only 22yrs old and...

Guest Cousin_It

The first thing you should do is see a doctor about getting a prescription for Propecia, you are old enough to begin using this. If possible see one of the Coalition doctor and have them check you hair for miniaturization, this will give them a feel of upcoming hair loss. I would recommend you consider using Rogaine foam, since the hairloss is fairly recent you may have a good chance of regaining some, its worth a try. Just one word of caution, these two drugs can cause what is called "shedding", this is in fact just the transition of follicles from growth phase to resting phase, they will fall out but will come back, it may take a few months before they sprout again, so be patient.

adolescent-

I agree with Cousin_It's recommendation to you but would point out that regimen's including Propecia (Finasteride) and Rogaine (Minoxidil) are not to be taken lightly. They may help you keep what you have or, if you're fortunate enough, experience some mild regrowth. However, IF you decide to stop using them any hair you've kept or gained due to them will fall out 6-12 months later..............it's really a lifelong commitment so be sure you're comfortable committing to them. If you do decide to use either or both of them, realize that results come slow and you need to at least try for a year or so before judging the success or lack thereof. You might want to consider adding Nioxin shampoo & conditioner and/or Nizoral shampoo to the regimen to provide optimal conditions for growth..............using the find feature on this site you there are many threads about the benefit provided by their use.

I'd hold off for awhile before considering a hair transplant and see how the meds help you if you decide to use them. You can always consult with a top-notch HT surgeon later on to explore that alternative if you wish.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

Thanks to Cousin it and Hairbank for providing great advice. It's tough loosing your hair at such a young age. But you are fortunate to have treatments like minoxidil and Propecia (active ingrediant - finasteride, which is available for considerably less money if you get "proscar" instead and divide it into quarters).

Give these treatments a try for a year and then where your hair is at before seriously considering a hair transplant. But in the mean time stick around here and keep an eye out for a surgeon you may think is ideal for you if down the road you do opt for surgery.

Best wishes for halthing and reversing your hair loss.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Guest Cousin_It

I am sure you can speak to your father frankly about it, I am positive he has thought about it in the past, but because the technology wasn't too good he may have had second thoughts about it. Hey maybe both of you can try out the drug treatments together, kind of compare notes as time goes. Who knows, if needed, both of you can have hair transplants, that is real father-son bonding! Keep us up to date, good luck!

dood, I started loosing hair at 21 and prolly was almost a NW 3 when I decided to start propecia and minoxidil. I also was able to muster up some courage and get my parents involved. At first they kept on blowing it off saying things like don't worry about it and hair doesn't matter just look at your dad, he's bald and perfectly happy. After 3 years of bitching...they totally support the use of meds and even my HT.

I'd get on the meds asap. But I would agree with the above posts, it is a life long process and once you enter the world of hair restoration, you pretty much can't turn back- unless you don't mind your hair falling out again.

Best of luck to you.

0.5 mg Avodart daily since 6/19/06

1950 grafts with Dr. Hasson in the front line 6/19/06.

im 21 and know exactly how you feel. it really sucks losing hair at this age.

id recommend taking propecia, but at a lower dosage. it is strong stuff, and being young, we have alot more at risk sexually if we get bad side effects from Propecia. (Compared to a 45 year old man for example who might already be married with kids)

I take 0.5 mg every other day. Other people recommend 0.25 mg daily, 0.5 mg daily, or even 0.25 mg every other day. you can easily cut the pill yourself into the desired quantity.

the lower dosage has been proven to be almost as effective if not as effective as the full milligram, with lower chances of side effects.

good luck

Originally posted by GrowPlease:

dood, I started loosing hair at 21 and prolly was almost a NW 3 when I decided to start propecia and minoxidil. I also was able to muster up some courage and get my parents involved. At first they kept on blowing it off saying things like don't worry about it and hair doesn't matter just look at your dad, he's bald and perfectly happy. After 3 years of bitching...they totally support the use of meds and even my HT.

Being in this age group, Im gonna chime in and agree with growplease... havin your parents support is a huge plus (even though it took over 2 years to get it)

I take 0.5 mg every other day.

soccerguy,

if im not mistaken that comes out to .25mg/day. do you find this low of a dose to be effective?? (like you, im very concerned w/ side effects being in my mid 20's)

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also interested in any known side affects of propecia, I have been on it for 2 years and I am now 19. I did go off them for around 2 months and felt great and had some physical changes.

If there was a credible source saying that it will hinder my chances of children I would be off it in seconds.