Potential Recommendation of Dr. Robert Jones of Ontario

Dear Forum Members,

As many of you know, we gather as much information as possible about a physician, their staff, technique and track record before they are even considered for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. Part of our review process involves getting input from patients and the members of this forum community. To learn more about this review process, click here.

I would appreciate this community's input on the potential recommendation of Dr. Robert Jones of Ontario on the Hair Transplant Network. At this time, Dr. Jones is only being considered for recommendation, not the Coalition. To see our standards for recommendation, click here.

Dr. Jones has been performing exclusive hair transplant surgery for 13 years and usually operates on only 1 patient daily depending on the size of the session. He has 8 medical technicians averaging 7 years of experience assisting him on a daily basis to provide optimal care for his patients. Dr. Jones and his staff have the capability to perform regular sessions of over 3000 follicular unit grafts when appropriate for the patient, his largest to date, being approximately 5000 grafts.

While Dr. Jones does perform some FUE cases, approximately 80% of his practice is dedicated to performing high quality follicular unit hair transplantation. Dr. Jones admits that though FUE is a viable option for some patients, hair growth yield is often less reliable than with strip surgery.

Dr. Jones customizes his approach to each patient blending skill with artistry. All follicular units are carefully trimmed and closely refined under microscopes and placed into tiny incisions by his highly experienced staff. Dr. Jones places and staggers all single follicular units in the hairline to produce the most natural and undetectable results. Harvesting the donor strip with a single blade, Dr. Jones minimizes transection of viable follicles. Dr. Jones closes the wound using a single or double layer trichophytic closure depending on scalp tightness to reduce tension on the wound.

Dr. Jones prefers making parallel (sagital) incisions because the blade slides more easily in between existing hairs with damaging them. Parallel (coronal/lateral) incisions are reserved for completely bald areas, which he believes allows him to densely pack grafts more closely together. Dr. Jones uses minimally invasive incisions as small as .7mm to minimize trauma to the scalp and maximize dense packing when appropriate for the patient. Creating a gradual progression of density, Dr. Jones places higher densities up to 50-60 FU/cm2 in the front and tapers back to 20-40 in the crown depending upon donor availability and the balding area.

Given Dr. Jones' dedication to high quality follicular unit hair transplantation, I believe he should be considered for recommendation.

Patient and surgical examples can be found below:

2163 Grafts with Dr. Jones

2720 Grafts with Dr. Jones

1989 Grafts with Dr. Jones

7724 Grafts over 2 Sessions with Dr. Jones

1369 Grafts into Hairline with Dr. Jones

4128 Grafts with Dr. Jones

Surgical - 2264 Grafts with Dr. Jones

3356 Grafts with Dr. Jones 14 Weeks Post-Op

I welcome input and comments from forum members regarding his potential recommendation.

Hello vincehair,

Unfortunately, I am not able to reply to specifics of this patient, because he has not signed a release.

In general terms, all hair restoration surgeons have patients that are unhappy with there final density and/ or their 5 mm scar. I stand behind all my work by increasing patient density or placing fue into their scar at no charge.

Dr. Robert Jones

Hi again vincehair

Several years ago another doctor and myself started an organization called the ISFUES. It ceased to exist after a few years and reference to it remained on my site. All reference to it was removed after it was pointed out that it was there.

vincehair, I would suggest if you have specific complaints or know patients with specific complaints, have them sign a release and post on this site, so I can defend myself directly, rather than referencing hairlosshelp,

Dr. Robert Jones

Interesting that Dr. Jones would make an attempt to get back into this forum. As I recall, he was removed a while ago due to the many dissapointed patient comments.

If anyone does decide to file a class action lawsuit, please count me in.

I had my suregery about 4 years ago with Dr. Jones (or shall we say his incompetent and inconsiderate staff because he was hardly present during the procedure).

After wearing a hairpiece for so many years and of course never expecting the same results or density, Dr. Jones convinced me that he could give me the results I wanted. After $12,000 and TWO excruciatingly painful procedures, I am still wearing my hairpiece because the density is probably only 30% of what was promised and expected.

After my complaint, Dr. Jones insisted that my hair shaft was too fine which is why it's not as dense as I was expecting it to be. My response was that my hair was the same thickness prior to the surgery and why hadn't he advised me of this then? It's all about the money and I'm sure my $12,000 barely covers the property tax on his home - or maybe just a quarter of it.

It's actually quite disheartening to see how many poor vulnerable souls have been negatively affected by this so called surgeon and why our medical system and governments allow such doctors to continue to take peoples' money only to promise false results. Maybe he is just oblivious to his own results and has no clue as to the agony and emotional - not to mention financial stress he has caused on so many of his patients.

Hello Momo88,

First of all, I was not removed from this site, I withdrew my sponsorship voluntarily.

Please sign a release and I will go to my office and find your chart and look at you pictures.

All patients who wear a hair piece are warned that they will never get the density that they are used to.

I would also be interested to hear of when you had the pain. We use medications to control pain in the office and can give medications to control pain after surgery. I am continually asking patients if they are feeling anything in the office, and wouldn't hesitate to give more medication if necessary. Did you have pain in both procedures? or just the second? If the experience was so bad for the first surgery, why did you come back for a second? Was the $12,000 bill for two large surgeries?

I look forward to looking for your chart and responding to your concerns,

Dr. Robert Jones

Originally posted by hair doctor:

First of all, I was not removed from this site, I withdrew my sponsorship voluntarily.

Dr Jones,

I was just curious why you withdrew your sponsorship previously and now are interested in coming back?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Hi Wantego,

I think Pat and Bill do an great job with this site. A few years ago I was spending a fair amount of money on several sites and decided to stop sponsorship of these sites to lower my expenses.

Looking at where this site has come in the last few years, and with opportunity to display my work on line, I think this would be a good community to belong to,

Thanks,

Dr. Robert Jones

Dear forum members,

We appreciate your input thus far on Dr. Jones' potential recommendation.

As I expected from some private feedback I've already acquierd, there would be a great deal of controversy surrounding his inclusion in our community.

In speaking with Dr. Jones, I told him that it is up to him to convince this community that he does ethically sound high quality work. However, let's be sure when considering him for potential recommendation we are looking at information we can substantiate.

Let's lay all potential issues out on the table and then give Dr. Jones a chance to respond to them before throwing down the gavel.

Vincehair,

I resent the fact that you feel that we don't consider patient member feedback seriously. I think you ought to look back at the number of threads where patient member feedback resulted in a removal of a recommended surgeon. But when making a decision, Pat and I have to consider all the evidence we've seen. I'm sorry you don't seem to have an appreciation for our process.

Momo88,

Since you claim to be an actual patient of his, please give Dr. Jones the necessary permission to discuss your case publicly. That way educated members can make an educated decision based on all the evidence.

Please contact Dr. Jones to give him the permission he needs or if you prefer, feel free to send me your full name, phone number, and date and location of surgery privately and I'll send him the information to contact you with a release.

Best wishes,

Bill

I can only speak for myselve and my experience with dr. Jones.

He performed one of the first ever FUE megassesions on me, I believe it was 2003.

I had a great experience during the treatment and I was even more pleased with the final outcome.

Thx dr. Jones for helping me get back on track and also for your help introducing FUE into Europe.

Bart

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Dr. Jones,

Though I know your hands are tied to discuss a patient's case unless they sign a release, can you please address the following:

"After being in touch with the American Hair Loss Association I found out that I was not alone in the least. Dr. Jones

had been removed from the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS) due to consistent patient

complaints. The Bald truth did a segment on Dr Jones and how he has been consistently delivering poor results accompanied by extensive scarring. The final blow was when I learned that I had been duped by Dr. Jones.

Dr. Jones had posted bogus credentials on his website and used these false credentials as a sales pitch during my pre-op consults. He claimed double board certification from nonexistent boards. When another mangled patient of Dr. Jones learned of this he called him out on it. Immediately Dr. Jones removed these falsified credentials from his website. In an email to Dr. Jones I asked him about this issue. He replied to me that these credentials were on his site in error."

Though I've heard of Spencer Kobren badmouthing physicians on his talk show simply because they won't join his little club, I think it's important as we consider you for potential recommendation to hear your side of the story.

Best wishes,

Bill

vincehair,

In response to Spencer Kobren's opinion, in 2003 he started calling my office begging me to join his organization. I was amazed at the $10,000 fee but reluctantly agreed. He said he had done ample research and felt that I was doing high quality work and would fit well into his group. Two years later, he had a couple of patient complaints about my work whom were posting on hlh, and he removed me from his site. These patients refused to sign waivers and I was unable to defend myself so I am unable to comment specifically about their cases.

Given that I was never able to defend myself against these patients, I don't think it is fair to judge me based on a series of lies and half truths.

We are all aware of the current investigations into Kobren's illegal activities. Given his ethics, I wouldn't personally give any weight to his opinions.

Dr. Robert Jones

In the past year, I have spent a considerable amount of time on various forums, researching various doctors and their work and getting a pretty good feel for who's good, and who's not. While I have heard almost nothing positive of Dr. Jones in that time (in fact, not a single patient can I recall saying they were happy with their results) I can also say I have not heard much bad about this doctor, but everything I HAVE heard WAS bad.

On that alone I would have never considered seeing him to have any work done (assuming I was researching for my first ever session)

Based on that, would I recommend him to someone? Nope. Would I support his inclusion in your group of recommended doctors? Nope.

Dr. Jones, your reputation is not exactly a good one. I'm really unfamiliar with your work, and I ALSO realize to take EVERYTHING you hear on the internet with a grain of salt. What I look for is repeatability, and opinions I've read are negative. I am NOT saying, however, they are accurate. Just that there are others all holding the same opinion, for reasons I never explored too much.

That's my .02, and I'm not trying to attack your qualifications Dr. Jones, only to say what my own observations have been over the past year

It boggles my mind how Dr. Jones could even be considered for recommendation.

Speaking as one of many patients who was victimized by Dr. Robert Jones I am in shock.

This doctor not only lied to my face 12 months post-op about my density, he had been

falsifying his credentials on his website to attract unsuspecting members of the

hair loss community. I have attached Dr. Jones' previous webpage which was immediately

altered once he was called out on his falsified credentials. For comparison

see http://www.drrobertjones.com/about.html.

If you are unfamiliar with my case there are ample pictures posted on Hair Loss Help with

a complete explanation of what was promised and what was delivered (search McLovin).

To sum it up ??“ I am left with a density of roughly 20 hairs/cm squared in the hairline

(100 hairs/cm squared was originally agreed upon; at my 12 month consult Dr. Jones assured

me that it was roughly 70 hairs/cm squared) and I have an extensive scar in the back

measured at 6mm.

After Dr. Jones ignored countless complaints I finally got his attention by demonstrating

outside his office showing his potential unsuspecting clientele the 'Jones Technique' first hand.

At this point Dr. Jones was willing to attempt to repair the scar and add density to the hairline.

By now I had already consulted with numerous 'Top' surgeons and the consensus was that Dr. Robert Jones

had already made enough of a mess and I was best off getting this 'professionally' repaired.

To Dr. Jones: I will not be responding to any public discussion of this issue. You had your chance

to discuss this issue in a responsible, professional manner and you chose to ignore me.

robjoneswebpage.thumb.jpg.0a46675912790304017c59a4d538ef5b.jpg

Dr. Jones,

I do not know you, but have read alot about you being a poor quality surgeon, aswell i feel you may be of poor character due to a video you claimed you INVENTED FUE, which is false. I have read threads about you treating patients poorly and producing poor results.

noone has to sign a waiver in order for you to defend your name to the above.

I commend you for attempting to use accell.

So, I do have an idea, I live in the GTA, if you can get your Best result in the GTA and me in the same room together and I say "wow, his hair is way better than mine", then I would probabally come on here and tell everyone that you are as great as you make yourself out to be.

consider it, I'm not a shifty poster and I dont lie.

2998 grafts/ Dr. Rahal/ 9/11/2007

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal

Pretty damn happy

Hi Wylie,

You have to remember that I have no paid consultants on the internet defending my reputation. Up till about about a week or two ago, I didn't go on to sites to defend my reputation. Patients, even with bogus claims and who are unwilling to sign disclaimers are free to post on these sites without defending their position. If you look at the results posted on this site, you can see that I am able to produce FUT results as good as any hair restoration doctor. All I ask, is that you allow me to defend myself in front of any patient that signs a consent allowing me to give my side of the story and defend myself. As we all know , these sites are full of patients and salespeople with hidden agendas. Without the ability to give both sides of the story, the information given on these sites means nothing.

Thanks for the opportunity to respond,

Dr. Robert Jones

Bill has asked that I defend the position that I was among the first in North America to perform FUE.

Ask Dr. Feller, Dr Wolf, Dr. Alvi, Dr. Ken Washenik, Dr. Limmer, Dr. Hasson, Dr. Unger, or one of the 50 other doctors that were present at the meeting in 2003 in Little Rock, Arkansas who was the first doctor in North America to perform large session FUE. I did a demonstration surgery as well as presented several patients showing the results of FUE years before other doctors had even attempted it.

I would ask that any of the doctors at this meeting to step up to verify my claim, any of the above, (except maybe Dr. Alvi) would be more than happy to do so,

Thanks,

Dr. Robert Jones