Dr. Nakatsui, Possible Recommendation on our Community

• Administrators

After searching high and low over the past several years for the very best surgeons it's rare to discover a hidden gem. But I think I've found one far up North in Edmonton, Canada.

This surgeon studied and adopted Dr. Jerry Wong's ultra refined lateral grafting technique and appears to be achieving excellent results (click here to see his patient results on his website).

His name is Dr. Thomas Nakatsui. He is a dermatologist who specializes in hair transplantation. He is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and he is board certified in both the United States and Canada.

Dr. Nakatsui was raised in Edmonton and completed his medical training and residency in Dermatology at the University of Alberta. In addition, he has received training in many excellent medical centers such as Harvard, the Johns Hopkins Medical Center, and the Mayo Clinic.

I first discovered him about a year ago. But he was reluctant to be presented on our community since he currently limits his practice to Canadian patients due to issues with insuring non Canadians.

I had a chance to meet with him in person at the San Diego ISHRS meeting. I was impressed by his presentation at the meeting and by him.

In my opinion Dr. Nakatsui should be recommended on the Hair Transplant Network for Alberta, Canada so that Canadians in Alberta searching our community will find him.

Ultimately, given his commitment to performing world class ultra refined follicular unit grafting (with the capacity to do large and dense sessions), he should also be considered for membership in the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Perhaps once Dr. Nakatsui sees just how many Americans will be excited about his services he will in time be able to accept American patients.

I welcome input and feedback from members of this community on Dr. Nakatsui's potential recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network and membership in the Coalition.

Onwards and Upwards, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

WOW! If indeed Dr. Nakatsui is turning out patients like those posted on is website, then he will soon be in high demand from us Americano's.

I REALLY like his soft natural hairline shapes, and I like the way his site presents the techniques he uses.

I especially like the way he mentions Dr. Wong and his training, as opposed to every other "Dr. X is a World Leader" B.S.

We know who the world leaders are already, glad to see this guy seems to take pride in who he learned from and how his methods are presented.

I am cool with this one Pat.

I would really like for Dr. Nakatsui to be persuaded to present some current patients as I think we would get a real feel for all types of patients.

Maybe we could make this a requirement for being a recommended physician?

Monthly updates?

Just a thought!!!!

Thanks Again Pat!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I'm with B, WOW!

Really....I was impressed by what I saw on his site. The pics were good quality which made it easier to evaluate the work. The only change to him I'd recommend on the site is to include graft counts on ALL pictured HT patients.

The hairlines looked very natural.............was was equally impressed with the appearance of density he was able to provide.

Not sure how to go about recommending him, it's nice to hear from a former patient or two about their experience.

In the immortal words of Jack Buck (St. Louis Cards announcer extrordinaire) "That's a winner"!

Appears he would be a great addition to those recommended by HTN.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

This guy's results look great. I'm very impressed with his work. The pictures are high quality with good closeups. This doctor should be recommended.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

He truly does have some impressive results. I don't believe however that an individual should be recommended for the coalition based on some photos posted on his website. I would like to see some unsolicited posts from some of his patients as well as some photos from you Pat during a HT session at his office. It surely does appear though that this guy has talent.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hey Guys, I am not saying that this Doc should be recommended simply because of his website.

The overall "feel" and presentation of Dr. Nakatsui's website was certainly a factor.

However, I personally place GREAT stock in Pat's recommendations and his impression of individual Doc's which weighs very heavily with me personally. Having spoken to Pat on several occasions, I believe in his mission here, unequivocably.

Understand that this is a recommended Doc, who only does Canadian citizens at this time and is not being admitted to the Coalition.

This coupled with Pat's recommendation and the fine photos attached to the website are enough for me.

I would like to see some type of monthly update required by our recommended Doc's, so we can keep up with current work.

