Clinics in Sydney - Australia

hawk

Hawk

You mentioned you want a "total solution". You may have an unrealistic idea about what hair transplants can achieve (?) There is simply not enough donor hair available to restore your entire head to "pre hair loss" levels.

The crown area can require a huge number of grafts for some guys. It's possible to use up your entire donor supply just in the crown area (!) leaving no hair available to graft in the hairline area. The hairline is generally considered the first priority however, as it frames the face. The crown is a large area, and because of the "spiral" pattern the hair does not lay over itself the way it does when the hair is only going in only direction... like in the front. This means it takes more grafts to cover a given area in the crown, than it would take to cover the same given area in the mid scalp, for example.

Be sure you have a realistic idea about what surgery can accomplish. It will not restore all of your hair. And it will not prevent additional hair loss (for that you would need Propecia, etc). Maybe you need to get a handle on what a hair transplant can accomplish?

Most doctors will discourage you from grafting heavily in the crown, because you need to reserve some donor supply to make sure the front is taken care of. Don't be surprised if you hear this from other doctors besides Dr Woods. Many doctors approach the crown with caution, especially if the crown is one of the first priorities that the patient wants to take care of.

And please don't "doctor shop" until you find a doctor who will do whatever you want... decide on a doctor who you think is GREAT and then consider actually taking their advice! If they warn you not to do something then you probably shouldn't do it!!!!

So you reckon strip procedure would be the best. And that too without any scars or else?

NO, you will get an ear to ear strip scar of course, Dr Martinick does Strip excision.

It sounds like your desires may not be achievable.

Thanks mate for your great feedback. I did get a response from Dr. Martinick

"It appears that you are still actively losing hair in your mid scalp and crown areas. To restore your present loss it would require 1000 single follicles in your hairline plus 800 double grafts to thicken-up your mid scalp and crown areas. However, a word of caution. You will continue to lose hair in the mid-scalp/crown areas unless you can stabilize your present condition by administrating oral medication containing active ingredient finasteride. (Propecia)"

ARFY !! So 1000 single follicles and 800 double grafts! How do you come to the conclusion that there is simply not enough donor hair available to restore your entire head to "pre hair loss" levels? Not questioning your knowledge in this industry but still wondering.

As per your explanation about filling the crown area; no wonder Dr. Woods was not confident about this particular area.

I do want to have a realistic idea on what can be achieved from a hair loss surgery.

I have used Revivogen in the past and did see some improvement in my hair loss. I am not too confident about Propecia though. I had a friend whose hair condition was stable when he was using Propecia, but once he left it, all his hair was gone. And what about the possible side effects? Would you recommend Revivogen?

I am definitely concerned about the crown area. I will post my pictures shortly so that you have a better idea.

I have short listed Dr. Martinick and Dr. Woods. Dr. Woods seems to be charging almost twice.

Costs are not an issue but I would only take the plunge once my concept is clear about surgery and related expectations.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

I have short listed Dr. Martinick and Dr. Woods. Dr. Woods seems to be charging almost twice.

Good grief, Dr Woods is doing FUE and Dr Martinick is doing Strip excision, the two are not comparable. I think you need to do a hell of a lot more research but the key question to ask yourself is: Will I be comfortable having an ear to ear scar across the back of my head? (this means never again having a serious buzz-cut). If the answer to that is yes (for me it is a definite no-no) then Strip might be your best option. It ultimately depends on what you are happy with.

No mate, I will not be comfortable having an ear to ear scar across the back of my head.

To my knowledge there are only two techniques.

1) FUE

2) Strip excision

The crown results of FUE may not be good but there won't be any scars definitly.

Strip seems like a butcher work.

Where do I go from here?

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

The crown results of FUE may not be good but there won't be any scars definitly.

Hawk where did you here this that Fue for crown might not be as good as strip for crown?.In theory they are healthy grafts being placed. With Both techniques. Now the the question should be is to find a qualified surgeon that produces consistent results time after time. I had a little crown vertex work going on 3 years now and they grew great.

