RJVW 1/17/07 - Dr. Epstein

rjvw

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rjvw,

Congratulations on your procedure with Dr. Epstein. It does appear that Propecia has brought some hair back for you, however, the angling and lighting is different so it could be an illusion? But you said you see some changes, so that is great!

Surgery looks good...clean. It should give you some nice overall coverage, but I wouldn't expect a lot of density. A lot of ground has been covered with not too many grafts. If you are not satisfied with the density after a year or two, you can always go back for more.

Bill

I think that you will have some pretty decent changes as there does already look like an improvement with the propecia alone. It looks like he primarily just added FU to zones 2 and 3 so I would think that the hairline and frontal area will look awesome.

There is always so much discussion of density and ofcourse we all want our hair to look as full as possible, but just providing a new, clean, defining hairline makes all the difference in the world. Dr. E did a great job on the surgery and given time you will be a new man. Best of luck.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

RJ, how many grafts did you have transplanted?

Everything looks really clean, so I expect some really good growth.

Did Dr. E mention any worry about shockloss and is that the reason he only transplanted throughout the frontal zone at about 15-20 fu's cm/2?

Anyway, your going to look great, and I especially like the way your incisions is hidden!!!!!!!

Keep us posted!!!!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B Spot, Dr. E and I never really talked about shockloss. He did mention that I was getting great results with Propecia and that it seemed that my hair shafts were indeed getting thicker thus might help in slowing or stopping future hair loss. Our game plan was just to work inside my exisitng hairline. I don't mind having a little reveal to my scalp. I just didn't want to be able to see right thru to the back of my head, if you know what I mean.

Neptune, the tightness comes and goes. Sometimes, like now, I even forget that I had a HT. Now that my swelling is gone and except for the small crust on my head I look the same as before.

I'm gonna post photos about once a week so you can see what you'll be going thru. By the way, I called Dr. E when I swelled up. It was 5:30 on Saturday night and I got a return call, by him, within an hour. That says a lot about the man.

Thanks rjvw! The pics will really help me as this is a rare chance to follow a couple months after someone who's condition is very similar to mine with the same surgeon. Most appreciated! I got an email from Dr. E over the weekend just asking if I had any more questions (we have corresponded via email quite a bit over the last month), so that made me feel good. He's answered every question I have had to date. So far, so good.

Added 1 week photos. Please note I still have my stiches. I have not lost any little guys yet but I'm expecting a fallout soon. Still have some crust/scabs but they are mostly in the center of my head. They are hard to see in person. Plus it helps to be 6'2".

Oh by the way, the propecia does seem to be working very well in such a short period of time---you probably didn't need the HT. Kidding ofcourse but it will be interesting to see your results in a year. Good luck.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 3 weeks later...

One month update. Shock loss is a real bitch. You can see a big difference from my side view photos. Thank god I know it's only a normal stage that we all must go thru. I can't wait for the growth to start.

Ya shock loss sucks. Like you said, it is normal and give it time and all will be good again. If the propecia worked for you prior it will help with the growth. Mid to late summer and you'll be laughing. Please keep us posted.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

rjvw,

Shockloss is no fun, but the good news is, it's temporary. I looked at your pictures...maybe a little bit of shockloss, but I wouldn't say it's real bad...at least not yet. Just a warning...it MIGHT get worse before it gets better. Just don't panic if it does...it's normal. My bad period is typically 5-10 weeks. Just thought I'd share.

Keep us posted.

Bill

rj-

Thanks for the updates.................you're coming along. Don't fret the shock loss, I think my shocked hair started coming back around the 2 month mark. Hang in there..........it'll come, braddah!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the support guys. It's been great to be able to read about others going through or have been through the same highs and lows of a HT that I'm going through. To me, this forum has made all the difference in my decision to go ahead and step up and have a HT. I know without it I would have never even thought of doing it. Or even worse I might have trusted Bosley as the "premier HT authority". (Never believe what you see on TV)

The knowledge, wisdom and support on this forum is truly priceless.

• 3 weeks later...

Some guys asked about hiding our scars so I thought this may put them at rest. Plus you can see my shockloss is looking much better. I just wish the top would start growing in faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I've updated my photos again. I'm hoping this is really helping anyone that is unsure or just curious about the process.

At 2 months I'm just starting to see some new sprouts. I can actually feel them with my fingers but no real difference yet with my appearance. As I have stated before my goal is to be able to see a big difference at the six month mark. (July) Also, my scar is healing just fine. Getting less and less noticeable each week.