Receding @ age 16 (ritalin suspect) got worse in 20s, now 26, pic attached - what will work, what wont?

Joe,

I would imagine that you already have an idea of the answers to your own questions my friend. If it was as easy as herbal remedies, I doubt that anybody would pay large HT fees. Unfortunately, the reason they do pay for these transplants, is because they are the only proven method of hair restoration.

Despite you comment that Minoxidil will not regrow huge amounts of your hair, which is true. What it may do is allow you to keep on to what you currently have, resulting in less potential work and therefore better and maybe cheaper results if you choose to take a HT. You should seriously consider Propecia and Minoxidil. Conduct a search on these forums for more information.

Very few can afford it. They make a plan and save. Save and save hard. When something proves this important to you, especially at a younger age like yourself, you make a long term plan and work at it!

Good luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

women dont respect me and dismiss me as unattractive. If I had a full head of hair, I strongly feel it would be a different situation because I have great looks otherwise:

BOY!! Do I strongly disagree with this!!

Perhaps women don't respect you, because you don't respect yourself.

Alot of women (if not most) WILL find you attractive (even with some level of hairloss)

Beauty has ALOT to do with your own self perception.(I HAD to realise this also.)

You think women find you unattractive, because you perceive yourself as being unattractive.

You have to develop your life (A SOCIAL STANDING aka a profession like a physician, lawyer, etc., along side a sense of humour and INDEPENDENCE:not being "clingy" to her; she must be subtly aware, that you can live without her) and a woman's sense of attraction to you will develop.

Beware all of this is a two sided coin.

It is incumbent on you to appreciate a woman's full beauty also, and not just focus on your perception of her deficiency.

take care...

BOY!! Do I strongly disagree with this!!

Perhaps women don't respect you, because you don't respect yourself.

Alot of women (if not most) WILL find you attractive (even with some level of hairloss)

Beauty has ALOT to do with your own self perception.(I HAD to realise this also.)

You think women find you unattractive, because you perceive yourself as being unattractive.

You have to develop your life (A SOCIAL STANDING aka a profession like a physician, lawyer, etc., along side a sense of humour and INDEPENDENCE:not being "clingy" to her; she must be subtly aware, that you can live without her) and a woman's sense of attraction to you will develop.

Beware all of this is a two sided coin.

It is incumbent on you to appreciate a woman's full beauty also, and not just focus on your perception of her deficiency.

very good post mmhce!

Dr. Phil could not say it better icon_smile.gif

Joe,

go with synthetic and forget herbal!

to be more specific go with minoxidil 5% 2x daily and finesteride 1mg daily or EOD if you experience some kind of side effect.

that cloud nine or whatever is called is nothing but saw palmetto wrapped up in a new shiny armor and i bet that you can buy saw palmetto + vitamin B complex (key cloud's ingredients) for a fraction of price of that cloud nine BS.

after you settle with those meds then it's time for you to come up with some dough and get a HT if you want to be able to score with some hot chick icon_smile.gif

Guest wanthairs

Joe---

If you truly cannot afford a hair transplant, my advice to you is to eat very healthy, exercise, get a good physique and shave your head. I shaved my head after my first hair transplant and was surprised how successful I became with girls even with a big scar across my head. A shaven head with a good body and dress is more attractive to a woman than a full head of hair on a fat guy with no style.

why finesteride and not avodart? doesnt avodart block both DHT channels?

if i shave my head im kind of skinny.. it doesnt look good i usually hit it with a #5 so its short.. but fully shaved it makes my head look small and slender i "dont have the dome for it"

why finesteride and not avodart? doesnt avodart block both DHT channels?

Each drug has an associated side effect together with its desired effect.

You NEED to start with Finasteride first, and see what side-effects you encounter before moving to a more powerful drug.

take care...

In my opinion joe riley, even if you could afford a transplant, you shouldn't get one. Your hair loss is VERY extensive and you're very young. The combination of your level of hair loss and relative young age appear to me as a recipe for disaster down the road. I hate to tell you this, but I think you have to make peace with the fact that with today's technology you have no option other than to shave down.