Making it difficult to A. Get in to the Coalition and B. be a recommended HT Doc is a good thing!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I first discovered him about a year ago. But he was reluctant to be presented on our community since he currently limits his practice to Canadian patients due to issues with insuring non Canadians.

I'm a little curious at this situation...what issues is this person having? Can't they be resolved? It's obviously not a general rule since other Canadian transplant doctors have patients from all over the world coming to them especially the US. I know this is probably small potatoes...but I'd like to know more about this specific issue.

I would agree, however, based on what I read above and seen on the website that this doctor seems like a candidate for recommendations and MAYBE EVENTUALLY the coalition, if this doctor can prove consistent results over time. Thoughts?

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I appreciate everyones excellent input regarding Dr. Nakatsui. It seems that most everyone agrees that he and his clinic are a real find (a diamond in the rough). Dr. Nakatsui's technique and results do appear to meet the standards set for Coalition membership.

I also understand and appreciate the concerns expressed by those who would like to see more posts on our forum from his actual patients. I too would like to see such first hand feedback.

Dr. Nakatsui emailed me today requesting to become a member in the Coalition, while limiting his practice at present to non US patients. Apparently he feels that his technique and results qualify him for membership and so he would like nothing less than full Coalition membership. I can understand his reasoning.

I think his work is too compelling for him not to be presented on our community. After all, should not patients in the province of Alberta learn about him when they visit our community?

I would like to propose that we grant him a trial membership in the Coalition under the condition that he place prominent links on his site to this forum and the patient weblogs so that his patients can then easily find their way to this community to share their experience.

I expect that such cooperation and two way linkage will provide us all with plenty of compelling patient testimonials.

I also spoke with Joe Tilman regarding Dr. Nakatsui and he had nothing but good to say about him and his work.

I would appreciate a show of hands (reply below) either in favor or not in favor of creating a two way relationship with Dr. Nakatsui and his patients on a trial basis.

Personally I think that if he is given a chance on our community he will become a favorite choice and will in time want to also provide his services to US patients.

I look forward to everyone's input.

Thanks, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Guest Cousin_It

Pat...

Having just looked at his website I must agree. Dr. Nakatsui obviously has the credentials and qualifications. Being trained by Dr.Wong is certainly a feather in his cap.

Certainly the proof of the pudding is in the results he has accomplished. In viewing his portfolio of patients I can say "very impressive". This in light of the fact that many underwent only one procedure for their transformation makes the results even more impressive.

I would wholeheartedly agree that Dr.Nakatsui would be a valuable addition to the Coalition and look forward to his joining the ranks of our other gifted surgeons.

Great Find!

Dr. Nakatsui does seem to meet the criteria, though I guess my only concern is this one:

"Excellent patient results demonstrating a high level of artistry and naturalness throughout, as well as excellent growth rates. "

His website does show amazing results, but I'm wondering if we've given him enough time to prove himself to be a coalition member. The fact that he was trained by Dr. Wong does give him instant credibility and all else appears to be in tact.

So my conclusion is:

since we are talking about a trial membership to the coalition that will guarantee more patient interaction with the community, I'm on board!!!!! I vote "yay" on a trial membership to the coalition.

Bill

Pat,

I understand that I am new to this site but I have followed it for awhile and decided to stay and offer my input because of the reassurance I had with the recommendations and knowledge of the members. As posted earlier, I stated that it appears that Dr. Nakatsui does quality work, but has there been any unsolicited posts from his patients?? Have you ever been to his clinic to see his facility and meet his staff or patients? Has he joined this site himself and submitted any of his work? I understand that he was trained under Dr Wong, but has Dr. Wong made any formal recommendations?

Ofcourse any current member of the coalition can easily lose their membership if there are valid reasons to revoke, so in a sense they are all holding trial memberships. A HT is not something that you can get as a trial. All it would take is one poor soul to get a bad result based on this sites trial recommendation. I was under the impression that there are stringent guidelines that make you eligible to be a coalition member? Now it seems like a nice website, a few good photos and a few guys saying "yah I give him a thumbs up"? Am I missing something? icon_confused.gif

Your idea is a good one in theory but I think that there needs to be more evidence and justification for this site to consider him a coalition physician. If he is wanting to be a member make him work for it. What harm is there in that? Just my 2 cents even though so far conflicting with other thoughts.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I like the fact that this Dr. feels he is ready to join the Coalition.

I like the fact that Pat is only granting a temporary Coalition membership as well.

It is important to me personally that a current patient portfolio be established so that we can view Dr. N's work start to finish.

We have to remember that it is probably going to take 6-8 months to see the results we need.

Guys, this is where we have to simply put our trust in Pat that this particular Doc meets our standards.

Of course, Pat himself will agree that the final proof is in the pudding, and should this Doc NOT meet our standards, then he will be removed.

I doubt this will happen, but we never know.

Anyway, I think a recommendation such as this is different, but acceptable.

Again, while I fight hard to keep the membership of this site meaningful, I really think it is good to step back at times and allow "gut instinct" in Pat to rule my decision.

Ultimately, it is our job to grow our membership to the point where our fellow sufferers can be helped anywhere in the world.

Of course, should the rest of the gang feel strongly that Dr. N should NOT be granted a temporary membership, I will follow their lead, and cast my vote with them.

Thanks Again Pat!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Well said B-spot.

I like what you said about trust in Pat too...it will sort of be a leap of faith in this instance since there is no patient portfolio that we can follow yet to really make an accurate decision.

I think allowing temporary membership IS acceptable if and only if Dr. Nakatsui meets the condition of the temporary membership and provides patient portfolios on this site, start to finish, whereas during this time, we can watch to see how each patient progresses. I also think that if we allow him a trial membership that this should be included on his page that it is a TRIAL membership based on what has been agreed upon, that he indeed "appears" to meet all of the standards of the coalition, but that we are awaiting further documentation and support through portfolios of current patients to see how their results come out over time. Recognizably therefore, his membership should be in "TRIAL" mode until enough time has passed where we can see several patients before/during/after photos within a designated period of time. I couldn't imagine the trial lasting any shorter than 1 year, assuming that he (or his patients) post right in a row and give us something to follow immediately.

I might also suggest, on the other hand, that he meet the criteria FIRST before admitting hiim into the coalition at all, trial or not. This is an alternative route, maybe even the better route, since most people (including myself) advocate the coalition doctors as PROVEN entities, it makes sense that this lead be considered as well.

That being said...my final opinion is I think whether he is admitted as a trial member to the coalition or whether he proves himself first, I think if handled correctly, that this will be a benefit to everyone. So I'll still say "yay" to the trial membership, but also consider the latter as an alternative solution.

Bill

Bill

"I might also suggest, on the other hand, that he meet the criteria FIRST before admitting hiim into the coalition at all, trial or not. This is an alternative route, maybe even the better route, since most people (including myself) advocate the coalition doctors as PROVEN entities, it makes sense that this lead be considered as well." originally posted by Bill

"Again, while I fight hard to keep the membership of this site meaningful, I really think it is good to step back at times and allow "gut instinct" in Pat to rule my decision." Originally posted by B Spot

Bill and B Spot,

Bill isn't your 2nd alternative essentially what I stated? I don't get it--I vote "yay",but maybe not. Maybe we should have him meet crtiteria FIRST. "Maybe this is a better route." Ya think? You even think so yet go on to want to admit him. Definitely fence sitting. Not the strong stand that we usually expect from you.

How can you give a guy membership based on blind faith? Yes I here you with regards to trusting Pat's judgement, but it is just that--judgement based on photos and a few brief discussions with the doc. Give it time. Is there any harm in that? Think about it for a second, there are numerous posts on this site where it is stated to several naive individuals that they can put there faith in coalition docs. Shouldn't there be some sort of strict guidlines inorder to be recommending docs to literally thousands who view this site? This is silly.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Administrators

I appreciate everyones well reasoned input and tough standards.

But I think we have a bit of a paradox. Ideally we would all like to see numerous posts from Dr. Nakatui's patients before granting him membership in the Coalition. But without his participation in our online community this typically does not happen.

Many physicians who now have golden reputations on this community began as complete unknowns on this site and they had far less compelling patient photos or credentials than Dr. Nakatsui does today.

Dr. Nakatsui is a "find" for the very reason that he had to be discovered before becoming a big name on this community.

Look at the excitement and enthusiasm in the posts at the start of this topic when the information about Dr. Nakatsui was first posted. How often has a new potential physican's work and credentials been described by the hard core veterans on this forum as - "WOW ... I REALLY like his soft natural hairline shapes . . . ", "I'm with B, WOW! Really....I was impressed by what I saw on his site. . . ", "Great hairline work. Thumbs up!"

I think we need to trust our instincts and eye balls and give Dr. Nakatsui the opportunity I think he has well earned to become recognized as one of a small group of physicians who are performing truly ultra refined hair transplantation.

I believe that if we do, we will all look back some day and realize that we made a wise bet.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Nervous,

Yes, my second alternative is precisely what you said, and admittedly it IS the better choice, but as Pat pointed out, I think it might be self defeating. Therefore, I'm a bit on the fence, which I don't believe is a bad thing. Keep in mind, fence sitting is appropriate sometimes in order to look closely at both sides before making an educated decision. I think if I jumped all over this extremely one sided, I'd miss the pros of the other side. In this case, I am leaning toward admitting him as a trial member, ASSUMING that the word "trial" is posted on his membership page with the proposed cooperation that the doctor and/or patients will be posting detailed photos/experiences good or bad on this site. When I have a strong one sided opinion about something, you know I voice it...but just as Pat stated:

"But I think we have a bit of a paradox. Ideally we would all like to see numerous posts from Dr. Nakatui's patients before granting him membership in the Coalition. But without his participation in our online community this typically does not happen."

This is the reason I'm leaning toward admitting him into the coalition as a trial member. Admitting him as a trial member would facilitate patients and the doctor himself to participate in our community, which would then give us further ground to determine for certain whether or not PERMANENT membership is warranted.

Pat,

Would it be appropriate and/or possible that since we may be admitting him as a trial member, that we state this on his membership page, that he is a TRIAL member contingent upon the doctor and/or patients displaying their work on this site in order to make a full determination as to whether permanent membership is warranted? I think some kind of detail may need to be explained as to the difference between a "trial" or "temporary" member verses a "permanent" one. Your thoughts?

Bill

Hi all. I'm very new to this forum, but that being the case, I thought you might appreciate the input from that viewpoint.

I couldn't agree with NervousNelly more. As someone who hasn't gone "under the knife" yet, the thought of a HT scares me a lot for the following reasons:

1.) I've never actually met anyone with a HT that I know of.

2.) A lot of my decision is based on this site and sites like it, and therefore is based on how much I trust the people on the site.

I think a lot of people on this site who are HT veterans might forget what it was like to be in our shoes. We are digesting every bit of info we can and being as skeptical as we can possibly be because, hey, how we are going to look for the rest of our lives is at stake here! =)

That said, while I also trust Pat, admitting someone as a member because they have a pretty website or good pictures would make me look at the coalition as something that should be taken with at grain of salt at best.

I own a web design company and work with Adobe Photoshop frequently. I could show you before and after pics of MYSELF with an amazing hairline. That doesn't mean that I went to a top doc, or any doc at all. =)

Hope that doesn't scare anyone too much. I'm just trying to emphasize the point that pictures don't do much for me, but talking firsthand to someone like Bill or B-spot or any number of others does. I'd like to think that coalition members are admitted because of a proven track record of satisfied members... members that you can reach out and talk to yourself if you'd like to.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. =)

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Thanks Steve for words well spoken. I appreciate the fact that my opinion is not in vain and that you are in support of a rather cautious approach to offering Dr. Nakatsui a trial coalition membership.

