Dr. Pistone session for February (PICS JUST ADDED)

dhuge67

Good point, Hoping.

The other thing I'm concerned about are posts from people EMPLOYED by particular HT surgeons. It really bothers me when they also try to compare a doctor (that they do not have information about) with a "writer and researcher of art" and a "real artist like Van Gogh."

Wow, just wow. Maybe you should do some research before you speak? I take some of those comments and throw them in the cabinet, along with the Procerin.

Just because you don't know of the doctor, doesn't mean they don't do top notch work...possibly even better work than Hasson and Wong?

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dhuge67--

Please do me a favor--Stop insulting people who do not know you, have never met you, and are still trying to help you. Your attitude is one of idiocy and ignorance. Jotronics is employed for a reason, and not as a shill for H&W. He has gone through a TERRIBLE hairtransplant at the hands of a unethical, unpracticed doctor and has YEARS of life experience that you cannot comprehend at this point in your life. Do not presume to know what you are talking about, there is a reason no one knows who your doctor is, my friend, perhaps you should think about that.

Now run along and get a hairtransplant, and hopefully things will go good for you. Just remember, you have signed on for many more surgeries.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hoping, while you offer some sound reasoning, please provide the "medical study" that has shown the results you have posted. In addition, if the side-effects of propecia show up, he can stop taking the drug. His risk of prostate cancer is nil at his age. A hairtransplant is PERMANENT, propecia isn't at this point. Let's face it, this kid is in a terrible situation period. He has chosen to exacerbate the situation by insulting educated members of a HAIRLOSS FORUM, many of whom have had multiple surgeries themselves, AND faced the situation he is in. The BEST plan of attack (this is where the maturity kicks in) is to step back try propecia, educate yourself and then proceed forward. No one has castigated his "physician of choice", nor have we told him not to ever get a HT. What we have given this kid is good old, USDA Choice, Unbiased, and generally right on the money, ADVICE. What you have done with your *timely* magical post is to give this guy one last straw to cling to. (Thanks)

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

well i think dhuge has his mind made up , I do think if he doesnt take propecia to save his native hair he will have a full hairline after the ht and no hair in the crown area.

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

I myself have been on propecia for 3 years with no side effects , I am hoping I can start using a half a pill a day instead of a full pill. This thread should be closed, 4 pages of info and a few fights over somthing we as a group have no control over. I do wish dhuge good luck with his HT and hope he will take propecia.

I am going to get the HT and I am going to take Propecia. Period.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dhuge:

Like everyone else here, I wish you the best. Many men have been permanently disfigured by this surgery, and none of us want to see another guy suffer that fate.

I've skimmed much of this thread, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but it's a fact that a lot of the top HT surgeons refuse to operate on anyone under 25, let alone someone who's only 20. Doesn't that give you pause?

I'm not sure you realize what a life-changing experience a strip HT is. You're going to be someone who's had major cosmetic surgery. That's a big deal, even in 2006. And there's no way to reverse it. Once the back of your scalp has been cut open and sewn back together, there's no returning it to its original state.

I was 26 when I had my first procedure, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into or what the psychological ramifications of it would be. Please, do more research and make an informed decision.

Since you're in Eastern PA, my recommendation for you would be to take a drive to Great Neck, NY, and get a consultation with the surgeon I had my last procedure with, Dr. Alan Feller. There's no charge, you'll meet with the doctor personally, and Dr. F has a reputation for giving honest appraisals and doing excellent work.

Good luck.

Originally posted by marc515515:

Dhuge:

Like everyone else here, I wish you the best. Many men have been permanently disfigured by this surgery, and none of us want to see another guy suffer that fate.

I've skimmed much of this thread, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but it's a fact that a lot of the top HT surgeons refuse to operate on anyone under 25, let alone someone who's only 20. Doesn't that give you pause?

I'm not sure you realize what a life-changing experience a strip HT is. You're going to be someone who's had major cosmetic surgery. That's a big deal, even in 2006. And there's no way to reverse it. Once the back of your scalp has been cut open and sewn back together, there's no returning it to its original state.

I was 26 when I had my first procedure, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into or what the psychological ramifications of it would be. Please, do more research and make an informed decision.

Since you're in Eastern PA, my recommendation for you would be to take a drive to Great Neck, NY, and get a consultation with the surgeon I had my last procedure with, Dr. Alan Feller. There's no charge, you'll meet with the doctor personally, and Dr. F has a reputation for giving honest appraisals and doing excellent work.

Good luck.

I genuinely do thank you for you concern, but my hair loss at age 20 is that of someone in their 30's. The reason that most places won't perform a surgery on someone under 21 is because they say that there is no discernable pattern of baldness...in my case, there is an obvious one.

I really do thank you for your concern, though, it's good to know people care.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

not to give dr f free advertising but i had my second surgery with him as well and it was a pleasent exp to say the least , he can really educate you and has plenty of pics to show off , he is also a really down to earth guy. Also check out dr true and dorin they are right in manhattan they do excellent work as well. But if you go with pistone I wish you luck. The one thing that I question is you are a NW3 I would think you would want more than 1900 fu's. My hair loss was a NW2 and I recieved 1045 fu's and that was just a touch up job to fill in the spaces from my first procedure which was 825 fu's. I am not a Dr but i really think you wont be happy with 1900 fu's you wont get the density you want.

Guys,

This is a long thread!! It's admirable how everyone is doing their best to give good and sound advice to dhuge...

It's apparent to me that he has made up his mind to proceed (a poor decision in my mind as well). He is not "listening" to anyone's advice based on his abrupt, disrespectful replies and is just twisting things around to his desired path - getting a premature HT. I wouldn't waste anymore time here...

Originally posted by dhuge67:

For me, I'm mostly concerned about the recovery time, as I am extremely into weight lifting and working out. I hope that I'll be able to get back into my routine after about 10 days off at the most.

What are your thoughts, experiences, and opinions on this?

To answer your original question, I had strip surgery (2700) with Dr Feller and he told me that I could exercise as much as I liked after the stitches were removed and that it wouldn't make any difference to the scar. I removed the stitches 9 days post-op and returned to my daily routine (including heavy weights, training at anaerobic levels and deep stretching (including my neck)) on the 9th day without any problems. My scar didn't stretch and has remained just a 1 - 2 mm wide white line. The sweat I built up from training cleared all the scab from my recipient area and I was scab free by 11 days post-op - before my first work out the recipient area was covered with scab.

Although the scar has healed as well as a scar could possibly heal, it is visible with short hair, as Gorpy mentioned, and I can't cut my hair any shorter than 1 inch without the scar being visible at the sides.

PB

Well, wish me luck, because I am getting the HT.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Well, wish me luck, because I am getting the HT.

You are not exactly correct, I would guess you will be getting 3-5 hair transplants. But good luck.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Thats the one thig no one can tell , how many ht's you will actually need, no one can predict hairloss except god. In my case I only needed hairline work but who is to say 10 years down the road I wont loss my hair on top its unlikely because thats not the type of hairloss that runs in my family but it could happen . I am only 29 and on my second procedure. Taking the propecia has given me piece of mind . D I still wish you the best luck and hope all your expectations are met but I really do think you are too young to get this procedure and I think your DR should no better.

D,

Uh, me working for a clinic has nothing to do with my posts. I did not say that you should not go to him. I did not say to come to my clinic. I shared with you some common sense issues that apparently, to you, are not common sense.

Regarding the papers and research comment, you pointed to a doctor with the Hershey Medical Group (name?) with great "credentials" and used the reputation of this medical institution as backup for your decision. I was addressing your choice of reference, not Dr. Pistone.

Your comments about my motives for addressing your case are out of line but if that is how you operate then so be it. At least you are going to try Propecia so at least one of our suggestions got through to you.

What is odd however is how you attack me for working for another clinic and that my suggestions must be some kind of subterfuge yet many others have chimed in with the same advice. Whatever could their motives be?

I'll part by saying good luck and check back with any questions you may have after your procedure. I hope you will at least share some photos with us showing your post-op and continuously developing results as the days and months go by.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Jotronic:

D,

Uh, me working for a clinic has nothing to do with my posts. I did not say that you should not go to him. I did not say to come to my clinic. I shared with you some common sense issues that apparently, to you, are not common sense.

Regarding the papers and research comment, you pointed to a doctor with the Hershey Medical Group (name?) with great "credentials" and used the reputation of this medical institution as backup for your decision. I was addressing your choice of reference, not Dr. Pistone.

Your comments about my motives for addressing your case are out of line but if that is how you operate then so be it. At least you are going to try Propecia so at least one of our suggestions got through to you.

What is odd however is how you attack me for working for another clinic and that my suggestions must be some kind of subterfuge yet many others have chimed in with the same advice. Whatever could their motives be?

I'll part by saying good luck and check back with any questions you may have after your procedure. I hope you will at least share some photos with us showing your post-op and continuously developing results as the days and months go by.

Okay, let me start by apologizing.

You have to understand how frustrated I am, coming in here, posting, and then having almost everyone tell me that I am being foolish.

I worked for 3 years to pay for this, saving almost every penny while my friends spent their money on clothes, cars, girlfriends, and partying. I saved mine up for a HAIR TRANSPLANT. I just feel so down right now...hearing this, with just a week to go until my scheduled procedure. I almost want to print this thread out and bring it to the doctor and see what he says about it all.

This whole ordeal is so emotionally hard to handle and the last thing I was looking for was second-guesses. I just didn't expect it and my reactions were out of frustration and misunderstanding.

I'm hoping that my hair loss can be fixed! I thought this was the best option available to me and the only thing making it hard would be the expense. I just really assumed that by getting this procedure now, my hair could look great for 2-3 years, then I'd probably have to go back for another procedure to fill in whatever else starts to go (if it does), and possibly a 3rd procedure 5 years from now.

I just want to look good at my age and feel confident instead of self conscious and depressed.

I don't want to do anything that will hurt me permanently! All I'm hoping is that this procedure will fix my hairline and add some density to the front top.

What I've heard here is that the procedure could leave me thinner than what I have now, give me an ugly and permanent scar, and will not hold up over time due to continual balding.

What am I to do?

icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Chris,

This is the toughest part..............it's up to you! You have a wealth of information here to review. I can't think of a thing to add, maybe someone else can.

You've been advised to the possible negative consequences of having the HT done at your age. If you experience heavy shock-loss, yes, you may see little improvement from the HT and could possibly thin more. I don't think anyone can give you a definite here.

Share your concerns (and our advice) with your surgeon. Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. At the very least, push the date back a little. It is a BIG decision. Given it the attention it deserves.

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Chris,

This is the toughest part..............it's up to you! You have a wealth of information here to review. I can't think of a thing to add, maybe someone else can.

You've been advised to the possible negative consequences of having the HT done at your age. If you experience heavy shock-loss, yes, you may see little improvement from the HT and could possibly thin more. I don't think anyone can give you a definite here.

Share your concerns (and our advice) with your surgeon. Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. At the very least, push the date back a little. It is a BIG decision. Given it the attention it deserves.

Hairbank

Okay, let's put a few things aside for a second...

What is the likelihood that this procedure will leave me with a WORSE head of hair?

Since I plan on getting subsequent procedures, will the issue of future hair-loss be that big of an issue, especially since i'll be on a daily regimen of Propecia?

I also want to just reiterate how much I appreciate this forum and you guys for being so awesome about this. It's hard to come out and talk about a subject like this, so openly. Not only have you given me great advice and seem to genuinely care about the well-being of others, you do it selflessly.

I'm sorry to those who I've ticked off or offended. Thank you.

Also, if anyone knows ANYTHING about Dr. Pistone or HEARS anything...or even if you have a way of finding these things out...it would be so amazing if you could and would let me know. Most of you seem to be way more in touch with this whole industry that I ever will, so please, if at all possible; maybe you could find valuable information for me.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hey Dhuge,

We also feel bad we couldn't be more positive for you. We have absolutely nothing against your or your doctor here, however given the scant amount of published research or HT efficacy, we heavily rely on anecdotal evidence by sharing our experiences.

How about you just tell the good doc you want to just delay this thing for two years and have him write you a scrip for propecia? In my opinion, you walk away with a medical intervention and some hope for improvement. Additionally, look into to concealers, given you have some diffuse thinning it will work wonders for you and maybe get you thru.

I was sorry from the beginning we had to be straight forward with you and burst your hopes, perhaps the above may lift them.

Hang tough bro

Okay, let's put a few things aside for a second...

What is the likelihood that this procedure will leave me with a WORSE head of hair?

Since I plan on getting subsequent procedures, will the issue of future hair-loss be that big of an issue, especially since i'll be on a daily regimen of Propecia?

I also want to just reiterate how much I appreciate this forum and you guys for being so awesome about this. It's hard to come out and talk about a subject like this, so openly. Not only have you given me great advice and seem to genuinely care about the well-being of others, you do it selflessly.

I'm sorry to those who I've ticked off or offended. Thank you.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Can an HT help with diffuse thinning?

I mean, can they hit specific targets and do overall density?

God, I am feeling like shit about this right now...

I don't think I can just walk away now either, since they have my deposit.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

D,

I've read the thread from the beginning and now feel it is time to give my two cents. I scheduled a procedure with a doctor before coming to this forum. After reading this forum and hearing the horror stories I cancelled my procedure with the guy who was 15 minutes away and went with a reccomended doctor from this site. I also had given a deposit, but I'd rather lose that than the limited donor hair I would lose by going to someone who wasn't among the best.

I had my procedure with Dr. Cooley two weeks ago and am ecstatic I switched. BTW, I called the guy who I had left the deposit with and he is giving it back. I had alot more hair than you at 20 and you can look up my pictures to see what happened by age 36.

You remind me of myself at 20 in that I was smart and wanted to make the right decision, but ultimately I wanted what I wanted regardless of the consequences. In your gut you know the right thing to do.

The people on this forum know what they're talking about, and you'd be crazy not to at least get another consultation with someone who is reccomended. None of us have ANYTHING to gain other than to help a young guy make a decision he might regret in the future.

If Dr. Pistone is ethical, he would give you your money back in a second. Be honest and tell him the you've done alot of reading, and you think this might not be the best thing right now and that you want some time to see your options.

Printing this out or sending him a link to this discussion is a great idea. Send your dad a link as well. I'm sure he'd tell you to at least wait. I'm a cosmetic Dentist and the last thing I would want to do is do a procedure on someone who is having second thoughts - I would give the money back - no questions asked - that's what ethical people do.

Good luck buddy, hope you put on the brakes - at least for another consultation.

Michael

HT 1-13-06 Dr. Cooley 2600 grafts

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album