Hawk i went with Dr Martnick because you get bigger bang for your buck with strip over Fue.The scar wasnt a concern for me either as its so small and you will never see it.I can tell you after having 2 procedures with Dr M that her work is exceptional.Send me a email with your pictures and ill forward on my before and after shots of my procedures to give you a idea.As for covering most of your head ,it will not happen but they can cover a damn good lot so it looks like a full head of hair.Thats all you require!

Damo

• 4 months later...

Ok, sorry im a bit late to join this thread.

So Hawk how did you go? Who did you choose?

I havnt posted for about 8 months so im a bit out of the loop. Damo I see your still a big advocate of Dr M, I remember you saying you were off to get another procedure done, how's it all going?

Yeah I know, long time, I was just enjoying the new hair.

Nice to see your still looking after the forum and btw great results, im sporting a similar hairstyle to yours. Its no stress and you dont have to worry about anything hey. Got to love that.

i figured i should get back on line and talk more about my experiences now that everything has had a chance to grow.

My views on Dr Barry White... Dont do it.

I have had a chance to compare my results with many before and afters and can say with conviction that I could have done better.

However, and this is important, I am not saying that my HT is bad, far from it, I think its a good HT, just not the best and probably not that close to the best.

The density is quite good, the hairline is actually quite good in terms of its accuracy to my original but the hairline density for the first 5 millimeters is poor. Its this aspect of the result that makes me style my hair forward as opposed to up or to the side like I would normally.

So to any Australians researching please feel free to ask me any questions, I will probably get another done soon and will start to re-research soon, I do continue to hear positives about Dr Martinick so will definitly have a look there, (que 'she's amazing' comment from Damo, just joking mate, you've every reason to be happy : )

Th worst thing is, you get the front fixed, your happy as, and then the back starts to say 'see ya later'........ damn

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean Parable, you're right I dont believe they are trustworthy.

Rocky I also continue to hear good things about Dr Knudsen, do you have any more info to add to your recommendation.

One thing thats frustrating in Aus is the limited choice of Doctors. The US and Canada seem to have many top quality Doc's. Frustrating but I will conti\nue to research and see what I find.

Do you have a before shot Rocky.

Parable, I remember you said you went to DHI (i think) to get your second, how's it all going?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

To put a bit of balance in this discussion, I would not recommend Dr Martinick. Damo is very happy with his results (and no-one can ask for more than to be personally satisfied) but IMHO, as with a lot of Martinick's work, there is a very "straight/diagonal line" artificial look to her hairlines. I've seen a few of her efforts in live detail. You can also view the ones she puts forward as advertisements on her site. Judge for yourself. She's stronger on the "strip" side of the procedure (ie. thinner & less pronounced ??“ albeit longer - scar, depending on skin type) and weaker on the hairline/placement side.

• 1 year later...

wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread!

I prefer to bring this one back up than create a new one.

G'day!

I am 26yo and have been using Propecia/Minoxidil for over 5 years. I am around a Norwood Type 3 and am hoping I only need 500 or so grafts (if that) so its mainly for my hairline that has receded and thinned slightly.

With that in mind I think the best option for me would be FUE. Are there any good FUE docs in Sydney, Australia? I see Dr Woods is recommended but he seems VERY expensive. Is there anyone else out there?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wuntmunz. If you are asking about past patient experiences . I highly recommnded him. If you need only 500 grafts definately Fue in your case. Possibly prices may have changed a bit since the economy has been dragging around the world. Not sure what he charges now but worth a free consult in my opinion anyway. I traveled from the states almost 6 years ago and would do it again in a minute if I ever need more work done in the future and decide to go FUE.

I see Dr Woods is recommended but he seems VERY expensive. Is there anyone else out there?

Wuntmuz,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Just as an FYI, Dr. Woods is not recommended by this community. To see a list of who we recommend, click here.

Unfortunately, I have not seen enough examples of quality work from clinics in Australia to even consider recommending them at this time. However, if you don't want to travel, use this forum to see what patients are saying about surgeons in Australia.

In my opinion, you may want to consider traveling to Pakistan to see Dr. Mohmand, Thailand to see Dr. Pathomvanich, or Vancouver to see Hasson and Wong. I believe these are probably the closest quality clinics we recommend to Australia.

Best wishes,

Bill