Working Out Post Op?

Just wondering how long you should wait for an HT to heal properly before you start getting active again like working out and playing sports? Also, I've heard something somewhere that lifting weights cand increases hairloss. Just wondering if this is true? Maybe a dumb question, but thought I'd still ask.

danger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering how long you should wait for an HT to heal properly before you start getting active again like working out and playing sports? Also, I've heard something somewhere that lifting weights cand increases hairloss. Just wondering if this is true? Maybe a dumb question, but thought I'd still ask.

danger

Hi Danger,

Generally speaking, HT procedures have improved in reducing the size or invasion of the recipient sites made. In former days when micros and minis were used, the industry was concerned that possibly some might lose or possibly "pop" the grafts back out related to heavy exertion and/or heavy cardiovascular activity like weightlifting, running, etc. In fact alot of HT surgeons employed the use of pre-op coagulants like Vitamin K (Mephyton)to thicken the blood by the day of the procedure. My premonition is that some still utilize it. I would like to think that all of the HT surgeons are making their recipient sites as least invasive as possible.

The other issue is the suture line if you elect to have a strip harvest. Sometimes one can re-open the area or cause subsequent bleeding between the sutures if too much pressure or exertion is applied too soon following the procedure. As remote a possibility as this may seem, it never hurts to be safe and wait a week before engaging in that type of activity. Considering what a HT costs, it never hurts to wait and it is good to see that you want to protect your investment. Best wishes Danger. icon_wink.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I was advised to wait 1 month before I could even jog. It wasn't until 3 months that I could lift weights & wrestle while feeling little or no tension in the donor area. So I'd say plan for 1-3 months off from normal exercise.

Yes, for about 4-6 weeks you do not want to cause extra blood flow in/out of your head with strong excerices or sports.

Take 4 weeks off-- it's good anyway to let your body recover once and a while. Then the 5th week start out with very very very light weights-- and do high reps-- 15-20 reps that do not cause you to strain or excert yourself. This will allow the blood to get into your muscles and work the soreness out. Do this for 3 weeks. Then by the end of month 2, you should be able to slowly get back into your regiment.

You dont want to strain and stretch your donor site scar.

WHOA WHOA WHOA !!!

Fellas, 4-6 weeks, 1-3 months?!? Are you joking?! You don't have to wait 3 months after open heart surgery. Before I found this site, I went to Bosley for information, (Yes, I know they are terrible, but hear me out) on their post-op instructions they advised about 8-9 days of sedentary activity, and about on the 10th day you could resume normal activity. (That is just one example) I just had a procedure by Dr. Epstein who we all know to be one of the best, and his post-op instructions said you could resume normal activity on the 5th day, and weights on the 7th or 8th day. If the procedure is done properly with minimal incision holes (I believe .8-1.2 mm), it is extremely unlikely you will disturb those grafts with blood flow after a week. I would say most of us in here lead somewhat of an active lifestyle, and a 1-3 month layoff is basically torture to some of us athletes in here. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, just thought I would put in my two cents and hope this helps Danger.

Jeff Bowers

jr1, you're probably right when you say working out with heavy weights probably won't affect the sites where the incisions were made, but I believe most people's concern lies in the donor area. Stretching the scar is my major concern. Yesterday was 1 month post op for me and I'm just now starting to lift weights again, very very carefully.

Danger ??“ You said:

"I've heard something somewhere that lifting weights cand increases hairloss."

I think that this perception is attributed to two things:

1) I have read numerous articles on the possibility that creatine (which is very popular with people that work out and rightfully so) can contribute to hair loss. Perhaps many people that were lifting were also using creatine and simply blamed their hair loss on working out altogether.

2) Working out can increase your testosterone levels. So the naturally assumption would be that increased testosterone levels = increased DHT production = more hair loss. I have not seen any evidence that this is true, however.

Being active and hitting the weights coupled with a comprehensive cardiovascular program has too many benefits to count. I am sure that I don't have to tell you that. I continue to work out but I did drop creatine from my regimen. I read a statement written by Dr. Edwin Epstein that stated that he has had an abundance of patients that worked out frequently, denied the use of steroids, and all took creatine. One would assume (hopefully assume, anyway) that stopping creatine would allow the hair to come back but my stance on any type of medication or supplementation is "better safe than sorry."

As far as lifting after a hair transplant ??“ I was advised to take it easy the first 3 or 4 weeks. No powerlifting, no exercises that would put stain on the donor scar like squats, deadlifts, etc.

I am 11 ?? weeks out and I still take it easy ??“ perhaps too easy...haha. I do squats and deadlifts, but I am not going for any personal weight records right now. I am thinking that I will give myself another month or so before I feel comfortable putting a whole lot of strain in that area. So, from 3 weeks to around 3 months I would say that it is safe to workout, just don't be lifting Buicks. After 3 months I would think that it would be safe to go for it.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I am 4 weeks today, and the only time my heartrate has gotten up was with the old lady.

I plan on getting back on the gym in a week with light weights and cardio.

I waited 5 YEARS for my HT, i'm NOT gonna risk spitting my scar open to get back in the gym hard a couple weeks early. I have really cleaned up my diet over the last few weeks though, knowing that I can't work out for a month, so I have kept the fat from creeping onto my waist more than it would have.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Now what about manual labour jobs? I plan on taking 2 weeks off, before I go back to work. I do allot of lifting. What about this? My main concern is the scar here. By no means do I want to stretch it at all. Thanks again fellas.

danger

You will be able to tell if you're ready to get back into lifting. If you do an exercise that really tenses your scar area, stop and give it some more time off. Eventually you will be able to lift and won't notice any tension in the donor area.

danger,

As far as manual labor goes, I would just recommend using good ol' common sense. Think about an action before you perform it and ask yourself "is this going to put strain on that part of my body?" I would definitely try to refrain from picking up very heavy objects for at least 3 or 4 weeks if not longer. Just like borderlinehairline said: use good form if you absolutely have to.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

If you go back to heavy intense workouts 8 days after surgery-- the chances are that you will stretch your donor scar. You need to wait a month to make sure the donor area is 70% healed.

As far as creatine causing hairloss, due to the mechanism of action of creatine, I see no way that it can effect hair folliculars or testosterone??? Andro and other test precusors can increase testosterone levels and as a result can cause hairloss-- but not creatine which doesnt have any effect on test levels.

But if you stopped to be on the safe side, that's 100% way to make sure it doesnt effect hairloss.

I would also caution on excercise that causes extreme persperation within the first 10 days due to possible site infection. You want to keep you recepiant site serile and clean during initial healing.

I disagree with many in this thread. Dr. Shapiro's literature says it's OK to resume regular exercise such as running 10 days after a transplant and five days for mild exercise.

I just had 1700 grafts from Dr. William Parsley in Louisville and his literature states you can resume light jogging after five days and regular running after seven. In my particular case I was running six miles daily within a week of my surgery.

I'll comment further on Dr. Parsley in the future but he really deserves some kudos. Although he isn't mentioned much here, he is considered a mentor and role model by many of the younger transplant surgeons. What has really taken me back is after my surgery I had no pain whatsoever - absolutely none. And I can't really say there was even any tenderness in the donor area. I believe much of that is due to Dr. Parsley's surgical skills.

I agree with you Scribe however the other comments about avoiding activities that would potentially place undue pressure or pull on the suture line should be taken seriously. Activity like sit-ups, chin tucks, head rotations, etc. The interior layer of scalp tissue (dermis) takes longer to heal and does not have the benefit of air circulation like the outside layer, epidermis. Glad to hear of your "positive" HT experience!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Exactly as Gillenator put it:

I have said this before, but I feel that it is necessary that when you saved up so much money and anticipation for a hair transplant procedure, you want to be "better safe than sorry" to make sure that you reap the absoulute BEST benefit from it in regards to the donor area and recipient area.

-Robert

DIDDO to Gellenator-- you must shed to the caution side with extreme workouts. Scribe, most docs who say you can resume excercises a 1-2 weeks out usually assume "normal person's excersies" like jogging (not stadium stairs, or high impact cardio- triatholons ect), and light average weight training-- not bodybuilding, or power lifting extreme weigth training. If you are an intense athlete (or weekend warrior) I would be VERY VERY cautious.

My experince: ex pro athlete and multi HT patient over 15 yrs!

Smoothy,

You make a good point about "average" or "light" training. I think the HT docs should be a little more definitive in their post-op instructions so that a distinction is made. And you are absolutely right, people work out at entirely varying levels of intensity. Protect that investment!

Gillenator

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking it would be okay for me to get back to some light cycling (maybe 20-25 minutes) after 7-10 days from the surgery.

I'll get back to weights (light ones) hopefully after 2 weeks, and then a normal routine after a full month.

I think this is where being only 20 is a good thing, in the post-op healing process.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

I think a little common sense goes a long way. If you had your head cut open & sewn I don't think heavy squats are a good idea anytime soon.

If it hurts or you feel pressure, I would'nt do it

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you "can" start back within a couple of weeks and the grafts aren't a concern, but the scar may be. I'm going in for my 2nd HT next week and plan to take off a month, then start working out again and see how I feel. I guess you just have to do what you're comfortable with.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Slow and easy wins the race. Like Hairbank said, you can start back after a couple of weeks when the grafts are no longer a concern, but the scar will be something to think about for at least a few months. Anything that forces your chin to your chest is a definite no-no for at least a couple of months (in my conservative opinion) and anything that forces your chin to your chest while you are really exherting yourself should be avoided for even longer.

My plan the last time around was that I started running and did push-ups at around 2 weeks post-op. I started lifting at around 1 month, but took it fairly easy. At around 3 months, I went back to normal, but was still conscious of the area.

This may be a bit conservative to the more "die hard" guys out there, but I don't want to take the risk of stretching that scar.

-Robert