looking for advice

Hi,

I am a new member to the sight. looking for some insight on HT. I will give you some backround on my hairloss.

* I am 39 years old

* I have been loosing my hair for about 13/15 years

* I have the typical rear crown bald spot ( front is still holding up well)

* father and grandparents both ahve great hairlines ( brother and uncle both have hairloss worse than me)

* no drugs , tried Rogain years ago with no luck

Looking for a doctor to do my HT, and looking for any input from anyone who has been there did that. I am located in PA. Thanks

PMD,

Ah, I see you posted on the forums as well. I'm sure you will receive some additional good advice since I've replied to you via PM.

But based on your description here, you are most likely a good candidate for an HT...especially if your crown is bald with no hair left in it. Since you'd only be getting an HT done in the crown, you wouldn't have to worry about shockloss (sorry if this sounds contradictory to what I've said in my PM...I don't think I was aware that your crown was completely bald).

That being said, since hairloss is progressive and unpredictable, you may still want to consider finasteride to see if it helps you. (I've said a lot about this via PM, so I won't bother repeating myself here).

I know you said you had difficulty posting your photos here, so I've PM'd you with my email address. Feel free to send them there and if you want, I'll be happy to post them on this thread for you so others can give you their feedback as well.

Bill

Hi PMD,

Welcome to the forums. Really, you're in a pretty good position if you do want a HT. We were almost in the same boat..........my first HT was at age 38 two years ago, I also had mostly crown loss but also was a diffused thinner on top and had some temple recision.

If I were you, as Bill mentioned, I'd still get on Propecia ASAP. I just started at the time of HT #2 1 year ago and do notice that it is helping me somewhat. I really don't expect regrowth but am hoping it will help me keep the remainder of what's left.

If you haven't seen my blog you might want to take a look as HT #2 focused almost exclusively on the crown.

If you'd like further advice posting pics would help.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

PMD, I think that 3000 is definitely more in line. You will get a noticeable cosmetic difference with 2500+ that might keep you out of the surgery room for awhile or good if you get near 4000. It all depends on your goals, money, laxity of donor, etc. Many guys are just trying to restore hairline and get some permanent coverage while others are trying to get as much density as possible.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Here's my advice.

NEVER EVER take the advice of anyone who has a disclaimer under their comments.

NEVER EVER take the advice of anyone who has more hair transplant forum postings then hairs on their head !

Use your common sense and intuition about having it done. Remember, they are in it for the money, not for you to have hair.

Try Rogaine first

what a freaking dick!!!

Originally posted by Starz3956:

Here's my advice.

NEVER EVER take the advice of anyone who has a disclaimer under their comments.

NEVER EVER take the advice of anyone who has more hair transplant forum postings then hairs on their head !

Use your common sense and intuition about having it done. Remember, they are in it for the money, not for you to have hair.

Try Rogaine first

Starz,

I can only assume you are talking about me. However, your statement:

"Remember, they are in it for the money, not for you to have hair."

is 100% INVALID. If you actually READ my disclaimer it says that I am NOT compensated by any doctor to be here. For many a time I've been here to receive support and now I am giving back support to those who need it.

Besides...I have had more grafts transplanted than posts icon_wink.gif

Additionally, if you actually took the time to READ PMD's posts, you'll see that he tried rogaine with no luck.

That being said...my guess is defending myself to you is a waste of time, so I'll leave it at that.

Bill

Starz,

Please don't be insulting the Master himself. Bill has spent numberous hours, unselfishly helping those in need of advise. He is NOT compensated for his efforts, nor is he affiliated with any doctor unless he is a shitty employee and has been bouncing from one job to the next. Possibly he'll be working for Shapiro next. icon_smile.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Starz: You are of no use to anyone on this board. You obviously are only here to stir up trouble and add uninformed commentary to those who know a Hell of a lot more than you do on this subject. Babble on if you must, but do not be surprised if the rest of us ignore you so as to save our time and energy for those who actually post here with good intentions.

I am on here to listen to people like Bill. Thanks again Bill. You can never have enough info before having Ht. I am just looking for input.

PMD-

Your crown is similar to mine before my 2nd HT. I'd say around 3200 or so of my grafts went into the crown so take a look for comparison.

I do believe you should plan on at least 3000 grafts for decent coverage on your crown. Is your hairline intact? Are you taking Finasteride to stave off further loss in the future?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks guys, I am not taking any drugs right now. My hairline is intact. I am going to see a local doctor on friday ( Bill's first HT doctor Kats). It sure does help to have some info walking in. Thanks again for the input.

PMD,

Let me know how your appt goes with Dr. Katz. Remember though...even though I think he does solid FUT work, be sure to consult a few other doctors. He is on the conservative side and rarely does dense packing. It's always wise to consult with at least 3 doctors anyway. Besides, as Hairbank said...you'd probably need about 3000+ grafts to get some decent density in the crown.

Bill

Not that this isn't common knowledge, but...

I wanted to weigh in and say that one of the reasons why helpful, sincere people like Bill post disclaimers is perhaps because many people assume that those who post favorable results about a particular doctor, or doctors, are shilling rather than simply sharing their results. So, if anything, his disclaimer gives him *added* credibility, not less...

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, You are right he is pretty conservative. He only wants to do about 1000 for the first session. He feels that it will take 2 sessions of about a 1000 a shot. I think that I like the conservative approach. What is the downside? thanks

PMD-

He's the Doc but I must admit I'm very puzzled by his approach. My crown was a little bigger area to cover than yours (not much), I had a little over 3000 of the grafts from HT #2 place in the crown and can tell you that while it's pretty much covered, it's still thin. The crown takes more grafts than the frontal 1/3 or midscalp to have the illusion of density.

I guess I would be asking why do 2 sessions of 1000 when you could easily get 1 session of 2000. Unless I'm missing something in the pics, your crown is pretty much gone so you have no concern of shock loss. I would guess you'd need more like 2500-3000 for any appearance of density.

The downside to having 2 session is: <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>it may be a little more expensive (usually you get a discount for anything over 2000 grafts, if that's all you get I guess it doesn't matter<LI>you have to go through it twice instead of once (i.e. surgery, healing, waiting to grow..)<LI>each time you have HT surgery your going to "waste" a certain number of grafts during the donor strip removal (200-300??)

Let me know how it goes and where you land. Good luck. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

hey Bill keep up the good work you have given great advise, that starz guy just doesnt have anything esle to do the dumb ass , thanks for all your advise and everyone else here too, (except starz) MANY MANY THANKS