looking for advice

Bill, Why do you think he is so conservative? Like you said it seems like most on the board are going for much larger Ht's. He seemed like he would never do over 1000 on someone like me. Do you think he has had a problem with dense packing? Thanks

PMD-

I'll let Bill respond to you on Katz being conservative...........but will offer that if you have an "open canvas" on which to work (your crown), I'm not sure what the downside is to dense packing it?? You may just want to ask that question and see what the response is. Quality physicians have been dense packing for some time now and there have been zero issues with reduced graft survival rates. The crown actually needs more grafts per sq cm for the appearance of density than the frontal 1/3 or midscalp.

Best of luck to you,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

The crown actually needs more grafts per sq cm for the appearance of density than the frontal 1/3 or midscalp.

I have come across the above statement several times in different threads. What I am wondering is: is this a scientific fact, or just something subjective you veterans have concluded after seeing so many HT photos?

If this is indeed true, does that mean it's better to be completely bald in the frontal area but a full crown then the other way around?

BTB-

From my prospective, nothing in HT "results" is scientific fact. It's all based on perception of appearance. If you look at a person from the front or profile, you see hair and then hair behind hair giving the illusion of sort of a "wall" of hair. I liken looking at the crown to looking down at the top of someones head where you're not looking and several varying rows of hair standing up, just flat hair laying on the scalp.

I would agree with your statement..................better to lose hair in the front than in the crown 'cause it takes more grafts for decent crown coverage.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

PMD,

Did Dr. Katz give you a reason why he wouldn't do more than 1000 on a guy like you? How is he defining "a guy like you"? Just wondering.

Being that you are 39 years old with a pretty close to bald crown, with hairloss under control (I assume you have good hair everywhere else?), I don't see any reason NOT to go for a larger session. 2 sessions of 1000 even when finished will STILL not give you outstanding results for that large of a balding area. I'd say you'd need at least 3000 to cover the entire area and give you decent density. Not to mention, you'd save money by getting one larger session at once since most docs discount after 2000 grafts!

I can't speak for Dr. Katz and dense packing in detail. His words to me once were something like "I dense pack when appropriate", which makes sense when you think about it, however I didn't think at the time as I was more new to this what he considered "appropriate". That being said...I'm really not sure what he considers dense packing verses other doctors. IMO, you are a perfect candidate for dense packing in the crown since you really don't have much hair left in that area, and you certainly need a larger session (whether or not you decide to do it in one, two, or three sessions) to give you what you need. I hope that helps.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, Well I did decide to go with Katz. I just really liked his aproach. I am new to all of this and I think for me that his conservative approach left me at ease. I has my HT done today. I am amazed on just how easy and non painfull it was. I went in today at 7;30 and was home by 12;30. I have felt No pain at all. I really appriacaite all of your help with this decision. I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again Pat

Hi Pat,

Congratulations on getting your HT done today. I am glad you are satisfied with your decision. As I said, Dr. Katz does solid FUT...so I wish you the best. Remember that you will not have a lot of density in the areas that were transplanted since you have opted for a smaller session. But the good news is, you can always go back for more. Plus, Dr. Katz does leave an amazing undetectable scar from what I've seen personally and in a few others I've seen.

I would love to see some before/ and immediately post op photos if you are willing to share them on this forum. If you don't want to go public, and you are willing to share them just with me, PM me.

Thanks my friend,

Bill

Hmm, I a bit baffled by the 1000 followed by another 1000. What would be the reason? I had pretty much the same crown and was told of my 3500 plus that more would be used on the crown. Doc said that even with 2000, it wouldn't be as full as the rest of the back of my head but was good with me as I could possibly thicken some of the existing with Proscar and I wanted to use some of the grafts to get some coverage up front. I can't imagine 1000 would have done much at all for me. Is there some plausable reason, besides wanting him to come back in for a second session? Not being critical, just baffled at that approach.