In my opinion joe riley, even if you could afford a transplant, you shouldn't get one. Your hair loss is VERY extensive and you're very young. The combination of your level of hair loss and relative young age appear to me as a recipe for disaster down the road. I hate to tell you this, but I think you have to make peace with the fact that with today's technology you have no option other than to shave down.

Joe,

You can consult a (Coalition) hair surgeon and have a professional opinion.

take care...

I should have said seek a professional opinion, my bad. However, keep in mind that no doctor can predict the future, so just be cautious. Look at older men with extreme hair loss and try to imagine how they would look today if they had undergone a hair transplant 30 years ago. While being bald sucks, it is at least normal. Tread carefully my friend, and EDUCATE yourself. After you've done months, and months, and months of research, then you decide whether you feel comfortable in gambling or not.

If it matters one bit, I'm also 26 and experiencing hair loss. I have a much lower hairline than you, but loss throughout the top of my head in the MPB area. I've probably been on this site for roughly 5 months, have met with two coalition doctors in person, and have been researching hair transplantation in depth for roughly a year. After all that, I am still scared to undergo a surgery because of the uncertainty inherent in the balding process. Just be careful.

Definately use it anyway. It will increase the strength of current hair shafts, keeping hold of what current hair you have.

I wouldnt take too much notice of TC17. Whilst you need to give any potential HT much thought, its a long and expensive process. I would suggest that you would need minimum 2 HTs. Without seeing your crown area, therefore not seeing your entire situation, guys with similar hairloss patterns and worse than yourself have had a great transformation.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Apparently Minoxidil says, on it's packaging, that its not for receding baldness, only for the "vertex" of the scalp, the crown or back of the head.

This has to do with the control boundaries that were set up during the initial pharmaceutical research. The pharmacological effect is potent throughout ALL areas of the scalp.

take care...

IMHO Joe, you are on your way to a NW6 (and maybe a NW7).

Go to the chart on this site and calculate how many transplants you will need. (Drugs and treatments will not do it IMHO. Not even close. It is extremely rare for anyone to get hairs back in shiney bald areas like the frontal portion of your scalp. You might be able to save some of the rear hair follicles with drugs. But at your rate of young balding, I have to honestly say that that is a crapshoot at best. I'm sorry but you do appear to have agressive balding.)

My guess is you will eventually need at least 8,000 FU transplants to achieve the illusion of density. (Oh heck, maybe a little less or a little more but you'll get what I mean when you go to the calculation section of this site.)

Send some pictures to reputable HT doctors on this site and get a professional opinion. (The pros have to see your donor area in detail also so they can make an educated guess on how many FU's you have available for transplanting.)

Calculation program:

http://www.hairlosslearningcen...ments/mm/introa.html

Drugs and treatments will not do it IMHO. Not even close.

Too many posters are giving this kid the wrong advice.

He FIRST has to deal with his own perception of his own beauty and his self esteem.

He NEEDS to keep taking medication for the rest of his life. It will work...in delaying the miniaturization process.

Just like me. Just like Bill. Just like Jotronic. Just like Jason. Just like PGP. Just like Spex.

need at least 8,000 FU

If he does proceed to surgical intervention after due deliberation, he can achieve the illusion of density with less than 8000FU and he must be aware that donor reserves must be preserved at all costs. (A professional HT surgeon's opinion is vital here.)

Framing of the face and densification of the top without crown restoration may be an option if he is indeed heading towards a NW7.

take care...

Drugs and treatment rarely, if ever, provide growth to shiney bald spots. (And roughly 2/3's of his scalp is shiney with the temples going also.) This is not bad advice. It is truthful advice.

Go to the calculation section, and for a NW7, he needs at least 7,000 grafts to achieve a 40/sq.cm result. He has fine hair and maybe will need more.

Don't lead Joe down the primrose path. He clearly has aggressive balding. Be honest with him on your advice.

Isn't ironic you mention Bill, Joe and Spex, who all needed at least 7,000 grafts to bring their hair back to acceptable density levels in their minds? icon_wink.gif

Drugs and treatment rarely, if ever, provide growth to shiney bald spots. This is not bad advice. It is truthful advice.

I'm not disputing that, but the fact remains that he needs to keep taking medication for the rest of his life.

Even non-atrophic hair minituarize over time and medication can aid with this.

Go to the calculation section, and for a NW7, he needs at least 7,000 grafts to achieve a 40/sq.cm result. He has fine hair and maybe will need more.

That's a software program calculating restoration for the entire scalp, including the crown.

I am non-professionally advising that he can stay out of the crown, ergo, he may need less that 8000FUs, even with finer hair.

Don't lead Joe down the primrose path. He clearly has agressive balding. Be honest with him on your advice.

He needs to work on his self-esteem first.

take care...

Remember mmhce that Bill, Joe and Spex all had over 7,000 grafts to achieve density that was acceptable to them. So drugs and treatments didn't work well enough for them, as well as for thousands upon thousands of other balding men. That's just a plain fact for pete's sake.

You have to honestly admit that Joe Riley is, at least, on par with their hairloss?

I wish I could tell Joe Riley differently but I assume he wants an honest, heartfelt answer.

Joe Riley,

I am not going to hijack your thread with a meaningless argument with someone less.

All comments ideally should be addressed to you on your thread.

You must make your own decision about the use of drugs and surgical restoration (if you decide to go this route, after professional consultation).

Please do your independent research about the use and limitations of drugs and hair restoration surgery.

And please take time to take care of your mental health/well being and peace of mind.

take care...

Hi Joe Riley:

Welcome!!!

He NEEDS to keep taking medication for the rest of his life. It will work...in delaying the miniaturization process
mmhce, I agree

I hate to see anyone at your age even having to consider HT. JR, I'm sure you have heard this many times, but I have to "go there"...the people who judge you by your looks, are shallow and probably people you don't really need to run around with anyway.

We are our biggest critics, we find flaws in ourself that some people never would notice or would overlook. I am not implying your hairloss is "all in your head", you do have hairloss. However, lots of young men have hairloss and beauty people want to be their friends, girlfriends, wives, etc. And that is because of WHO they truly are, not because of how many strands of hair they have left...

Quit being so hard on yourself, hairloss is not the end of the world for you. Assuming you are not a shallow person I am guessing you have friends with physical imperfections, such as weight issues, skin problems, missing limbs, etc. or that you would befriend a great person with one of these types of issues. Try not to be so hard on yourself. If addressing your hairloss is something you want to do for yourself, than go for it. However, if you want this for someone else or in hopes of be accepted by someone who would not accept you the way you are (with your current hairloss), please re-think this. TAKE CARE...

Jessica

HT Coordinator

Limmer HTC

Dr. Brad Limmer is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by mmhce:
Apparently Minoxidil says, on it's packaging, that its not for receding baldness, only for the "vertex" of the scalp, the crown or back of the head.

This has to do with the control boundaries that were set up during the initial pharmaceutical research. The pharmacological effect is potent throughout ALL areas of the scalp.

Is this true? I should be applying Rogaine to the hairline too?

Make sure you seek counsel with a qualified surgeon first and foremost. I mean granted we all need to see some more pics of your vertex and donor areas to fully assess the situation, IMO if you have good donor hair and laxity, then really your level of baldness doesn't matter...you can have successful HTs. Just be prepared it's gonna cost a pretty penny so start saving now. Check out some Hasson and Wong results on here for huge megasessions if you wanna see miracles icon_smile.gif...I believe that there is hope for you man.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Unfortunately, it looks like your baldness is so aggressive and advanced that you hair transplantation probably won't do much for you. At least not with many, many procedures. And the result is never going to give you a full head of hair; just make you less bald.

Hair restoration is an expensive, painful thing that requires multiple surgeries and a lifetime of drugs. Don't do it just because you think somebody else wants you to. There are plenty of bald guys out there with attractive girlfriends and wives -- I know plenty of them and could rattle off examples all night. Do it only for yourself.