REFERRAL DISCOUNT

I think that the Doctors that are spoken of so highly on this site have a very full calendar of patients without the need to offer bounty money as an inducement. The Doctors that are younger and less experienced will try to get more clients by offers of a referal fee. As for myself, I am very happy with my results with Dr. Hasson but I get no tribute money for saying so. Just my opinion. Cheers

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

I find nothing wrong with Dr.s giving a patient a refferal fee or a discount for this. Each of us is a walking advertisement and the better the surgery, the happier the patient. This only works if the doctor makes people happy, who thereafter wants to share their story with other sufferers, and show proof up close and in person. To me that is good business, and shows me that a doctor is confident in his or her work. All of us are well aware that the best surgeons are booked months in advance, which should tell you that if they are willing to offer a discount for a refferal that they appreciate your happiness and willingness to share with others. Let's face it, not every patient is going to tell others they had work done. Some of us have no problem doing so, and with the thousands that are spent doing cosmetic improvements, IMO it is giving a little something back to a satisfied patient. I understand a dark side exists to this, but if a doctors work is no good, no amount of persuasion or discount is going to make an educated person go back.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

My chief concern regarding patients getting compensation (monetary, free dinners, or follicular)is that they not become covert sales people on the forums.

I know of at least one well known hair restoration physician (not recommended on this site) who offers some patients discounts on their next surgery if they work the forums for him.

I think such undisclosed covert marketing subverts the credibility of educational forums. That's why I will not recommend physicians on this site who participate in such covert marketing.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I personally feel that referrals to or about doctors , especially regarding hair transplantation which will have a lifetime impact both to one's confidence and appearance, should not be based on a monetary consideration. Rather it should be based on honest and proven information with just the interest of the potential patient in mind. This is just my personal opinion.

I was lucky enough to chance upon this site in the nick of time before a procedure with MHR. Based on the invaluable and objective information I found, I chose Dr.Ron shapiro and just completed a 2523 graft procedure with him about a week ago.

It will still take time for me to see my results, but just on the basis of the objective manner by which Dr.Ron evaluated my case and spent time talking to me, the absolutely non-monetary perspective by which he conducted my whole procedure (he does not hesitate to say that one needs lesser grafts based on our case even though that means lesser revenue for him, and in fact he even charged me for a lesser number of grafts than he actually inserted) and the overall skill and care he exhibited throughout (this includes post op responses with immediate turnaround)- I am convinced that he is one of the greatest HT doctors around. This has been time and again confirmed by several people on this forum. I also found that he is also so down to earth and always willing to listen and give utmost importance to patients questions (however irrelevant or insignificant they may be).

I did not know about Dr.Ron until about 3 weeks ago, and I have now already had a procedure with him and sincerely feel glad/lucky to have had the opportunity to meet him and undergo a procedure with him. I feel confident that I should see good progress in the next few months in my case. I'll keep this forum updated.

I am sure there are other great doctors with similar traits/approaches and who dont need any referrals, and I guess we owe it to other potential HT patients to point them to these great doctors without any bias or expectation. I would certainly like to do my bit in recommending a great doctor to future patients without expecting anything in return. In summary - from my perspective, Dr.Ron Shapiro is top notch (for all those who may be reading this now or in future)

icare4myhair

2523 grafts - Dr.Ron Shapiro, Sep7, 2006

GRAFT STATISTICS

1hair -#grafts,#hairs- 450 , 450

2hair -#grafts,#hairs-1373, 2746

3hair -#grafts,#hairs- 650 , 1950

4hair -#grafts,#hairs- 50 , 200

TOTAL-#grafts,#hairs-2523, 5346

My Hair Loss Weblog

• Administrators

Icare4myhair,

Congratulations on your positive experience. I think your experience and your attitude epitomizes the best of this forum and community.

You benefited from the information shared on this forum and now you want to give back and help others. I believe they call it "paying it forward".

Such word of mouth promotion also enables leading physicians to stay busy without paying for advertising that would then be charged in their pricing.

I think good karma and the satisfaction of giving and doing right are what most members of this forum get for their generous efforts.

Best wishes for a great result. Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I agree with Pat that referral fees can blur credibility on the forums if undisclosed. I have been a proud fan of Dr. Hasson's for the longest time. I have met with perhaps a dozen or more people who were interested in seeing my results and asking questions. In fact, someone just contacted me from this website a few days ago and I believe we are meeting this Monday evening!

