Question About Rogaine

Hi all.

I'm five weeks post-op and keep putting off using Rogaine.

My Doc suggested using it on the recipient area for three months.

He then suggested after three months just continue use on my crown.

I'm currently using propecia (1.25 daily)and also msm 2000mg/day..biotin 2g/daily.

I kinda want to stay away from the Rogaine.

Has anyone seen a real speed-up of growth with Rogaine ??

Does anyone feel there is a real dis-advantage not using Rogaine ??

I heard when first using the Rogaine you can trigger a loss of hair....I want to avoid this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

More_hair

Hi More_hair,

Congrats on your recent surgery. Since you're already on propecia, you should try rogaine. I don't think rogaine by itself is all that effective, but when used with propecia, it can have tremendous results. The downside of rogaine use is that you have to pretty much stay on it forever. Any hairs gained or retained from propecia and rogaine will shed quickly if you stop taking either of the meds.

Thanks Janna.

I see your responses on here all the time...very informative.

I'm ok with taking propecia (been on it for over a year).

Do you agree that I should use the Rogaine on the recipient for just three months post-op ??

Kind've a jump start I guess.

In this case I wouldn't mind using it.

After the three months I would just use it on the crown at night...forever.

Thanks,

More_hair

"I see your responses on here all the time...very informative."

Thanks so much...glad you think so. I have to admit, I've been on this forum a bit more than I should be lately.

I do agree with applying rogaine on recipient site after surgery, but I wouldn't stop after 3 months. I hope you can continue to apply it all over the top (even in the front) at night forever. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Hey Janna.

I'm just curious.

From what i understand...if you discontinue Rogaine after using it awhile you will most likely lose what you gained/saved.

I was under the understanding that this is true only in the crown area.

The "new' hair in the recipient area is basically safe (permanent).

What I'm getting at is the Rogaine in the recipient area is just to speed up the "new" hairs... is it not ??

But the rogaine use in the crown area is a lifelong commitment...along with propecia.

I know it seems like I'm prolonging this question.

I just don't want to start Rogaine and be stuck with it.

I can deal with using it on the crown area

forever...but hesitant to apply this stuff on my entire head forever.

Thanks,

More-hair

I'm sorry, I was going with the assumption that you have some native hairs all over. You're right, the transplanted hairs will grow regardless of rogaine. We recommend to our patients to apply rogaine for couple months after surgery to jumpt start the growth too. A lot of our patients who use rogaine and propecia seem to see earlier growth. If you only have native hairs left in the crown, then yes, apply to crown only.

Janna.

Only I can confuse a simple question....lol.

I DO have existing native hair on top.

I had roughly my frontal 1/3...maybe a bit further back..done with 2800+graphs.

My crown was basically untouched.(it's about the size of an egg)

I will confront my crown with a possible 2nd procedure.

Are you saying the rogaine will help native hairs on top in the future.

This is where I have my facts wrong I guess.

I thought these drugs (propecia,rogaine)only had a real effect on the crown.

If you're saying Rogaine can effect the top (frontal 1/2) in the future...maybe i'll have to re-think this....and use it.

Thanks Janna,

More_hair

I don't think rogaine by itself is all that effective, but when used with propecia, it can have tremendous results

Hmmm, is there any known reason for propecia to be boosting the effetiveness of the rogaine? Or is it just one of those things where there is a synergistic effect between the two that is obvious, and the why just isn't currently known.

Btw, More, from what I understand the official testing and trials for the drugs was focused on the crown, and so the products' official statements don't actually guarantee to be working on like the hairline. However, with rogaine in particular, I have heard a *ton* of relatively credible anecdotal evidence that rogaine can work very well on the frontal areas for some people, even the hairline.

I personally have a friend whose frontal 1/3rd grew like a chia pet when he added rogaine.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

More_hairs,

Thana took the words right out of my mouth.

Thanks Thana, and also for chiming in cuz I felt like I was hogging the thread.

I don't know the reason or reasons why they work well together, but I've seen so many positive results when used together.

My understanding is that the rogaine will increase blood circulation which is why it may help speed HT grwoth in the hairline...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

More_Hair,

Janna has givien you some excellent advice. To maximize the potential of non surgical hair loss treatments, consider using both Propecia and Rogaine combined. You might however, want to wait until your hair transplant grows out in order to determine whether or not you feel that you need to include Rogaine into your regime.

Janna,

Wow, you posted your picture in your avatar! The mystery of what you look like has now been unveiled to all! Way to go icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Thanks guys.

I just want to gather all the facts before starting with Rogaine.

As we know propecia is a no brainer (easy to take)...rogaine a bit more involved (night time all that stuff)...a bit of a pain.

Thana,

From what you say about the evidence you've heard...(chia pet)you've caught my attention.

Unless my hair grows in green like the the chia pet .....then i'll have to pass......lol

As I mentioned earlier if I start taking rogaine...I hope i don't lose alot of native hair at first....wouldn't be fun.

Thanks,

more-hair

Heh, ya, no green hair wanted. The guy I referred had been on propecia for a year, which had stabalized his crown but his front if any deteriorated slightly; he went on rogaine and after some big sheds a year later had definite regrowth and all around thickening in the front. Given the timeline and already having been on propecia for a while I give the rogaine a lot of legitimacy in his hair growth.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Janna,

Wow, you posted your picture in your avatar! The mystery of what you look like has now been unveiled to all! Way to go

Hi Bill,

Yea, I did it more out of not wanting the mystery to build. Because then it would only be a let down when patients see me in person...ha, ha. I am what I am, not much can be done short of surgery. But I do always have a smile on my face. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Heh, ya, no green hair wanted. The guy I referred had been on propecia for a year, which had stabalized his crown but his front if any deteriorated slightly; he went on rogaine and after some big sheds a year later had definite regrowth and all around thickening in the front. Given the timeline and already having been on propecia for a while I give the rogaine a lot of legitimacy in his hair growth.

Hey thana.

When you say "big sheds"..how bad was it for your buddy.

The shedding is a big concern for me when considering starting with rogaine.

Maybe I'm making to big a deal about it...maybe not.

It's enough to have to deal with possible shockloss and all the other BS that comes with a HT...I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

I going to call my doc on monday to get his advice...just wondering what you or anyone else felt about Rogaine and all the good/bad that comes with it.

Maybe Bill is right...i should wait to see what my results look like after a year before getting on the rogaine.

I'll will tell ya it's tempting to get on it now after reading what you and Janna had to say.

More-hair

Hmmm, I don't mean to imply it made him look like a NW7 for 3 months, just that his hair looked a tad bit -- but noticeably -- thinner for a while.

Hoenstly, you have to look at the shed as a true expression of one step backward for two steps forward, albeit the steps get taken in an irritating manner; but it is temporary, and is just a harbinger for growth and progress. The shockloss that comes from you HT is most likely going to be temporary, or happen to hairs that were "on their way out" and too weak to survive.

Personally, I wish I started rogaine myself pre-HT. I'm relegated to start up with it post-HT.

-----------

Janna,

Well you are very pretty so you should let your face show! I'm glad you finally had the courage to shine brightly for us icon_smile.gif.

More_Hair,

Since you have already undergone hair transplant surgery and are already on Propecia, I don't see a harm in waiting to see how your hair transplant turns out before getting on Rogaine. In my opinion, if you start using Rogaine now, it will be difficult to know whether the difference you are seeing is all from the hair transplant or if some is from the Rogaine. Then you will be "stuck" on it thinking that if you stop, you will lose what you have gained. But you won't know how much you gained from it unless you see what it does after the hair transplant has matured.

This is however, one strategy. If you don't mind commiting to Rogaine from now on, feel free to start it early because it won't hurt and may even help.

Bill