question to HT doctors...is doing HT's boring and tough on your hands and eyes?

I've been dying to know the following...

I realize that you make very good money, however meticulously poking 6000+ holes in peoples heads day after day, year after year, I would assume gets incredibly tedious.

That's 30,000 pokes/week, and 120,000 pokes/month...and each hole must be carefully placed.

Another question: Do you hands ever start to hurt...or your eyes for that matter (having to look for hours on end through a magnifying glass).

I hope it's ok to ask...I've just been dying to know!

I've been dying to know the following...

I realize that you make very good money, however meticulously poking 6000+ holes in peoples heads day after day, year after year, I would assume gets incredibly tedious.

That's 30,000 pokes/week, and 120,000 pokes/month...and each hole must be carefully placed.

Another question: Do you hands ever start to hurt...or your eyes for that matter (having to look for hours on end through a magnifying glass).

I hope it's ok to ask...I've just been dying to know!

I agree with all. It was a sight to experience Dr. Cooley's work schedule the day I was there.

7:04 a.m. I arrived, as I'd had a little trouble finding the place in the large medical park.

7:10 a.m. Dr. Cooley comes out of a consultation with someone who must've got there at 6 a.m. because it was early. Still dark out in March.

7:12 a.m. We meet and exchange pleasantries for a few minutes and then start talking about my past, present and future goals. I get out my meds and he double checks them all.

7:20 a.m. Dr. Cooley leaves while I dress in the gown they have for me. When he comes in a couple mins. later I take some of the meds I had filled prior to coming in.

7:25 a.m. He takes the 'before' pics, and we again talk about my goals and I go along with his recommendaton as I want the most natural look possible since I'd been dealing with plugs for so long.

7:35 a.m. Although there is another lady working on my prep as well, Dr. Cooley was in with me nearly the whole time.

7:40 a.m. The donor strip is marked, and he asks me to lay down while explaining what's about to happen.

7:43 a.m. The strip is cut, and suprisingly all I felt was a little tension when he was sewing the sutures.

7:55 a.m. I notice the cutters or sliverers have come in / are coming in. I'm feeling alright by now sitting up in the chair. There's some sort of prepping going on and the lady is about to put in one of my favorite all-time movies, When Harry Met Sally. I know that sounds gay but I really like Bruno Kirby and Billy Crystal.

9:30 a.m. I wake up briefly as the movie is going off, and realize I don't remember a minute of it.

9:35 a.m. Next up, City Slickers, I do remember watching most or all of this. I could hear Dr. Cooley and the other tech talking about things related to my head or surgery as they were putting in the grafts. This was a pretty painless process to be honest.

11:30 a.m. Lunch time. The same lady who helped me with the movies, etc. came in for my lunch order, and by this time I felt high as a kite. I chose the turkey sandwich....

11:45 a.m. It was interesting to get up and go to the bathroom. I really couldn't tell much about my head but I did see the tiny dots. I felt like I was walking on a cloud.

11:55 a.m. Proceed to eat sandwich. A couple of the 'slitherers' were working through lunch and they let me look at my hairs, and according to them mine looked normal. I was glad to hear that....

12:25 p.m. So much for an hour lunch. Dr. Cooley and the tech were back on me and he gave me another 'hit' of something at this point I think because I splept through my next movie as well. They started back up pretty quick.

1:30 p.m. Although I was mostly out, I could here the counting so at some point I remember hearing some familiar things and numbers. It seems like I remember the 1500 count along mid-day.

2:30 p.m. I was coming too again, and we started with the Seinfeld cd's. I heard Dr. Cooley chuckle a couple of times, but he's mostly all business. He's very cordial, but all business.

4:00 p.m. We're still going. Surprisingly, Dr. has been in the room the whole time, except for about 15 minutes earlier in the day when I heard them tell him a consult was there. I think this was a person who'd had surgery the previous day and the one at 7 a.m. was someone considering a transplant.

5:30 p.m. I noticed that most of the sliverers had packed up and left, so it was the lady who seemed to be coordinating non-surgical stuff, Dr. Cooley and the other tech working on me.

