs to figure out how to use it, who will benefit the most?, etc. A lot more research is needed.

It is normal and natural for docs and patients to be skeptical--in the beginning, I was the biggest skeptic. The last thing we need in the industry is another 'snake oil' therapy.

For those that don't remember, when the FDA approved Propecia in 1997, less than 5% of physicians in the ISHRS prescribed it initially. We already had 10% of ISHRS members recommending laser therapy "OFTEN," back in 2005--before the FDA-clearance. Check page 27 of the census survey: http://www.ishrs.org/PDF/ISHRS2005PracticeCensusReportFINAL10.23.05.pdf

My gut feeling is that the more hair you have, the better results you'll see with the laser. It is not really all that different than finasteride and minoxidil in that way.

-Dr. B.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

Thanks Dr. B

I hope it works for the people who use it as it will just provide some more ammo in our fight against hairloss.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Amen Orion. i'm with you

As much as I want it to work, I cannot bring myself to "endorse" it

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Orion:

Laser treatment and/or the laser comb has been out for a while. I just think that if it did produce desired "significant" results you would of heard of it by now. Improved circulation to the scalp is no match for genetics.

As I mentioned previously, the results take time and are typically most noticeable in the areas where the thinning is actively occurring (i.e. NOT the bald areas). Also, previously mentioned, I DON'T think its a ciruculation issue. The research points more toward cellular ATP production in the mitochondria. For more info on laser therapy mechanisms, buy the textbook: http://www.amazon.com/Science-Low-Power-Laser-Therapy/dp/9056991086 by Tiina Karu--she's responsible for a large portion of the research into how lasers affect cellular metabolism.

--Dr. B.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

I personally like how it states how the woman in this case scenerio didn't use Propecia (God I hope not since it's not recommended for women) :P

laserbrush_6mos_2

This of course is ashame but seems to be true with Finasteride and Minoxodil as well

My gut feeling is that the more hair you have, the better results you'll see with the laser. It is not really all that different than finasteride and minoxidil in that way.

This goes to show that none of these are close to being CURES for baldness...only to be used as tools to help glorify your existing hair with the potential to regrow some new hairs. But completely bald areas rarely experience new growth at all, and if they do, very little.

But I think laser therapy is worth looking into ESPECIALLY for those who cannot use finasteride or minoxodil.

BUT ALSO from what I can see, it's also the most TIME CONSUMING process out of the 3 FDA approved treatments.

So my question is...and this may not be known yet...but:

1. What is the most recommended laser therapy device?

2. How much is it (cost)?

3. How often should it be used for optimal treatment? (and please don't say the more the better :P).

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Bauman,

I've just started trying to do more research on laser therapy because some are buying into it and some are not. As for me, I like to do extensive research before I buy into anything. I admit, I have NEVER spent any time until now researching it. That being said, I'd like your feedback on this thread.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154259

Additionally, the PDF document that you posted above claims "The clinical data demonstrates that the lasercomb is effective in PROMOTING hair growth and does not present any safety issues"

Is promoting hair growth really the same as growing new hair? It does appear that according to this document that the existing hair may thicken, but what about regrowing new hair?

Penny for your thoughts.

Bill

Is promoting hair growth really the same as growing new hair? It does appear that according to this document that the existing hair may thicken, but what about regrowing new hair?

I think we can all agree that medications like propecia/finasteride and minoxidil only work on follicles that are still alive, right? Meaning, both minoxidil and propecia DO NOT create new density, they simply reverse the miniaturization resulting from MPB. (All of us who treat or suffer from hair loss know that a hair does you no good if you can't see it.)

When you read the literature on minox or fin, the increased density over time is actually increased TERMINAL hair density. That means that the intermediate, 'indeterminate,' vellous or near-vellous hairs were not counted.

Over the years, I got a few calls from David Michaels (LaserComb/Lexington, Intl) regarding 'terminal hair' and its definition, so I'm assuming that this was an important issue for the FDA. In the Lexington 510(k), under "Performance Data" it specifically says:

"Subjects in the LaserComb treatment group had significantly greater increases in mean terminal hair density than subjects in the placebo group."

I can tell you from personally seeing several of the photos from the study that this is true. There was a reversal of miniaturization of hair on the microscopic photos. Also, when the lasercomb data was presented in Orlando this Spring, it was all about the increases in TERMINAL HAIR density.

(This would also explain why clinically laser works better on those patients who have more hair.) Hopefully, they'll publish the data in a peer-reviewed journal, so we can all dissect it!

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

Hi Dr. Bauman

Thanks for the info. My issue is there are other credable docs as yourself who disagree with Laser therapy, citing it is a farce.. I realize that this is par for the course in many industries. Is there any explanation for this difference of opinions among top doctors?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

excellent device the laser comb.....excellent as another means of desperate men wanting to believe something will help the one of the most devastating things they will ever go through, "baldness." Thanks to updated fashion, another great device is providing better results than the laser comb. That would be the razor. A "skin-head" will do just fine in this day and age. If not use a quality surgeon (hasson) and weather the time and 30K, and have a nice decent head of hair.

Enough with this nonsense. The Laser Comb is just plain silly.

I've endured the surgeries with Dr. Keene. She never "billed me" for laser treatments and simply smirked when asked about it. I have no bald spots anymore. I have no detectable signs of hair transplantation. My hair is not as thick as when I was 17, but it can do most hairstyles.

They should call it the "laser comb over." It will make what little hair you have appear thicker to better cover up the spots where theres no hair. C'mon guys. You wouldn't buy insurance that "might" cover you. Throw this device in the garbage and save the board from becoming an infomercial. Some of you guys here are being so diplomatic. But you probably have no patience in your life for others that want to sell you iffy products. Why mess with this. Many here know that this BALDNESS thing affected your life on every level from social to economoic. We know enough now to JUST SAY NO. Open -mindedness should not be open-pocketness.

I will return to my exile. Don't want to disturb any paying doctors here. Just needed to save my tongue from being bitten off completely.

Thank you to all the great doctors here that get real results.

Bezane,

I agree with your take on this, your straight talk is welcome and just the truth some guys need to save them from going broke chasing the dream! This laser stuff is no match for genetics. HT is the best option.

NoBuzz

nobuzz and everyone,

Though I'm certainly NOT convinced that the lasercomb will do anything to combat hairloss, I don't want to rule it out as a POSSIBILITY if there are credible doctors like Dr. Bauman that state that it could have some merit. BUT, personally, I wo'nt recommend it until I see research and evidence that it really works.

Whereas HT is certainly the only guaranteed option of re-establishing some hair on the top of our heads, certainly if we stated that this was the ONLY option, we'd have to rule out finasteride and minoxodil as well.

Certainly you won't find me advocating the lasercomb ANYWHERE, but I'm open to the research as it comes. Whereas Dr. Feller (one of the esteemed doctors that disregards that laser technology does anything to stimulate growth) may disagree with Dr. Bauman, he does admit and state that Dr. Bauman is an esteemed collegue and holds him in high respect.

That being said, I am open to the research...but until I can be convinced that it really has some merit, I certainly won't be recommending it. I think our motto in this field so-to-speak, has to be "unknown until proven that it works". Being skeptical is very valid, especially since there are many scams out there...I myself have tried many of them before I really started researching at about 26 years of age.

It WOULD be nice if the laser comb or any laser technology had some validity...but right now, to me, it is a big unknown. THOUGH, it does bother me that since I've been around on the forums, I haven't really seen one person validate any claims of it working for them and laser technology HAS been around for years. So in my eyes, it doesn't look good...but I'd still like to see more research.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

...personally, I wo'nt recommend it until I see research and evidence that it really works.

..I'd still like to see more research, some validity. Right now... it is a big unknown.

Bill

Bill, I wouldn't disagree that laser therapy requires more resarch. The catalog of 3000 papers is just scratching the surface of how low level laser therapy affects cell-metabolism and living organisms. (Most of the papers can be found at www.laser.nu) Of course, with hair loss, there are very few studies.

It is important to remember that it took YEARS before propecia was recommended more than "rarely" in the field of hair restoration--even after the research and FDA approval. However, not many would admit to 'sneering' at Propecia back then... and how long it took them to feel comfortable recommending the treatment.

Also, I would NEVER advocate the lasercomb as being the end-all be-all... especially with so many new medical-device versions that are coming to market. There are literally dozens of laser devices that are now available, in-office and home units--each with their own pros and cons. Keep in mind that only a very small handful of patients are here in the htn forums--so sometimes we can get a distorted view...

For those looking for a '3rd party testimonial' of a laser patient, here's a laser-related article for you from a South Florida paper: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/accent/epap...04/14/0414laser.html April is a patient of mine who had a good result using only pure laser therapy. The reporter first visited my office in 2002, about two and a half years after I started using laser therapy.

The conclusions from initial research is quite clear. I would once again encourage anyone interested to READ what the FDA has published.http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf6/K060305.pdf The increase in terminal hair density was statistically significant. I would argue that this document makes laser therapy a little less of 'a big unknown.' Does it not?

Dr. B.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

Originally posted by Bill:

nobuzz and everyone,

BUT, personally, I wo'nt recommend it until I see research and evidence that it really works.

Certainly you won't find me advocating the lasercomb ANYWHERE, but I'm open to the research as it comes.

That being said, I am open to the research...but until I can be convinced that it really has some merit, I certainly won't be recommending it. I think our motto in this field so-to-speak, has to be "unknown until proven that it works". Being skeptical is very valid, especially since there are many scams out there...I myself have tried many of them before I really started researching at about 26 years of age.

It WOULD be nice if the laser comb or any laser technology had some validity...but right now, to me, it is a big unknown. THOUGH, it does bother me that since I've been around on the forums, I haven't really seen one person validate any claims of it working for them and laser technology HAS been around for years. So in my eyes, it doesn't look good...but I'd still like to see more research.

Bill

Bill, I agree that it would be nice to see research and photos of real patient results (who are not also on Fin and Minox).

The big problem is that the FDA approval of this "unknown" is going to be all the research and proof many gullible patients will need to fork out their hard earned dollars on. The cat is out of the bag.

For the patients who fall for this I hope they get their money's worth - but, I doubt they will.

Can we hear from some of you who have tried this product with or without success?

I predict laser cheerleading plants will start showing up here more often. A little skeptisism is prudent here. Bill, glad you will not be recommending this yet my open-minded friend! icon_smile.gif

NoBuzz

Dr. Bauman,

Thank you for your continually providing information for us regarding laser therapy. I would admit that the initial research according to that document does show promise...but I'm trying to combine this information with the information posted by JoTronic regarding 510K approval processes. So if you will, I"m still "combing" (pun intended :P) through the data to make sense of it all. What I've concluded at this point based on what I've read is simple: more data is needed in order for me to make a proper decision about whether any type of laser therapy should be recommended as an OPTION to fight against hairloss. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. So whereas you won't hear me "snearing" at laser therapy like many do, you certainly won't hear me advocate it until I do see more proof and real results from people using it.

But this creates a dilemma....how do we really know if it works if there aren't people out there using it to report back their results? Yet at the same time, I wouldn't want to recommend people go out there and do it with the hopes that it WILL work, because it's a lot of money to blow if not.

So I remain on the fence until I see clear evidence without any ambiguity. It's also the same reason why I don't typically recommend certain doctors...they may or may not be excellent...but if I haven't seen enough work done by them (before/after photos posted by the clinic AND real patients), I won't be comfortable making a personal recommendation. What others do and how they handle it, of course, is up to them. I'm one voice on the forum icon_wink.gif

So in conclusion Dr. Bauman...I'd appreciate hearing about any clinical findings that either support or deny the performance of laser therapy as related to hairloss.

Nobuzz,

I agree with everything you are saying 100%. I think we need a level of skeptisism because of all the false marketing tactics out there. We MUST be the voice of reason on this forum that help paint the reality picture for seeking patients rather than provide false dreams. I've been down that road far too many times...and I lost a lot of ground on wasted miracle formulas.

Well, as we know, "cheerleaders" can be easily spotted. There is no need to post generalities about how awesome laser therapy is...we want before/after pictures and detailed regimes to support the claim. I imagine, even so, a certain level of skeptisicm must be kept until we see something relatively consistent.

Bill

Seriously guys.....this forum I thought would continue to steer people away from being misled. It's nice to make nice with a Doctor, I guess, but why on this subject? Where's the results, pictures, volumes of success. And further more where's the disclosure? Why would a doctor post on message board? For the good of all mankind?

THE LASER COMB DOESN'T WORK. IT SUCKS. THE FDA HAS A LONG TRACK RECORD OF APPROVING IFFY PRODUCTS.

I understand this community is doing well, but entertaining this kind of crap in a civil way just keeps the door open to everything bad about the industry. The board used to slam scams and butchers. Now we're more sensitive. Buyer beware.