Avodart vs Propecia

Stevo32

Hi All,

I have read a couple of posts that mention moving to avodart after using propecia for some time (1-3 years or so) and i was looking for some information on Avodart and its effectiveness.

Can someone help clarify the differences between the two, and which is generally regarded as better ?

Thanks.

While its generally thought that Avodart (Dutasteride) is more effective at blocking DHT, it is not yet been approved by the FDA for hair loss. A lot of information on Propecia vs Avodart can be found on Roberts website:

http://www.iregrewmyhair.com/2006/06/21/propecia-vs-avo...d-you-choose-part-1/

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Not that Im aware of. The cheapest place that I know to get it by far is globaldrugsdirect.com. If anyone else knows any other place thats cheaper let us know.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I'm also considering trying Avodart. I have been on Propecia for 5 years and I feel it's losing its efficacy. It has slowed down my hair loss, but I feel I'm losing some ground now. The main reason I haven't tried Avodart is the cost. I e-mailed Inhousedrugstore.com regarding Dutas, a generic version of Avodart, manufactured by Dr. Reddys in India. Inhousedrugstore has a good reputation as an online source of meds. I've ordered Proscar and other general meds from them.

Below was there reply regarding Dutas:

Hello David,

We sell alot of the Dutas compared with Avodart. Most likely due to

price. The product is genuine and we have many repeat customers for it so I imagine they are finding it effective. I have not had any actual reviews on it though.

Dr Reddys would be a trusted manufacturer. They are FDA approved and also listed on the NYSE

I would take it with confidence

Sincerely

Kerry

I haven't made the switch yet, because I want to know for certain that it is legit. The cost of Dutas at inhouse is about 30$/month if you buy 6 months worth; compared to Avodart, which is around 100$/month at inhouse.

Does anybody else have any opinions/experience with Dutas?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rashomon,

I don't believe DHoose posts here anymore.............just filling you in. His post is about 1 year old.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 months later...
Guest Justmepm

I have tried both Duta and Finesteride. Just stopped taking Duta for the 2nd time (two periods of appx 6 mo), while take Finesteride in between. Started taking Finesteride about 5 years agao. I felt Duta worked to thicken up the Crown, and maybe, maybe worked better than Finesteride. I didn't think it did much for the front area. The hair didn't seem to shed. I guess I tried Duta cause I felt I had plateaued with Finesteride. I did cycle on both (periods where hair would look worse one week, then get better for weeks at a time, etc). I stopped Duta both times because I felt it was impacting my brain a bit. Never any sexual side effects. Even felt a little depression the 2nd time around. Since I started on Finesteride again, the depressing feeling stopped after a week. Really weird. I also had more intense dreams, and couldn't sleep quite as good. I can only recommend you consult a doctor, which I didn't do, while you are taking Duta. Who knows, I may try it again if I feel Finesteride is not helping to maintain. We'll see. Everyone's body is different, so I think it's all about finding the right solution.

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by J-heezy:

I am wondering, how can I tell if I am taking a placebo dut or the real thing?

Buy the genuine product. Propecia, Avodart, Rogaine, Nizoral, it's all not that expensive. Once you pay for the counterfeit/generic, the saving is trivial. Have a piece of mind and don't cheap out on yourself.

Sorry, I will rephrase:

My pills look like authentic avodart. However my doctor insisted I use Proscar for 6 mths due to some liklihood of side effects with DUT. He finally prescribed me some DUT, in the name of Avodart, it is a dull yellow pill with the red writing on the side. Im just wondering how I can determine if it is a placebo, that is a sugar pill that looks like Avodart?

Can anyone bite into an Avodart pill and tell me what it tastes like?... (Im assuming a sugar pill wont taste the same)

• 3 weeks later...

Someone help!

I started taking proscar, 1.5mg per day about 7 months ago, along with 2% minox(mornings) and 5%minox (nights).and Nizorol 2% every other day. But I dont really think it helped. After 6 months (1 month ago)

I switched to DUT and began taking .5mg every other day in combination with the minox. Ive also been on Saw Palmetto for the past month as well. Ive noticed heavier shedding now that I have switched. Also my scalp often has a burning sensation. (while it was always kind of itchy with the minox) its increased. What does this all mean. Is my shedding the natural phase of DUT? (most posters say its supposed to begin about 6 weeks in, I'm less than that) Also whats with the burning scalp? Is it increased DHT, or is it the DUT removing the oil?

Im confused and losing hair fast. Can anyone help?

(Sorry for the long post)

I had a bad time with the Avodart experiment.

Heavy shedding that never seemed to come back.

The drug's long term effects really scare me.

It gets to a point where you have to finally decide if hair is really worth your body's long term health.

A full head of hair on a corpse doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense.

Also Google the term: Burning Scalp Sensation

It may help you understand things a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by brianf:

Is dutasteride available in a generic form or after market brand?

Yes, Dutasteride is available at (First time user posting links is indicative of blatant promotions - this is a violation of our terms of service. Thus, the link has been removed.) I have been using them for years, very authentic and reliable.

• 1 year later...

I had good stabilization on Propecia but wanted more regrowth so I switched to Avodart. I was on it for 5 months religiously. After the first month I began losing tons of hair, all over, especially the hairline. Very scary. If that persisted, the follicles would never regrow hair.. perhaps permanent damage is done. I don't know. I lost tons in my hairline and some minor ejaculation issues. This is probably why Avodart is not approved. For some (many) people, it really destroys hair. Definitely not worth the risk. If you get decent results from Propecia (stabilizing or a little loss) then stay with it. Nothing is scarier than losing a lot of hair constantly over 5 months. I am stunned.

Originally posted by Qball76:

I had good stabilization on Propecia but wanted more regrowth so I switched to Avodart. I was on it for 5 months religiously. After the first month I began losing tons of hair, all over, especially the hairline. Very scary. If that persisted, the follicles would never regrow hair.. perhaps permanent damage is done. I don't know. I lost tons in my hairline and some minor ejaculation issues. This is probably why Avodart is not approved. For some (many) people, it really destroys hair. Definitely not worth the risk. If you get decent results from Propecia (stabilizing or a little loss) then stay with it. Nothing is scarier than losing a lot of hair constantly over 5 months. I am stunned.

Same here. I was really scared of the stuff but wanted to try it. So I took half the recommended daily dosage and only once every three days. It still started knocking out my hair like I was on chemo. I got off it fast but it still took a couple of months before my hair stopped falling out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...