5:45 p.m. Some more slits are made in my head as we got some extra grafts and he went under a little on the originals. He could have done the cuts in phases throughout the day for all I know, as I was sleeping a lot.

6:10 p.m. By this time, it was just Dr. Cooley and the non-surgical person. He finished up and told me they got 250 extra grafts, including the 50 or so plugs that were recycled.

6:30 p.m. They clean me up, I dress, and get issued a pretty ugly but comfortable hat. I commented to Dr. Cooley about his job being tough, and asked if they do this schedule daily. He did say they work hard, but do have a method in scheduling larger and smaller sessions. He said they do four surgeries per week so I'm sure the 'easy' days of 1500 are nice.

6:50 p.m. Dr. Cooley offers to take me to the hotel, but I decline as I don't want him banging on my hotel door at 6:30 a.m. the next morning because I'm stuck with no car.

6:55 p.m. He walks me out to the car, and I confirm that I'll take the 10 o'clock spot on the next morning for my post op evaluation. We shake and I'm off for a take-out Burrito they have recommended.

6:57 p.m. He walks back in the clinic, and I'm supposing locks up and heads home. Pretty tough day I'd agree.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

But, with all that said, I'd rather do that as haul in hay all day in 100-degree heat; like I used to do as a 16 year-old!

It's also got to be a great feeling getting all the letters, emails, etc. telling you how much you've helped change their lives.

And I don't see how those guys back in the 80-s and 90's went home at night thinking they had actually helped someone. How do you think those plugs looked good? And why did the clinics picuture books always look natural?

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

No it is not boring. Initially nine years ago, placing and cutting grafts was a chore and very challenging. Now I find myself in many cases placing just as much as my technicians and I enjoy it. I can also maintain more of the quality if I am directly involved with the procedure. Many hair transplant surgeons do not place grafts themselves. Yes there are times when making incisions in certain angles and directions can cause some repetitive strain. I use high powered loupes for magnification to ease the stress on my eyes, even though I have very good vision. There are some accountants out there that do nothing but work with numbers and love it. NOt my cup of tea. I personally enjoy all surgical procedures. As they say, different strokes for different folks. Whatever makes you happy. Yes the money is good, but it is not always about the money. It is about doing the best job you can, being the best doctor and providing the best patient care for every patient. I do volunteer my time and do free surgeries for patients when needed.

Originally posted by Dr. Mejia:

Now I find myself in many cases placing just as much as my technicians and I enjoy it. I can also maintain more of the quality if I am directly involved with the procedure. Many hair transplant surgeons do not place grafts themselves.

Dr. Mejia,

I read this comment with high interest, as there was a great debate a few months back on this very topic. MOST people involved in the debate, in which another poster and I started, believed this practice of the doctor participating in planting didn't matter. Even our own Bill was on the other side of this argument. icon_frown.gif

I too think it's great that the surgeon is taking part in planting the grafts. And I agree 100% that it has to help with the quality control. I was very impressed that my doctor did this as well; and I'm sure your patients appreciate this from your practice.

My .02 ........

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Doc,

You should have read this thread, or consulted with these posters, before thinking that a doctor helping place the grafts will make any difference. Check out half-way down; it was brutal....

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...531090973#8531090973

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

I think it's great when a surgeon decides to become more interactive with the graft placing process, but I do not believe it is a requirement to receive a great result.

In my opinion, there really is no argument since the proof is out there. Dr. Hasson and Dr. True (two of my surgeons and both elite members of the Coalition) are continually putting out first-rate results, and neither surgeon was involved in the planting process on my scalp.

In my opinion, as long as the technicians are properly trained and overseen by the surgeon for quality assurance, technicians carefully placing the grafts will yield just as good of a result.

What is interesting is I don't see anyone asking why the surgeon doesn't trim the grafts under microscopes, which is just as, if not a more delicate process than placing the grafts.

The technicians are a critical part of the surgical team that must be properly trained in order for a hair transplant to work. It only takes one technician to fail at their job for a poor result.

Best wishes,

Bill

I kinda figured that was a positive result of a doctor helping to place grafts, as he/she would see the 'end result' of the grafts that have been cut. I would assume the cutters would be more on top of their job if they knew the doctor would also be looking at and placing 1/2, 1/4 or some of the grafts. That has to help, imo.

You're right about the clinics you referenced, but right up above we've got a doctor who thinks it's important. Dr. Cooley does as well, as I'm sure some others do. The general conclusion of that thread is that it didn't matter, which I'm still unconvinced...

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

I definitely respect your position, after all, you are not alone. Some surgeons do feel it's important that they are directly involved in the placement process while others do not. I am not trying to convince you that one is better than the other. Consider all the evidence and draw your own conclusion icon_smile.gif.

I admit from a new patient point of view, I'd feel more comfortable if the surgeon was directly involved in every step of the process. However, evidence exists that suggests that trained technicians under direct supervision of an elite surgeon can yield high quality results. This of course, is my opinion and conclusion based on what I've seen.

Feel free to continue to discuss.

Best wishes,

Bill

well as for that topic, there are some things that require a medical background and serious SERIOUS knowledge, but I would not image planting hair into holes would be one of them (not to downplay that job as I'm sure it requires significant training...just not 4 years in med school plus residency!)

You know what gets repetitive? Constantly rounding on crackhead trauma patients who don't care that you saved their life, and are constantly thinking of ways to sue you, in order to finance their crack habit.

On the other hand, trauma surgeons get to do emergency thoracotomies. There are few things in this world that are cooler than that.

I place about 1/2 to 2/3 of grafts at my office and think that it helps with quality control and lets me get to know the patient a bit more; and usually that translates into the patient telling a friend or 2 that they ought to come see our practice. BUT, I place primarily because I want the staff cutting grafts--a skill that I do not have--and once we see the light at the end of the tunnel, the staff can place and I can see consults.

As I get a larger staff, I doubt that I will continue to place as much, but more than likely I will come in and place for a while at the beginning and middle of the case, just to make sure things are going like they ought to be doing.

I don't think that having the doc place is key, having the doctor inspect progress is the key.

So I agree with Bill and others that some excellent clinics don't have doctor placement at all, but I bet that those docs are supervising and have confidence in their staff.

I enjoy placing, and am both good and quick at it, but a few of my techs are just as good.

The real skill at the doctor end of hair transplantation is not placing, but patient selection, surgical planning, scar management, and hairline/slit placement. That's what the patient pays for.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Interesting thread. I just got my HT yesterday with Dr. Feller and he didn't place any grafts himself I don't think. However, he did constantly come in to check the progress and his techs seemed to be very good and you knew he had confidence in their placement the whole way.

I believe the true results of your HT are dependant upon the slits in which Dr. Feller did them all. I'm not a vet though, but that is my best guess

A person not in the medical occupation might think of this which is good question. However, from my conversations with MDs regardless of their specialty- they LOVE their work. Some would say a high level accountant would be boring setting behind a desk looking over computer/computer programer with the eyes/a dentist with teeth-- ect.

Most surgeons (neuro/brain/heart/ect)LOVE their work and take it as a challenge to provide corrective results regardless of the type of surgeon.

With HT and cosmetic surgeons, most of the have a passion or skill of art and are artistic-- creating/improving something. This drives them and its no different than a oil painter spending hundreds of hours on a masterpiece.

Its a persons state of mind.

Good question though.

SMOOTHY

Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3oz daily

Personally, I love my work, and specifically I experience the hair restoration procedure as a perfect mix of art and science. I also enjoy sculpting and oil painting, and those activities as well can involve many hours of focused concentration at a sitting. Ultimately, for me, this procedure, as with most plastic/cosmetic procedures, is a medical application of artistic expression. So no, I am very grateful this is no where near boring, as I have found an area of medical practice where I feel I can make good use of the talents God has given me.

Good question.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors