Hair Transplantation Misconceptions

Guest HLBD

Is anyone else shocked at how much bad information on hair loss and/or hair transplantation there is out there? Every time I think I've seen the pinnacle of human ignorance -and by ignorance, I am not referring to those that lack knowledge, but those that refuse to learn when knowledge is available - I see someone else claiming superior information who should have checked their facts, but chose not to do so.

Just today, I was reading an article in Men's Journal about male cosmetic surgery. Of course, they mentioned hair transplants as being one of the most popular cosmetic procedures for men, but when it came to describing the procedure, what did the author describe? Punch grafting: an outdated and inefficient procedure producing substandard and oft hideous results. As opposed, of course to the gold standard of FUE. To top that load of caca with a cherry, the author of the article got figures on the relative cost of the procedure from this site! He didn't even bother to read the quality material on this site or ask for help in understand the procedure from the knowledgeable members of this forum, or the top docs who all have an Internet portal to their patients and (dare I say it) fans through this site.

I'm sorry, but this kind of willful dissemination of misinformation shocks me. I know that I have said it before on this forum, but I cannot help but believe that most men do not choose hair transplantation as they still have, and are encouraged to keep their misconceptions in regard to the procedure and what is possible. I certainly would not choose to have a punch graft, plug procedure, micro/mini (I would not choose this procedure again, that is...) or scalp reduction. Even sadder is the fact that some doctors are still performing these procedures and telling patients that they are "state of the art." I know that when I made the mistake of going to MHR in 2000 they were still stating that micro/minis were the latest and best technique in hair transplantation.

With the number of men opting into hair transplantation dropping dramatically from 2006 and 2007 - I read somewhere that it has dropped something like 35% - how are the quality docs that produce the winning results going to keep attracting customers? If things keep dropping off like this, this site (and others) maybe looking forward to more lawsuits. Very sad state of affairs indeed.

Is anyone else shocked at how much bad information on hair loss and/or hair transplantation there is out there? Every time I think I've seen the pinnacle of human ignorance -and by ignorance, I am not referring to those that lack knowledge, but those that refuse to learn when knowledge is available - I see someone else claiming superior information who should have checked their facts, but chose not to do so.

Just today, I was reading an article in Men's Journal about male cosmetic surgery. Of course, they mentioned hair transplants as being one of the most popular cosmetic procedures for men, but when it came to describing the procedure, what did the author describe? Punch grafting: an outdated and inefficient procedure producing substandard and oft hideous results. As opposed, of course to the gold standard of FUE. To top that load of caca with a cherry, the author of the article got figures on the relative cost of the procedure from this site! He didn't even bother to read the quality material on this site or ask for help in understand the procedure from the knowledgeable members of this forum, or the top docs who all have an Internet portal to their patients and (dare I say it) fans through this site.

I'm sorry, but this kind of willful dissemination of misinformation shocks me. I know that I have said it before on this forum, but I cannot help but believe that most men do not choose hair transplantation as they still have, and are encouraged to keep their misconceptions in regard to the procedure and what is possible. I certainly would not choose to have a punch graft, plug procedure, micro/mini (I would not choose this procedure again, that is...) or scalp reduction. Even sadder is the fact that some doctors are still performing these procedures and telling patients that they are "state of the art." I know that when I made the mistake of going to MHR in 2000 they were still stating that micro/minis were the latest and best technique in hair transplantation.

With the number of men opting into hair transplantation dropping dramatically from 2006 and 2007 - I read somewhere that it has dropped something like 35% - how are the quality docs that produce the winning results going to keep attracting customers? If things keep dropping off like this, this site (and others) maybe looking forward to more lawsuits. Very sad state of affairs indeed.

HLBD,

If you are referring to the Men's Journal July Issue, I saw it and even sent a letter to the editor suggesting a collaborative writing. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from them to date.

Despite their misinformation regarding hair transplant surgery, the good news is they did reference our website www.hairtransplantnetwork.com. So if anyone reading that article was interested in learning more, they would have come to our website and learn more about the real causes of hair loss and today's state of the art hair transplant techniques.

Thankfully, the patients of this community have helped revolutionize the industry by demanding only the best results. That is why we only recommend surgeons who show and provide consistent positive state of the art results.

The interesting thing is, though the economy overall isn't doing very well, our websites and forum community has been busier than ever before. More and more prospective patients are finding us and educating themselves. Thanks to all of the patient and physician members who give of their time to help educate men and women looking to restore their hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

Interesting to hear that HT's are down by 35% from 06-07 (if accurate). I'm sure the economy has something to do with it. It could be that business is dramatically down at the 2 large chains, Bosely and MHR (thanks to informative forums like this).

In addition, more and more guys are finding that shaving is a viable option with a lot less hassle, time, etc.

It would be interesting to hear from a few doctors of the network on if they feel that the 35% reduction in HT's from 06-07 is accurate.

Interesting to hear that HT's are down by 35% from 06-07 (if accurate). I'm sure the economy has something to do with it. It could be that business is dramatically down at the 2 large chains, Bosely and MHR (thanks to informative forums like this)

I think it also has alot to do w/ the style now adays to. Shaved down is the way to go now!

I don't think there is necessarily any 'style' that the balding public has chosen. I think over the years, transplants have gotten a pretty bad rep, ultimately turning people off.

However, companies like Bosley are pushing hard via TV Commercials which are raising public knowledge, but directing them to the wrong doctors =\

Catch 22 we have here. If HT's are anything like new technology, the more doctors pushing to emerge into the market will drive down the cost and increase the standards and results.

Sad to see Men's Health publishing such crap. Although, its just another magazine, so im not suprised..

Anything worth doing is never easy

The article you are referring to is testiment to the enduring power of the negative publicity that the old syle plug work and its practitioners inflicted on this industry.

Even though that procedure has become almost completely extinct the term "hair plugs" is still the standard vernacular used by uninformed non-hairloss sufferers.

When they choose to use the term only some writers are innocently unaware that its use is not only an inaccurate one, but a pejorative one as well.

Other writers knowingly use the inaccurate term "hair plugs" because they know it will get a rise out of readers. Afterall , what is more eye catching and gut provoking-"Hair Plugs" or " Follicular Units"?

When you see the term "Hair Plugs" you instantly think of a train wreck and want to see pictures of the victim. But when the term "Follicular Unit" is read by the causal reader they move on and chalk the term up to "techno-speak" that isn't worth the energy to investigate.

Remember, in the media "if it bleeds it leads" and bad news is the only real news that sells. "Feel good stories" are only used to fill slow news days.

The use of the word "plugs" is inaccuate, pejorative, and wrong. But guess what...the media doesn't care. Just ask ANY publication or media outlet that ever ran a feel good story on Low Light Laser Therapy. Not once have they seen any actual results, but that never stopped them from publishing an article about it and then accepting advertising dollars from manufactures of such useless gizmos and quackary.

Dr. Feller

i am convinced the general public has no clue at how advanced the hair transplant technology is. that's why if you get work done by a top surgeon people will have no clue.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The general public has no clue about state of the art hair transplants because honestly it is the exception, not the rule.

Think about it. When you are watching TV or at the movies when do you EVER see any mention of hair transplantation? I'll tell you; when one of the characters is written into the script as the comic relief, most commonly referred to as "the guy with the plugs". It's always written in for a laugh and that is the way it will be for a long time to come. A natural hair line and good coverage where once there was none is hardly good writing that get a reaction out of the viewership.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians