Propecia Poll

I've been using it since it came out ( 8 years or so)

YES, stabilized my hairloss and regrow a bit

I know because I don't have a sink full of hair

No side effects

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I hate the stuff. It has made me severely depressed when taking it daily. I have started taking it every other day a couple of weeks ago. I feel a little better but definately not like I did pre-propecia. I might stop taking it altogether if I don't improve shortly.

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:

hairdini: thanks for the response. I have never tried propecia, hence the poll. So, I personally have no idea of the side effects and what it entails. But, on the same token, I have heard such a wide array of complaints from guys that I wonder if sometimes its in the head of the individual. I know that when I have just begun taking medication in the past, I immedietally start questioning everything Im feeling and begin to attribute it to the drug (i.e. cocaine, heroin, etc. etc...) NO, SERIOUSLY though, I have never heard of any chemical interactions regarding propecia that would contribute to depression.

So, just out of curiosity are you somewhat of a hypochondriac in general? Do you or have you taken any other medications or are you somewhat precautious when it comes to medication? Once again, I appreciate your input and Im in NO WAY discounting it. I just thought I would inquire further as to your side effects as they are somewhat atypical and wanted to hear how you view/ response to most pharmecutical therapies.

Hi all

I'm no doctor but I do know the placebo effect and some of the side effect claims I have heard on here are a bit excessive.. It is very similiar to the causes of hairloss people come up with on here as well.

This is not to say there are no possible side effect risks, there are. With that being said, people will associate any issue with a belived cause just like the newbies on here claiming that protein powders, shampoos, hats, or whatever cause hairloss..

Correlation does not equate to causation..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

without discounting Hairdini at all (whom I would like to hear from again) I agree with you. I believe sometimes its:

(i) a pshycological issue (i.e. one is so paranoid about taking the medication that they have a psychosomatic response in which their mind is telling their body something is wrong and as a result something feels wrong); or

(ii) causation / correlation: just because one event preceeds another does not mean that it is the cause of the latter event.

Regardless, I would like to hear as much information from as many individuals as possible. Hell, maybe I fall into one of the two afore mentioned categories and that is why I havent taken propecia yet. I would especially like to hear more autobiographical info from the individuals (such as hairdini) who have such atypical results.

I'm definitely not a hypochondriac. I have never taken any drug before this in my life other than antibiotics and the occasional pain killer. I have also been blessed with remarkable health all of my life. So I have no history of thinking things are worse than they actually are. I have found myself sleeping in excess of 12 hours straight regularly since taking this drug. Before taking this drug I would usually sleep 6 or 7 hours. I've found it also has taken away my motivation to get up and do things. The only reason I'm taking it is because my Doctor said that it's a good idea to be on this drug until something better comes along. She told me this before I started taking the drug. I have not yet mentioned to her my difficulties because I wanted to make sure I wasn't in some sort of wierd phase. To tell you the truth I don't think my hairloss will ever exceed a norwood class 4. Based on that I'm seriously considering just stopping the drug and get another HT in the future if I need to. My HT experience was great and doesn't remotely compare to any of the complications I've had with this drug. I personally don't trust the drug industry as a whole and hate to be putting anything in my body that I don't need to. Perhaps my vanity has caused me to sway from what I believe. Anyways...I realize my experience is just that and yours may be completely different. So go ahead and try it and if you don't like it you can always stop.

I'm 35 years old. I have a receding front hairline and no hairloss anywhere else. I started noticing recession about 5 years ago. It has been fairly slow. Right now my hair looks great and nobody would no I suffer from hairloss. I had 1700 graphs with Keene about 5 months ago.

hairdini,

thats good. sounds like you have had minimal loss, and from what you have posted, are happy with your results. Ive never had a ht. Did your doc strongly recommend you stay on propecia after your ht?

Five months is not that long ago. Your already happy with your results? thats good news as it can only get better from here on out. So your planning on discontinuing the use of propecia altogether? You didnt experience any of the other typical sexual side effects (i.e. impotence, lack of libido?)...I was considering taking it STRICTLY for the lack of libido aspect. My horniness has gotten me in ALOT of trouble lately...

appreciate the input. just trying to gather as much info as possible.

-using 2 years

-believe there is some benefit

-had side effects so changed dosage

-now take 1mg every other day or every 3 days

*Stopped at one point for about 6 months and didn't see much different one way or the other. Started to take again because general consensus is that you should to maximize HT. In all honesty will likely stop taking at some point as I don't believe that it does enough to warrant possible long term sides and don't like to feel "trapped" into taking.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN: thanks. You mentioned that you stopped taking it for six months and didnt really see any difference, this is precisely why Im asking these questions. It seems that most guys just assume its working (and Im sure it does on some) but if one is assuming it is halting or stopping the loss, then I wonder how do they even know? Unless your hairloss is extremely rapid (which mine is not) then you wouldnt know what its doing, if anything, for many years. In my case I would say at least 5-8 years, since I havent really noticed a significant loss in my hair in the past 5-8 years.

Long term sides: what are they?

That's a good question. Precisely my point. The drug has not been on the market all that long to tell us what long term sides might be. I'd rather not find out. There are several drugs on the market that after several years of being assumed safe, they are suddenly recalled. You just never know with the pharmaceutical industry. These things aren't being produced out of their love of mankind.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

On Fin for a little more than 6 months and I believe it has halted my loss, like others too early to tell. i am a NW 3 and would end up a nw 6 without meds we shall see. I think too many psych themselves out with the whole side effects of the drug. Don't get me wrong it is obviously possible, I think its more psychological than anything....

You only live once...

No guy

That is a little exaggerated. Some small percentage have claimed to have sexula dysfunctions..

Also, some stand corrected. Finasteride HAS been on the market for a while to treat prostate problems. This is not a new drug so there a bit of history with the side effects / long term effects.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I choose not to get into debates as to what could potentially happen in the future with extended use of the drug because the TRUTH is that no one knows. It really has been on the market for a limited time even when it was used for prostate problems. I'm not here to ever create hysteria over possible side effects, but I will never dismiss things by telling people not to worry about it. These are foreign to our bodies and likely after extended use a person might experience some problems. Please educate yourself and don't trust only my word or someone elses.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90