Never, for a moment, did I consider asking for or a referral fee, let alone receive one (or any other kind of remuneration). Why, then, do I do it? Because this site saved my bloody life the morning of my scheduled surgery with Bosley. And because I'm ecstatic with the work Dr. Hasson did for me. And because I like Dr. Hasson, Dr. Wong, Joe, Doug, Mike, Christina, etc., and the rest of the H&W crew. So I come out here, and in person when requested, and try to give back.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a referral fee, as long as it is disclosed.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Amen to this site being a lifesaver, to which many of us owe Pat a great deal of thanks. My idea of a refferal is freinds and family, or an interested sufferer, one meets in person. Someone combing the internet in an attempt to find refferal fees without proper notification is indeed the lowest of the low. I understand fully Bushy. I feel the same about Ron Shapiro, and when I get an opportunity, I so tell those that I meet how I am changing my appearance with his help!

I hope I get 4000+ on my next one, so I can join the 7000+ transplant club icon_cool.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by the B spot:

I hope I get 4000+ on my next one, so I can join the 7000+ transplant club icon_cool.gif

To 7,100! 6881064762_icon_cheers.gif?ts=450E13E0&key=28A26BDE8F3C99BA46F8A2DEC0A8954A&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fhair-restoration-info.com%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F7881064762%2Ficon_cheers.gif

icon_cheers.gif.7f0f39ed7fab486191a35e5f909be140.gif

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Pat on allowing discounts for referrals as it relates to the HTN. The scenario I was discussing would only apply if let's say someone gets a surgery and then refers a friend or family member. Then 1-2 years down the line the person wants a second procedure, and asks for a discount because they referred a friend or family member. This would justify giving the patient a break on price, it just seems like the right thing to do.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile

Your intention should be to help others, not just fatting your wallet, then sure if you are a doctors show-pony he can offer you a discount or possibly a free procedure. Then I think about someone like Pat, and something tells me he did not receive a free ht from Dr.Shapiro, what he did receive was that other thing......ahhh yes integrity / respect that is why I we all owe pat big time, myself a near bosley victim like bushy got lucky enough to stumble on this site before d-day.

Thanks again Pat...rock on brother icon_cool.gif

p.s b-spot 7k club wow, any dates for ht2?

I oppose the idea of referrals. This is a high tech medical procedure performed by a professional. Referral fees are no more reasonable than trading stamps, frequent flyer miles, or a free fill-up with your HT.

Pat's point is most salient tho: turning patients into your salesforce is not a good idea from any direction. HT's are expensive...they OUGHT to be.

My doctor worked HARD, as did his staff. They earned their money...every penny.

mark h

Hey Scholar! Working those details out with Matt!!!! I have the ability to take off with only a week or two notice so I will probably wait for someone to cancel, move their date etc... and head up to the Magic Chair!!!!!! I am just a few days from 1 year post op, so I am prime for #2, and ready to join the 7000 club.

I think I will ask Doc to take a 1.7x 28cm strip this time around, and if it closes easy on the first side to maybe add a 1-2 mm around the back. Either way though, at 1.7 I will probably yield 3800 to 4200 grafts. I must confess I am eager to see what the Doc can do with that type of graft count given the awesome base I got during #1.

Mark-- I agree somewhat, but HT docs are businesses, not ER or Heart doctors, etc... I would say that most HT Docs use word of mouth as their biggest advertisement. They provide a service because a market demands it, period. I like the idea of Dr.s being able to charge on a graft scale,(That they deserve), but I also like the doctor that adjusts to various situations and circumstances. I think we are looking at this as a RIGHT/WRONG issue, when it is not. If a doctor feels that it is right, case in point Nikki's post on their practices) then I think that is great!!!! If they do not, then by all means, that is great as well.

We need to recognize the FACT that a large portion of the HT industry does not use the internet, radio, or television to promote their practices, again choosing to use word of mouth to maintain clientele. That is my perspective on the issue, just so people don't think I am coming out of left here.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

In response to the comment on integrity, I believe that the physicians on this site are here because of their level of integrity and willingness to not sell out.

The physicians on this site are at the top of their game and any Bosley or MHR would love to get their hands on them, and frankly the doctor would in turn make a lot more money, but they would have to live with the fact that they were giving their patients sub par treatment.

A hair restoration surgeon has a choice, they can use old technology and perform multiple cases per day, thus making a much bigger profit, or using the best technology and are then limited to one case per day, but have peace of mind because they are living up to their Hippocratic Oath.

Personally I would only associate with a physician that illustrates these qualities.

In the past all an independent had were the referrals. There was no way to ever compete with the larger outfits because our advertising dollar was so limited. But slowly people are becoming more educated and coming to understand that just because you see a commercial 2-3 times a day does not necessarily equate to optimal work. This is still a struggle though.

The people on this site are independents and all share the common interest, to offer each patient the very best treatment possible.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile