Dr. Frayser

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and I wished I had found this before I had my HT.

Has anyone ever had a HT done by Dr. Scott Frayser at The Hair Transplant Center in Tulsa? I just had 800 grafts (supposedly FU) done about 6 days ago. Now here is my problem, my grafts were put in by 2 assistants, I didnt even notice the doctor in the room at all. All he did was ask a few questions in his office, then we went to the surgical room where he gave me seditives and injected me to numb my scalp, while he also cut my donar area and sutered me up along with Betty Studier. After that the assistants drew my hairline, used a needle looking tool to make holes in my head and then began to put the grafts into my scalp. Dr. Frayser was nowhere to be seen during that. I thought the Dr was supposed to overlook the HT and such. Because I was sorta out of it from the valium, I couldnt really tell how my grafts were dissected if they were at all...I'm just wondering if anyone has had a HT by Dr. Frayser and what was the experience like, did the hair grow? I'm 23 years old and have been on propecia for 6 months. I have a picture of my HT before and after...because I'm new to all this I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on it so far from what it looks. Anything would be appreciated!!!

Thank you

1st_Day_of_HT.jpg.c595fb2720f376240562cded52431b96.jpg

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your doctor. It is actually common practice in the industry for the techs to place the grafts in the incisions. What is HIGHLY unusual is that they would actually make the incisions themselves. This should be done exclusively by the doctor.

I also would not like the techs drawing out my hairline. A good doctor should have years of experience and a sense of artistry as to where the hairline should be drawn.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• Administrators

Andy7,

I've gotten very little feedback about Dr. Frayser and or the Hair Transplant Center. I agree with Gorpy that it is typical for the medical tech to place most if not all of the grafts these days. But the physician should be designing the hairline at a minimum.

At this point you will simply need to wait in order to see what results you ultimately get. Judging from your photos you look like you got a standard procedure that is not particularly refined or dense. But I expect that you will experience a net gain in hair.

Are you on Propecia/Finasteride? You should really consider it to maintain your existing hair. You can save a considerable amount by getting a prescription for Proscar, which has the same active ingrediant (FInasteride) as Propecia and then cut the proscar pill, which has a 5 mg dose of Finasteride into quarters so that it has the approximate dose of Finasteride as Propecia's 1mg dose.

As for the clinics before and after photos shown on their site at http://www.hairtransplantcenter.com/photographs.htm, I'm underwhelmed. If this is their showcase work they have some learning to do.

I hope that you stay active with this forum community and come to expect and get the very best.

Best wishes for good growing. Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Andy,

Thanks for sharing your photos and concerns with us, your concerns are certainly justified.

The doctor should have designed your hairline and made ALL incisions. Techs can place grafts, that is fine.

I am hoping things turn out well with your procedure, it very well may despite the lack of care shown by your doctor.

You are young and have plenty of donor hair left if you need future procedures, stay informed and choose a better doc next round.

Good luck my friend,

NoBuzz

Reading this thread really concerns me, I wonder if there is a possibility that because of the meds things are a little fuzzy and the techs only placed the grafts?

I certainly hope that the techs are not drawing the hairline and making the incisions. I think there needs to be some follow up on that clinic if that is the case. B Spot---get em boy, get em!

I truly hope that things work out ok. It does look like the transplant will be decent enough but only time will tell of the true artistry and skill. I really pray there is some luck happening here.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Funny you should mention this NN--- I already called this clinic at the behest of a fellow sufferer in May of '06 icon_biggrin.gif

The clinic is part owned by a man named Tom Campbell who is unwilling to speak with any educated patients whatsoever.

Once they found I was not a potential patient, they could not lose my # fast enough. After a week of calling them, I gave up!

I think they use outdated technology and methods to transplant 1000-2000 mini/micros and primarily advertise their clinic on the benefits of lower cost.

TRUST ME when I say you cannot be using the best equipment or keep a top quality staff on 2.40 a graft--- unless you do 2-3 patients a day, without trimming grafts and using incisions large enough to see without any magnification.

The good part for Andy7 is that he only used 800 grafts. The grafts will provide density an should be hidden in your native hair until you thin further.

Chalk it up to the game and do some quality research for HT #2.

Take Care and Good Luck!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

B-Spot,

With all the fact checking and investigative digging your doing these days we may have to give you an award for the category of "Hair Transplant Investigative Reports".

Thanks for your efforts.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Maybe we could buy the B Spot one of those fake stick on bald scalps (since he's so hairy now), so he could go in undercover and pose like a bald guy seeking a transplant icon_biggrin.gif

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Andy,

I'm reading this thread a little late, but I'll echo the fact that it would be highly unusual for techs to make the incisions and draw the hairline. Additionally, I'd say it seems unusual that valium (unless given in high dosage) would make someone that out of it, at least, to the point of not knowing what is going on.

I agree with everyone else...the hair transplant does look pretty standard...not that dense or highly refined, but as long as you don't lose more hair (which is why it's important to get on finasteride), you will end up with more hair than when you started.

