Dr. Bernstein

vtec

I am a physician, and probably do a bit more leg work when researching doctors within a particular field, as well as have an edge when evaluating them. I had consults with several hair restoration surgeons, and had the best experience with Dr. Bernstein. He was straightforward and honest about what he thought would best serve me. His estimate of the number of follicular units to achieve what I wanted was lower than other surgeons (so he was not trying to do more than needed). Also, he has extensive research experience in hair restoration, and in fact developed the follicular unit technique - clearly the best.

After scouting around on some blog sites, it was evident that he is regarded as number one in his field. In fact, there was some speculation about his reputation amongst celebrities. Amazingly, his fee is not higher, and upon comparison to other surgeons, quite fair.

I had my 1 year follow up recently, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the results. I wear my hair back, and my hairline is completely exposed. It is indistinguishable from before the surgery, except it is lower and fuller - exactly what I wanted. During my follow up visit, I asked him if he thought any further work would be beneficial, and he said no - a testimony to his integrity.

I emphatically recommend Dr. Bernstein for anyone considering this procedure - he's the best.

To be honest, this post leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It seems so....promotional and superficial and loaded.....nonetheless, I'm happy you are very happy with your results, and it would be great if you or Dr. Bernstein could document them to some extent.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Guys--Dr. Bernstein doesn't operate that way.

I have no doubts vtec's post is 100% true, and he just doesn't understand how his post may be taken.

I don't know where he researched but most people report that Dr. Bernstein is significantly higher priced than other docs.

Anyway, my opinion.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I agree that it would be nice to see a blog (or pics) of vtec's before and after pictures. Promotion without validation can be hard to swallow for informed consumers.

I'm a recent patient of Dr. Bernstein's and have also had a few conversations with him beyond that involving my HT. I echo the sentiments of vtec's in that Dr. Bernstein is top notch and a man of integrity. I used due diligence and ended up in his chair.

His per graft price is around $6, which seems to be at the higher end of the pricing spectrum. If I did not believe that he was the right surgeon for me, I never would have come to his practice and paid his price.

I'm kind of blown away by the post here that notes "but so conservative that a good number of patients under 50 or nw4 or lower will be left unfulfilled"

What scientific or anecdotal study is this based on?

This is a very intelligent community and I think that all coalition Docs are first class.

Documenting one's sucess with the appropriate media (e.g. pix) is surely a good idea too, especially when giving a rave review to a particular practice.

Vtec,

Welcome to our forum community and thanks for sharing your experience with Dr. Bernstein. I hope you'll take the time to share the details of your surgery and post photos by creating a hair loss weblog.

Thana and PGP,

I appreciate you looking out for this community by sniffing out potential covert posters. However, I agree with Jason. It's not Dr. Bernstein's practice to covertly promote. Let's give this patient the benefit of the doubt and encourage him to post his surgical details with photos.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hello All: As you may or may not know, or recall, I am a present patient of Dr. Bernstein (Dr. "B") and agree 100% with vtec's enthusiasm and support of Dr. B. In fact, I'll go further, since I required numerous repairs of prior transplants, his work, along with his integrity, is not questionable. To be clear, other than our patient/surgeon relationship (and the fact that I think he is super terrific), I am in no way affiliated with this fine surgeon and/or his office, I am simply that impressed by his work/style. Further, I consulted with numerous surgeons around the country and in NYC, and I am certain that I made the right choice for me. Of course, should anyone need more clarity, or has any doubt in my credibility, I am happy to answer any questions and/or comments in a one on one correspondence. Please don't misunderstand, I have no negative comments about other Dr.'s (except for the butcher that screwed with my head in 1991-92), only glowing reviews for Dr. B. I do think that a monthly photo journal would have been a useful thing to support anyone's claims (including mine), however, I just (a) don't have the technical capabilities, and (b) prefer not to be seen during the repairs without my hat on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thana and Please Grow I just had an 8 month follow up with Dr. Bernstein and I have to say that I could not be happier. I was 39 when I had the surgery. It still flips me out to see the hair back up there on my head especially the hairline itself - it's so natural. And I don't work for Dr. Bernstein by the way, I just think his work is superior.

before-after-7-29-08.jpg.4b0a3c08320922cafff4137f50756b58.jpg

Originally posted by WilliamB1968:

Hi Thana and Please Grow I just had an 8 month follow up with Dr. Bernstein and I have to say that I could not be happier. I was 39 when I had the surgery. It still flips me out to see the hair back up there on my head especially the hairline itself - it's so natural. And I don't work for Dr. Bernstein by the way, I just think his work is superior.

Man, you must be thrilled! Looks great.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week