Sun exposure while inside a car

Hi, i am one month post-op and as i drive alot i wanted to ask whether sun exposure can have any effect while your inside the car.

i have been wearing cap so far and would like to take it off while im driving; however i do not want the grafts to have any effects on growth.

any advice would be great.

thanks for the quick response sparky.

just to add another concern relating to sun exposure. Would the sunlight have any effect when your going into and out of the car for example several times a day? (basically a few minutes of sun exposure several times during the day)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Sparky:

Its no longer sun exposure if there is glass in the way. Glass takes out the ultraviolet light. You cant get sunburnt when theres glass inbetween you and the sun.

Sparky, I'm not doubting your knowledge about this but I was wondering if anybody else can back this statment up? I had no clue that glass blocks UV light. I'm just a little concerned bc I have a 4 hour car ride next week.

Question: "Can I get sunburned through my car windows?"

Answer: Unless you're taking a drive in a convertible with the top down on a bright, sunny day, you won't get a burn or increase your risk of developing skin cancer just from sitting in a car-even if it is sunny outside. "UVB rays are primarily responsible for tanning, burning and most forms of skin cancer, and they can't travel through glass," explains Dr. Weinstock. "UVA rays [which do penetrate glass] are 100 times weaker, so it's highly unlikely they can induce tanning or burning, or up your cancer risk much on their own," he says. One caveat: It's presumed that UVA rays are the main culprit behind premature aging, wrinkling and discolorations. When it comes to sun protection, your rule of thumb should be to use a full-spectrum sunscreen inside-and outside-your car every day.

Originally published in Fitness magazine.

Originally posted by Sparky:

Its no longer sun exposure if there is glass in the way. Glass takes out the ultraviolet light. You cant get sunburnt when theres glass inbetween you and the sun.

Sparky, based on personal experience, I'll have to disagree with you on this. My left arm is way more tanned than the rest of my body... that's the body part most exposed to the sun when I am driving... and I often take long drives. Btw, I always have my car windows up.

Would you be able to point to a credible scientific study or credible website that would back this claim? Thanks!

Forrest,

You are right and Sparky is wrong. Window glass will block most UV but not all of it. You can still get burned from the sunlight that comes through the window of your car, I have. I use an extra visor to block the light that comes through the driver's side window to reduce my risk of getting skin cancer.

YES you can get burned in it, if your in it 100 times longer ,and if your one of those silly people who have tinted thier car windows, then it will let more UVA through, but your skin still wont get burnt, the damage will be below the skin, I've sat in the conservatory all day before with the sun on my face and didnt get burnt whatsoever, or go even slightly red. Another thing about this is that sunscreen itself can contain chemicals that will cause cancer, so what do you suggest we do?

I edited this post after speaking to my wife whos a scientist.

Standard car windows act much like a sunscreen and block most of the harmful rays, BUT NOT ALL of them.

IMO since anyone getting a hair transplant is forking over a fairly substantial amount of money, if there is ever any doubt as to the harm of exposure or anything else that can have a negative impact on your investment, just play it safe rather than sorry!

PanamaJimmy

Some usefull information here by everyone. It would be interesting to hear from a Doctors point of view as well. These small things could have negative effect on the delicate investment that we make if not handled correctly. So please lets have some Doctors input to understand this issue about UV through car windows.