I understand what Pat and Bill are stating in terms of a paradox, but is their a shortage of well qualified HT physicians? What's the hurry to give him membership? Granted their are still too many docs out there performing sub-par surgeries, but Canada has several highly skilled physicians for the size of the population. Surely more won't hurt but the question is "should we find them or they find us?"

I see this as the perfect opportunity to raise the stakes for membership. He is approaching Pat for membership, shouldn't you ask why? I know the answer to this--recognition and $$$. Think about how many individuals are going to seek out HT's from coalition physicians as a direct result of this site alone. That translates into a lot of Jack. What is it worth to him? Lets up the anti for membership. We (me anyways) are always wanting more input directly from the docs, and this is the opportunity to demand it. It becomes a condition for membership. Take it or leave it. As long as the requirements are reasonable enough, if he wants it bad enough he'll live up to the obligations.

I understand that one of the primary purposes for the initial start of this site is to educate the general population and to find qualified physicians for people in need of a HT. I don't want to lose site of that, but I think possibly things have taken on a slight twist and because of the popularity and success of this site it is now a priviledge to be a highlighted physician. It is no longer Pat hoping to find qualified docs, but for them to showcase their talents and attempt to win our praises. I don't believe that we need to "offer up" the membership, but they need to earn it. This is a small price for them as once they do become members it simply translates into increased esteem and revenue.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Nervous and EmuSteve,

I understand your concerns about admitting him into membership of the coalition. It appears from your posts that you think the decision may be a little hasty.

Pat,

Do you have any more information that you can post about Dr. Nakatsui that might help members of the forum be more comfortable with admitting him for membership.

For example:

1. Have you had a chance to visit his clinic and witness surgery on any patients?

2. Other than his website, do we have any patient testimonies to this doctor that shed positive light on his work?

3. Since the doctor approached you for membership, what would prevent the doctgor from trying to earn his membership before he could be admitted as a member? Is there indeed an urgency for the membership? Or is the fact that he's recommended good enough for now while he "earns" his way into the coalition?

I basically stand here on this issue: I'd like to see posts from the doctor and/or patients in order to make an educated decision as to whether or not to admit him FULL membeship into the coalition. However, I will also say that IF the best way to do that is to allow him a "trial" or "temporary" membership, then I'm fine with that. But I think it's important that IF we do this, that we define and distinguish a difference between an trial member and a full member to the coalition.

So really...what it comes down to to me is, it's really 6 in one half a dozen in the other.

We have two pretty good suggestions and I think they will yield a similar result, so let's let Pat determine which one will work best for everyone:

1. Let the doctor earn his way into the coalition by becoming an active participant and member of this community displaying his work from beginning, to middle, to end, and then in a certain amount of time, grant him membership if warranted

2. Allow him a "trial" membership into the coalition based on the condition that he becomes and active participant of the forum displaying his work from beginning, to middle, to end. Define what a "trial" membership to the coalition is, post it somewhere on the coalition page AND on the doctor's page that he is a trial member with a link back to what "trial" member means.

As far as I understand, the only reason we'd have to not allow him permanent membership into the coalition is because his work is under published. So as long as this is stated in the "trial" specifications, and it's listed he is a "trial" member, I think it accomplishes the same thing as making him earn his way into the coalition.

Those are just some more of my thoughts.

Bill

Bill,

I think that you summarized things well and I would be comfortable with those options. I just think it's important to preserve the lustre of being considered a coalition member.

Even if things in the past might not have been as stringent, there is no reason that new policies can't be adopted. Maybe it is more challenging now for new docs to be admitted but oh well. If they want membership they will make the effort. It becomes a win win for all involved.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90