B Spot...wow, another clinic you contacted....kudos to you bro. It's always BAD news when a clinic doesn't want to talk to educated patients...seems as if they would be trying to hide something. At best case scenerio, they just don't want to talk to you because they are in it for the money only...and that in itself is still something to be concerned about.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

In response to the remarks about Hair Transplant Center:

I am a former patient and I have had two procedures at this clinic. I could not be more pleased with the results.

Since I feel that HTC is much to professional to respond to the item in this chat room, I want to take it on myself to do it for them.

Tom Campbell can talk with anyone. Education has nothing to do with the way he speaks to prospective patients. I am an attorney and a sitting judge with a Masters Degree and am in the process of writing my thesis to obtain my PhD.

I consider myself to be an educated person. When I spoke with Tom he was very knowledgeable, informative and very professional.

Dr. Frayser was involved in every aspect of my procedure. I think his staff is outstanding. As for the hairline, I believe you would find it impossible to find a medical school or a resident program anywhere in the world that teaches a doctor how to draw a hairline!

Dr. Frayser's staff made recommendations to me on the placement of the hairline, but I ultimately made the final decision on where I wanted it.

I would recommend Hair Transplant Center to anyone who is looking for the highest quality work and an affordable price.

Sincerely,

Judge D.

The_Judge,

Nice of you to sign up to shill for HTC. Since you are more than likely an employee of the clinic (or maybe even the doctor himself), could you please fully disclose your relationship to this clinic for us? Also, how can a doctor be "much too professional" to respond to patients' concerns about their procedure? If your results are really great, we'd all love to see the before and after photos. Otherwise, as a newbie, you probably don't realize yet that posts like yours do the clinic's reputation more harm than good.

Judge, I respect your level of education and professional success. It takes dedication to achieve your level of success, and your level of education.

With that said...... you have no idea what you are talking about.

This is the Hair Transplant industry, not a courtroom.

Logically speaking, you CANNOT run a technologically superior, fully staffed, and fully functional hair transplant clinic on the cost per graft this clinic charges.

I attempted to call your Tom Campbell for almost 2 weeks, only to be dodged repeatedly.

Do you want to know why?

Because I asked what type of instrumentation they used and if they used stereo-microscopic dissection on EVERY patient. I asked how many technicians they employ and how long his staff has been with him. I asked him about his session sizes, donor tissue removal, what type of slitting methods they use, etc.....

Let me assure you, Mr. Campbell's biggest fear is someone like me calling his clinic or walking through his door.

This is not some game where we let a Doctor perform guesswork in a trenchcoat on uninformed patients suffering from baldness.

Your long list of professional accomplishments mean nothing here----- Here you are just another bald guy looking for an answer to your prayers.

Trust me, that is not in the hands of Dr. Frayser or nurse Betty in my opinion.

If you are going to offer some form of rebuttal, I suggest you post CLEAR, HIGH RESOLUTION, before, during and after surgery photos to back up your arguments.

If your planning to offer the type of work that was performed on Happyhair, please spare us.

Sorry if my post is offensive, overly blunt or a "tad" inconsiderate.

We just INTENSELY dislike snake-oil salesmen who represent a third rate butcher shop that specializes in a drive through window approach to hair transplantation.

Nothing personal, of course icon_biggrin.gif

(Jordan fades back..... shoots......... SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!)

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Wow B Spot that was beautiful. That is damn near an academy. It reminded my of Tom Cruise cross examining Jack Nicholsen in a Few Good Men.

Wow! Absolutely stunning. Well stated. Can I borrow that whole speech in the future?

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by The_Judge:

I am an attorney and a sitting judge with a Masters Degree and am in the process of writing my thesis to obtain my PhD.

and who gives a f_ck, even if you're not lying?

If true--and I seriously doubt it--all that school didn't prevent you from getting screwed.

I agree with the comments posted - excluding 'The Judge' of course!

Andy - hang in there. It appears as though mini and micro grafts were used since your post-op looks like my post-op days at Bosley. As others have mentioned, though, don't fret: you have plenty of donor hair left and by reading and informing yourself of the latest advances in HT surgery, you will be well armed for HT number 2.

Pat, you posted a link to their photos... wow - those have to be some of the worst photos I've ever seen. They are not only 'thumbnail' size, but I would have a difficult time discerning between 'before' and 'after' (if not clearly labeled)...

B-Spot - you are the investigative reporter! Great work!!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• 4 years later...

'B Spot' is exactly right. User 'Judge D.' is either Dr. Scott Frayser, Tom Campbell or Betty Studier of the Hair Transplant Center in Tulsa, OK.

Avoid this clinic like the plague. Saving a bit of money for a pluggy hair procedure will cost you more grief and more money in the long run.

I had a 200 'micro' procedure; side temples only to fill in my hairline at Nurse Betty's clinic in Tulsa in 2005. The results looked pluggy and uneven, sparse and asymmetrical. First of all, the clinic's owner and sales rep Tom Campbell pretended to be Dr Scott Frayser during my telephone consultation (I live in Canada and did my consultation online and via phone). When I met Dr Frayser on the day of the procedure I instantly knew that I had been duped. Tom Campbell admitted to being the person I spoke too over the phone (posing as Dr. Frayser) when I questioned him after the procedure.

I can confirm that Dr Frayser only performs the strip excision and the 'hamburger' suturing which left me with a 1.5 inch long scar that was elevated and 8mm in thickness. The doctor left the room at that point never to return to the procedure. They gave me a Valium before the procedure (this is their way of making the patient more 'relaxed' or less aware of what who's doing what to them) and then Nurse Betty Studier drew the hairline to my requested specifications. I was expecting to get 400 - 500 single hair micro grafts. Nurse Betty and her assistant made the recipient holes and implanted 200 mini and micro grafts to my receding temples on both sides. Much to my dismay the placement of the grafts looked horrible; with both sides asymmetrical. The assistants placed 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5-hair follicular units in my front temples (and yes one or two of these grafts had 5 hairs and were placed in the front sides of my hairline!) when I was promised only single hair grafts in the front 2 cm of my hairline. When the grafts grew in months later I could not count more than 100 grafts! Either they lied about he number of grafts and they took the lazy route of just implanting 100 large grafts rather than 200 micro grafts, or the grafts simply did not grow due to her poor surgical technique in the the placement of the grafts.

I recently went to Hasson & Wong and had Dr Wong repair my front hair line. He removed 50 of the front, large and poorly placed pluggy grafts and placed 450 single hairs in my front hairline. I'm now two weeks post-op and extremely happy that I chose this great doctor to repair Nurse Betty's horrific hack job. Dr Wong was surprised at how thick my previous strip excision scar was. He has since repaired my scar during this latest procedure and has used staples instead of sutures; here's hoping this new scar heals thinner and less conspicuous than Dr Frayser's sloppy handiwork.

Edited by Nosferatu1978

Hello everyone,

I was looking for information on the Tulsa Transplant center and I stumbled upon this thread. I registered because I have had 2 procedures performed at the Tulsa center and I'm going to share my experiences.

On the good side, I can't say anything bad them personally. The staff was very courteous. The office manager was as helpful as he could be and I feel like they gave me honest answers to all of my questions.

On the bad side....in reading several threads, I am realizing that many of my concerns have merit. Because they are my only experience, I assumed that what I experienced was typical protocol for a hair transplant, when many of these issues could (and likely should) have been avoided.

Like nosferatu says, there was a large scar at the incision. I also questioned to myself why Dr. Frayser had such little involvement with the procedure. One of my procedures was done during the afternoon and I think he might have left for the day before the procedure was complete. I don't remember seeing him after the incision was made, but I was informed that he had called in some pain medication at the local wal greens when the procedure was complete. Also the numbing medication began to wear off as the procedure went on and it was very painful.

As for results, I don't think they did a terrible job, but I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with the results by any means. The difference in hair density is too apparent, especially in the hair line area. In some pictures, I don't look like I have a hair line. The density is so poor and the light hits it where you can see directly to my scalp.

But to be fair, I have had people tell me that they can't tell that some of my hair is implanted. But I should also mention that I make sure that my hair always has volume because if my hair is flat, the implanted hair sticks out like a sore thumb....or at least to me it does.

• 1 year later...

I came across this forum because I am currently considering getting a second HT. The post seemed the most pertinent to my experience. There seems to be plenty of other posts immediately after surgery but they mean nothing because it takes 6 months to a year to really see what the results are.

I had a HT at Tulsa Hair Transplant Center back in 2006. I was considering going back there but after reading somes posts I realize that many of my concerns have merit.

I went there and got "1000 grafts" but there is no way I got over 400. I don't care what anybody says, where there is a blood spot is where you recieved a transplant. You will bleed where they poke a hole. I was concerned about the apparent density after my surgery and when my hair grew in months later my suspicions were confirmed. Hairs only grew where there were spots and there were definitely not 1000. When I called them to question it they said they did 1000 grafts. I said it looks pretty thin and they said to get the desired results I would need another HT. This was never mentions up to this point.

I too thought it was odd that how little Dr. Frayser was involved. I got the impression that he was only hired to meet the minimum legal obligation to fill subsciptions and cut out the donor area. I had the classic U shape and Nurse Betty did one side and the assistant did the other side. Apparently they were not on the same page because one side appeared to have half the density of the other, as confirmed when it grew in.

I got the feeling that they count on your compromised state of consiousness so that you don't question their methods too much. They want to get you out the door and on the plane. After I checked in I found out that they do at least two surgeries a day. It was apparent that they were rushed so they could get in the afternoon patient.

I wasn't sure if I had recieved a quality HT because, let's face it, I could not compare it any other transplants I had done on my own head. My results after grow in? Mediocre, I never felt comfortable combing my hair back as my hairline never looked natural enough. For these last seven years I have had to wear bangs.

Visiting their website, it appears they have a new doctor now, but I get the impression that the business practices are the same. Speaking of the website, I noticed that it is nearly exactly the same as it was seven years ago, and it wasn't very good back then. It has the same two or three examples.

I also noticed on this thread and previous threads how obvious it is when someone representing the clinic replies. So go ahead.

Bottom line for Tulsa Hair Transplant Clinic: You get what you pay for -- minus a few hundred grafts.