Hair restoration cost

chris2b

I visited the medical hair restoration clinic in colorado today. I am thinking about getting a small transplant on my receding hair line. My hair line has receded about and inch and a half and I'm wanting to add maybe an inch or so there. Well they told me it would take about 800-1000 grafts and would cost me about 5,000 dollars. It seems expensive and a lot of grafts for such a small area. What do you all think, is this about right?

I visited the medical hair restoration clinic in colorado today. I am thinking about getting a small transplant on my receding hair line. My hair line has receded about and inch and a half and I'm wanting to add maybe an inch or so there. Well they told me it would take about 800-1000 grafts and would cost me about 5,000 dollars. It seems expensive and a lot of grafts for such a small area. What do you all think, is this about right?

I recommend you avoid the big franchises. They pass the high costs of advertising on to you, and most of the work tends to be mediocre.

You can do much better than MHR.

Are you doing anything to stop the progression? Unless you stop the progression, that first surgery is just the beginning, you should expect additional surgeries unless you are a guy with no Male Pattern Baldness whatsoever, just an incomplete hair line (occasionally a guy like that will post here but they are rare).

Some guys tend to thin out all over the balding area (me) while other guys have a hairline that creeps back while still maintaining density or volume beyond that. If you are a guy with a creeping hairline, the bad news is that it is very possible that it is male pattern baldness (unless it is just the normal, minor recession that creates a "mature hairline"). You will probably know in your gut if you have male pattern baldness.

The good news is that type of hair loss can often tend to be better suited for hair transplant satisfaction than a guy who is losing hair all over the top of his head.

My suggestion is to stop the progression as best you can, with the least complicated regimine as possible... probably Propecia or Avodart but you decide, just beware that 99% of the stuff out there is crap. Try to keep as much of your original hair as possible. You can't replace everything with transplanted hair (not even close) so the more original hair you can keep, the better off you are in the long run.

If you get a transplant, pick a doctor whose work seems to be possibly the best in the world, often these doctors aren't the most expensive and in some cases they can even be cheaper than franchises (which I suggest you avoid) like Bosley NuHart PAI or MHR. Do yourself a favor and do lots of research before getting any surgery, keep asking questions and keep learning.

after looking at you post I think I'm about where you were before your HT. I'm just not looking for a complete fix, just a little bit to give me more options with my hair style and maybe if it didn't look so bad when wet. I also don't have thousands of dollars to throw down on a procedure, so I kinda have to see what I can do. To me anything is better then nothing.

If your hair is still pretty good then I suggest holding off on surgery (I'm not sure your exact status). Your comment about fixing the temples is sometimes heard from young guys who want to use transplants to erase all evidence of hair loss.

Of course hair loss is progressive and so trying to use transplants to hide all evidence of hair loss is usually unrealistic and sometimes a disaster down the road.

Your comment about not expecting "a complete fix" seems sensible. Better to go in with modest expectations and be surprised, than to expect perfection and be disappointed (or extremely disappointed).

Pick a great doctor, or don't do it at all, in my opinion. The great ones are rare but are worth the extra effort to find and in many cases travel to.

Yeah what I want too do is add about 400-500 grafts on my corner temples. If I were to do all my thinning areas it would probably take about 1000 grafts, but I don't mind still appearing with a receding hairline, the smallest improvement will make me happy.

New pics will be up in the coming days, I will be 6 months out of the chair on Feb 9th. I will get a new haircut this week to have my donor area REALLY short then post pics. I kinda wish I went a little more aggressive on the temples.

Chris, don't kid yourself about the 'little improvement' thing. Thats how I felt, now I regret not going 'BIG'. Although Dr.Hasson probably wouldn't go any more aggressive than he did. He did pile 2100 grafts into a relatively small area....