Caution Some med's cause hairloss

dakota3

Guys,

I was reading on WebMD about how some med's actually increase or cause hairloss."may not be news to some" Now for most of us MPB will eventually set in and rob us of our hair follicles, but for some you may want to look into possible side effects of your medications to see if hair loss is one of them.

For example ME. I take Wellbutrin xl . Ive been on it for several years. Originally I took it to quit smoking but realized after I quit smoking and quit the medication I became irritable and depressed so I started back on it. I never gave it a thought that this medication could cause hair loss until I decided to read up on it. I read hundreds of testimonials of how Wellbutrin has caused hairloss in these people.

If you are on med's for any reason at all it may be worth reading up on the side effects. Im going to look into another type of medication and will keep you all up to date and see if "cross my fingers" any hair can grow back.

My thought is that meds will cause diffuse loss. For people without diffuse loss it should be apparent whether or not the meds are causing hairloss. If you already have diffused thinning it may be more difficult to tell if the meds are accelerating your hairloss.

I had the same situation with Wellbutrin and quitting smoking and then staying on Wellbutrin. But I haven't seen any change in hairloss.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

dakota3,

This is absolutely correct. Certain medications can cause temporary or even permanent diffuse hair loss. This is distinct from genetic pattern baldness however, men or women with pattern baldness have a lower probability of regrowing lost hair from medication.

In my research, I've found that some blood pressure medications can cause hair loss, and women should be aware that high androgen index birth controls may be responsible for thinning hair.

In my opinion, anyone who is considering taking any kind of medication should become fully aware of the potential side effects before taking it.

Best wishes,

Bill

All true Bill, but of men sitting across the desk from me in the office....by and large hair loss is a combination of genes and luck.

If you have a family full of class 7's, in all likelyhood you will lose some hair whether or not you take almost any med. And if you have noone in your family with hairloss, and you aren't on meds, you aren't suffering from some acute stressful event, odds are that your hairloss is still genetic, you just have the bad luck to express those genes while other men in your family don't. Of course I am speaking of MPB hairloss patterns here.

So I agree that we all ought to be informed as to what meds we are taking, and what food we are eating, and what stress we are keeping inside us...not just for hair but for total body health. But by and large in men, its the family that determines hairloss. You can pick your friends, pick your nose, but you can't pick your family...

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

even after reading my medications side effects..."nausea, vomiting, diaherrea, suicidal thoughts" it says "this is only a PARTIAL list of potential side effects". icon_rolleyes.gif

anyone know if chantix and ambien can cause hair loss?

Delicately helping those fragile souls who suffer from hair loss, w/motherly nourishment & care.

The reason this topic interested me more than others is because there is no one in my family "both sides" that is experiencing as much or more hairloss than I am no matter the age. I did a little digging and found that the medication Im taking causes hairloss. So Im HOPING that this is the main cause.... Although Im not holding my breath.

This is an interesting topic, that could end up with a list of medications that COULD cause hair loss. I will be very interested for such a list.

Originally posted by Ron J:

even after reading my medications side effects..."nausea, vomiting, diaherrea, suicidal thoughts" it says "this is only a PARTIAL list of potential side effects". icon_rolleyes.gif

anyone know if chantix and ambien can cause hair loss?

For the 1st paragraph if you referring to anti-depressants, no. I have looked at many forums and never read about hair loss, same with ambien.

For the 1st paragraph if you referring to anti-depressants, no. I have looked at many forums and never read about hair loss, same with ambien

Wellbutrin can be considered an anti-depressant and can cause hairloss

Here is a partial list of adverse reactions attributable to SSRI medications:

Insomnia

Vivid and violent dreams

Inability to detect dreams from reality (The world takes on an other-worldly aspect)

No emotions

Inability to feel guilt or cry

Nausea

Loss of appetite

Rash; Breathing or lung problems

Heart fluttering

Shaking - jitteriness

Memory impairment

Hair loss

Blurred vision or pressure behind the eyes

Inability to discontinue use of drug and increasing own dose

Cravings for alcohol, sweets, and other substances or drinking large sums of alcohol, coffee or other caffeinated drinks, diet pop with NutraSweet, etc.

Headaches

Swelling and/or pain in joints

Burning or tingling in extremities

Muscle twitching or contractions

Tongue numbness and slurred speech

Sweating

Dizziness

Confusion

Chills or cold sweats

Muscle weakness

Extreme fatigue

Diabetes or hypoglycemia

Lowered immune system

Seizures or convulsions

Weight gain or weight loss

Mood swings

Altered personality

Symptoms of mania, ie., inability to sit still or restlessness, racing thoughts, acting silly or giddy (like a teenager again)

Deceitfulness

Blank staring

Inability to see any alternatives in situations

Hyperactivity

Originally posted by dakota3:
OK sorry I will rephrase it, SSRIs as far as I know do not cause hair loss

http://www.medications.com/se/wellbutrin/hair-loss

Read this if you dont think ssri's cause hairloss. I believe you would have to look at each medication seperatley to come to any conclusion

You are wrong, wellbutrin is not SSRI

Dickota3 - you are one of lives victims no?

If I were you, youd be a lot smarter, lol - j/k

If I were you i Get off these horrible drugs your taking, they will not help longterm, pharma drugs are evil, change your diet, I suffer from depression beofre, but i'm a man.

I change diet and take omega 3 oils, quality types, depression lifted, if environment or person causing depression, remove them.

If I were you, youd be a lot smarter, lol - j/k

Whine baby, Well with your aweful spelling and lack of knowledge of the english language It doesnt sound like you'd be smarter than anyone. LOL j/k back at ya! icon_razz.gif

So are you saying that a man who takes med's is not a man?

Originally posted by dakota3:

Stamo's

I never said wellbutrin was an SSRI. I was replying back to your comment of SSRI's not causing hairloss.

Dakota's

the list you posted on the 29th is very hard to believe. I don't say you made it by yourself but we shouldn't believe anything that anyone writes on the internet. Maybe some of these sides are in one in a million analogy and some of them contradict with each other and some of them are totally false, like Loss of Appetite, as the most common by far SSRI side effect is the weight gain from increased appetite.

And please don't attack me for my knowledge of english language, because this is an international forum and english is my third spoken language, thanks.

Stamo's,

I appologize if you think I was attacking you but if you re-read the last couple of comments you'll realize that the comment was'nt directed at you at all.I applaud you for knowing more than one language. 2nd I know we should not believe everything we read on the intenet however I copied and pasted the side effects from a reputible medical site. I understand that these side effects are rare but they would not be listed if they "couldnt" happen.

No need for apology, I understood that your previous to last comment wasn't directed to me, you have quoted a part of the really silly post of the poster you directed your comment to.

I was just afraid that you will attack me for my english, like you (ironically) applaud me above.

My previous post's meaning was that we shouldn't rely on copy paste from other sites without further investigating.

I stand by my comment to that poster!Mostly because he is rude! This thread was originally started by me only because I felt like "some" of my hairloss "could" be attributed to the med's that I have since stopped taking. I only put a partial list up of side effects because hairloss is on the list.

Winston,

Whereas you added a "lol" and "J/K" to your comment, I can't for the life of me figure out why you made the comment you did to insult dakota's intelligence. Dakota has a long standing reputation here as a helpful member and you ought to show him some respect.

I've actually already warned you about name calling. Adding a "lol" and "J/K" at the end of an insult doesn't make the insult humorous or ok.

Since you are new here and I believe you are trying, I'm going to give you one more chance.

Please feel free to offer your input, experience, and opinion, but do it respectfully or you won't last long here.

Best wishes,

Bill