What NW is my Grandpa?

foreveryung

Hi, i'm a 22 year old male experiencing hairloss since 18. I am a NW2-2.5 with a 3 coming up in the next 2 years. Before I started taking propecia nine months ago I would say I was thinning in a NW3.5V pattern.

I know I am following my Grandpa's level of loss since he started losing hair at the exact same age and I look almost like him. I defiently didn't get my Dad's genetics (he's a NW1 icon_mad.gif ). Anyway he got to his final level of loss around his early 30's and stayed that way in till he died.

I know the pictures aren't great but I don't have a scanner. I would say he is a thin NW6 or 6+ or he might be a 7 in reality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. this picture is when he was in his mid sixties

GrampsNW6or7.jpg

Yes, like said I know it is not set in stone (I could take longer to reach his NW area or I could get their faster and be a NW7 although I can't find any in either side of my family). Still, I just hope the fin can halt this for a while. I am going to go on Rogaine foam soon anyway as I think that could really thicken things up.

Foreveryoung,

I agree with our members that your grandfather is a level 6 on the Norwood scale of hair loss.

In order to help maintain the hair you have and potentially prevent progressing this far, consider staying on Propecia and add Rogaine to your regime.

If you're lucky, you'll be a great responder to the medication and won't progress that far.

Best wishes,

Bill

He is Type VI, the difference btween VI n VII is reduction of the humps around the temples. As he is maintaing the humps he is typeVI.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

I would call him an "advanced Norwood VI" but very close to being a Norwood VII.

Also, my experience is NOT that the side fringes stabilize in the patient's 30's but rather they stabilize in the mid-40's. The rear vertex/crown can go on to recede even into the 50's lower and wider.

Again, because your grandfather followed a certain pattern is no guarantee that you will follow suit. You may have a totally different amount of hair loss and on a totally different timetable than he did.

In the real world, it's rather academic whether your grandfather is called a Norwood VI or VII. The main issue, if he were to present to me for a transplant, is: what is the ratio of good, safe donor hair available for what he needs? Can I fill in the whole bald area for this man? The answer to the last question is obviously "no," so it is then the surgeon's job to picture in his mind how much hair he CAN obtain in 2-3 sessions and then draw a pattern that will make the patient happy while using his realistic hair reserves to do it.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

I think Dr. Beehner is right. I found this picture of him from the same time as well (mid-sixties.

closetoa7.jpg

Here is his son (my uncle) as well at his final stage of loss, he didn't start losing though in till his 40's.

This is from six months ago at 60 years old.

norwood.jpg

I would say he closer to a VII as well.

I guess if meds don't hold this off as long as I want, I guess I will do the yul brynner/Billy Corgan look. icon_mad.gif

I mean I would like to do an HT if I stabilize with meds but at the same time, the thought of that is what I am possibly in for (or worse) scares me away from doing it. I rather have to take a zero guard to my head than do that and have to walk around with scar on the back of my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Foreveryung,

Is your grandfather from the pics your maternal or paternal grandfather? As I have read (and other posters and/or doctors please correct me if I am wrong here) that males will most likely follow their maternal grandfather's hair loss, rather than their father's or their paternal grandfather's.