How Can You Tell If You Got Your Money Worth

It seems like some type of photoshop image generator would be a great tool to show the patient what to expect. The program could use your current hairloss, and calculate a rough approximation what you would look like after full growth given FU/CM2, individual hair characteristics, hair style, etc.

The biggest problem on deciding whether you are getting your money's worth is trying to estimate what you will look like after X number of grafts have been implanted. Looking at pics of other patient results is a good start but a more exact tool is needed.

Originally posted by HairDew:

Severn,

I don't think this tool will be accurate. All people are different, your genetic predisposition to hair loss, caliber of your hair, skin tone etc.

These variables could all be entered into a program. They could show you what you would look like after the transplant with your current hair pattern. Then subtract all the hairs that are existing to show what it would look like if only the transplanted hairs remained (in a worst case scenerio).

Caliber of hair(fine, course, medium, wavy, kinky, etc.) along with skin tone(dark, fair, medium, etc.) could all be easily entered variables. Lighting could be adjusted on the program to show the different scenerios under sunlight, room lighting, flourescent lighting, etc.

It would not be a program that would show you *exactly* what to expect, but it would be a lot better than looking at pics of other patients who are likely best case scenerios that the clinic has.

I think it would be an excellent tool that the patient could adjust on the fly to get a rough idea what he could expect after a year for whatever number of grafts he enters into the program. This would stop a lot of the misconceptions some have thinking that 1500 grafts will give them a full head of hair when it actuality it would only be a start.

Coalition member Dr. William Rassman of California just recently addressed this topic on his Balding Blog and I thought he had a plausible suggestion to ensure patients get what they pay for.

See Unethical Graft Counting - Avoid the Scam.

Clearly, the first and most important step is to find and schedule surgery with a highly reputable surgeon who produces consistent excellent results. A reputable surgeon shouldn't mind the following suggestion.

Learn about graft auditing and how it's done. Then find a friend or family member who can audit your physician's graft counting process. The graft auditor should learn and become familiar with what to look for prior to attempting to audit your procedure. However, it's certainly one sure way of knowing that you've gotten what you paid for.

Best wishes,

Bill

In a related article here

Ways to get ripped off...

Dr. Rassman writes

"Scummy doctors unfortunately give the honest doctors out there a bad name and the good doctors really can't compete with price claims of $3/graft (that actually reflect higher fees). My analysis was reached by my knowledge of the field and the science of hair density calculations which I have defined in the literature. "

Question: Some Coalition Doctors indeed advertise $3 a graft. Are they by inference "scummy" ? or "not good?"

Something I did - I timed the number of grafts placed by the assistant in front of me in a 5 min period using the clock on the wall. Multiplied by 12 for grafts per hour. Then factored in number of assistants working on my scalp.

OK - sometimes assistants left to collect grafts, breaks and sometimes there were more working but my estimate was pretty close to what you said they planted.