Hi AY & family

First of all Starz is just here to piss people off. If you recall, he did the same thing on another post. Very sad, as the core people on here really want to assist people with a enormous challenge which can really disable people socially. It is extremely disappointing to see a person make comments without any creditability or thought. Bill is a top notch guy with a focused drive to help people. If you insult him you insult all of us in the "round table"

Anyway, I am always for a more conservative approach & by no means am I a doctor. However, 1000 grafts these day is a bit low for a person needed 3500 or so. I am assuming there is no glaring medical reason for the low suggestion. If you look at my history I had 2 sessions of 1400 plus due to fear of shock loss and scalp laxity ( my first HT was 2 years ago). If you look, my most recent was 2124 and I did scalp exercises when helped greatly.. This is a conservative approach but not uncharacteristically low for a conservative doctor such as Dr. True or other similar coalition docs

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi AY & family

First of all Starz is just here to piss people off. If you recall, he did the same thing on another post. Very sad, as the core people on here really want to assist people with a enormous challenge which can really disable people socially. It is extremely disappointing to see a person make comments wit

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

First of all Starz is just here to piss people off. If you recall, he did the same thing on another post. Very sad, as the core people on here really want to assist people with a enormous challenge which can really disable people socially. It is extremely disappointing to see a person make comments without any creditability or thought. Bill is a top notch guy with a focused drive to help people. If you insult him you insult all of us in the "round table"

A comment must have been edited somewhere down the line because I see no posting about "Starz" on this thread nor an insult to me. So I must have missed it! But thanks for sticking up for me Jobi icon_smile.gif

But yes Andrew...I agree...the beauty of hindsight is that even looking at the way I did my surgeries...if I knew then what I knew now, I would have done it differently. That's not to knock Dr. Katz...but being at a NW5A, now a NW6 (or recovering NW6), I would have gotten 2 megasessions to get it all over with as opposed to smaller surgeries from the get go. This is why my advice to PMD was to get 1 surgery of about 3000 grafts rather than 1000 at a time. BUT, it's his decision and if he is satisfied after all his research, then who am I to knock him. The fact that he is going to a doctor who can provide good solid (though limited in number) results is a good thing. Now if he chose a doctor who typically yields inconsistent or negative results, I would have thrown out further caution.

Bill

Bill

Hi Bill

It is on the previous page.. This guy is just starting trouble, see below

Starz3956

New Real Hair Club Member

Posted March 03, 2007 08:04 PM Hide Post

Here's my advice.

NEVER EVER take the advice of anyone who has a disclaimer under their comments.

NEVER EVER take the advice of anyone who has more hair transplant forum postings then hairs on their head !

Use your common sense and intuition about having it done. Remember, they are in it for the money, not for you to have hair.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by AndrewYoung:

Hmm, I a bit baffled by the 1000 followed by another 1000. What would be the reason? I had pretty much the same crown and was told of my 3500 plus that more would be used on the crown. Doc said that even with 2000, it wouldn't be as full as the rest of the back of my head but was good with me as I could possibly thicken some of the existing with Proscar and I wanted to use some of the grafts to get some coverage up front. I can't imagine 1000 would have done much at all for me. Is there some plausable reason, besides wanting him to come back in for a second session? Not being critical, just baffled at that approach.

Andrew-

If you have the donor hair....no reason not to harvest 3500 for the crown. As I mentioned to you, I was similar, had more than 3000 in the crown and it's still thin.

You'll hear for and agains for the larger sessions. I am a proponent of them because, assuming all things equal, the same person can save money and time by having more grafts in one session. IMO, when reviewing potential Doc's you need to choose some that have the ability to deliver mega sessions of the larger sizes.

Good luck,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

JOBI,

Oh yes, I remember Starz and that particular post. It's just the way I read your message, I thought maybe Andrew referenced starz or something which is what triggered your comment. The only other reference to starz on this thread was above by rafael I believe and that was from March 20th. So I was a little confused :P.

Bill

Bill,

I like that. 'A recovering NW6'. Kinda like AA. I think I am going to use it if you don't mind me stealing it. Although I am a 'recovering NW3v bordering 4' so that is kinda long. I think its probably just better to go with 'Recovering NW4' so I think I'm going with that on my profile! In fact, I am hoping perhaps more would adopt that so I wouldn't have to guess or look over at their blog page to see where they started.

I also like how B Spot, Gorpy and others post the hair breakdowns as well. As Pat says, Count Hairs not Grafts (i.e. More slices doesn't make the pizza bigger). I am working on getting my final count and hopefully will have my answer on Monday to add to my posts.

Andrew,

Sure brother...I don't mind if you use it. But since I have it patented, you just have to pay a fee of $100 (US money) to the "Bill Clone Technology Fund" everytime you use it, verbally or written :P.

Yes, I like hair breakdowns as well...I think I MIGHT try to go back to my doctors and get the breakdowns if I can. I did get a breakdown from Dr. Hasson, I just haven't posted it yet.

Happy Resurrection Day bro!

Bill