Post OP worries and questions

Nick

Hi All,

I got my procedure done on 24th Aprl with Dr. Bernstein.My scar has healead nicely but I am bit worried about following things.

1.In post op package the information paper says scabs will be gone in 2-3 days but I still have scabs that are dry and very hard. I am not poking or pulling on them but when ever they come off they have a newly transplanted hair with them. In short they are falling along with my new hair. I am really worried about this. Is this normal? Can anything be done to get rid of scabs quickly without losing new hair?

2. I am taking 1/4th of propecia every day but I am losing lot of old hair in donor area, scalp and probably all over the head. I am really worried about this. Is this normal? What can be done to stop this?

Let me know please.

Nick

Hi All,

I got my procedure done on 24th Aprl with Dr. Bernstein.My scar has healead nicely but I am bit worried about following things.

1.In post op package the information paper says scabs will be gone in 2-3 days but I still have scabs that are dry and very hard. I am not poking or pulling on them but when ever they come off they have a newly transplanted hair with them. In short they are falling along with my new hair. I am really worried about this. Is this normal? Can anything be done to get rid of scabs quickly without losing new hair?

2. I am taking 1/4th of propecia every day but I am losing lot of old hair in donor area, scalp and probably all over the head. I am really worried about this. Is this normal? What can be done to stop this?

Let me know please.

Nick

Nick,

Could you possibly be mis reading your instructions? Are you sure it doesnt say 2-3 weeks.2-3 days seems a little early for scabs to be gone. And yes with the scabs the hair can and will fall out. It's going into a resting phase.

You should try washing your hair vigorously to get the scabs off. Also, Aloe Vera will soften them up.

According to everyone in the know, after 10 days the hair follicles are set and those coming out with your scar would come out eventually, and that's completely normal.

BTW, you paid Dr. Bernstein a lot of money so anytime I got worried or concerned I'd call him. I'm sure he doesn't mind and would, in fact, appreciate it.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Nothing to worry about but I understand why,

Seems like shockloss is happening .

Try soaking your head in a tub and gently rubbing your fingers in circles to remove scabs.

The hairs attached to scabs are NOT harmed.

Emu oil olive oil jojoba oil or any good oil left on head all night then soaked in the morning will work wonders with scabs.

At 3 weeks your grafts are safe. So be a little more aggressive in your washings .Just dont pick them off

What worked quite well for me was to take a warm bath (not too warm though) and emerse my head under water periodically. After I soaked my head and the scabs became softer, I would pat soap on the recipent area. The scabs then dissolved and fell off without any problems. I would do this 2-3 times a day.

I wouldn't suggest picking at the scabs though. For me, that doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Hi Nick,

If your not already on it I would suggest minoxdil 5% to help prevent shock loss, which is just a short term set-back, the hair will regrow with the new hairs in 3 months.

Don't worry you are not losing the newly transplanted grafts when a scab falls off generally the hair shaft will also come away with the scab, as well as a small piece of skin tissue. Dont forget it's not the hair that is important, it is the follicular sheath that contains all the genetic material to start growing a new hair, that has now embeded itself under the skin, new hairs will begin to grow thru in 3 months..

the hard part is being patient...like watchn grass growicon_smile.gif

*I am Practice Manager & Patient Advisor, for Dr Andrew Kim, Sydney Institute of Hair Restoration*