Seeking HT Advice

I am 38 years old and seriously considering a HT. I have have currently been wearing a hair system since I have been 22 and can no longer stand it. I feel FAKE!!!! I understand that I will not be able to recive the same density as my hair system currently provides, but I feel that I will be able live with that fact.

I have visited several doctors thus far and they have categorized me as a class 6 patient. The one negative factor is that my demand is greater than my supply. However, I have been told that I can get pretty good coverage with a total of 3000 grafts.

Please let me know based on your individual experiences if it's worth ditching my hair system????

Thanks for your input!!!

Rich 13

I am 38 years old and seriously considering a HT. I have have currently been wearing a hair system since I have been 22 and can no longer stand it. I feel FAKE!!!! I understand that I will not be able to recive the same density as my hair system currently provides, but I feel that I will be able live with that fact.

I have visited several doctors thus far and they have categorized me as a class 6 patient. The one negative factor is that my demand is greater than my supply. However, I have been told that I can get pretty good coverage with a total of 3000 grafts.

Please let me know based on your individual experiences if it's worth ditching my hair system????

Thanks for your input!!!

Rich 13

• Administrators

Rich,

We have a lot in common. I'm 38 and wore a system for several years before becoming the "Recovered bald guy".

I know how you feel about the hair system wearing on you over time. Believe me I don't miss mine.

The good news is I was able to make a smooth transition from wearing a hair piece to having a decent full look.

I wore my hair piece while my new transplanted hair grew underneath. I first restored my hair in front. This allowed me to wear only a small hair piece in the crown area and comb my naturally restored hairline back and over the piece.

This made wearing a hair piece much easier as the hairline was perfect. But eventually I filled in my crown and threw away my small hair piece for the crown.

If you don't have the donor hair to get to were you want to be you may consider restoring your front half and wearing a system in the crown. You will find it much easier to wear.

Good luck buddy. I know very well the spot you're in. Pat

Thanks for reading this post. But it's your posts that make this discussion group real and vital. Please jump into the discussion. Just pick a topic and click the reply button.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Rich13,

I'd classify myself as a 6 as well. I've never had a hair system. I did have some "plugs" put in in the mid 1980's. Those plugs ended up being my hairline for the last 8+ years.

I just had 2800 FU's on Feb 4th. While I know that I will never get the density I would like because of my classification, my doctor and I both agreed that the majority of these FU's were top be placed in front. I want to see hair when I look in the mirror and I want people to see hair when they are talking to me. If the 2800 grow in as I hope, then maybe I will have some more done but this will most probably be to provide even more density (or appeared density) in the front and then some fillers towards the back.

I have come to understand and accept with my doctor's consultation that in the classification I'm in and my donor availability, its best to work in the front...get that frontal appearance as best I can. If I have a bald spot in back so be it. I've been alot worse than that for the last 10+ years.

As mentioned, I just had my session about a week ago. I'm going thru the healing process. I wish it was 4 months down the road.

Good Luck to you.

Thanks for all your feedback. This is a big step for me, and I am doing my best to collect all the necessary information before I make a decision. I have been to several consultations in the Phoenix, AZ area. (Elliot & True, Bosley, etc.)

Do you have any doctor recommendations in the greater Phoenix area? Has anyone had any experiences that they can share with the above mentioned companies?

It really sounds like you have no regrets with your HT experience and results. Looking back would you do anything different? What do you think is the single most important thing that I need to be aware as I seriously consider a HT.

It's terrific that a website like this exists.

Thank you

Rich 13

You should consult with Dr. Sharon Keene in Tucson. She did my surgery (1600 grafts) in July and I am very happy the results. There are others that post here occasionally that have also gone to her. I personally know at least one guy in Phoenix who consulted with doctors in Phoenix before he chose Dr. Keene. Don't worry about being a 6 (so am I). You're right, you probably can't get thick coverage, but you can get enough to ditch the "system". Anyway, you should at least talk to Dr. Keene before you decide (or give up). She can give you patient references in the Phoenix and Tucson areas.

I agree. Dr. Keene is an excellent doctor. If you can get some coverage with your HT, you can cover the rest with Toppik (or similar product). I think you will be happy with the results--I am. Good luck.

Hi Don,

I posted this question on another area, but saw that you mentioned Topic, so I thought I'd ask you directly.

Just has 2800 FUT's a few weeks ago and still have scabs/shock loss. Regarding Topic, do you spray it in and then style your hair or do you style your hair and then spray it in?

In your opinion, is it good for covering any remaining scabs from a FUT surgery?

Any opinion in it slowing or even preventing the growth of the new FUT's??

And finally, have your heard any rumblings about it causing additionaly hairloss (evern transplanted hairs) if used over time?

Thanx..midnite

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK. YOUR INPUT IS REALLY HELPFUL, SINCE THIS IS BIG DECSION FOR ME.

All of you Class 6 candidates, was the overall HT worth it?? Did you get the coverage you expected?

The doctor's I have consulted with thus far have informed me that they can harvest about 3000 FU's. (2 procedures) I wish I had a crystal ball and could see the end result. I am 38 and I realize that I will not get the coverage I had when I was 20, but I do not want to look 20. I would be disappointed if I simply walked away with just a comb over after 3000 FU's.

I am taking some of the reader's advice and scheduling a consultation with Dr. Sharon Keene in Tucson, AZ next month.

Sincerely,

Rich 13

I think it was the best thing for my appearance I ever did. I thank God every day for fu's. I would be almost totally bald if I did not do the 4500 fu's to date. I am 35 and people guess my age at 28 to 29. I never hear 30! That is the honest truth. Get going brother.

Ron

I have had 6 procedures. Feel free to post questions If I can help. In fact I am going in for my final hairline touch up on thursday. I am getting another 500 in front. I am addicted. But this is most likely the end. It will put me over 5000 fu's.

I would not use any covers on the fu's until all is healed and looking pretty close to how it did prior to HT. A month is pretty good for all of that to occur.

I must confess I have used GLH 9 and Couvre cover up on fu's on day 11 or 12, but I still felt uneasy about it. The hairs still grew in there, but most doctor's say wait until all scabs are off and skin looks good. A pink shade will still be there awhile. Whenever I drink wine the imprint of the HT would show up in pictures on hairline. That is why I do not drink wine until all fu's have grown in.

Couvre has NO alcahol so I like it better. I also suggested to you KMS spray for medium hold with NO Alcahol if you have enough hair to style now. It is called 2 and 1. Moisturizer and Hold.

Wait till march before you use any of the cover ups. Some out there will disagree with me. But my only concern is for you to protect those 2800!\

Wear a hat until then.

Ron

I am 38, a 6, and had 2000 FU's done 8/22/01. In my opinion 3000 would give you pretty decent coverage from the front hairline to aprox. 4-5 inches back. If your hairloss is still progressing, you might want to do 2000 or so for the first session and then use the additional 1000 in a follow up session where you want to fill in (That is what I am doing). I am very happy with my results. You can read of my experience on this site under "Hair Transplant Experiences". Good Luck! Rick

RickM...what type of hair do you have? Are you familiar with toppik? I'm 25 and quickly heading towards class 6 range. My hair is medium to light brown, pretty straight and not very coarse. I'm starting to feel a little helpless because I'm not a great candidate and Propecia is working ok but not great. Right now I have very thin coverage throughout with a receding hairline but toppik has been my saving grace and I'm pleased with my appearance right now. Do you think its possible for me to get enough coverage with a transplant to use toppik and stay happy with my appearance? How did you look at 25? Sorry for all the questions but I feel like theres not many class 6 guys on this board. Thanks

Hi Gary,

I would like to know how your overall experience was and were you happy with the results.

I am a class 6 and some of the doctors that I have visited in the Phoneix area told me that they could harvest about 3000-3300 FU's. I am looking forward in meeting with Dr. Keene on March 14th.

Perhaps you can answer some of the following questions for me:

*Were you satisfied with the overall procedure?

*Were your expectations met?

*What was the actual procedure like and the days following the procedure?

*How many FU's did you have performed?

*Any heavy scabbing or excessive fallout?

*How was the surgeons overall expertise did she perform a larage percent of the surgery or did the nurses?

*Would you do it all over again?

Thanks for your assistance GARY.

Rich 13

*Were you satisfied with the overall procedure?

Yes, very much so.

*Were your expectations met?

Actually, she exceeded my expectations. I'm probably a special case, in that I am probably a 6 and I had some previous plugs many years ago. I was concerned about getting enough grafts, so would have been happy with a small improvement, but it turned out better than that.

*What was the actual procedure like and the days following the procedure?

The procedure took the whole day (Dr. Keene only does one surgery per day). I was given some meds to relax, and picked out a couple of videos to watch. After that it was kind of a blur as the meds made me pretty drowsy. After numbing my head (it took a while for that), Dr. Keene removed the donor strip and then sewed me up. There were several assistants cutting the grafts. Dr. Keene and an assistant placed the grafts. I think I fell asleep at least once. After the surgery, I staggered out to catch a Taxi back to the hotel. I went back in the next morning so Dr. Keene could check my head and they could clean me up a little. Then I stopped for lunch (and Starbuck's) before I caught my flight home.

I didn't have a lot of swelling. For the first week I slept sitting upright because it was uncomfortable to put any pressure on the donor area. The donor area was a little sore but that got gradually better and was OK after a few days. Basically you just have to figure the first week or so your head will feel pretty uncomfortable, but when it's all over it doesn't seem that bad, and when the hair starts to regrow you forget all about that week. I would definitely take a full week off work after the surgery. Actually, the long wait for the regrowth is worse than the discomfort of that first week.

*How many FU's did you have performed?

*Any heavy scabbing or excessive fallout?

My recipient area scabs were small. I had a little bleeding along the donor suture the next day, but nothing to be alarmed about. I had some minor scabs along the donor suture line, but I guess that's to be expected. I didn't have any shock loss as far as I could tell, but as you know this varies a lot by individual (YMMV).

*How was the surgeons overall expertise did she perform a larage percent of the surgery or did the nurses?

If I remember correctly, previous to becoming a HT surgeon, Dr. Keene was a trauma surgeon. She does a very nice scar (mine is hard to find). She did the donor strip removal, of course, and the suture. I think she and one assistant placed the grafts, but I was very sleepy from the meds so I can't say for sure.

*Would you do it all over again?

Yes, and I'm planning for my next surgery now.

Rich -

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. It's hard to think of everything. Make sure to get references when you go for your consultation. There's a guy in Tucson that I spoke to that was a similar case to your's (wore a hairpiece before his HTs). Also, "Jeff" who posts here occasionally lives in Peoria and I think would be would be happy to talk to you, though his hair is just starting to regrow now.

Gary,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ME. It sounds like you are very pleased with the results. I have a scheduled consultation with Dr. Keene on March 14th and will let you know how that goes.

I will take you up on your offer and if I think of any other questions I will certainly run them by you.

Thanks again!

Rich13

Any others have photo's they can share with me. (It would be great to see other class 6 candidates that had approx. 3000 FU's performed.)

THANK YOU!

Rich13

Has anyone used Dr. ROy jones for a transplant? If so, could you post some pictures? I have checked out NHI website, etc., but I would like to hear more about Dr. ROy Jones from someone who may have had an experience with him. Thanks!