Three to Four years to go

A Japanese wig making company bought Bosley Medical because they were afraid that future medical advances would wipe out the wig industry. They decided to benefit from this possible trend instead of suffering from it.

Bosley Medical may have gained a bad rep on this board but I hear that they are now spending a lot of money on research.

Read about a mascot mouse named Harry on the second page of this article in Wired Magazine

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/baldness.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=

Now read this article

http://www.cambridgegateway.com/news/2004/archive_icx_bosley.htm

Finally read this article

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/96/103836.htm?action=related_link

It sounds very possible that a cure might be just a few years away.

Cheers,

B

A Japanese wig making company bought Bosley Medical because they were afraid that future medical advances would wipe out the wig industry. They decided to benefit from this possible trend instead of suffering from it.

Bosley Medical may have gained a bad rep on this board but I hear that they are now spending a lot of money on research.

Read about a mascot mouse named Harry on the second page of this article in Wired Magazine

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/baldness.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=

Now read this article

http://www.cambridgegateway.com/news/2004/archive_icx_bosley.htm

Finally read this article

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/96/103836.htm?action=related_link

It sounds very possible that a cure might be just a few years away.

Cheers,

B

Great research and great reading, IB.

One of our recommended physicians, Dr. Jerry Cooley, is conducting research with Intercytex on hair multiplication techniques.

He was also the physician that performed my hair transplant procedure. You can see my results here.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody, this is actually my first post on this forum because so far I've just been reading through almost all the stories here... there's really alot of useful information to find! Great!

Well, anyways, I just stumbled across a very interesting and exciting piece of news from Intercytex (the company Robert named 2 posts above)and I thought you might find that one intersting. Looks like we might finally have something in the line icon_wink.gif. At least it sounds promising...they plan to start Phase III trials as early as 2007!

ICX-TRC Hair Regeneration Therapy

Cheers, Dash

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by jackisback:

I just creamed my jeans.

Always great to hear someone likes the content of the forums!

Does this mean that we need to put up a Parental Advisory warning now?

icon_redface.gif

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by mr invisible:

will this elimate the need for propecia?

Well, that is kind of up to the patient. Since it is not cell manipulation to the point that you are getting a shot and growing new hair by your body's own devices, there would still be the very real possibility of new loss even after treatment. Though subsequent treatments would certainly be possible, an internal DHT inhibition device such as Propecia would most likely still be utilized by those that would rather keep what they have and have the one procedure to fill in what they don't instead of "chasing" their hair loss.

-Robert

• 4 weeks later...

When do you guys think we will know?

I'm 19 and right now my hairline is receding, although, looking back at old pictures it seems to have always been high, the hair is thinning more than receding. Anyways, lets say two or three years from now I get a surgery and pack in a nice thick low hairline using some of my thicker hairs from the back/side. Do you guys think by then we will know 99% whether or not this Hair Multiplication thing is coming fast? Say, within the next 5-7 years when I might have to get another operation to avoid cosmetic disaster. It seems to me that by 2-3 years from now we should know for sure what's up, but then again, seeing posts here on the topic dated back to 2002 aren't very reassuring. Speaking of date, has anyone found any news on the subject dated after 2004? The lack of that also disturbs me.

jackisback,

We would all like to know the definitive answer to that question, but until we do it may be better to err on the side of caution in terms of a hair restoration proedure. This is not to say that you shouldn't focus on getting the result you want, but you should definitely use your limited donor area hair wisely and plan for the future.

Intercytex puts out press releases fairly regularly on their website and keeps browsers relatively up-to-date on their progress. You can see the latest press releases here.

-Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend Propecia. If the hair is going away in the front, Propecia has a good chance at slowing or stopping this process. I have a receding hair line (I've had one since I was 18) and Propecia stopped it for me. I then had a hair transplant. I only had one procedure where they recommended two, but one was enough for the results that I wanted. I will use Propecia until cell multiplication is commercial and then get that treatment. According to my Doc, If you have side effects with Propecia, they will go away within a month or two because Propecia has a small half life.

As for Intercytex, they have completed their phase I trials and will start their phase II in early 2006. It looks like five of the seven guys in phase I had success (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175646,00.html read near the bottom of article). Phase II is where the efficacy of the therapy will be tested (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_trial#Types_of_clinical_trials). Intercytex states on their website that Phase III will be start in 2007. So by 2007, we should know the results of phase II and have a good idea of the efficacy of the therapy.

Long a short - GET ON PROPECIA!!! If you are happy with your current appearance and Propecia keeps you there, you are golden. If you would like improvement and Propecia maintains your hairline for a while, you can consider a transplant. If you continue to lose hair rapidly, you should wait until the loss slows down.

Cheers,

IB

• 2 months later...

FYI guys, there's some new articles out about HM. I just found them through google news search. Found a lot more results from typing "hair cloning" [quotations included] than "hair multiplication" [ditto].

Apparently this company in Manchester, England is working on this, I had previously only heard of Bosley working on this. The company from Manchester just got involved in some kind of British stock market. I really hope this will be a reality and not some kind of scam to get money from investors or something. There's more articles than this if you do a google news search, but these i felt were the most significant.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&S...06/0004247226&EDATE=

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/business/s/202/20...r_hair_raising_.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthology/story?id=1475354

• 2 weeks later...

The company that Jackisback speaks of is called InterCytex. Apparently they are ahead of Bosley/Aderans in the hair cloning/hair multiplication race. I believe they are currently in Phase 2 trials or will be starting them soon. Both companies are pointing to 2009 or 2010 for a commercial release.

I cant wait until there are new and better treatments besides getting a HT. Although I will be getting my 2nd HT in April, I just think that the notion or the procedure of a HT is so barbaric, I know that it is the only true solution to filling the bald spots. But really, think about it, think about how barbaric it is. A Dr. cuts you and takes hair and than, punches holes on your head and places the hairs. I cant believe that we are in the year 2006 and there is no other solution to balding. I would just like the companies outthere to work alittle faster and harder and develope technologies as they did for eyesight. It is kind of absurd to me that I can walk into a clinic or a doctors office, pay 4500 dollars and have my eyesight restored to almost 20/20 within a couple of minutes for 10 to 9 years and not have anything similar to balding.

Haha yes. It's incredible to me that there's basically not anything some of us can do in 2006. And eye surgery! As far as I know damn near 100% success rate. Ridiculous because there ARE glasses out there that people can look good in, and socially acceptable. Not so for wigs. Now I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I personally don't think we should have our hopes up to get HM by 2009-2010, because I'm pretty sure I've read posts on this board from 2001 of people saying it was 5 years away.

I'll tell you what really pisses me off: why can't InterCytex and Bosley/Aderans just work together? Other than of course that they want to make profits.

• 2 years later...
Originally posted by jason_d:

I just think that the notion or the procedure of a HT is so barbaric, I know that it is the only true solution to filling the bald spots. But really, think about it, think about how barbaric it is. I would just like the companies outthere to work alittle faster and harder and develope technologies as they did for eyesight.

I couldn't have said this any better myself. This was the exact attitude I expressed to a local hair transplant clinic after they told me about the procedure and revealed that due to how I sport my hairstyle it would reveal a scar. (short and cut somewhat close to my skin; being half black/ half white)

She asked me what I thought about the procedure and being 18 at the time (now 20) and living in such a technologically advanced society I sat there in aw, clearly displaying disappointment and amaze in the lack of development within the industry. I definitely thought of a much more advanced procedure than the only viable option I was presented with.

Between the consultation and now I find myself scrutinizing people in similar and worse situation's than me paying much more attention to MPB and the countless individuals it effects.

For an industry which is said to yield $7 billion dollars in North America and effecting millions of people it's disappointing there aren't further advancements...

Im going to do further research on this topic and I'll post everything with relevance which hasn't been posted

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...